CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

1 hour ago, Trojan Man said:

Nobody besides service academies wants to run the option.  It's the complete opposite of the direction the sport is moving.  That works for the academies since they have unique recruiting pools/strategies and their recruits don't have foobaw as their #1 concern.  Anyone else is kneecapping their program by running a system that no QBs or WRs or OL or DL worth a shit wants to play in.  The first 3 aren't learning skills that will translate to the NFL and getting tape that will impress scouts.  The last one doesn't want to get cut block nonstop by 300 pounders at every practice for 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

This could fit Stanford. Put some linemen and FB/TEs in the league. A Bowl game would be their goal.

Yeah, I can see why his name isn't popping up at EVERY P5 job, but Stanford and Ga Tech could probably both benefit from zigging while others are zagging. They're never going to out-recruit the traditional powers in the NIL world.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Thoughts @Upgrayedd?  Not very splashy, that’s for sure

I like it.

Dude went to Chap then ASU.  It’s his dream job.  He’s young and connected on the west coast.  He’s keeping Aguano.  Some decent names floated as staff.  Booster threw in a $1MM NIL after the presser.

I will be interested to see what kind of traction he gets in the portal.

Looking forward to the send off at the Rose Bowl next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Maybe he's just a pro guy, but he doesn't seem to be getting HC looks at that level - but if he wants to be an HC, how is Bienemy's name not coming up for CU or Auburn?  Could be a home run for CU if he's as good as those around him say. 

Keep my fuckin Oc’s name out ya dirty fuckin mouth. 

12 hours ago, Dewey said:

Leonhard and they use the word "blindsided" when describing his reaction to the UW hire. 

And it’s Chryst, not Crist, and Fickell, not Fickle.

It’s an interesting situation with Leonhard. I really thought they were planning to give him the job. Everyone did. But you can’t argue with the Fickell hire.

I wonder if Leonhard might stay on as DC. If anyone can identify with going from interim head coach back to DC for a new coach, it’s Fickell. The difference is that at the time Fickell didn’t really have any designs on being a head coach yet. Maybe Leonhard will stay or maybe he’ll take some other head coaching job to build up his resume. I don’t know what kind of relationship they have or what coaches Luke might want to bring with him from UC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe he's just a pro guy, but he doesn't seem to be getting HC looks at that level - but if he wants to be an HC, how is Bienemy's name not coming up for CU or Auburn?  Could be a home run for CU if he's as good as those around him say. 

I believe Bienemy interviewed at CU the last time it was open. I think he wants to be in the pro game. College is a complete cluster now.

29 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Meanwhile at Auburn, still typically dysfunctional.  Doesn't seem to have a plan beyond kiffen (renewed at Ole miss) and freeze (alumni rejection) 

Potential targets are currently Bryan Harsin and Gus Malzahn 

Tennessee had the most spectacularly explosive single coaching “search” of all time in 2017, but for the most consistently entertaining dumbfuckery cycle after cycle, Auburn has to be the all time champ. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, redswingline said:

Got it. I better understand where you are coming from.

I'm not really sure what Stanfords long term plans for football are.

Is football running in the red? I assume so. Being a private school they don't have to disclose their operating costs / net / losses.

Even then, I find it hard to believe they would outright drop the program. Stanford blew ass for like 15 years and they didn't cut it. Why do it now?

Last time Stanford had an extended period of sucking CFB was much different than it is now.  Coaches are receiving contracts close to nine figures.  High schoolers are openly, legally getting 7 figure deals to go to certain schools.  Every player has unrestricted free agency every offseason.  Their conference was stable back then whereas now they are losing 2 out of their 3 instate peers.  Add up all those changes and it wouldn't be surprising if Stanford decided to stop playing football or drop to the FCS level.

15 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

It's very easy to see why Bienemy doesn't get head coach interest at either the college or the NFL level.  He's an OC working under a head coach with an amazing reputation on offense, he has a generational QB who is redefining how the position is played, he has a HoF TE and until this year he had a HoF WR.  You would have to actively try to lose to not put up big numbers as the Chiefs' OC.  If Bienemey lights up the scoreboard working for a defense-first head coach with an offense led by an average QB he'll have plenty of head coach offers.

