Movies you're ashamed to admit that you enjoy

Mo Horn

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Wrong. 

That's a fantastic movie.

I think it was just ahead of it's time. If you released that today folks would go crazy over it.

Billy Blanks, the Tae Bo King himself is in the football intro sequence. I owe a lot to Billy for teaching me about business and women as a young adult.

A lot of women I met in my 20s were hot coeds wanting bootleg VHS copies of the Tae Bo workout tapes. Luck ensured that each workout collection had 4 tapes so they always came back to complete the full set. 

5 hours ago, GhostRider said:

Do Waterworld and The Postman belong here?  Both are really stupid movies that I will always watch if I run across them while flipping channels late at night.

The Postman was a great book, it just didn't translate to the screen well.

Waterworld was just an abortion

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The Postman was a great book, it just didn't translate to the screen well.

Waterworld was just an abortion

I haven't seen Postman since it came out, but Waterworld wasn't that bad and holds up better than you'd think. Wasn't horrible for a big budget Hollywood film.

The Wizard. It's objectively a shittier, kid friendly version of Rain Man, but holy shit the reveal of Super Mario Bros 3 at the end of the movie blew my child mind at the time. Going and seeing that in theaters and hearing the room gasp when they unveiled it is a memory I cherish.

I also unironically love Terminator Salvation. Not at all on the level of Terminator 1 or 2, but I appreciate that it was much more serious than T3, and that it was a cool remix of the central theme (a robot that time travels, a central protector figure, etc). Plus that scene where John Connor takes down the terminators on his dirt bike while blasting Guns n' Roses You Will Be Mine is cool as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I enjoy Captain Ron.

Kurt Russel’s schtick.

Martin Short’s overacting and spasticity.

The overly simplistic plot. 

The whole damned thing.

Good movie, no shame. In Martin Shorts biography, he said they had a great time filming and made him/Kurt lifelong friends.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Schlocky little film called Dancer, Texas or something like that.  Stars Breckin Meyer...

I genuinely liked that movie when it came out, but I haven't seen it since. A half-Persian friend of my ex-wife was in charge of their wardrobe. Maybe I wouldn't have liked it if she hadn't been such a cutie.

The most embarrassing movie I like is Hangar 18, but it holds a sentimental attachment because it was filmed at the recently closed Webb AFB in my hometown when I was a kid. It was kind of a big deal. Ol' Gary had an affair with a local educator while filming, and it was quite the local scandal.

Full movie:

Edited by bolverk
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I genuinely liked that movie when it came out, but I haven't seen it since. A half-Persian friend of my ex-wife was in charge of their wardrobe. Maybe I wouldn't have liked it if she hadn't been such a cutie.

The most embarrassing movie I like is Hangar 18, but it holds a sentimental attachment because it was filmed at the recently closed Webb AFB in my hometown when I was a kid. It was kind of a big deal. Ol' Gary had an affair with a local educator while filming, and it was quite the local scandal.

Full movie:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 3:58 PM, Duane Moore said:

Speaking of Kurt Russell movies, should I be ashamed to say I love Used Cars? Because I’m not. 

Hell, no.  Used Cars is hilarious.

And remember:  Fifty bucks never killed anybody.

Edited by Carl Spackler

On 3/7/2024 at 1:25 PM, BabaYaga said:

Megaforce!  I thought this was so damn cool as a kid

tumblr_px3ydnAxMn1ug2uiho2_500.gifJSH7V_.gif

Megaforce, Krull, and Beastmaster were all in heavy rotation on HBO and Cinemax in the early/mid 80s.  I've seen each of them probably dozens of times, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Megaforce, Krull, and Beastmaster were all in heavy rotation on HBO and Cinemax in the early/mid 80s.  I've seen each of them probably dozens of times, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Beastmaster had those perfect Tanya Roberts te-tes.  Quite the impact to a young and impressionable degenerate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, closetohumping said:

Apparently Rudy.  Surly assholes

you're damn right you should be ashamed

On 3/7/2024 at 12:11 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Starship Troopers (read the books as a kid, movie so schlocky, dumb and over the top it is greatness)

That's because it's satire. Verhoeven didn't even finish the book; he was disgusted with its promotion of fascism, so he made the movie to mock the whole thing.

Having not read any Heinlein until I was an adult, 100% Team Verhoeven here.

On 3/7/2024 at 4:57 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Hello Dolly. The Rotten Tomatoes score is bizarre. Do people hate being happy?

Streisand is beautiful and charming. Matthau is a great curmudgeon. And a, what, 15 minute insane dance sequence at Harmonia Gardens. 

They don’t make movies like this anymore, and it’s unfortunate. You have to go to Broadway to get anything like it. 

Can I just say "all mid-20th century musicals?" My Mom raised me to appreciate them, because she loved them all. But I don't think there's any shame in that. You won't get any from me.

On 3/7/2024 at 5:16 PM, ztejas said:

Wrong. 

That's a fantastic movie.

I think it was just ahead of it's time. If you released that today folks would go crazy over it.

Very, very true. "Ol Satan Claus, he's out there..."

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 9:15 PM, ClubWhatever said:

I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 4.

57124f95-244f-434b-b9de-7c32369fd7da_tex

God dammit, we've been over this already.

If you're ashamed, there's something wrong with you.

Edited by Rimbo

Posted (edited)

Since everyone else is fucking this up by naming movies they either (1) don't enjoy or (2) aren't ashamed of, I'm going to fuck this up further by naming something I absolutely enjoy and am ashamed of (and should be) but ... is a series, not a movie.

Witchblade_(2006_TV_series).png

2-fe4b34fc1f06866d74840c151545e259.jpg

The Witchblade anime.

I've watched the whole thing, all the way through, more than once, and each time found myself thinking, "This is far, far better than it has any right to be."

Edited by Rimbo

44 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I was home feeling like shit this past Saturday.  Comedy Central ran all 3 "Meet the Parents" movies back to back to back.  I was thoroughly entertained by all of them.

We try not to use profanity around my children but somehow "aaaaashole" in the child's voice from 2 or 3 gets the green light.  If you say it that way, no questions asked, no smoke.  If your movie changes the whole rule paradigm at my house... good movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2024 at 5:58 PM, Duane Moore said:

Speaking of Kurt Russell movies, should I be ashamed to say I love Used Cars? Because I’m not. 

One of the most underrated comedies of all time.

• Hook 'Em 2