People who don't pay attention to lyrics

CleverNickname

I recently found out that my wife of 17 years and mother to my beautiful children doesn't really pay attention to the lyrics. I guess she just lets the vibes roll over? She doesn't really appreciate clever lyrics or concepts. 

I need some time to come to grips with this.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I recently found out that my wife of 17 years and mother to my beautiful children doesn't really pay attention to the lyrics. I guess she just lets the vibes roll over? She doesn't really appreciate clever lyrics or concepts. 

I need some time to come to grips with this.

If she doesn’t really appreciate clever lyrics, does she really appreciate clever nickname?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

One of my wife's coworkers wanted us to name our daughter Roxanne.  

Me:  No way
Her:  But you like music.   
Me:  I do...And you have obviously never listened to the lyrics.   
1:  Every time someone would say her name, someone would start singing that song
2:  It's about a hooker.  Not naming her after a hooker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

One of my wife's coworkers wanted us to name our daughter Roxanne.  

Me:  No way
Her:  But you like music.   
Me:  I do...And you have obviously never listened to the lyrics.   
1:  Every time someone would say her name, someone would start singing that song
2:  It's about a hooker.  Not naming her after a hooker.

Sarah’s not a hooker but she’s in a lot of songs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ten Bears said:

While lyrics are very important to me the first time or two listening to a song I barely pay attention to them.  If there is no good hook, melody ect then I couldn't care less about the words. 

+rep for the rare correct use of “couldn’t care less.” Although I considered deducting points for the rare misspelling of “etc.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

Most songs over the years,  I listened for the music, the beat, the chorus maybe if it was catchy.

Never bought albums, never cared to read the lyrics printed out on the album sleeve. 

Never even thought about finding songs with lyrics that expressed what I couldn’t find the words to say. 🤷‍♂️

I listened to most of the Old 97s lyrics because I have casually known Rhett since he was in 7th grade and he’s a friend, but I don’t know the back stories to his songs from being friends, but rather because I have heard him talk about the next song when chatting with the audience. Even then, I don’t know if he is telling the truth or if he has created a story that audiences like. 

In films I analyze the dialogue, but in songs… I listen to and think about the lyrics of just a really small percentage of the songs that I have ever heard.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:00 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Well, she’s right. 

I mean I guess if you want a song sang at your funeral about a lady who is so miserable in life she just wants to die, but yes it is a pretty sounding song. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, tbone_ said:

I mean I guess if you want a song sang  at your funeral about a lady who is so miserable in life she just wants to die, but yes it is a pretty sounding song. 

A song cannot be sang anywhere. 

Just an FYI.

Saying that it can be is making more than just the dead person miserable. 

Pretty much usually listen to music for the rhythm, melody and harmony. Sometimes I eventually learn the words, and sometimes find out that they mean something. And that's cool when I do.

Generally, if I'm listening to lyrics, it's because the lyrics are even more tasteless than mine.

"First of May, First of May, outdoor fuckin starts today..."

"a mortician was arraigned for relations most unseemly with the recently deceased and drained ... your honor, she came on to me, she came on to me, she was lyin' there with such provocativity..."

"i take a healthy bite from your dainty fingertips..."

On 2/23/2024 at 10:34 AM, Ten Bears said:

While lyrics are very important to me the first time or two listening to a song I barely pay attention to them.  If there is no good hook, melody ect then I couldn't care less about the words. 

I'm absolutely a lyrics guy, but there's got to be a good melody or riff.  Great songwriting is when a strong melody meets meaningful words, and it can be stripped down to one person on an acoustic guitar and still make you feel.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have some sort of hearing/cognitive issue that doesn't allow me to understand the lyrics the first few times I hear a song unless it is sung like a church hymn or somesuch. This was troubling before the internet because not all albums had a lyric sheet. I would look at sheet music at the music store to get shit figured out. Once I see the lyrics they are stuck in my head and I can hear the lyrics correctly. "Sinkhole" by DBT became much more meaningful after I did a lyric search. I want it played at my funeral.

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

"Sinkhole" by DBT became much more meaningful after I did a lyric search. I want it played at my funeral.

Wut?

"And now, friends and family of Shox, I would like you all to listen to one of his favorite songs that I believe is about (checks lyrics) some southern yokel dreaming of killing a banker that foreclosed on his family's farm and then throwing the body down a sinkhole on the farm."

On 2/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Ten Bears said:

Wut?

"And now, friends and family of Shox, I would like you all to listen to one of his favorite songs that I believe is about (checks lyrics) some southern yokel dreaming of killing a banker that foreclosed on his family's farm and then throwing the body down a sinkhole on the farm."

I'm going to assume my fellow Midwesterner lost a treasured family farm in the 80's.  The sentiment of Sinkhole would appeal to a lot of folks who lived through that time in a very existential way.

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Is she saying “create an angel for me that flies from Montgomery”, or is she saying “turn me into an angel that flies from Montgomery”?

I've always taken it as the latter.  She wants out of her dead relationship.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Is she saying “create an angel for me that flies from Montgomery”, or is she saying “turn me into an angel that flies from Montgomery”?

Not quite either, but more the first.  She wants an angel to fly her out of Montgomery.

On 2/26/2024 at 7:51 PM, Rimbo said:

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Seems pretty normal to me.

Same same.

don’t get me wrong I’m a big Texas country and singer songwriter fan and so I know a ton of lyrics but I can turn that off an enjoy the sound of the human voice as just another instrument. And it’s pretty much a requirement if I want to chill with out falling in a hole as much of the good chill music out there is sad as fuck. 

Posted (edited)

But no way angel from Montgomery is an appropriate funeral song… 

“How the hell can a person
Go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening
And have nothing to say?”

not a funeral lyric but a damn great one to be sure. Lots of ways to measure your relationship and agreeing with this lyric and having the same disdain as the writer / singer is one of them.

Edited by troph
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 10:47 PM, troph said:

Same same.

don’t get me wrong I’m a big Texas country and singer songwriter fan and so I know a ton of lyrics but I can turn that off an enjoy the sound of the human voice as just another instrument. And it’s pretty much a requirement if I want to chill with out falling in a hole as much of the good chill music out there is sad as fuck. 

Hell fire, I’m about as midwestern as a person can get and the other day when I was hauling cattle I caught myself singing along to that new Beyoncé song. Catchy tune. 

I'm kinda sorta one of these types. Music is mostly about a vibe for me. I almost always either instantly love or hate a song based on "how it sounds" and whether it strikes an emotional chord with me or not. Yes there are songs where I love the lyrics, but I'm rarely drawn to a song for that. Unless it was written by John Prine or Townes Van Zandt.

• Like 1

I'm definitely music first and lyrics second. I'm sure there's been some studies done on why people's brains react differently. 

Personally, musicianship is the most important aspect for me. The artist/band HAS to be great live. Any time a new band comes on my radar, I immediately go watch live videos on YouTube. If they pass that test, then I'll dig deeper into their catalog. 

• Hook 'Em 1