1 minute ago, Trojan Man said:

Last time Stanford had an extended period of sucking CFB was much different than it is now.  Coaches are receiving contracts close to nine figures.  High schoolers are openly, legally getting 7 figure deals to go to certain schools.  Every player has unrestricted free agency every offseason.  Their conference was stable back then whereas now they are losing 2 out of their 3 instate peers.  Add up all those changes and it wouldn't be surprising if Stanford decided to stop playing football or drop to the FCS level.

I'm struggling to figure out whether or not you know what in the fuck you are typing about regarding Stanford potentially dropping football. You seem like you really believe it to be a possibility, so that's interesting. On the other hand, I watched Stanford alums throw a fucking hissy fit when their AD tried to pare back on the roster of olympic sports in which they compete during the pandemic. They ended up endowing all of those to remove future risk of an AD doing something stupid like that.

Now they're going to be okay with dropping football or seeing it relegated to FCS status? Huh. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see if that premise even hints at surfacing before I stop assuming that you're full of shit and making this up out of whole cloth. There is a stronger likelihood that the institution and AD get bullied into figuring out transfers and NIL than there is of them letting football die on the vine. 

And yes, we all know of Stanford's elitism and worldview and blah blah blah. We're not in the same state or conference but we live on the same fucking planet. I still think, in spite of all of that, that Stanford ultimately decides to evolve versus die in the number 1 sport across the entirety of the college landscape.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Weird as hell. Local guy, won the Fremont Cannon this year, and the rebuild seemed to be on schedule.

Yeah, that's just stupid by UNLV. He gets hired right as COVID hitting. Everyone thinks he's upgraded the talent significantly and almost got them to a bowl game in what is really his 2nd year for what has been a perrenial door mat.  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm struggling to figure out whether or not you know what in the fuck you are typing about regarding Stanford potentially dropping football. You seem like you really believe it to be a possibility, so that's interesting. On the other hand, I watched Stanford alums throw a fucking hissy fit when their AD tried to pare back on the roster of olympic sports in which they compete during the pandemic. They ended up endowing all of those to remove future risk of an AD doing something stupid like that.

Now they're going to be okay with dropping football or seeing it relegated to FCS status? Huh. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see if that premise even hints at surfacing before I stop assuming that you're full of shit and making this up out of whole cloth. There is a stronger likelihood that the institution and AD get bullied into figuring out transfers and NIL than there is of them letting football die on the vine. 

And yes, we all know of Stanford's elitism and worldview and blah blah blah. We're not in the same state or conference but we live on the same fucking planet. I still think, in spite of all of that, that Stanford ultimately decides to evolve versus die in the number 1 sport across the entirety of the college landscape.

spacer.png

Nothing like a good ctj rant to start the day.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, that's just stupid by UNLV. He gets hired right as COVID hitting. Everyone thinks he's upgraded the talent significantly and almost got them to a bowl game in what is really his 2nd year for what has been a perrenial door mat.  

They may be angling to join the Pac when SC and UCLA bail, and may want a big name to navigate that.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don't claim to have any insider information on Stanford.  I'm not connected with them at all.  Everything I'm saying is just speculation based on my own observations from being in the same conference with them and knowing some of their graduates and making an educated guess how they will react to the massively shifting landscape in college sports.  I think there is a possibility Stanford ends up in the B1G if they're the last piece of the puzzle that finally lures Notre Dame into the conference, something I've extrapolated on in the realignment thread.  But I also think Stanford either dropping football or dropping down to FCS is just as likely.

We (as in the entire sport) are at a major fork in the road.  Schools will have to decide which path they want to take.  Are they prioritizing football and willing to spend the money necessary to remain relevant or are they going to say "Enough is enough," opt out of the rat race and remember they are a university with a football team instead of a football team with a university?  Stanford is one of the few that has the money and prestige necessary they don't have to keep football around to fund their sports.  Like you referred to, when Stanford needed money to fund their Olympic sports they had boosters step in immediately to save them because those are the sports they care about.  They like being represented at the Olympics.  They enjoy bragging about winning more Olympic medals than most countries.  They see it as more "pure" and truly amateur than the revenue sports.  If Stanford asked for boosters to help fund a $100 million contract for an elite head coach and a huge NIL war chest for football players it wouldn't get nearly as much traction with their donors.  Stanford also doesn't need a football program to use as marketing for the university and help boost applications/enrollment the way football factories do.  Stanford is an outlier for a lot of reasons and most of the reasons make the existence of a football team optional.  I really don't think this is a batshit crazy possibility.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

