Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

Finished up Black Summer.

Spoiler

It was pretty good but I've got some complaints, especially with The Heist. I was utterly confused until deciding to just roll with it. No context was given about a) how they knew there was a gun stash in the building, b) how they were able to come up with the elaborate plan, or c) why Carmen stabs that dude in the neck which almost ruins the plan. It's like they forgot to post a missing episode between The Diner and this one. Just bizarre.

I have been making my way through the military history and documentary series and one set that stands out as good is a series of docs hosted by Cambridge Professor David Reynolds. The guy is too kooky to be on American television, and this kind of history programming just isn't possible on any cable channel. The docs were made for BBC2 and BBC 4 over the past ten years, and have the host visiting the usual locations but also some out of the way locales affected by the conflicts like Northern Ireland or Egypt or a small coal mining town in Slovenia.

Anyway, the shows aren't linked together so here is a  list of the ones I found on Netflix

2008: Armistice –
2011: World War Two: 1941 and the Man of Steel
2012: World War Two: 1942 and Hitler's Soft Underbelly
2014: The Long Shadow – three-part series: (1) Remembering and Understanding; (2) Ballots and Bullets; (3) Us and Them
2015: World War Two: 1945 and the Wheelchair President

On 4/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, futureman said:

that movie is shit and will smith is an overrated ham.  it makes me mad too because if you read the synopsis for that movie it sounds incredible.  instead it’s just incredibly stupid. 

The Omega Man and I am Legend both absolutely, totally destroyed precisely what made the novel so awesome.

Spoiler

In which, it turns out the vampires are thinking/feeling creatures who've begun a new society in their altered state, and who are being systematically hunted and destroyed by him during the day.  They finally capture him, put him on trial and sentence him to death.  He had become the "legend" of their nightmares, a story that would be told to children about the monster who would come by day, break into their homes and kill them.  It was a plot twist with one the best role reversals I've ever read.  No idea why both movies abandoned this fantastic story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

The Omega Man and I am Legend both absolutely, totally destroyed precisely what made the novel so awesome.

Reveal hidden contents

In which, it turns out the vampires are thinking/feeling creatures who've begun a new society in their altered state, and who are being systematically hunted and destroyed by him during the day.  They finally capture him, put him on trial and sentence him to death.  He had become the "legend" of their nightmares, a story that would be told to children about the monster who would come by day, break into their homes and kill them.  It was a plot twist with one the best role reversals I've ever read.  No idea why both movies abandoned this fantastic story.

Damn that’s an awesome plot twist. Why didn’t they do that? Fuckers. I’ve been waiting for a similar twist in an American war movie for a long time. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Damn that’s an awesome plot twist. Why didn’t they do that? Fuckers. I’ve been waiting for a similar twist in an American war movie for a long time. 

The original ending to I am Legend kind of went this route, though it was a lot more subtle.  It didn't test well with audiences, so it was changed.  Proving that audiences as a whole are really disappointing.

There’s more that happens that makes I am Legend worth the read. It’s a pretty quick read and the book is actually a collection of short stories.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Hide contents

that sounds a lot like the way chris kyle was called “legend” over in the sand box. 

and that is a pretty amazing twist.  I may have to go to half price books this week. 

On 4/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, trza-hawk said:

I know this is the place for recommending shows, but Netflix is burning through about a billion dollars a quarter, something like 3.5 or 4 billion a year in cash burned. They expect to add more customers or even increase subscription fees while more competitors enter their market. I don't follow the stuff closely enough to know if this is sustainable.

Maybe this analysis will help with your Q's on Netflix survival...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/04/13/3-reasons-why-netflix-will-survive-disney.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan

No Good Nick

It's a little Disney-esque but a little darker tone in the "teenage girl is running a con to rob a rich family as revenge for her dad being in prison" 

But its quick - part 1 is 10 episodes at 26-29 min/episode

The parents are the original Sabrina and Samwise Gamgee 

Edited by Js1

22 hours ago, bolverk said:

Finished up Black Summer.

Reveal hidden contents

It was pretty good but I've got some complaints, especially with The Heist. I was utterly confused until deciding to just roll with it. No context was given about a) how they knew there was a gun stash in the building, b) how they were able to come up with the elaborate plan, or c) why Carmen stabs that dude in the neck which almost ruins the plan. It's like they forgot to post a missing episode between The Diner and this one. Just bizarre.

I felt the same way. Seemed like we were missing 10 minutes of exposition.

Spoiler

The only possible explanation I've come up with - when they were stuck in the diner, there was the guy (Phil) who wanted to throw Sun out to the zombies. He was mentioning an "Outpost" that had lots of weapons. Maybe the drug house was the Outpost? It doesn't explain how they knew the layout, location of weapons, etc.

