Are Dollar General Stores a sign that your small town has died?

Horn Under a Bad Sign

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

SE Asians run most of the non-Shipley's donut shops in Houston and some of them wipe the floor with Shipley's. It's a Cambodian thing, starting in Cali and moving east.

well, i learned something today, so thanks for that. that's really interesting - our local shops in south austin are also cambodian.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

"Food deserts" are really a thing to some people, even in urban environments.  I work in SE Austin right by TPWD, and the nearest real grocery store is probably 4 or 5 miles away.  If you have a car, that's not such a big deal.  But a lot of people out here rely on public transportation, meaning if you want to go to HEB or Fiesta you have to ride a bus and haul all your shit home on it, or beg a ride from someone.  It's no wonder that much of the time those people opt to go to the convenience store a couple of blocks away and overpay for shit food, or eat fast food, which there is no shortage of around here.  

Hopefully things like HEB delivery and similar services will change some of that but shit it's hard to get anything even delivered to this neighborhood.

Agree that poorer areas of large cities have fewer grocery store options but that is true for them with almost every retail store.  It's hard to force grocers to open stores in areas that presumably have poor business.  People need to eat but poor people probably buy less per capita.  Or buy lower margin items.

Whole Foods is opening up a 365 store along 610 North & Yale in Houston.  Basically at the connection of the Heights, GOOF and Independence Heights (poorer area) neighborhoods.  Independence Heights has very few grocery options.  Whole Foods seem to be hyping the store as mainly being associated with Independence Heights but it will be interesting to see the actual clientele.    A new HEB is also being built a half mile away but that is in the Heights.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

SE Asians run most of the non-Shipley's donut shops in Houston and some of them wipe the floor with Shipley's. It's a Cambodian thing, starting in Cali and moving east.

Yep. We have one run by a Cambodian family. They are always working their asses off, making great products, and doing it with a smile on their face.  Other places have opened closer to my house- fuck them.  Snowflake has my business as long as we live here.  I know some of y'all would get a kick out of the name. 

I'd hate to be the grocer throwing out produce because people didn't want it.

CSB: One day I was eating at a foo-foo private college. They had all the food choices you could want from fresh multicolored fruits and vegetables, to salty fried brown fatlumps. I checked out what people were eating. The students and professors, even the broke-ass $500/month adjuncts, they had a mix on their plates that trended healthy. The cleaning and maintenance dudes? Every Single One had a plate of salty fried brown fatlumps. Y'know, comfort food. Heart attack food. I am sure these guys had more spare cash than their salad-eatin school types, they just wanted their salty fried brown okra, chicken, whatever all that colorless glop was.

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

CSB: One day I was eating at a foo-foo private college. They had all the food choices you could want from fresh multicolored fruits and vegetables, to salty fried brown fatlumps. I checked out what people were eating. The students and professors, even the broke-ass $500/month adjuncts, they had a mix on their plates that trended healthy. The cleaning and maintenance dudes? Every Single One had a plate of salty fried brown fatlumps. Y'know, comfort food. Heart attack food. I am sure these guys had more spare cash than their salad-eatin school types, they just wanted their salty fried brown okra, chicken, whatever all that colorless glop was.

Colorless glop = love, whether you are in Alabama or Texas. 

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The Mexican supermarket in my town will give you a free ride home if you spend 50 bucks. Lots of women take the bus to the market and the shuttle van home.

That....is fucking GENIUS.  Mutually beneficial, a decent thing to do, and a driver of business.  "Get to my business, do all you're shopping, and I'll get you home."

Folks, that's why we're MexiCANs, not MexiCAN'Ts.

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

"Food deserts" are really a thing to some people, even in urban environments.  I work in SE Austin right by TPWD, and the nearest real grocery store is probably 4 or 5 miles away.  If you have a car, that's not such a big deal.  But a lot of people out here rely on public transportation, meaning if you want to go to HEB or Fiesta you have to ride a bus and haul all your shit home on it, or beg a ride from someone.  It's no wonder that much of the time those people opt to go to the convenience store a couple of blocks away and overpay for shit food, or eat fast food, which there is no shortage of around here.  

Hopefully things like HEB delivery and similar services will change some of that but shit it's hard to get anything even delivered to this neighborhood.

That JD's supermarket out off of 812 just east of 183 does an incredible business.  Grocery store that looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a community hub.

And, their in-house taqueria kicks much ass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That....is fucking GENIUS.  Mutually beneficial, a decent thing to do, and a driver of business.  "Get to my business, do all you're shopping, and I'll get you home."

That JD's supermarket out off of 812 just east of 183 does an incredible business.  Grocery store that looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's a community hub.

Yeah, even their burgers are fantastic.  Trying to turn left out of their parking lot is risking death though.  It is a great store.  We bought our last whole pig there when we roasted it.   

I spend a lot of time driving around rural Texas doing photography. Finding a small town without a dollar general/family dollar/dollar tree is like finding a strip mall in Houston that doesn’t have a nail salon...virtually impossible. Where else are you going to find Stars and Stripes flowing like the mighty mississip?

E89TRcNf_o.jpeg

Also, I wouldn’t trust those $1 drug tests they carry.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Reminds me of how Fiesta Mart never had any problems with their customers walking their shopping carts all the way home. They just send pick up trucks out every so often to collect them from the nearby apartments. 

On 8/13/2018 at 2:46 PM, Brothahorn said:

How does one live in the heart of America and not have access to fresh food? We're not talking some urban jungle. So the issue is not DG or Walmart. I guarantee you, somewhere, somehow there is government stupidity playing a big part.

Corporate driven monocultures. If it is wheat, corn, and soybeans for hundreds of miles where are the vegetables and fruits coming from?

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Seriously, though, Dollar Generals and Family Dollars are saviors to some small towns, like my way-late grandmother's hometown of Clarksville. Thanks to its proximity to Arkansas, it was one of the first Texas towns to get a Wal-Mart, back in the '70s or so. That little Wal-Mart killed most of downtown by 1990. Then they opened a Supercenter in Mount Pleasant, or Paris, or maybe up in Oklahoma. Actually, I think they did all three, and Clarksvillians would drive to the big shiny new stores a half-hour away for their big shops instead of their own cruddy little local, so Bartlesville shut it down.

And then they were proper fucked -- now they HAD to make that long drive, even if all they wanted was a pair of socks or a milk carton full of Goldfish. That was the state of affairs for a few years until DG and FD came back to town, and that's a common story all over shithole rural America.  

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

On 8/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It is hard to get fresh produce in Presidio and sometimes even in Fort Stockton. I have repeatedly been appalled at the condition of some of the fruit and veggies  at the Lowe's in Fort Stockton.  I mean, it's on an interstate.  It should not be that hard to get fresh produce there. I can understand Presidio because it's at the end of the earth. 

Did you say LOWE'S?  The hardware store?

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Seriously, though, Dollar Generals and Family Dollars are saviors to some small towns, like my way-late grandmother's hometown of Clarksville. Thanks to its proximity to Arkansas, it was one of the first Texas towns to get a Wal-Mart, back in the '70s or so. That little Wal-Mart killed most of downtown by 1990. Then they opened a Supercenter in Mount Pleasant, or Paris, or maybe up in Oklahoma. Actually, I think they did all three, and Clarksvillians would drive to the big shiny new stores a half-hour away for their big shops instead of their own cruddy little local, so Bartlesville shut it down.

And then they were proper fucked -- now they HAD to make that long drive, even if all they wanted was a pair of socks or a milk carton full of Goldfish. That was the state of affairs for a few years until DG and FD came back to town, and that's a common story all over shithole rural America.  

God that’s a depressing read. 

On 8/14/2018 at 1:58 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

If the only national business in your town is a Hunt Brothers franchise on the grease rack at the local independent gas station, your town is almost dead.

If you only have a DG beyond that, you're only a little better off.

If you also have a Family Dollar, there's some hope left. Family Dollar is the Target to DGs Walmart. 

Now those motherfuckers know how to make a authentic Pizza with their family recipe dating back generations of Hunts before they immigrated from Sicily. 

Really?  I've never heard of Lowes the grocery store till I read this thread.  