I don't claim to have any insider information on Stanford.  I'm not connected with them at all.  Everything I'm saying is just speculation based on my own observations from being in the same conference with them and knowing some of their graduates and making an educated guess how they will react to the massively shifting landscape in college sports.  I think there is a possibility Stanford ends up in the B1G if they're the last piece of the puzzle that finally lures Notre Dame into the conference, something I've extrapolated on in the realignment thread.  But I also think Stanford either dropping football or dropping down to FCS is just as likely.

We (as in the entire sport) are at a major fork in the road.  Schools will have to decide which path they want to take.  Are they prioritizing football and willing to spend the money necessary to remain relevant or are they going to say "Enough is enough," opt out of the rat race and remember they are a university with a football team instead of a football team with a university?  Stanford is one of the few that has the money and prestige necessary they don't have to keep football around to fund their sports.  Like you referred to, when Stanford needed money to fund their Olympic sports they had boosters step in immediately to save them because those are the sports they care about.  They like being represented at the Olympics.  They enjoy bragging about winning more Olympic medals than most countries.  They see it as more "pure" and truly amateur than the revenue sports.  If Stanford asked for boosters to help fund a $100 million contract for an elite head coach and a huge NIL war chest for football players it wouldn't get nearly as much traction with their donors.  Stanford also doesn't need a football program to use as marketing for the university and help boost applications/enrollment the way football factories do.  Stanford is an outlier for a lot of reasons and most of the reasons make the existence of a football team optional.  I really don't think this is a batshit crazy possibility.

I guess this part of the post:

"And yes, we all know of Stanford's elitism and worldview and blah blah blah. We're not in the same state or conference but we live on the same fucking planet."

didn't resonate at all for you?

Your theory is fine, but that kind of shit really should be left to the batshit crazy realignment thread if you've got nothing factual behind it. Fan fiction on a thread in which current events around coaching decisions are being discussed sticks out like a sore thumb. I assumed it was either fan fiction or you were breaking insider info about Stanford shutting its football program down on Surly. Couldn't tell which one was more likely at all.

26 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

Last time Stanford had an extended period of sucking CFB was much different than it is now.  Coaches are receiving contracts close to nine figures. 

David Shaw for instance. Who was making 9.25 to deliver that garbage product. Is the Stanford job inherently hard? Yes. Very much so. Did he get the keys to a Ferrari and drive that motherfucker into every telephone poll in sight? Also yes.

Shaw with one of the worst roster management jobs in all of p5 football over his tenure. The second the Harbaugh recruits were gone that team went from handing out physical beatdowns to it's current clown show, esp once he lost Bloomgren to Rice (note that the last time a Shaw team was ranked Bloomgren was there). 

Shaw's last 3 non-covid seasons he went 6-21 in conference with numerous 20+ point ass kickings - all while making top dollar to be completely uncompetitive during a conference wide mediocre run in the Pac. He should've been fired before but he's an alum and a "nice dude" and so he stayed around long enough to leave a disastrous roster for the next coach to try and rebuild (esp difficult given the challenges around transfers and Stanford not accepting them). Do I expect the next guy will be Harbaugh and get them into the top 5-10 on the regular? fuck no, but there are a fuckton of coaches that can do more at Stanford than 6-21 and they'll do it for far less that 9.25 per, even in the world of NIL and the evolving landscape. Shaw was just bad. 

Stanford is not going to do away with football, FFS - I think it's far more likely that they move closer to Notre Dame's model with this next hire. They clearly care enough about football to pay Shaw top tier money. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

David Shaw for instance. Who was making 9.25 to deliver that garbage product. Is the Stanford job inherently hard? Yes. Very much so. Did he get the keys to a Ferrari and drive that motherfucker into every telephone poll in sight? Also yes.

Shaw with one of the worst roster management jobs in all of p5 football over his tenure. The second the Harbaugh recruits were gone that team went from handing out physical beatdowns to it's current clown show, esp once he lost Bloomgren to Rice (note that the last time a Shaw team was ranked Bloomgren was there). 

