Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders is pretty damn intense.  It asks what's real or not in the way of proof or our personal skepticism.  Would love to read others views.  I think the government was dirty but again, there's no proof. Does this make me a conspiracist?   There's a lot to look at, but very little in the way of smoking guns.  It also becomes pretty easy to file this in the Cloak Room as well.  

38 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders is pretty damn intense.  It asks what's real or not in the way of proof or our personal skepticism.  Would love to read others views.  I think the government was dirty but again, there's no proof. Does this make me a conspiracist?   There's a lot to look at, but very little in the way of smoking guns.  It also becomes pretty easy to file this in the Cloak Room as well.  

it gave me some flashbacks to oliver stone's docuseries that used to be on netflix.  no idea where it lives now but it's worth a watch.  10-12 years old.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:40 PM, TexEx15 said:

Another vote for Loudermilk. I hope it gets revived on Netflix.

Binged this over a couple of weeks. Quality slap stick comedy is probably the hardest genre imo - close to none done well imo. Slowed mid second season but I’ve laughed quite a bit and now I’m near the end of the third season. Well done. 

Edited by troph

I watched Luther the Fallen Sun tonight.  It was excellent, but I wondered why they never mentioned any of Luther’s back story since it was kind if important to the story.  I used search, and unbelievably it actually worked and I found out there was series. I found the series for free on Tubi and I watched the first episode.  I can’t believe I never knew this existed.

18 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

It's a story that needs to be out there and an issue that needs to be dealt with...... that being said, the doc was irritating as hell as the girl making it and her friends spent half the doc acting like dumb little giddy teenagers. 

I couldn’t stand it.  Quit after half an hour.  I agree that it’s a story that needs telling, but she wasn’t the one to do it.  

12 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

This is another one I gave up on after less than an episode.  I’m utterly exhausted by the govt conspiracy genre.

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is another one I gave up on after less than an episode.  I’m utterly exhausted by the govt conspiracy genre.

That's on purpose. The govt conspiracy is working effectively.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 3/11/2024 at 7:11 PM, henrygandorf said:

it gave me some flashbacks to oliver stone's docuseries that used to be on netflix.  no idea where it lives now but it's worth a watch.  10-12 years old.

found it on doc+ because that’s a thing. 

7 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Probably already mentioned....but the new season of Somebody Feed Phil is up/out.

Did not know this. Thank you. 

Also, how does one get this job. Asking for myself. 

15 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Is Griselda any good?

I liked it.  It's kind of a cross between the cheesiness/suspect acting of Scarface and the well acted/well written Narcos.

Just about to finish up The Signal.  It's a German series w/ 4 episodes.  Other than all the plot holes, it's not bad.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:11 PM, henrygandorf said:

2nd this.

A lot of of good and overlooked info in there.

It reminded of a book titled something like:

Things Your History Teacher didn't Tell You. Which pointed out how much whitewashing American history textbooks have done over the decades. More actual facts than some of Stone's conjecture.

“To Kill A Tiger”. Hindi language documentary about a gang rape of a 13 yo girl and how she and her father fought to have rapists prosecuted in spite of tremendous pressure by the villagers in small rural town they live in. 

Tough watch. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Alexander was really good.  I love the combination of the historians, archaeology and acting scenes.  Really well done.  Would love to see them do other subjects.

I liked Cleopatra and the two about Mehmet 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, Guadaloopy said:

I gave up too. I like any documentary subject typically, but fuck, tie some of it together once in a while. Just random nonsense 

On 3/14/2024 at 11:28 AM, MissingInAction said:

Loudermilk, how the hell did I miss this one?

Its like if surly held a support group.

I read somewhere that it did really well on Netflix and that we might be seeing a 4th and 5th season 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just started the Gentlemen, very nice so far. Only watched one episode.

I watched a documentary called The Phantom....just enraging. This exact thing is why the death penalty isn't a fair system. A guy gets railroaded for something he didn't do, the cops know who did it and pretend the actual perp doesn't exist. And the same DA is still there, still sticking to his obvious bullshit story. It's the type of prosecutorial misconduct that should have that piece of shit buried under the jail.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

Just started The Bomb and The Cold War. Really interesting first episode exploring the Manhattan Project and minute details, of which you'd expect weren't always the most uplifting, Including girls in a dance school who were downwind from Los Alamos, 40 miles from the first test. They heard the blast, were knocked out of their bunk beds, went outdoors, saw the ash, thought it was snow (in August?). But it was warm to their faces. Understandably so.

Of about 10 girls at the camp only one lived past the age of 30. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Just started The Bomb and The Cold War. Really interesting first episode exploring the Manhattan Project and minute details, of which you'd expect weren't always the most uplifting, Including girls in a dance school who were downwind from Los Alamos, 40 miles from the first test. They heard the blast, were knocked out of their bunk beds, went outdoors, saw the ash, thought it was snow (in August?). But it was warm to their faces. Understandably so.

Of about 10 girls at the camp only one lived past the age of 30. 

Stick to it. I finished watching the final two episodes last night, which brings us to the present. The whole thing is a great refresher on the Cold War and how we got to where we are today.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Someone explain Airbender to me. I’ve never seen a single thing set in that universe. I’ve heard there’s been some good and some bad. 

I enjoyed the live action. Never seen the cartoon. Saw the crappy movie. Took until episode 4 before I was really into it