Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

On 3/28/2019 at 8:55 AM, Jograves said:

Haven't seen it discussed but the Miami Showband Massacre is really interesting. I can't imagine what those survivors must've felt in the days following the incident. 

Unfortunately, the survivors will not ever get the admission they seek from the British government.  Great documentary.

On 3/30/2019 at 6:59 AM, Clintonaldo said:

The Legend of Cocaine Island is pretty good. I found the big dumbass really likeable and reminds me of one of my good buddies. They look and act alike and dip the same brand. 

Just finished it.

Spoiler

Besides feeling like it absolutely was entrapment (I don't recall any indication that the big dumbass ever had any plan in motion to go get the coke before the snitch came to him saying I can help you with that), my favorite part was the Homeland Security guy stating they don't have "professional photographers" or the tech to successfully film the digging up of cocaine at night.  That was a hoot.  I honestly wonder whether they really dug anything up.

Fuck them, fuck the prosecutor and thank God for the judge.

Very enjoyable story.

Edited by Augustus
  • Like 1

Legend of Cocaine Island is great story telling. Glad I saw it in this format rather than some 42 min drug/true crime show on A&E or Discovery.

Props to the editors and directors for identifying the story, but letting the characters lead the narrative. Really enjoyed it. Curious if “the Cuban” was real guy or someone acting out his interview from notes. IMDB doesn’t list him as one of 14 credited cast.

3 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Legend of Cocaine Island is great story telling. Glad I saw it in this format rather than some 42 min drug/true crime show on A&E or Discovery.

Props to the editors and directors for identifying the story, but letting the characters lead the narrative. Really enjoyed it. Curious if “the Cuban” was real guy or someone acting out his interview from notes. IMDB doesn’t list him as one of 14 credited cast.

Agreed - definitely worth watching.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, drifter379 said:

Best Netflix movie in a long time. And I think it might be Costner’s best role ever.

I really like how they didn’t focus on Bonnie and Clyde or romanticize them in any way.

Wife and I watched it last night. I agree, glad they didn't focus on Bonnie and Clyde. Wife asked why so many people loved them despite killing so many. I assume it was because of the depression and their hard times. 

Recently have enjoyed watching British & Australian actors that I am not familiar with in crime/political dramas.....

Completed:

• Secret City 2 Seasons (1st better than 2nd)
  • Collateral  (ok acting crime drama) 
  • Bodyguard (ok acting, kinda far fetched story)

Any other suggestions similar on Netflix??

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Recently have enjoyed watching British & Australian actors that I am not familiar with in crime/political dramas.....

Completed:

The Fall? I liked it a lot. Bunch of others I'm blanking on. I went through a phase of watching a bunch of those

On 3/28/2019 at 8:28 PM, trza-hawk said:

I have been going through a show Coisa Mais Linda or Most Beautiful Thing, because I am in a lot of musical groups and discussions and my thing is being the be-all end-all expert on all things related to Brazilian music. The show is boring but through three episodes and three quarters of the girls have taken their tops off when I didn't even know Netflix showed nudity. If you want to watch a show about female empowerment and feminism in the fifties/sixties with period costumes and Brazilian music in the background then it could be your thing.

Wife started this tonight. The story is okay. The tits help.

On 4/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, LTtxfan said:

Completed:

broadchurch?  that's pretty much the standard go-to for british crime dramas on netflix.  there are several others (like the fall) but this should be watched first.

Wasn't born Texan so had no idea B&C were so tied to Texas.  Read their wiki and found out a lot of that history occurred not far from where I lived.  Hell.

Movie was good.  Some of the houses they showed looks identical to the ones still occupied today in 5th Ward and etc....

On 4/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Neonmoon said:

My wife turned on new Kevin Hart special. I just don’t find his standup funny. He can be funny in movies, but his standup is not for me. He just screams a bunch of regular stories. I don’t get it. 

I don't find his movies funny either.... he just screams in an annoying voice the entire time. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 9:07 PM, LTtxfan said:

Completed:

Did you do the netflix original Get Shorty?  I'm a fan of Irish actor Chris O'Dowd.  

I also watched the Death in Paradise series.  A light detective series, with two changes to the main DI character over the seven seasons.  Attractive French and Afro/French actresses a plus.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Did you do the netflix original Get Shorty?  I'm a fan of Irish actor Chris O'Dowd.  

I also watched the Death in Paradise series.  A light detective series, with two changes to the main DI character over the seven seasons.  Attractive French and Afro/French actresses a plus.

Met him in Austin on Rainy.  He was shit faced.  Cool guy.  Chicks wouldn’t stop swarming him for pictures.  

#cool story bro

• Like 2

19 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

FYI, get shorty is on the channel Epix, not a Netflix original. The second season has already aired, but isn't on Netflix yet. 

Really good show though. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Neonmoon said:

My wife turned on new Kevin Hart special. I just don’t find his standup funny. He can be funny in movies, but his standup is not for me. He just screams a bunch of regular stories. I don’t get it. 

He and Rob Riggle basically have the same act yell something then start laughing and everyone else will think it's funny. But it actually sucks.

20 hours ago, XYZ said:

Anybody else watching Ultraman?

Couple of episodes in.  Need to see how it goes.  My familiarity with Anime is pretty much limited to watching Speed Racer when I was a kid.  Which, coincidentally, is around the time I got into the Ultraman live action show.  I have not seen anything that is going to turn me off of watching it yet.

20 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just saw a trailer for a Netflix film called The Silence. It’s about a family trying to survive after the world is invaded by monsters that hunt by sound. That seems just a little familiar to me.

It's ok to watch when you're, say, at home with a sick child and have nothing else to do.  For those that have seen it....

Spoiler

If the Vesps (or whatever the hell they're called) can't see shit and don't use echolocation like bats, how do they know how to land on a power line?

I was coming here to recommend “Black Summer”.

Really tense and twisted and I’m LOVING the narrative style.

I’m on episode six and wow, really, really good show.

I just started it because I was bored on a Friday night at home but I haven’t been able to resist jumping straight into each new episode.

And this won’t mean anything till you watch but fuck, and I cannot stress this enough, them kids.