Haunting of Hill House was scary as shit. F#$%

The first 5 or 6 episodes kept to the themes of the book (loneliness, estrangement, mental health, etc.) and the book is simply a masterpiece. The last episodes kind of veered off into friendly ghost fighting the bad ghost trope territory and was more about family and emotional connections, but the twists and reveals were still powerful enough to shock you. 

Finished it last night. I was creeped out as shit. Middle of the night my daughter comes and stands next to my bed because she had a bad dream and I wake up to see this tiny little shadow standing silently a few inches from my head and I nearly had a heart attack.

Edited by Disco Missile
  • Like 1

Highwaymen (Costner and Harrelson) was meh.

Triple frontier was not good. It had pieces (some of the actors seemed right, the big story was good enough), but the execution was poor. Maybe it was a lack of chemistry.

Kevin Hart’s new special had some good moments.

56 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:
  Hide contents

Wait, don’t you mean ultrasound?

I was dying at that point. It was good, but I think Thoughts & Prayers is still my favorite.

That part about put me on the ground, I was laughing so hard.  

I prefer T&P slightly more as well,  but my only complaint about the new one is it felt shorter than it was.  

On 4/30/2019 at 10:30 PM, atomheartbevo said:

That part about put me on the ground, I was laughing so hard.  

I prefer T&P slightly more as well,  but my only complaint about the new one is it felt shorter than it was.  

Part of that was 25% of the show was the one last joke.  He said he was wrapping up and I had to check -- but there was like 16 minutes left for that last long story.

Apostle was alright.

If you like period films and creepy religious themes, you’ll probably like it.

It’s not appointment viewing but if you’re bored with two hours to kill, check it out.

The Zac Efron Ted Bundy thing drops today, right?

Now that I can’t wait to get home and see. He’s gotten pretty good reviews for his portrayal of Bundy. And with my personal link to the Tallahassee murders, I always watch and read anything about Bundy.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Apostle was alright.

If you like period films and creepy religious themes, you’ll probably like it.

It’s not appointment viewing but if you’re bored with two hours to kill, check it out.

The Zac Efron Ted Bundy thing drops today, right?

Now that I can’t wait to get home and see. He’s gotten pretty good reviews for his portrayal of Bundy. And with my personal link to the Tallahassee murders, I always watch and read anything about Bundy.

What's your personal link? Sorry if I've missed this before. 

I posted about it detail in a thread in LULZ about “Do You Know A Murder Victim” or something like that - can’t remember if it was here or on shaggy. I’ll look for it when I’m home and not on my phone.

Long story short - one of the Chi O victims - Margaret Bowman - was my babysitter.

The night after she was murdered she was supposed to be at our house and never showed up; we hadn’t heard the details yet so my mom didn’t make a connection or suspect anything.

• Like 2

The Bundy movie was pretty good.

Nothing really new but interesting to see it from Liz’s perspective.

And Efron really embodies Bundy. He looks eerily like him and captures the charisma and charm he possessed that made it easy for him to get young women to trust him.

Just started watching the new show “Dead To Me” with Christina Applegate and Linda Cardelini. Very darkly funny show and each episode is only 30 minutes so it’s a quick watch.

Same kind of vibe as “Santa Clarita Diet”.

Black Summer really went off the rails @ the last 3-4 episodes.  A lot of wtf moments.

Spoiler

I didn't really get the episode when they got the guns.  It appeared to be some sort of rogue army rave drug place.  But if people turn the second they die, why would you have rooms and rooms of people possibly OD'ing?  Also, outside the stadium, why did so many armed citizens randomly show up at exactly the same time when, throughout the show, the population density of living humans was like 1 per 50 square miles?

The Bundy movie was pretty good.

Nothing really new but interesting to see it from Liz’s perspective.

And Efron really embodies Bundy. He looks eerily like him and captures the charisma and charm he possessed that made it easy for him to get young women to trust him.

Just started watching the new show “Dead To Me” with Christina Applegate and Linda Cardelini. Very darkly funny show and each episode is only 30 minutes so it’s a quick watch.

Same kind of vibe as “Santa Clarita Diet”.

Actually better than I expected. The last 10 minutes especially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I enjoyed "Occupied", a Norwegian geopolitical thriller about a near-future-scenario where Russia basically takes over Norway at the behest of the EU, when Norway shuts down gas and oil production that the EU needs.

Currently watching Hap and Leonard, which starts out like a buddy comedy with a dark edge but turns into a full blown, bloody, actioner. It has an underlying theme of the idealism of the '60s colliding with the nihilism and greed of the '80s.

Edited by Paper_jam

watched the robert johnson doc earlier today, always fascinated by the deal with the devil that always surrounded him. good way to spend about 45 minutes, even if you're not a big blues musician fan. 

• Like 2