Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It may have been one of those deals were she always changed her mind afterwards and refused to press charges.  That happens a lot in spousal abuse situations.  The abuser is often very good at maniuplating the spouse in to not pressing charges.

I think its very much that kind of a situation.  Its incredible how people can and will make excuses for an abuser, and in this and many other cases it can even be the family of the abused who pressure them to 'forgive'.  She had people all around her telling her that it would ruin his career and his life.  Nobody seemed particularly interested in what it was doing to her.

• Like 4

Won't someone please go back and correct Congresswoman Corrine Brown's House Floor speech regarding "Outstanding Corch Irvin Meyers for corching..."

Edited by Lobo

54 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Well, it took ESPN 4+ hours to even present / post the story yesterday once McMurphy dropped the bombshell. 

They lay off a solid reporter and professional like McMurphy who knows CFB inside and out while the network continues to employ unbridled buffoons like Desmond Howard.  Just another example of ESPN going to shit. 

But what does PAAAAAWWWWLLL have to say?

I hope this helps clean up the sport a little. If you're a coach and you see that Urban Meyer got fired for turning a blind eye, maybe you reassess the value of that sexual predator linebacker or violent assistant coach.

One can hope. Schools don't want to get sued and give away the very money they've desperately fought to keep tax exempt.

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I hope this helps clean up the sport a little. If you're a coach and you see that Urban Meyer got fired for turning a blind eye, maybe you reassess the value of that sexual predator linebacker or violent assistant coach.

One can hope. Schools don't want to get sued and give away the very money they've desperately fought to keep tax exempt.

Yup.  The days of social media means that, eventually (and often sooner than later), everything is going to come out in the wash.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That WR coach was the grandson of a former Ohio St head coach who was one of Urban's mentors.  

Too much might be made about this.  If I hired a friend's kid, and the kid was screwing up, I would give him a choice to leave on his own or be fired.  If I fired him, I would probably give my friend a call to explain the situation.    

Of course, I would have had that talk with my friend when I hired his kid.  He screws up, I'm firing him as I would anyone.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

The thing that amazes me more than anything in these University related incidents is how the local Police are never blamed for willfully ignoring blatant abuse and criminal activity. Sweep it under the rug, and forget about it seems to be their MO. How that 2015 incident and pictures doesn't result in significant jail time is beyond me. It's like a woman has to be murdered before they are willing to do anything about domestic abuse. It's just disgusting, and to think they had young children growing up in that house and witnessing all of it. 

I'm not sure what legal obligation college coaches would have in these situations, but every one of those coaches and their wives have a moral and ethical obligation to help that abused wife and her kids get out of that situation. Text messages of "sympathy and support" are not enough. It goes way beyond whatever contract clauses people are arguing about, if you care about someone at all, you get them away from that situation. Those kids are going to be scarred for life having to see their mother beaten and abused, and it's going to stay with them the rest of their lives. Just a shame for them to go through that, when they really shouldn't have been in that situation for anywhere near that long. 

I think she chose not to press charges in 2009 and 2015. Not sure what more what the police and other parts of the criminal justice system can do when that happens. (not a legal expert so somebody else can answer the question)

6 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

UnconsciousCleanIrishwolfhound-size_rest

It might clean up Ohio State for a while, if the guy who eventually replaces Urb (whenever that is, I'm not convinced it is imminent) doesn't win enough. then they'll go back to a scumbag. The big factor is not what program has bad shit happen, but rather which program's bad shit sees the light of day to make it to scandal status   

39 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

998ad0bc2fbcf2c5f1d3e0a7d3045838.jpg

Since he's paid to comment on college football and this is a major college football scandal, I'll take his silence as an indication that unequivocally supports Urban Meyer and that he thinks Mrs Smith is a lippy bitch that got what she deserved and that she owes Meyer an apology. I mean spousal abuse and it's coverup to save the position coach is nothing compared to UT tripping over their own feet in replacing their coach (or whatever he thought was the "cesspool").

4 hours ago, smokebomb said:

hes-dead-jim.jpg

I agree.  I started to read this thread thinking they'd sweep this under the rug, but now I think he's gone and likely very soon.  I think they are stalling to see if this will blow over.  It's the wrong time in our history to have a scandal like this with #meetoo and all.  He'll be gone within days IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I agree.  I started to read this thread thinking they'd sweep this under the rug, but now I think he's gone and likely very soon.  I think they are stalling to see if this will blow over.  It's the wrong time in our history to have a scandal like this with #meetoo and all.  He'll be gone within days IMO.

This is correct. He might have skated in the past. Not now.

17 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

UnconsciousCleanIrishwolfhound-size_rest

It might clean up Ohio State for a while, if the guy who eventually replaces Urb (whenever that is, I'm not convinced it is imminent) doesn't win enough. then they'll go back to a scumbag. The big factor is not what program has bad shit happen, but rather which program's bad shit sees the light of day to make it to scandal status   

I disagree. I think the whole "me too" movement is a watershed moment for slowly changing how we deal with this stuff. While we're in moral panic territory right now as decades of skeletons are being dragged out of the closet, I do think coaching behavior will change. There will be a new normal. Schools have to be very scared that a general public more interested in listening to accusers will lead to more successful lawsuits. Baylor for example: Briles' wins are great, but not if you're handing money out in settlements and enrollment decreases.

Edited by Ricky Butler

8 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Agree he's gone in days - he won't coach a down in 2018 (probably ever again).  I don't think OSU is stalling.  Actions like this don't happen at the speed of the internet.

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Too much might be made about this.  If I hired a friend's kid, and the kid was screwing up, I would give him a choice to leave on his own or be fired.  If I fired him, I would probably give my friend a call to explain the situation.    

Of course, I would have had that talk with my friend when I hired his kid.  He screws up, I'm firing him as I would anyone.

Supposedly Meyer asked Smith to find a soft landing this past off-season, and no one would take him.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Supposedly Meyer asked Smith to find a soft landing this past off-season, and no one would take him.

I'm not surprised since some of his behavior was probably known, but that wouldn't change my stance of leave or be fired.  Your choice.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games