Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Does this look like a strong, quick, well conditioned team to you?

It’s not a quick offense because we give the slowest players on our team the most playing team in a slow developing offense. The offensive line has actually taken a step forward from last year, although that may just be experience.

The defense is actually pretty quick and looks conditioned. Well, except for when they put a 270 lb linebacker in space and expect him to cover a slot receiver instead of on the DL where we obviously need the help and have 0 sacks against Tulsa and Maryland.

3 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

damn. this team is not any good. how in the fuck did this happen?

Almost a decade of downright bad evaluations during recruiting, coupled with hubris and incompetence on the part of coaches. It can happen anywhere. Right now, it's happening here.

Just now, kevwun said:

The defense's biggest issue is loss of talent from last year.  It is perplexing why they don't stick Roach at DE though.

I would argue that the defense's biggest issue is that they are on the field too damned quickly, because the offense is so putrid. 

Edited by Walden Ponderer

I don't know, we seem to wilt in the 4th quarter and get pushed around in the trenches.  Of course that could be a result of bad coaching too, from not substituting and not properly teaching the fundamentals.

Or simply giving up and not giving a fuck. He may have lost the locker room already.

4 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

It’s painfully obvious these players are not going to war for this staff.

They are the result of a misguided head coach.

If you think we are confused after watching him at a press conference...imagine the shit he is trying to feed these kids in the locker room.

GTFO

Soooo... More kisses?

This game should make it completely clear that this is not on the players. There is no way in hell Tulsa has better players than Texas. This is completely and 100% on coaching. 
That said I still say are problems are still 100% at offensive scheme. Our offensive is so plain and slow to develop with the same 4-5 plays that it will never succeed.

Our defense IMO would be much better if they could play loose and didn't have to worry about our offense not being able to score.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The school in BCS proved you can money whip just about anyone.  Herman is completely lost.  Firing offensive coaches isn't gonna fix shit.  The best thing for the program is for us to have a really bad year that gives clear justification for firing Herman after 2 seasons.

Jimbo ran FSU into the ground and he knew it, he wanted out and aggy came calling with 75 mil, they could have had him for what Herman makes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This game should make it completely clear that this is not on the players. There is no way in hell Tulsa has better players than Texas. This is completely and 100% on coaching. 
That said I still say are problems are still 100% at offensive scheme. Our offensive is so plain and slow to develop with the same 4-5 plays that it will never succeed.

Our defense IMO would be much better if they could play loose and didn't have to worry about our offense not being able to score.

So, you're not happy with all the screen calls, when our players can't block for shit?

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

This situation reminds me of that story when the guy got his arm caught in rocks while mountain climbing. He could wait it out and maybe have a 5 percent chance of being saved or he could take out his pocket knife and painful cut his fucking arm off and have a 95 percent chance to survive.. That badass cut his arm clean off and lived... probably didnt even go back and look at his mensa arm. ever. . I bet he climbed mount Everest after that. maybe 2 or 3 times with a new arm. 

It's settled then.  Let's drink our own pee, chop off our arm and get this party started!  

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Jimbo won an NC prior to 'running it into the ground' which is equal to Mack Brown NCs and so far ahead of what Herman as accomplished there is no distance for a proper analogy.

Also he played the #2 ranked team in he country down to the wire and was closer to winning than we were against Maryland.

what the fuck are you babbling about, nothing you said has anything to do with what I posted.

Herman is doubling down big time, He isn't making offensive play caller changes and has circled the wagons around Beck, He isn't making changes at QB with Ehlinger when they are painfully obvious Shane at the least deserves a series or two.

When you are dealing with a Arrogant know it all this is what happens, You can't question him because he knows all and when things get tough he doesn't admit it he keeps doing the same thing hoping something will change so he can give a middle finger to everyone. 

I'm not saying I want a knee jerk decision maker that is all over the place but Beck needs to be gone last year and Ehlinger and Shane should be splitting time at QB. Ehlinger is not heads and shoulders better than shane and shouldn't be the only one taking snaps.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

I believe Herman is making a lot more of the play calling on offense than we are lead to believe.

Further, he had an open wallet to start his career at Texas and an entire off season to change his shit. Yet here we sit. Changing OC isn't going to help.

It would have helped had he got a real OC in before spring ball. Yes it would have helped, it's easy to say that now because we look horrible. The offensive philosophy isn't the issue its the calling of plays, making proper adjustments during the game and getting the right personnel on the field. Having a OC that doesn't step on his own Dick during every series by killing the momentum is hurting our offense way more than anything else. Ingram had only 10 carries when he should have had 20+, that is a personnel decision. Get the right guys on the field and play the best talent and quit having series where there is no plan just calling plays.

If we could just a get a new OC to takeover and design a whole new offense,  fire shitty assistants, call plays, handle all personnel decisions on offense and defense,  get a new dline, stop our DBs from getting burned, and steal away recruiting momentum from TAMU and OU, we'd be fine.  We're close people.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm pretty sure mensa called plays last night. He had a play sheet in his hand and the camera caught him a couple of times reading it and then speaking into the headset. I'm almost certain we're past the issues of Timothy Beck and are staring squarely at the real problem here. 

