Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 3/24/2019 at 6:39 AM, NorthLoop said:

OA season 2 is out... 

*ducks* 

I know most of yall hated the first season but I liked it despite the weird dancing shit. Through 6 of 8 eps in season 2 and shit is definitely weirder, but still good so far. 

i watch it with a glimmer of hope that brit marling gets nekkid

On 3/24/2019 at 8:07 AM, Brew said:

Watched the Dawn Wall and Valley Uprising this weekend. Both are worth watching if you liked Free Solo and haven’t seen them. Also watched Triple Frontier, it was alright I guess.

Cool Dawn Wall fact:  Adam Ondra has since completed it in 8 days solo. He did not do the dyno..went the long way around like Caldwell.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, drifter379 said:
On 3/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Watched Triple Frontier last night.  Better than I expected.

I can’t imagine what kind of shit show you were expecting.

Should have been called "5 of the Dumbest Mofos South of the Equator"

5 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Cool Dawn Wall fact:  Adam Ondra has since completed it in 8 days solo. He did not do the dyno..went the long way around like Caldwell.

I was more drawn in by the fact that he spent YEARS mapping out the possible paths.  Fucking dedicated!

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, Adam Ondra had a clear advantage in that Tommy had done all the legwork and proven it was possible. But that's basically how the history of climbing at Yosemite has been throughout history.

Yeah, and Tommy also prepped him.  If its going on at Yosemite, Caldwell is in on it.

22 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Lucky 13 episode of love death and robots... damn.. I would pay money to see a feature length production of that. The lead reminded me of the star from Discovery. 

I’m surprised she didn’t remind you of Poussey from Orange is the New Black.

it was also good to see that someone found a use for Topher Grace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drewcifer said:

Watched all of Russian Doll last night after catching up on this thread yesterday. Despite finding everything about Natasha Lyonne irritating I was hooked pretty quickly. Not at all what I expected from the initial trailer.

I only got through the first episode of this and it was a chore to do that.  The dialogue was so canned and forced, like they were reading.  And all that "we're so in the know" stuff just seemed so juvenile and cheap.  The "clever" lines like "Fun is for suckers. Staring down the barrel of my own mortality always beats fun" felt false and shallow - like they were straight out of a 16-year-old goth girl's notebook. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

This girl kinda makes my tallywacker wilt, but where did she come from? Seems like she's a female Samuel l Jackson now. Not the black thing, ya know, the being in everything thing.

I don't find her attractive at all.  Different strokes I guess.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:41 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

I only got through the first episode of this and it was a chore to do that.  The dialogue was so canned and forced, like they were reading.  And all that "we're so in the know" stuff just seemed so juvenile and cheap.  The "clever" lines like "Fun is for suckers. Staring down the barrel of my own mortality always beats fun" felt false and shallow - like they were straight out of a 16-year-old goth girl's notebook. 

It takes a couple more episodes to even begin to get to the meat of the show.  Stuff is happening already that is not detectable without context.  Damn good sci fi if you ask me.  Really detailed.  

• Like 1

I have been going through a show Coisa Mais Linda or Most Beautiful Thing, because I am in a lot of musical groups and discussions and my thing is being the be-all end-all expert on all things related to Brazilian music. The show is boring but through three episodes and three quarters of the girls have taken their tops off when I didn't even know Netflix showed nudity. If you want to watch a show about female empowerment and feminism in the fifties/sixties with period costumes and Brazilian music in the background then it could be your thing.

• Like 2

His comedy special from a year ago is great. I'm a fan. I've watched a few episodes and like this a fair bit. Just a different guy with a different perspective. Definitely has a dark, sarcastic sense of humor. I get that. I like that.

He’s a cunt but he owns it. I respect that and I think he’s funny. Probably not someone I’d want to spend time with though.

9 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

I have been going through a show Coisa Mais Linda or Most Beautiful Thing, because I am in a lot of musical groups and discussions and my thing is being the be-all end-all expert on all things related to Brazilian music. The show is boring but through three episodes and three quarters of the girls have taken their tops off when I didn't even know Netflix showed nudity. If you want to watch a show about female empowerment and feminism in the fifties/sixties with period costumes and Brazilian music in the background then it could be your thing.

Not sure if serious.

15 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

Best Netflix movie in a long time. And I think it might be Costner’s best role ever.

I really like how they didn’t focus on Bonnie and Clyde or romanticize them in any way.

For Costner, I like it in relation to A Perfect World.  Like Woody in just about anything.  True story, Woody Harrelson's dad was a gun for hire--assassin.  Did time which is where my dad, assistant warden at the time, met him.  Didn't talk much but told him he never killed someone that hadn't deserved it.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Harrelson

https://allthatsinteresting.com/charles-harrelson.   (interesting story)

Image result for woody harrelson father

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it. Lots of cool period cars and guns. Frank probably walked out of the gun store with 7 figures worth of gear in today’s NFA market. It was an interesting twist that they basically didn’t even show Bonnie or Clyde until their death. 

Edited by Archer

On 3/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, drewcifer said:

She's not in much, it appears. Had a tv role in the Gianni Versace series and now this, and has done five movie roles since OITNB began. The only one of them I saw was Joy, with Jennifer Lawrence.

Yeah, I was thinking of a different girl and they don't even look much alike. But my brain has inept face recognition software.