Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I enjoy that sometimes there’s very little dialog and all it is is either trying to get away from a zombie or another human trying to take what they have. This isn’t cheesy at all which some (most) zombie shows can easily be

Definitely and the lack of dialogue makes the cheese factor go down and makes it way more realistic and really ratchets up the tension.

And, for me at least, all of the actors are completely unknowns which I think also makes it more realistic.

This has been up on Netflix for a few days hasn’t it? I can’t believe there’s not more buzz about it.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:51 PM, 52-80 said:

yall watch this show Roman Empire?  i like roman shit so curious if this is good

I wish somebody would do a series like this on the Roman Republic.

The Principate and Dominate were of course truly fascinating in many ways, but at the same time there was nothing unusual about an autocratic empire in the classical world.

Republican Rome, on the other hand, was about as unlikely as one could imagine.  In the 500's bc, for a nation to throw off its kings and govern itself through yearly elected magistrates, all while growing from a tiny city state into the dominant power in the Mediterranean world, and endure that way for 5 centuries.....  that's fucking mind boggling.  

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I wish somebody would do a series like this on the Roman Republic.

The Principate and Dominate were of course truly fascinating in many ways, but at the same time there was nothing unusual about an autocratic empire in the classical world.

Republican Rome, on the other hand, was about as unlikely as one could imagine.  In the 500's bc, for a nation to throw off its kings and govern itself through yearly elected magistrates, all while growing from a tiny city state into the dominant power in the Mediterranean world, and endure that way for 5 centuries.....  that's fucking mind boggling.  

Name and avatar checks out

• Like 1

Just saw a trailer for a Netflix film called The Silence. It’s about a family trying to survive after the world is invaded by monsters that hunt by sound. That seems just a little familiar to me.

“A Quiet Place”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

Am I the only grown man around here who likes Derry Girls.  That shit is flat out fucking hilarious. And smart. 

Not the only one.  Some truly hilarious moments.  Although Erin’s facial contortions started to grate after a few episodes.  

• Like 1

A question about Black Summer:

Spoiler

I"m about halfway through the season. 

Like most shows about zombies, this show has survivors making stupid decisions. It's set six weeks after the zombie outbreak, so I would have expected most of the people making bad decisions to be dead. But let's say, for the sake of drama, we want those people to be alive.

My question:

How can there be so many survivors without any sort of weapon? Many of the characters don't have anything. I'm not talking a pistol or rifle - they don't have a knife or screwdriver.

If regular humans are a large part of the danger, it doesn't make sense to walk around with nothing. There are kitchen knives in every house. Get a screwdriver. Get 3 knives. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zman13 said:

A question about Black Summer:

Hide contents

I"m about halfway through the season. 

Like most shows about zombies, this show has survivors making stupid decisions. It's set six weeks after the zombie outbreak, so I would have expected most of the people making bad decisions to be dead. But let's say, for the sake of drama, we want those people to be alive.

My question:

How can there be so many survivors without any sort of weapon? Many of the characters don't have anything. I'm not talking a pistol or rifle - they don't have a knife or screwdriver.

If regular humans are a large part of the danger, it doesn't make sense to walk around with nothing. There are kitchen knives in every house. Get a screwdriver. Get 3 knives. 

I watched most of this last night, and I too kept thinking about all the dumb decisions. 

And how the zombies would behave differently when needed for a scene. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Not a Netflix original, but I don't recommend I am Legend.  Question for those who have seen.  Did I miss where they explained the super human strength/speed of the zombies?  I don't know why they made them superhuman that kind of ruined it for me.

that movie is shit and will smith is an overrated ham.  it makes me mad too because if you read the synopsis for that movie it sounds incredible.  instead it’s just incredibly stupid. 

• Like 3

that movie is shit and will smith is an overrated ham.  it makes me mad too because if you read the synopsis for that movie it sounds incredible.  instead it’s just incredibly stupid. 

It’s a much much better book. If they had stuck to the source material it could have been very good.

/bookfag

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Finished it up. A character was really annoying the fuck out of me, and there was another I didn't care much for...

