Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

I dont know man.. im KINDA hoping we rip the band aid off and lose 4-5 more games.
Im fucked up I know.
Mensa broke me

Sadly this. Beat ou and finish the rest of the schedule 2-5, fire Tom and I’ll call this year a success. 

10 fucking years of “of course I want us to win, but if we lose we get rid of whatever asshole is coaching us this year!!”

At least Charlie was nice enough to suck so fucking bad we had to fire him after 3 years. This asshole is the definition of mediocrity 

Edited by Fletch

When Charlie was coaching, it felt like there was a collective sense of doom and nobody knew what the fuck was going on and we just “had to go out there and execute” for the next game.

Herman thinks since he’s Mensa, we’re all too stupid to understand the intricacies of why we keep losing, so he has to point it out by quoting literature and making reporters stand behind ropes for interviews.

I’m over it. And I’m over all the stat pumping with stupid facts about how Sam made history by being the first Texas QB to throw for x number of TDs/Yards on the second Saturday of the month when the heat index was below 100 degrees before 4PM on a less than 90% humidity day.

None of this statistical bullshit matters unless we win.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

#MensaTom's coaching style and repetitive bullshit about how he's going to improve the team have reached - and passed - the point of no return. He has demonstrated fully that he is not competent to build winning teams. From here on out, top-level recruits are going to go somewhere else. He's no Gary Patterson, so his teams are just going to get worse and worse as the recruiting results get worse. If we wait until the end of the season to shitcan his ass, we'll destroy the recruiting class, which in turn will make it even more difficult for the next HC, as it has the last two times. I understand the reluctance to hire Urban, but if we're not going to hire him because of Aaron Hernandez, Zach Smith and other not-so-high profile cases, we need to make that clear, publicly, right now, and accept that we're going to get worse instead of better. 

We lucked into getting the #1 recruit in 2022.  The best QB prospect in the last 10 years right up there with Trevor Lawrence.  We have an opportunity to pull in an elite recruiting class, but that is not going to happen with Tom Herman.  We just lost a borderline 5 star prospect and the most explosive player in our 2021 class.  For those that don’t follow recruiting, it’s not looking so good at the moment.  If Herman stays, expect this class to look like a transition class and you can bet that none of the top recruits in 2022 are going to jump on board a sinking ship.  If we don’t surround Ewers with talent, we will waste another elite talent.  

This is a simple decision.  It’s been 10 years of irrelevancy.  These recruits were 2 years old when we won the title.  We either make the easy decision and fire Tom and pay Urban whatever the fuck he wants... or we can accept that we will be a middle of the pack big 12 team that will win 7-8 games a year.  I’m not fucking okay with.  If you fucks are, go root for Nebraska or another blue blood that has walked this path.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hardly ever read the recruiting section, but I read the recent Billy Bowman news.  Someone commented in the thread that it didn't matter who we got, because they would come here and never live up to their potential anyways, and this hit me in my feelings.  Then I started thinking:  Who on this roster has shown normal progression or improvement since arriving on campus?  Cosmi was the first to come to mind, and maybe Kerstetter.  I thought maybe you could make an argument for Chris Brown, but not a strong one.  But I couldn't name another player that has gotten progressively better since showing up on campus.  And what do those 3 guys have in common?  They were 3-stars to low 4-stars with lower expectations.  Remember the flashes Sterns and Foster showed their freshman years?  Does Sam look significantly better today than he did against USC in his first start?   We're either recruiting high caliper players that are tapped out, or we are unable to develop those high caliper players.

Edited by Assman

Just now, Assman said:

I hardly ever read the recruiting section, but I read the recent Billy Bowman news.  Someone commented in the thread that it didn't matter who we got, because they would come here and never live up to their potential anyways, and this hit me in my feelings.  Then I started thinking:  Who on this roster has shown normal progression or improvement since arriving on campus?  Cosmi was the first to come to mind, and maybe Kerstetter.  I thought maybe you could make an argument for Chris Brown, but not a strong one.  But I couldn't name another player that has gotten progressively better since showing up on campus.  And what do those 3 guys have in common?  They were 3-stars to low 4-stars with lower expectations.  Remember the flashes Sterns and Foster showed their freshman years?  Does Sam look significantly any better today than he did against USC in his first start?   We're either recruiting high caliper players that are tapped out, or we are unable to develop those high caliper players.

I get where you are headed but Sam looks MUCH better than he did vs USC.. you might want to re-watch those highlights again

I get where you are headed but Sam looks MUCH better than he did vs USC.. you might want to re-watch those highlights again
I'm not say he doesn't look better. I just think he plateaued at some point his Soph or Jr year and hasnt developed since.

48 minutes ago, jinx said:

And to hell with the next coach too.  From what I've witnessed the last decade, he (or she) will suck too.

We have more $ than anyone else. We have our own network. Yet, we act like we are North Carolina State or Arizona. You shouldn't learn on the job at Texas. You shouldn't find your legs at Texas. You should be at the mountaintop before you are even considered. We didn't close in our pursuit of Saban. That was a failure in leadership. The same failures that have given us one title in the last half century. 

Will CDC close on Urban or Dabo? He must. He was brought here for no other purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Yeah fuck that guy as well. Might as well start raising his buyout $ now.

maybe we can give the next guy $15M, tell him not to hire any coaches, and then fire him in a week, so we can move on.  I'm willing to be the fall guy for that if necessary.

47 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We have more $ than anyone else. We have our own network. Yet, we act like we are North Carolina State or Arizona. You shouldn't learn on the job at Texas. You shouldn't find your legs at Texas. You should be at the mountaintop before you are even considered. We didn't close in our pursuit of Saban. That was a failure in leadership. The same failures that have given us one title in the last half century. 

Will CDC close on Urban or Dabo? He must. He was brought here for no other purpose. 

I would say we act more like we are Cal Berkeley.

• Hook 'Em 1

"All of these problems are fixable."

That's pretend accountability.  Being truly accountable is not acknowledging what the rest of the world already sees.  It is fixing the problems before they are displayed on national television and the way you do that is through coaching. 

Coaching football or any sport involves recognizing weaknesses in the opponent and exploiting them, while at the same time recognizing them in your own team and either fixing them or minimizing the impacts of them during the game.

He keeps saying everything is fixable......then quit talking about the labor pain and show us the baby.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The sad truth is he has 3 years left on his contract and he'll likely be here at least 2 probably all 3 years.  The BMD have been getting hit up right and left for facilities. Charlie isn't that far in the rear view mirror. I just don't see them opening their wallets this time around, in this current environment

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

The sad truth is he has 3 years left on his contract and he'll likely be here at least 2 probably all 3 years.  The BMD have been getting hit up right and left for facilities. Charlie isn't that far in the rear view mirror. I just don't see them opening their wallets this time around, in this current environment

That's not happening, he's either getting an extension next year or gone in next 18 months. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't think we fire Herman this year, but I do think this is the only name that could get him fired a year early. He's the only name that could get a consensus I would imagine.

I can't even think of a second choice honestly.

They need to hire Meyer for 5-7 years to fix every aspect of this program, build it into a self-sustaining machine, and let him pass it on to one of his assistants like he did with Ryan Day.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I can't even think of a second choice honestly.

They need to hire Meyer for 5-7 years to fix every aspect of this program, build it into a self-sustaining machine, and let him pass it on to one of his assistants like he did with Ryan Day.

I don't need a head coach in waiting. We'd be paying for Meyer. After that, we can pay for the next guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

TIFWIW but OB insider sua sponte is saying BMD's have reached out to Meyer.

I know you said TIFWIW  As much as I'd like to, I'm not sure I believe this.  That said getting bitchslapped by Tech and TCU(2 expected middling teams) right out of the gate has to have the BMD's in the "WTF" stage?  I am sure the Dallas guys are fucking with the Houston guys though.   "OK you fucked it all up, we'll handle it from here."

17 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't need a head coach in waiting. We'd be paying for Meyer. After that, we can pay for the next guy.

the inevitable heart condition or brain freeze will happen with Urban.  There won't any BS naming of a HCIW, though.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas