Movies you're ashamed to admit that you enjoy

Mo Horn

Most critics disliked it, it's nowhere near the best Will Ferrell movie, and it needed a different title, but I will watch Semi Pro anytime it comes on.  

"My God.  What the fuck is that?  It's incredible.

It's called fondue.

Fon-what?

Fon-Due.  Three different cheeses, melted.  That's what you're tasting.  Gargonzola, muenster, and cottage."

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, Nole-4-Life said:

Runaway with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons. Pretty decent but cheesy as hell.

I loved that movie as a kid.  Didn't get better than Magnum PI, KISS, killer robots and (if I recall correctly) a few titties thrown in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd like to add a new entry after watching it last night:

Dragon Blade starring Jackie Chan, John Cusak, and Adrian Brody.

Pure formulaic schlock, but I loved it.

The action scenes are well done because Jackie Chan gonna Jackie Chan.

There are some bollywood level moments of absurdity which let's you know they knew exactly what kind of movie they were making.

Posted (edited)
On 2/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, Underdog said:

Fever Pitch, no real rhyme or reason just like it. 

Highly underrated movie, actually.  I could make the case it's one of the perfect first date movies ever.  It's a legitimately good rom com that both men and women like.  Great ending, too.

Cocktail belongs on this list.  The movies is borderline bad but it's so quoteable and has a ton of people in it.  Points for both Kelly Lynch and Elisabeth Shue.

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Highly underrated movie, actually.  I could make the case it's one of the perfect first date movies ever.  It's a legitimately good rom com that both men and women like.  Great ending, too.

Cocktail belongs on this list.  The movies is borderline bad but it's so quoteable and has a ton of people in it.  Points for both Kelly Lynch and Elisabeth Shue.

Baseball geek here.  Fever pitch does a lot of things well but I hated the part when Freddie prinzes brother called him out for not being able to finish the game.  

21 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Hard to imagine Kelly Lynch hotter than in Roadhouse, but she did it in Cocktail.

22 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You're ashamed to admit you like Cocktail?  That is peak Cruise coolness, peak Shue hotness, smokin' hot Kelly Lynch (admittedly terrible actress in this), and Gina Gershon.  And as you said it's so damn quotable.  Shit, I didn't even mention Bryan Brown, and he's probably the best thing in it.  I'm a card carrying member of the Cocktail fan club.

Ashamed??

No Way Friday GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I saw a movie once with, if memory serves, Ed Burns in it. It was called "The Sound of Thunder" and was so bad that it got shelved for years. I was bored at work at like 10pm one night and checked the movie listings and decided, "fuck it, I am seeing this". I've never met another person who has seen it. I walked out feeling like it was a fun time, but I've never even seen a thumbnail on the streamers for it since, 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:12 AM, closetohumping said:

Baseball geek here.  Fever pitch does a lot of things well but I hated the part when Freddie prinzes brother called him out for not being able to finish the game.  

Pretty sure you’re talking about Summer Catch. Unless that’s the joke and I didn’t get it. Fever Pitch is Jimmy Fallon as a rabid Boston Red Sox fan dating Drew Barrymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I saw a movie once with, if memory serves, Ed Burns in it. It was called "The Sound of Thunder" and was so bad that it got shelved for years. I was bored at work at like 10pm one night and checked the movie listings and decided, "fuck it, I am seeing this". I've never met another person who has seen it. I walked out feeling like it was a fun time, but I've never even seen a thumbnail on the streamers for it since, 

It's actually "A Sound of Thunder" and has zero redeeming qualities.

image.png.320082b8059a3a54054d7364795321b2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Mmmmmm… Summer Catch. 
image.jpeg.fd6d775c7b95cf1270eba7dfc93c3bdb.jpeg

image.jpeg.8020faa3cdd54bbaa1b85552ca1d85e6.jpeg

IMG_7620.webp.66970a7064854ea6c2975b086fb1a9f7.webp

That is a great choice for movie I'm ashamed to admit I like. I've seen it more than once. (Did I say that out loud?)

Another one came to mind from the "Baywatch Reboot" thread. The movie version of Baywatch was much, much better than I ever would've expected. The morgue scene is hysterical.

Hello Dolly. The Rotten Tomatoes score is bizarre. Do people hate being happy?

Streisand is beautiful and charming. Matthau is a great curmudgeon. And a, what, 15 minute insane dance sequence at Harmonia Gardens. 

They don’t make movies like this anymore, and it’s unfortunate. You have to go to Broadway to get anything like it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Finally thought of one: The Last Boy Scout.

Wrong. 

That's a fantastic movie.

I think it was just ahead of it's time. If you released that today folks would go crazy over it.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It would shred 

Very Drive/John Wick. Doesn't take itself too seriously. 

It came out before Pulp Fiction really broke the barrier for stuff like that.