They fixed both issues and did a great job with the remedy.

Ended awesome, in for Season 2.

Cool.  I was wondering if I was the only one that liked this.  Loving the fast pace and the "messiness" of the apocalypse.  

The original ending made that movie much much better, but yeah. As is, it sucks.

The original ending was shot and available online to check out.

Finished Lovesick. It was meh overall with the exception of Angus.  The main guy is the singer of The Detectorist opening song.  Starts off good but becomes a formulaic slog with characters I don't really care much about.  Except for angus of course. He's got a young Peter MacNicol thing going.

Started Derry Girls about 5 eps in and I fuckin love it. Nice 90s music randomly dispersed throughout.  Hilarious. Good acting. Well written. 

I Recommend it.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, futureman said:

Will Smith made two movies - I Am Legend and Hancock. Both movies start strong but the second half is atrocious. Each movie is 1/2 of a good movie. 

My brilliant idea - combine the two movies!

Drunk, 'doesn't give a shit' superhero vs thousands of zombies. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Not a Netflix original, but I don't recommend I am Legend.  Question for those who have seen.  Did I miss where they explained the super human strength/speed of the zombies?  I don't know why they made them superhuman that kind of ruined it for me.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, futureman said:

On 4/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Is the original omega man movie good?

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

yes

Omega Man is much much better.

Pretty sure White Zombie's Creature of the Wheel has quotes from this movie in it too. 

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

It's an amazing topic and and an extremely interesting story that was told in such a way I didn't give a fuck.

It is impressive in that regard.

A lot of docs on Netflix seem to follow this idea of “I’m not going to tell you the story but I am going to tell you the story of how I uncovered the story.”  

I swear half or more of this doc was made up of pictures and videos of the filmmaker, stories about how the quest affected his marriage, and anecdotes about his interviews with witnesses.  

So it becomes someone’s boring home movie. 

10 hours ago, futureman said:

movie 43 is on there now.  it’s fucking ridiculous screwball goofy shit, about 10 short movies loosely tied together.  some are pretty average but some are hilarious.  if you like that’s kind of shit it’s definitely worth watching. 

Isn’t that so widely regarded as the worst movie ever made that the some of the stars felt they needed “I was duped” excuses for being in it?

I know this is the place for recommending shows, but Netflix is burning through about a billion dollars a quarter, something like 3.5 or 4 billion a year in cash burned. They expect to add more customers or even increase subscription fees while more competitors enter their market. I don't follow the stuff closely enough to know if this is sustainable.

1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

I know this is the place for recommending shows, but Netflix is burning through about a billion dollars a quarter, something like 3.5 or 4 billion a year in cash burned. They expect to add more customers or even increase subscription fees while more competitors enter their market. I don't follow the stuff closely enough to know if this is sustainable.

They are creating an insane amount of original content, from ongoing series (cartoons, kids, teens, adults, etc.) as well as short-series (like 6-8 episodes) as well as feature-length movies.   They are also cutting deals, like being the sole provider of the new Star Trek series outside of North America (what they paid CBS basically covered all of the costs of production).

And some of those ongoing series are keeping people subscribed.

The writing is on the wall - no more Disney (Star Wars/Marvel/etc.), no more Fox, etc. (that stuff is going to Hulu).

1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

I'm sure they have a plan. They are still in get new customer  and make as much content as possible mode. I'm sure the amount they are spending will drop as disney and other contracts expire. 

28 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Watched the first episode of Black Summer. Liked it but I wish they would do away with the shaky camera.

yeah, I got a horrible headache after the car chase in ep 2.  

Between the shaky cam and the characters being so fucking stupid I'm not sure if I'll continue.

3 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

they are way way way bigger outside of the us than domestically.  the big issue is that most people who watch netflix are not watching shows/movies owned by netflix.  that's an issue.

they locked up several huge showrunners and spent billions doing so, but that's a slow process to get their new shows actually onto their platform.  it'll be a while before you see an uptick in the quality of their originals.  and yes, they're spending a shit-ton to get there.

and the competition will only get stiffer.