Jalen Hurts not happy; grad transfers to OU

Machinator

1 minute ago, 47Straight said:

Yes the heismans and first round picks are bound to hurt them at some point.

Yeah, that’s going to happen every time. 

May this cause much turmoil within your player ranks. I hope lots of guys get upset and some transfer. Fuck OU. 

I'm curious to see how Riley develops him.  They'll certainly need to adapt the offense a bit for him.  Hurts has 48 passing touchdowns and 12 interceptions after 3 years.  As much as I want this move to hurt OU, realistically, I expect them to win about 10 games and Hurts to play better for them than he ever did for Bama.

I think Texas can beat OU either way, but I bet Hurts destroys most of the conference.

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

He's got 7 months to learn a new offense and completely different system and style.  Mayfield was a spread QB at Tech and Lake Travis.  Then he had 20 months to sit and learn before taking the field at OU.  The Ewok played for a spread HC and Air Raid bro OC at aggy.  He also sat for 20 months before playing a snap, then was backup for a year before starting.

Hurts has a much lower starting point as a passer and less time to learn. 

I'm going to have to see Riley actually fuck up with a highly-touted transfer QB before I assume it'll happen. I think Hurts will probably do just fine. BJ Foster will make him feel pain, though.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

He's got 7 months to learn a new offense and completely different system and style.  Mayfield was a spread QB at Tech and Lake Travis.  Then he had 20 months to sit and learn before taking the field at OU.  The Ewok played for a spread HC and Air Raid bro OC at aggy.  He also sat for 20 months before playing a snap, then was backup for a year before starting.

Hurts has a much lower starting point as a passer and less time to learn. 

Agreed.  I think they would've been better off sticking with Kendall who has been in their system for 3 years going on 4.  I think this is going to bite Lincoln on the ass. 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm going to have to see Riley actually fuck up with a highly-touted transfer QB before I assume it'll happen. I think Hurts will probably do just fine. BJ Foster will make him feel pain, though.

Riley had 2 successes under much more favorable circumstances.  Hurts is going to be a much bigger project.  I see no reason to expect his performance to be comparable to Murray and Mayfield.  I also don't expect him to be bad.

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Riley had 2 successes under much more favorable circumstances.  Hurts is going to be a much bigger project.  I see no reason to expect his performance to be comparable to Murray and Mayfield.  I also don't expect him to be bad.

Yeah. He is not garbage, and Riley can coach, but this is not exactly what we faced this last year.

3 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

They will be 5-0 before our game yet again. I'm hoping for a top 5 match up once we take care of LSU. 

2019 is setting up as a chance for us to play some big games on a national stage. I think we will be ready.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I feel good to great about where our program is headed.

That being said, UT fans trying to rationalize this away as no big deal is kinda funny.  Our track record in predicting how gooner QBs will pan out is . . . not good.  Anyone remember "Sam Bradford seems like he sucks?"

The Sam Ehlinger thread should be proof enough that whatever this board thinks about a QB, the opposite will probably come true.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

That being said, UT fans trying to rationalize this away as no big deal is kinda funny.  Our track record in predicting how gooner QBs will pan out is . . . not good.  Anyone remember "Sam Bradford seems like he sucks?"

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/154651-OU-is-a-program-in-major-decline

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/180930-2017-Alabama-Is-Going-To-Gargle-Your-Balls

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/172850-Kansas-is-hopeless

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Not scared, just saying we do this every year and then this happens:

Hide contents

38681971c0bbee1cbf6122b300f04bda

TRERGPFIPRMMRYY.20171202222722.jpg

Agreed. To me, Hurts is not a polished passer, especially to be effective as most QBs in the Big 12. Of course, Riley will have plays catered to Hurts' strengths and be very competitive but as Sushi mentioned before......Hurts and Rielly only have a handful of months to learn a completely different system.

Question, since Hurts is from Texas, I am assuming that he played in a spread offense. How effective was he in spread?

I foresee Reilly utilizing a lot of roll outs, rpos and quick screens to get Hurts comfortable with the occasional deep shot.

Just now, alphahorn said:

while true, i don't think Nostradamus would have seen the change in Sam after the Maryland game this year 

Well, the nostradamuses on this thread don't think Hurts can be a really good QB either.

I think he'll be pretty damn good, if not Heisman-quality. Enos did good work with him, and Riley will continue that development.

However, I think the determining factor in whether 2019 OU will be more of the same or a true contender will be how quickly their new offensive line gels, and what Grinch does with the defense.

9 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Riley is a good coach.  It is what is.  It was no big deal when they got Baker or Murray either.  I wish they'd go into a dark period but it's not happening.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, the nostradamuses on this thread don't think Hurts can be a really good QB either.

I think he'll be pretty damn good, if not Heisman-quality. Enos did good work with him, and Riley will continue that development.

However, I think the determining factor in whether 2019 OU will be more of the same or a true contender will be how quickly their new offensive line gels, and what Grinch does with the defense.

I agree. He's with the qb whisperer, he had to go to ou if ou seemed interested.  he's committed to playing qb and no one brings more credibility to the conversation when they look you in the eye and tell you I'll get more out of you than anyone 

34 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Well, if his last name started with the letter "M", then I'd be concerned.  We good.

• Like 1