Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Triple Frontier is pretty good. Nothing flashy. Seems like they left a lot out there because the cast has 4 heavy hitters and one journeyman actor.

I do get tired of movies painting veterans as victims. It seems like Hollywood is still stuck in the Vietnam era. Movies about warriors from other times and civilizations don't have this problem and can even portray a certain nobility. But modern warriors need to be damaged. It seems out of touch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

Triple Frontier is pretty good. Nothing flashy. Seems like they left a lot out there because the cast has 4 heavy hitters and one journeyman actor.

I do get tired of movies painting veterans as victims. It seems like Hollywood is still stuck in the Vietnam era. Movies about warriors from other times and civilizations don't have this problem and can even portray a certain nobility. But modern warriors need to be damaged. It seems out of touch.

The movie being 2 hours long I thought they would add more twists or set pieces in there.  Maybe a struggle to get out the compound.  Or phase 2 back on home soil....or more drama in all the other locations (without spoiling the movie).  But none of them materialized.  All the things that you kinda anticipated to happen simply didnt happen.  everyone just slept-walked through to the end.

Edited by 52-80
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Watched "Senna" and have gone though most of "Formula 1: drive to survive" and I am not an F1 fan.

Of course after enjoying the shows I am now wondering why the hell I am not an F1 fan.

I was talking with my friend yesterday - he's a higher-up at Indy Car... told them WTF are they doing NOT having a show like this.  I don't care for F1 but that show is great. The production value is very high.  Makes F1 seem competitive when we all know it's not.  Indy Car must do a series like that.  Better personalities, better competition.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Queer Eye's next season landed today.  First episode is really good.  I love these guys.  I wish I could just be friends with them.

CSB Alert: My friend's neighbor was a cameraman for this, he was super secret about about the locations and spoilers. He wouldn't even tell us where in the city he was shooting for the day. Very eyerolly. 

The movie being 2 hours long I thought they would add more twists or set pieces in there.  Maybe a struggle to get out the compound.  Or phase 2 back on home soil....or more drama in all the other locations (without spoiling the movie).  But none of them materialized.  All the things that you kinda anticipated to happen simply didnt happen.  everyone just slept-walked through to the end.

Yeah that’s kind of how I felt, but I still enjoyed it. Was kind of surprised by Affleck’s ending though.

Okay I’m on episode four of the Madeline McCann thing and wow, I don’t think I’ve ever done such a 180 on my opinion on a case in one of these docuseries.

And there are eight episodes. No telling where this is going next.

If you like true crime docuseries, watch this.

My God.

Just finished the Madeleine McCann series.

I won’t expound much as not to spoil but I have to say, bless that family and I hope they find peace one day.

And FUCK the Portuguese police.

And Jim Gamble, the British police officer who heads their Child Exploitation Unit, is an amazing man.

Jesus, I’m glad my kids are grown - I’m going to have trouble sleeping after all that, I cannot imagine still having little kids and the thoughts I would be having.

Triple frontier was meh...

Spoiler

The whole weight payload was stupid.  why not put as much as you can in the helicopter and drop the rest in the middle of nowhere if you have issues with altitude, then maybe try and come back for it later. 

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Okay I’m on episode four of the Madeline McCann thing and wow, I don’t think I’ve ever done such a 180 on my opinion on a case in one of these docuseries.

And there are eight episodes. No telling where this is going next.

If you like true crime docuseries, watch this.

These two dogs, Eddie and Keela are tiptop.

they can roll with me anywhere.

Call me skeptical, but even five guys who are in good shape wouldn't last that long climbing over a mountain range with over a hundred bags loaded up, plus weapons and whatever supplies they took. Just the cold weather and the altitude would get to them. Don't get me started on how helicopters behave when they just get close to their limits, or the way the sun and wind and other factors play games with regards to ridge lines when you are flying in a place like that. Crazy drafts develop and can push planes down so fast it isn't even funny.

Has Rebellion been summarily ignored on this thread or did I just missed it?  Not great at all, but solid, I thought. 
I guess the two miniseries Rebellion and Resistance are on Netflix as seasons 1 and 2 of Rebellion.

I love English movies and TV series especially those dealing with either the Middle Ages, turn of the century or WWII. Rebellion was not bad but I never sympathized with the Irish rebels, which I’m assuming you were supposed to. In fact I was rooting for them to all get whacked by series end.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:08 AM, Bama Chick said:

My God.

Just finished the Madeleine McCann series.

I won’t expound much as not to spoil but I have to say, bless that family and I hope they find peace one day.

And FUCK the Portuguese police.

And Jim Gamble, the British police officer who heads their Child Exploitation Unit, is an amazing man.

Jesus, I’m glad my kids are grown - I’m going to have trouble sleeping after all that, I cannot imagine still having little kids and the thoughts I would be having.

I am on episode 6 of that.  Watching it as I plan my trip to Lisbon and Porto, which I leave for next week.  Seriously though, I knew this happened, but I guess at the time it happened I was wrapped up in other things and not really paying that much attention.  Either that, or it got significantly less attention on this side of the pond.  We were dealing with financial crisis AND a presidential election around the same time.

For those that have watched or are watching the Madeline show, who do you think did it? Or is that too much spoiler? We are 4 or 5 episodes in and have a lot of the same sentiments people also have said-Portugal police=mindblowing, investigation was botched from the start, didn’t know much about this at the time it happened. 

Call me skeptical, but even five guys who are in good shape wouldn't last that long climbing over a mountain range with over a hundred bags loaded up, plus weapons and whatever supplies they took. Just the cold weather and the altitude would get to them. Don't get me started on how helicopters behave when they just get close to their limits, or the way the sun and wind and other factors play games with regards to ridge lines when you are flying in a place like that. Crazy drafts develop and can push planes down so fast it isn't even funny.

Yeah that’s the “kinda dumb” I was referring to.

I don't want to go too long on a minor point, but a pretty good physically fit guy will get tired and winded after walking over a couple of hills in a town like Denver. The altitude will just get you winded really fast. Even if the guys have mules for the money, carrying their weapons and any other supplies for days, then crossing mountaintops without any gear just with ropes left by previous smugglers. Or sleeping out at night at that altitude without a fire. I know it doesn't sound like the right thing do do when you are sitting at home, but you can always eat your dead friends body and make up for it by leaving more money to his kids for how much you eat.

11 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

I don't want to go too long on a minor point, but a pretty good physically fit guy will get tired and winded after walking over a couple of hills in a town like Denver. The altitude will just get you winded really fast. Even if the guys have mules for the money, carrying their weapons and any other supplies for days, then crossing mountaintops without any gear just with ropes left by previous smugglers. Or sleeping out at night at that altitude without a fire. I know it doesn't sound like the right thing do do when you are sitting at home, but you can always eat your dead friends body and make up for it by leaving more money to his kids for how much you eat.

how much for just one rib?

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

What are y’alls top three episodes of Love, Death + Robots?

-The dump

-Zima blue

-Blindspot

Hell, I thought the first episode was a banger right out the gate.

The Dump was great.

Three Robots was really funny.

Suits was great, too.

I was surprised how none of them were awful and they all managed to be entertaining.  A few were definitely a cut below the best, but nothing crazy.  Definitely worth watching if anyone is wondering.  Though there wasn't much "love" in Love, Death, and Robots.  Lots of death though.