Really.

Slorch even said it was a West Texas chain of grocery stores. Then someone asked if it was the other Lowe’s. Even if he hadn’t, are we not doing deductive reasoning anymore? Talking about towns that can’t even get a Walmart all of the sudden have a massive hardware store chain?

On 8/14/2018 at 4:51 PM, RDCanecutter said:

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really.

Slorch even said it was a West Texas chain of grocery stores. Then someone asked if it was the other Lowe’s. Even if he hadn’t, are we not doing deductive reasoning anymore? Talking about towns that can’t even get a Walmart all of the sudden have a massive hardware store chain?

Yes, I saw that.  But that was the first mention of a grocery chain store called Lowes that I've heard of.  And rember what happens when we all ASSume things...

I’ve shopped there once, and it was incredibly useful that night. 

Showed up to a friend of a friends  house in POC; he was letting us use during a tournament.  All the lights were popping. Started messing around and noticed the ground wire has been separated from the rod by the lawn crew.   Dollar General had the Chinese vice grips I needed to reattach the wire to the rod (while being slightly shocked) and all the bulbs that had blown. $11 or so and the house was up and running again.   Beat the shit out of driving to Lavaca half drunk that night. My repair is still there a year later.   It was odd how they had so much random shit. 

54 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Showed up to a friend of a friends  house in POC; he was letting us use during a tournament.  All the lights were popping. Started messing around and noticed the ground wire has been separated from the rod by the lawn crew.   Dollar General had the Chinese vice grips I needed to reattach the wire to the rod (while being slightly shocked) and all the bulbs that had blown. $11 or so and the house was up and running again.   Beat the shit out of driving to Lavaca half drunk that night. My repair is still there a year later.   It was odd how they had so much random shit. 

That doesn't sound right.  That house has serious issues and will burn one day. 

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

And this is exactly the kind of stuff DG is good for. Also to pick up some Doritos and a case of cheap beer while you are at it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

THIS.  Fuck Walmart!

• 1 month later...

Gunman Shoots at Least 5 People Outside Dollar General in Germantown

At least five people were taken to the hospital following a drive-by shooting outside a shopping center in the Germantown section of Philadelphia Wednesday afternoon.

The victims, ages 19 through 23, were outside a Dollar General store on Germantown Avenue and Wister Street around 3 p.m. when a white not so tame Impala pulled up in front of them, police said.

At least two gunmen inside the vehicle fired 18 shots. One of the victims was shot in the head. The other four were shot in the hands, arms and foot.

All five victims were taken to the hospital. Police say the victim who was shot in the head is in the most serious condition.

Officials have not yet released a description of the suspects.

"I can assure you it's about something stupid. Just like most things are," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said. "But right now we've got a lot of unanswered questions."

If you have any information on the shooting, please call Philadelphia police.

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

"I can assure you it's about something stupid. Just like most things are," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said. "But right now we've got a lot of unanswered questions."

That's pretty profound, if you think about it.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Will someone explain to me why this is a surprise?  Low cost grocers have alway fed more Americans than premium grocers.  If it's a dietary thing I get that, but I don't see what this graphic is supposed to make us upset about.  

Will someone explain to me why this is a surprise?  Low cost grocers have alway fed more Americans than premium grocers.  If it's a dietary thing I get that, but I don't see what this graphic is supposed to make us upset about.  

Personally I'm upset with the wording. The used the qualifier "is now" as if DG wasn't significantly ahead of WF at every point of that graph.

There are plenty of legit ways the poor and the rural are at a disadvantage when it comes to food security/access, and therefore health. Our system is designed to promote terrible health and environmental outcomes for the sake of corporate bottom lines. That tweet is dumb though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I wonder if Stacy Mitchell can even grasp that many/most dollar store shoppers also shop at other stores?  You know, save money on the dollar store type stuff, buy veggies and meat at grocery stores.  (Of course that doesn't fit the dumb soundbite political memes that everything gets reduced to these days.)

I also wonder if she's Pauline Kael's daughter?  Whole Foods is considered expensive to most people and generally isn't convenient or even an option outside of major cities.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1