Shaw's last 3 non-covid seasons he went 6-21 in conference with numerous 20+ point ass kickings - all while making top dollar to be completely uncompetitive during a conference wide mediocre run in the Pac. He should've been fired before but he's an alum and a "nice dude" and so he stayed around long enough to leave a disastrous roster for the next coach to try and rebuild (esp difficult given the challenges around transfers and Stanford not accepting them). Do I expect the next guy will be Harbaugh and get them into the top 5-10 on the regular? fuck no, but there are a fuckton of coaches that can do more at Stanford than 6-21 and they'll do it for far less that 9.25 per, even in the world of NIL and the evolving landscape. Shaw was just bad. 

Stanford is not going to do away with football, FFS - I think it's far more likely that they move closer to Notre Dame's model with this next hire. They clearly care enough about football to pay Shaw top tier money. 

It seems like you are not a David Shaw fan

He has reportedly stated several times that he does not want to coach in college. IIRC, he turned down Colorado a few years back.

At this point he is probably just waiting on Andy to burn out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess this part of the post:

"And yes, we all know of Stanford's elitism and worldview and blah blah blah. We're not in the same state or conference but we live on the same fucking planet."

didn't resonate at all for you?

Your theory is fine, but that kind of shit really should be left to the batshit crazy realignment thread if you've got nothing factual behind it. Fan fiction on a thread in which current events around coaching decisions are being discussed sticks out like a sore thumb. I assumed it was either fan fiction or you were breaking insider info about Stanford shutting its football program down on Surly. Couldn't tell which one was more likely at all.

My bad.  I can get carried away on tangents sometimes.  But I do think the two subjects are related.  If Stanford makes an impressive hire that would be a sign they're positioning themselves for a B1G invitation or to own the new Pac.  If they cheap out and hire somebody who is an obvious loser that doesn't bode well for the future of the program.

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Shaw kept Stanford playing at a high level for some time before the Ferrari crashed, which is impressive at a non-power.  Shaw maintaining what Harbaugh built at Stanford is very different than Day maintaining what Meyer built at Ohio State.  That 2015 team was incredible and it was entirely built by Shaw (Harbaugh left after 2010).  They were a 9 AM week 1 kickoff at Northwestern from making the CFP and McCaffrey would have run away with the Heisman that year if he and Henry swapped teams.  All in all Shaw had a pretty damn good run from 2011-18.  After the first couple years you can't say it was just coasting off Harbaugh's momentum and recruits.  Also, Shaw was Harbaugh's OC at Stanford from day 1 so he gets some credit for building up the program from nothing.  His downfall is that he was too arrogant and stubborn to ever adapt once the wheels started to fall off, going from 9-4 in 2018 to 4-8 in 2019 and never getting out of that rut.  Shaw is definitely the kind of guy who always thinks he is the smartest person in the room and knows the solution to every problem.

Falling off as badly as Shaw did would have had him fired at least a couple years earlier at most other schools, but again Stanford is a different place with different priorities.  They sprung for Shaw because he had a track record of success at Stanford.  I'd be surprised if they pay his replacement as much as Shaw was making after a decade in charge and 3 conference titles.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trojan Man said:

I don't claim to have any insider information on Stanford.

Everything you have said about Stanford, I swear I had already read all of it. Then I remembered, it was put out there by the LA Times, back in late summer / early fall of this year. I'm too lazy to find the article but it had all of the same points and conjecture

Edited by redswingline

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

simplewrong.gif.5341276577d59fd4ee8988cf351fefa6.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Meanwhile at Auburn, still typically dysfunctional.  Doesn't seem to have a plan beyond kiffen (renewed at Ole miss) and freeze (alumni rejection) 

Potential targets are currently Bryan Harsin and Gus Malzahn 

Well played.

I just now received a message from a buddy at Auburn and he said it looks like it will be Freeze.

58 minutes ago, Mittens said:

The idea of Stanford leaving the Pac12 and joining the WAC or WCC is fucking hilarious.  

I doubled over when he said FCS.

Imagine Stanford joining the  Big Sky Conference so they can play Sacramento State, UC Davis and Weber State

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 2