Iran attacks Israel attacks Iran

ztejas

24 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

The Walrus is energized tonight. John Bolton on CNN Blaming America for the strike and strongly recommending that Israel goes in hard and destroys any potential nuclear capability of Iran.

He disregards any concerns with escalating the war.    Neocon’s gonna neocon. 

Well at least he's not advocating for another invasion of Iraq. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It’s a very rational response. It’s big and showy for the Islamic world to see that Iran isn’t going to take its consulate getting bombed without a response.  But the response is done in such a way that Israel can repel it with little difficulty and virtually no damage.

Israel can declare victory and call it a day based on the performance of its air defenses and the support it has received from its allies.  And, in fact, that’d probably be the smart play.

But it’s not the play that keeps Bibi in office and out of prison. So really no chance of that happening.

The attack isn’t over, but I think you’re ascribing far too much good faith to Iran. I think it’s more likely they severely underestimated Israel’s defense system. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It’s pretty clear that with all the leaks about timeline and details ahead of time that this was discussed between all parties. Appropriate show of force but no major civilian targets hit. Israel says 99% of targets taken down.  Look how great our defenses are, and so on. 

There’s been other clips from past Presidents describing the back channel discussions that happen before these attacks. This is following the formula. Nothingburger as they say. 

Da Komrad 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It’s a very rational response. It’s big and showy for the Islamic world to see that Iran isn’t going to take its consulate getting bombed without a response.  But the response is done in such a way that Israel can repel it with little difficulty and virtually no damage.

Israel can declare victory and call it a day based on the performance of its air defenses and the support it has received from its allies.  And, in fact, that’d probably be the smart play.

But it’s not the play that keeps Bibi in office and out of prison. So really no chance of that happening.

You punched me in the nose, so I'm going to shoot you in the chest.  It's cool though, 'cause I know you're wearing a vest.  So we'll all good, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

This is the best opportunity to take out the Islamic regime occupying Iran. Hope this is the spark needed to topple a regime that hates its own people and culture. 

Man.... You might be right, but it sucks that human death and suffering seems to be only be overcome by human death and suffering...

For religion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man.... You might be right, but it sucks that human death and suffering seems to be only be overcome by human death and suffering...
For religion.

So…it seems you’ve heard of planet earth and the vermin that is humanity.
Needless death and suffering for insanely stupid reasons is our jam.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Poester said:

The attack isn’t over, but I think you’re ascribing far too much good faith to Iran. I think it’s more likely they severely underestimated Israel’s defense system. 

Yes, I'm sure Iran is completely unaware of Israel's defense system. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's crazy. We believe we are the apex of evolution... And we constantly test out ability to end our own species behind religion. 

We've evolved past fighting over territories, and prefer to fight over religion. This is what to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Trying to think of any nation where there is a such a delta between God-tier civilization and shit-tier rulers.  The entire world should team up to Make Iran Persia Again. 

Iran is under occupation by the Islamic government. They have to use foreign enforcers to oppress the people. They tried to ban people from going to parks to celebrate the end of the Iranian New Year. They hate everything that makes Iran special. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yes, I'm sure Iran is completely unaware of Israel's defense system. 

Well, they tried a combination attack, the same attacks that have achieved some success by Russia against Ukraine overwhelming Western defense systems.

4 minutes ago, Slacks said:

It's crazy. We believe we are the apex of evolution... And we constantly test out ability to end our own species behind religion. 

We've evolved past fighting over territories, and prefer to fight over religion. This is what to me.

2 for territories - Ukraine and Taiwan. 1 for territory and religion - Israel.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, they tried a combination attack, the same attacks that have achieved some success by Russia against Ukraine overwhelming Western defense systems.

Ukraine and Israel are not comparable in any way when it comes to defense systems. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think it is a bit different. The IAF is an established air force. Israel has a robust anti-air capacity. And the distances are different. Russia shoots at a lot shorter range. sounding like a lot of the intercepts were before they got to the Israeli border.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I think it is a bit different. The IAF is an established air force. Israel has a robust anti-air capacity. And the distances are different. Russia shoots at a lot shorter range. sounding like a lot of the intercepts were before they got to the Israeli border.

For sure, but the attacks, nonetheless were intended to be more successful than just injuring a 10 year old girl. And the attacks came directly from Iran which is a clear escalation and an act of war. The Israeli response will be interesting.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bevo said:

For sure, but the attacks, nonetheless were intended to be more successful than just injuring a 10 year old girl. And the attacks came directly from Iran which is a clear escalation and an act of war. The Israeli response will be interesting.

I don't think it is over. Agree they wanted more. I would not want to be an Iranian operative in Syria or Lebanon right now. If they hit Iran proper that is 1- hard to do and will require our support, 2- lead to more escalation.

• Hook 'Em 1

They should bomb an Iranian embassy. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not only the longer distance to anticipate/watch the rockets/drones fly it also seems, quite frankly, like it'd be a lot easier to provide air defense over a smaller territory than a larger one.

image.thumb.png.fb7b431bd8312cfd08c7b896e9c074db.pngap

Edited by bolverk
forgot map
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, we can disagree on all that. Iran attacked Israel through Hamas and Iran has attacked Israel through Hezbollah. 1200 citizens of a tiny country have already died at the hands of Iran. This just makes the attacker more obvious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I don't think it is over. Agree they wanted more. I would not want to be an Iranian operative in Syria or Lebanon right now. If they hit Iran proper that is 1- hard to do and will require our support, 2- lead to more escalation.

I would guess that would be the move. Going after Iranian military targets such as nuclear facilities and drone manufacturing may be an option as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well there is the argument that the Syria consulate hit was pay back for this event.

Argentina court blames Iran for deadly 1994 bombing of Jewish center

Over three decades after deadly attacks in Buenos Aires targeted Israel's embassy and a Jewish center, an Argentine court placed the blame Thursday on Iran and declared it a "terrorist state," according to local media.

The ruling, cited by press reports, said Iran had ordered the attack in 1992 on Israel's embassy and the 1994 attack on the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association (AMIA) Jewish center.

The court also implicated the Iran-backed Shiite movement Hezbollah and called the attack against the AMIA -- the deadliest in Argentina's history -- a "crime against humanity," according to court documents cited by media reports.

"Hezbollah carried out an operation that responded to a political, ideological and revolutionary design under the mandate of a government, of a State," Carlos Mahiques, one of the three judges who issued the decision, told Radio Con Vos, referencing Iran.

In 1992, a bomb attack on the Israeli embassy left 29 dead. Two years later, a truck loaded with explosives drove into the AMIA Jewish center and detonated, leaving 85 dead and 300 injured.

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20240412-argentina-court-blames-iran-for-deadly-1994-attacks-on-jewish-centre

Edited by InkaUtexas
Link.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well there is the argument that the Syria consulate hit was pay back for this event.

Argentina court blames Iran for deadly 1994 bombing of Jewish center

Over three decades after deadly attacks in Buenos Aires targeted Israel's embassy and a Jewish center, an Argentine court placed the blame Thursday on Iran and declared it a "terrorist state," according to local media.

The ruling, cited by press reports, said Iran had ordered the attack in 1992 on Israel's embassy and the 1994 attack on the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association (AMIA) Jewish center.

The court also implicated the Iran-backed Shiite movement Hezbollah and called the attack against the AMIA -- the deadliest in Argentina's history -- a "crime against humanity," according to court documents cited by media reports.

"Hezbollah carried out an operation that responded to a political, ideological and revolutionary design under the mandate of a government, of a State," Carlos Mahiques, one of the three judges who issued the decision, told Radio Con Vos, referencing Iran.

In 1992, a bomb attack on the Israeli embassy left 29 dead. Two years later, a truck loaded with explosives drove into the AMIA Jewish center and detonated, leaving 85 dead and 300 injured.

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20240412-argentina-court-blames-iran-for-deadly-1994-attacks-on-jewish-centre

That seems like a pretty stupid argument. Is Israel not busy enough that they decided to add payback from 30 years ago to the list? 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

That seems like a pretty stupid argument. Is Israel not busy enough that they decided to add payback from 30 years ago to the list? 

The story is a bit deeper. The dudes killed in Syria may have been those that ordered it. I am not defending, just pointing out an argument I have seen since 1- the court ruling and 2- the Consulate hit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

busy enough with Iran?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We are bugs. #3bodyproblem

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Poester said:

Whatever, this was an intentional hit by pitch lobbed by Iran at Israel for theatrics. The theatrics were for the home crowd without any intended injury to the batter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

Whatever, this was an intentional hit by pitch lobbed by Iran at Israel for theatrics. The theatrics were for the home crowd without any intended injury to the batter.

Maybe this is the new modern warfare. Posturing at each other on social media and lobbing easy pitches right down the middle at each other that do nothing just so the spice continues to flow.

Seriously I can't stop with the Dune references

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think the tweet is referring to the release of $6B in frozen funds to Iran, the removal of sanctions against Iran, the allowance of Iran to sell petroleum products, and the allowance of Iran to sell drones and other military equipment to Russia to use against Ukraine. I think we give somewhere around $300M in foreign aid, also.

IMO, it is another pretty mindless tweet, though.

In no one’s mind was that a good choice looking back now….  It was also with an agreement they never actually did.  

This site has some amazing footage of ballistic missile strikes and how fast they're moving.  It makes you understand the challenges of defending against hypersonic missiles that can change trajectory during flight.  I suspect all of this was more of a show of Iran's capabilities rather than an actual attempt at trying to take out Israel.  However, from a pure defense standpoint, I'd expect we're learning a lot about how to defend multi-wave and barrage attacks as well as the reliability and effectiveness of the Iranian systems.

https://www.twz.com/news-features/irans-retaliatory-strikes-have-begun

48 minutes ago, Orale said:

Despite all the drama and excitement last night, in the light of day it appears to have mostly been a nothing berder. Hopefully Israel and Biden temper the rhetoric. 

A berder with no cheese?

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

That's more about hitting where the defenses aren't. 

• Like 1

As it has been for a while, the Iranian power brokers' goal is to make the U.S. and Israel the enemies to distract Iranians from the destruction they've done to their own people. The official actions from their government are performative and create the propaganda that keeps them in power. They have no desire to go to war. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Trying to think of any nation where there is a such a delta between God-tier civilization and shit-tier rulers.  The entire world should team up to Make Iran Persia Again. 

11 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Eta.  Surly web on my phone won’t put those pics where they belong.

IMG_2218.jpeg

IMG_2217.png

Every generation believes they will be the one to put a stop to wars in the Middle East. These conflicts stretch back several millennia and will continue to happen for several millennia more. Thinking that this is a problem that has a simple solution, or really any solution, is a fallacy. The best to hope for is containment to the region and that the civilian population does not suffer too greatly if things escalate like they inevitably will.

• Hook 'Em 2

• ztejas changed the title to Iran attacks Israel attacks Iran