No one is sure of anything which is the bigger issue, If Herman has taken over AGAIN then why are we fucking paying a guy 800K? If we are doing everything as a coaching staff then fucking paycut him down to 250K and save some money. 

I think the biggest issue is Herman no doubt about it, but had we brought in a competent bad ass OC during the off season we wouldn't be looking this bad. When you have a guy up in the booth that can make on the fly adjustments and exploit a teams weakness it goes a long way.

Even in this shitfest we have Tre Watson, Ingram and even Daniel young averaging well over what is considered good in college football YPC. We are not running the ball enough and we are not running the ball enough with the right guys.

Ingram should get 20 carries, Watson 13-15, Young 8, Ehlinger 8. Everything we do should be run first to set up the pass. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

If we could just a get a new OC to takeover and design a whole new offense,  fire shitty assistants, call plays, handle all personnel decisions on offense and defense,  get a new dline, stop our DBs from getting burned, and steal away recruiting momentum from TAMU and OU, we'd be fine.  We're close people.  

If I may step in for a moment. Remember on the old board when I made the wandering in the desert comment and told you that the offense you were watching wouldn't work without an elite athlete at QB? How is that looking in the second year? There is no magic coach or elixir.

Edited by Thatguy

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The school in BCS proved you can money whip just about anyone.  Herman is completely lost.  Firing offensive coaches isn't gonna fix shit.  The best thing for the program is for us to have a really bad year that gives clear justification for firing Herman after 2 seasons.

Actually, I think the best thing would be for Herman to fall on his sword and resign at the end of the year. He won't but that would be the best.

Unless we completely implode and go 2-10, I think Herman will get 3 years. That's pretty standard, even for really bad coaches at top schools. It generally takes a scandal to fire a coach in 2 years, and we definitely do not want a scandal on our hands. 

It's incredibly rare to hire a college coach who has proven himself at the P5 level in a HC role. Basically, the only 2 active coaches with success at multiple top schools are Saban and Meyer. Michigan thought they had a slam dunk hire with Harbaugh and they have nothing to show for it. It's obviously tbd how guys like Chip Kelly and Jimbo Fisher pan out, but both of them had blemishes on their resume that are largely responsible for them being attainable by their current schools, and neither of them are a guarantee of future success. 

In all likelihood, Texas is gonna have to take a gamble on another coach from a smaller school (e.g. Scott Frost) or a coordinator from a big school (e.g. Kirby Smart). We aren't going to magically money whip Dabo Swinney from a program where he is actively successful and happy. Even guys like Gary Patterson or Mike Gundy are unlikely to leave their current roles where they have job security and fan appreciation for Texas where they will be forced to win quickly or get fired.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

This situation reminds me of that story when the guy got his arm caught in rocks while mountain climbing. He could wait it out and maybe have a 5 percent chance of being saved or he could take out his pocket knife and painful cut his fucking arm off and have a 95 percent chance to survive.. That badass cut his arm clean off and lived... probably didnt even go back and look at his mensa arm. ever. . I bet he climbed mount Everest after that. maybe 2 or 3 times with a new arm. 

CSB: I personally know that guy’s sister.  She was always upset because he got all of the attention in the family.  She finally did something successful and the the arm thing happened to her brother. 😂😬

• Like 1

Could somebody go back and pull some of Herman’s quotes from fall camp? The juxtaposition between those gushing quotes and the reality of the situation 2 short weeks later would be interesting. Either he actually believed the things he was saying (at which point it’s clear he doesn’t have a pulse on anything within his program) or he was feeding us the biggest load of shit we’ve seen in many years full of large loads of shit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Could somebody go back and pull some of Herman’s quotes from fall camp? The juxtaposition between those gushing quotes and the reality of the situation 2 short weeks later would be interesting. Either he actually believed the things he was saying (at which point it’s clear he doesn’t have a pulse on anything within his program) or he was feeding us the biggest load of shit we’ve seen in many years full of large loads of shit.

Well the OL last season was the best he's ever been a part of so...

Are any of our team captains even good players?

If they call a team-only meeting, I bet the younger, more talented players won’t even respond. I think we’re fucked, the locker room is fucked, and we have a coach who is not only clueless, but deluded. I could hear the nervous cracking in his voice during interviews. Aggy and OU are about to boat race us for the top recruits. OU has been on top with lower ranked classes than us.

If he doesn’t turn it around(very doubtful), it’s imperative that CDC fires him this December. Most college coaches can see that he’s a fraud and that the firing after year 2 would be justified. We have too many resources and advantages to be this bad. I’m a tiny worried that CDC will lose some of his hustle he had at TCU and just be happy to be at Texas. We shall see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Are any of our team captains even good players?

If they call a team-only meeting, I bet the younger, more talented players won’t even respond. I think we’re fucked, the locker room is fucked, and we have a coach who is not only clueless, but deluded. I could hear the nervous cracking in his voice during interviews. Aggy and OU are about to boat race us for the top recruits. OU has been on top with lower ranked classes than us.

If he doesn’t turn it around(very doubtful), it’s imperative that CDC fires him this December. Most college coaches can see that he’s a fraud and that the firing after year 2 would be justified. We have too many resources and advantages to be this bad. I’m a tiny worried that CDC will lose some of his hustle he had at TCU and just be happy to be at Texas. We shall see.

This

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic