2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Astros taking advanced analytics to the extreme

Major League Baseball is aware of an incident at Fenway Park during Game 1 of the ALCS when a man who said he was an Astros employee was removed from a media area next to the Red Sox dugout.

A report by Metro said that Fenway Park security guard removed a man who was not credentialed but had a "small camera" and was sending text messages frequently. Another Astros employee tried to vouch for the man, Metro reported.

The Astros declined comment on the situation although A.J. Hinch said, "I'm aware of something going on but I haven't been briefed."

An MLB spokesman told the Boston Globe: "We are aware of the matter and it will be handled internally."

After Tuesday's game, Red Sox manager Alex Cora said he had just heard about the incident. He said he didn't have any indication that the Astros have stolen signs during the series, but said he's always cautious and his team changes signs frequently.

The man was allowed to remain at Fenway after being removed from the area next to the dugout, according to Metro.

I don’t mind AJ’s decision to go to Osuna in the 8th. Makes sense that you put your best reliever out there for the heart of their order and when the offense still has 6 outs at its disposal. Fully consistent with how he’s told the media he will handle the pen in the playoffs. 

I do mind him not pulling him earlier - at the very latest after he hits a batter to go down 4-2. 

I do mind him putting in Joe Smith. 

But, ultimately, we need Correa, Yuli and an outfielder not named Springer or Marwin to hit a fucking baseball hard, where the BoSox ain’t. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I don’t mind AJ’s decision to go to Osuna in the 8th. Makes sense that you put your best reliever out there for the heart of their order and when the offense still has 6 outs at its disposal. Fully consistent with how he’s told the media he will handle the pen in the playoffs. 

I do mind him not pulling him earlier - at the very latest after he hits a batter to go down 4-2. 

I do mind him putting in Joe Smith. 

But, ultimately, we need Correa, Yuli and an outfielder not named Springer or Marwin to hit a fucking baseball hard, where the BoSox ain’t. 

I agree with this. Some questionable bullpen moves, but you aren't going to win many games against the Red Sox by scoring only two runs. 

It was always unlikely that we would win all three at home. Take the next two and finish it off in Boston. 

Having to beat the Red Sox three out of four is daunting, but I still really like our chances. 

Charlie Fuckin' Morton against Rick Porcello is advantage Houston.  JV against Sale is advantage Houston, especially if Sale's not 100%.  A pissed off Gerrit Cole looking for redemption against David Price and his playoff futility is advantage Houston.  A game 7 on the road is still advantage Houston, because we've been there and won before, and all the pressure would be on them.

As long as we get it done tomorrow, we're in good shape.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Hey at least I shouted down an attempt in the club level down the LF line to get the wave going in the 8th inning

In hindsight, maybe the wave would have helped Osuna. After that performance, he seems like a guy that would like a good wave

Yeah man. This loss is 100% on you. An opportune wave right then would have calmed Osuna and lit a fire under our hitters the next inning. Hinch even commented on it in his post game interview. 

14 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah man. This loss is 100% on you. An opportune wave right then would have calmed Osuna and lit a fire under our hitters the next inning. Hinch even commented on it in his post game interview. 

Shep deserves some heat on not letting lilshep go yesterday.  School's going to be there next week, but keep this up and the Astros might not.

• Like 1

I wonder what is up with Osuna this season.  Besides that freak meltdown last night, he hasn't been nearly as good of a pitcher in 2018 as he was last season, and his K% in 2018 was the lowest of any of his MLB seasons.  It seems like a big part of it is him increasing his four-seam usage this season, as he has three offerings (cutter, slider, change) with a K% over 20%.  Odd given the fact that Astros typically reduce four-seam usage in the players they acquire.    

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Shep deserves some heat on not letting lilshep go yesterday.  School's going to be there next week, but keep this up and the Astros might not.

Going to try for tonight.  Easier to make a night game than 4pm. 

Yuli has to produce to win this series. CC, White, and catchers as well. Id volunteer to help with stealing signs and video work if they need it also 

1 minute ago, Jshep34 said:

Going to try for tonight.  Easier to make a night game than 4pm. 

Yuli has to produce to win this series. CC, White, and catchers as well. Id volunteer to help with stealing signs and video work if they need it also 

Please make it happen.  Remember, ain't nobody here to play school.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I wonder what is up with Osuna this season.  Besides that freak meltdown last night, he hasn't been nearly as good of a pitcher in 2018 as he was last season, and his K% in 2018 was the lowest of any of his MLB seasons.  It seems like a big part of it is him increasing his four-seam usage this season, as he has three offerings (cutter, slider, change) with a K% over 20%.  Odd given the fact that Astros typically reduce four-seam usage in the players they acquire.    

Everything I have read says that that they increase four-seamer usage for pitchers and 86 the two-seamer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Flip MarGo and Yuli.
Really prefer to leave Bregs at 3 and let springer and Tuve continue to set the table

This right here.  I hate to say it but every trip through the top of the order almost has to produce something.  Can't give outs away with Yuli slumping at the worst possible time.

Was at the game yesterday (made it on the big screen - woohoo) and it seems like the team is a bit lethargic.  Hopefully tonight the intensity will ramp up to meet the occasion.  CFM on the mound - time to win, bitches.

22 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Everything I have read says that that they increase four-seamer usage for pitchers and 86 the two-seamer.

It is true that when a pitcher throws both four-seam and two-seam they may increase four-seam usage and scrap the two-seam, with the net result being an overall decline in fastball usage  The point is to adjust the pitch mix to maximize SwStr% in order to maximize K%.  With Osuna he increased the usage of relatively low SwStr% pitch at the expense of other pitches that are better suited for generating whiffs.  

re: the cheating allegations, i went back to read that "nbcsports" article one more time, and i noticed it had been edited.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/10/16/report-astros-employee-accused-of-suspicious-behavior-throughout-postseason/amp/

i'm not gonna go back 7 pages, but literally the exact quote i posted (the one where i questioned whether an actual journalist wrote those words) has mysteriously disappeared from this latest version of the article.

f the haters.  let's fucking do this.

14 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I think Hinch is a very good manager.  I also think Cora is better.

Hinch's big moves have backfired this series, most notably his use of certain pitchers,  in addition to his inability to pull them when in trouble.   We would most likely have lost anyway last night because we can't get key hits.  Cora is pitching around our good hitters and forcing us to beat them with our scrubs.  It's working.   Altuve and Correa being banged up is not helping.  We can still win but we are going to need a win tonight and 2 brilliant performances by Verlander and Cole

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

not that it matters, but got my email notification about WS tickets. I didnt get selected. 

Me neither.  After getting picked for the first 2 rounds last year, I got shut out this year.  I wonder how many fewer tickets were available due to more season ticket sales and also how many more people entered the lottery this year.  In any case the bandwagon has definitely gotten more crowded.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Me neither.  After getting picked for the first 2 rounds last year, I got shut out this year.  I wonder how many fewer tickets were available due to more season ticket sales and also how many more people entered the lottery this year.  In any case the bandwagon has definitely gotten more crowded.

Could be worse. I didn't get tickets for any round over the last 2 years.