Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 3/19/2024 at 7:06 PM, Js1 said:

I enjoyed the live action. Never seen the cartoon. Saw the crappy movie. Took until episode 4 before I was really into it 

The cartoon is legitimately one of the best TV shows I’ve ever seen.

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

Bro it’s Netflix. It’s always all of them 

I've watched several shows (mostly Korean stuff) that dropped new episodes weekly on Netflix.  They don't always drop everything at once.  For example, they only dropped 4 episodes so far for Physical 100 season 2.

you create a network sitcom that runs for a decade.

I first learned about him on some documentary a long time ago. Basically, it was centered around him traveling to and living in Russia to develop the Russian version of his American sitcom. It was fascinating.

On 3/20/2024 at 5:57 PM, Radical Larry said:

3 Body Problem drops tomorrow

5 hours ago, Smax said:

I watched 2 episodes last night and I'm really enjoying it, anyone start it?

4 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The beginning was wild. Not for kids. 

Overall, really enjoying this, but If I were coming into this cold, I know I would enjoy it a lot more.  A big piece is lost when you know the answer to the central mystery of the show.  It's very well-acted so far and looks great.  

As a book nerd, I have thoughts on the first two episodes.  SPOILERS inside.

Spoiler

I am not enjoying that they have most of the major characters concentrated in the same friend group.  Feels way too contrived and concentrated.  I'm not sure why they have Cheng Xin filling the Wang Miao "Copernicus" role when they have Auggie who is the obvious recreation of that character.

I think they are doing a GREAT job telling Ye Wenjie's story.

Not a fan of everyone being able to see the stars blinking.  Seems to stretch the capabilities of the sophons as described in the book.

These are minor complaints, though.  Have mostly enjoyed the first two eps and looking forward to binging the rest this weekend.

Edited by Guadaloopy

Can’t get into Fool Me Once. I can’t buy the soap opera smokeshow as an ex-military badass. And why is she so affluent? Is it just family money? Scene on the sidelines with the kids soccer coach about did it for me.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Can’t get into Fool Me Once. I can’t buy the soap opera smokeshow as an ex-military badass. And why is she so affluent? Is it just family money? Scene on the sidelines with the kids soccer coach about did it for me.

She's a smokeshow and was only reason to continue (that and it was all I had downloaded for plane ride...)  Story had good twists and turns but definitely finished thinking I should have read the book instead.

17 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Overall, really enjoying this, but If I were coming into this cold, I know I would enjoy it a lot more.  A big piece is lost when you know the answer to the central mystery of the show.  It's very well-acted so far and looks great.  

Reveal hidden contents

I am not enjoying that they have most of the major characters concentrated in the same friend group.  Feels way too contrived and concentrated.  I'm not sure why they have Cheng Xin filling the Wang Miao "Copernicus" role when they have Auggie who is the obvious recreation of that character.

Not a fan of everyone being able to see the stars blinking.  Seems to stretch the capabilities of the sophons as described in the book.

These are minor complaints, though.  Have mostly enjoyed the first two eps and looking forward to binging the rest this weekend.

I came in blind. Holy shit this show is wild and amazingly done so far 

27 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

She's a smokeshow and was only reason to continue (that and it was all I had downloaded for plane ride...)  Story had good twists and turns but definitely finished thinking I should have read the book instead.

The dramatic loud music that hits with every twist and turn is really cheesy. But I’m still watching because smokeshow and now I’m morbidly curious if they can land the plane. 

• Like 1

I came in blind. Holy shit this show is wild and amazingly done so far 
I just finished the trilogy and I can tell it's going to stick with me for a while and I'm already thinking about rereading it. I thought the first episode was really good and did a great job of visualizing some of the ideas from the book. My wife hasn't read the books and loved the first episode. I'm looking forward to watching her reactions to some of the plot points I already know about

On 3/14/2024 at 6:03 PM, Js1 said:

I liked Cleopatra and the two about Mehmet 

Cleopatra - the Jada Pinkett production?

If you fall into a free preview of mgm+, Domina (wife of Augustus) is very good fwiw. 2 seasons of that and the special series A Spy Among Friends about Kim Philby were all I could find on that network during my short spree. It's not narrated though - solid drama.

Edited by Chopper

On 3/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

The beginning was wild. Not for kids. 

Holy shit it definitely wasn’t.  

On 3/22/2024 at 4:44 PM, Guadaloopy said:

I feel the same, and had I known it was going to be a series on Netflix, I might have skipped the book, as I picked it up and put it down several times before finally finishing it.

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I feel the same, and had I known it was going to be a series on Netflix, I might have skipped the book, as I picked it up and put it down several times before finally finishing it.

I couldn't get through the 1st book, and I tried twice. I just felt like the translation was awkward and disjointed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Episode 7 of 3 Body Problem is powerful. Allergies kicked in.

About to watch the finale and I bet it rules.

Oh damn. I just finished 6. 7-8 for tomorrow 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:44 PM, Guadaloopy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Now through episode 5 and my initial concerns have been completely overcome.  They have done an amazing job adapting the first book, which episode 5 completes.   All of the changes so far have purpose in simplifying the narrative  and adding depth to the motivations of the antagonists.  I’m very impressed.  

Edited by Guadaloopy

I just finished the last episode of Shameless. 

I hated every one of the characters (except for the salt-and-pepper couple) but I got sucked in and watched the entire thing.    The tits and ass helped me stick with it. 

(not the man ass, of course)

On 3/11/2024 at 6:32 PM, Mdhorn said:

It also becomes pretty easy to file this in the Cloak Room as well.  

Not so much since TTom went on his walkabout into the wilderness.

The Octopus Murders is a little like Oak Island. It teases, repeats and restates, and generally jerks your chain. The presentation didn’t lend credence to the Octopus Murders being a grand conspiracy. More like crazy geniuses with access leading a bunch of desperate coke head journalists around by their noses.

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2018 at 10:31 PM, Mileslong said:

Detectorists is one of my favorite shows ever.

Also someone asked about other BBC shows.

Peaky Blinders

Ripper Street

Frankenstein Chronicles

Penny Dreadful

Versailles

Thank yall for this,,, Im finishing Mr Selfridge i love me some BBC

On 3/9/2024 at 12:12 PM, ajax said:

Damsel with Millie Bobby Brown

Can a movie get more cookie cutter than this? Every plot turn is telegraphed. Every character is predictable and paper thin. It's not so much of a story as it is a series of pivotal "moments". Everything in-between just leads up to those moments.

It's not terrible. It's just lazy and forgettable. And if MBB can act, this movie doesn't showcase it.

I liked it. 

Millie was actin her ass off 

the end seemed like I was watching the season finale of season 6 GOT..

Another vote for 3 body problem.  

Spoiler

I just finished episode 6.  Holy shit on the ship scene.  I’ve got an 18 month old that wears converse shoes and seeing the toddlers leg in the rubble with the red converse fucking killed me.  

I'm digging The Wonderful Anthology of Roald Dahl by Wes Anderson. Four episodes starring Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dev Patel (who I thought was the guy who denied the Horns a hot breakfast in College Station in '99) and your other Anderson regulars