Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

You don’t see an issue with a new hire keeping both the top lieutenants of the old, failed regime? 

When Charlie brought Watson many/I knew it was a mistake.  When Tom brought Beck many/I knew it was a mistake.  If Urban comes and he keeps Yurcich i wouldn't have an issue.  

Just now, Xian said:

Look. I’m fine with it. Urban is a for sure upgrade.    If we do this I just want him to hire the best coaches out there.  Not his buddies that are already of staff to save a few bucks. 

Urban would be coming to win and that’s all that matters. He could take different coordinators and still win. He’s proven it multiple times

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

would he, though?  has he said he would?  or do you just think he’d take it. 

I think the fact he'd be replacing Herman makes it far more likely he'd take it. He is a big enough asshole that he would LOVE to come in and coach Herman's roster to a shitload more success.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Tom knows he is on the hot seat.  He is not gonna let the OC dictate that.  He's been calling plays and it shows.  Yurcich is a puppet.  

I haven't seen him on the sidelines with a play sheet unless I just didn't notice. He didn't look like a guy who was calling plays. 

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Shut the fuck up you jackass troll.

You're too sensitive. Ehlinger would be a great h-back. He simply doesn't have the talent to make pinpoint throws.

ISU beats OU. KSU beats OU. The only teams OU can beat is SW Missouri or whatever they call themselves these days and UT. Herman was dominating the kind of teams UT is losing to when he was at Houston. Now he is losing to teams with losing records. Did he forget how to coach or was he handed a bunch of entitled cry babies? He needs to get his own guys in there and eliminate the internal rot. The culture needs to be changed. If you can't see that then you are not looking very hard.

• Fuck You 9

16 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Tom knows he is on the hot seat.  He is not gonna let the OC dictate that.  He's been calling plays and it shows.  Yurcich is a puppet.  

Fan fiction about the play calling!  I've missed it.  Who gives a shit who's calling the plays?

You guys, Urban quit coaching, and it wasn’t because he couldn’t win at tOSU. If he didn’t have it in him to keep going there where the machine was already humming, why would he want to come try and fix a broken one? Would we really want him to? At least Herman wants to be a football coach. I’m not saying that’s a reason to keep Herman, but it is a requirement.

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Mister_X said:

You're too sensitive. Ehlinger would be a great h-back. He simply doesn't have the talent to make pinpoint throws.

ISU beats OU. KSU beats OU. The only teams OU can beat is SW Missouri or whatever they call themselves these days and UT. Herman was dominating the kind of teams UT is losing to when he was at Houston. Now he is losing to teams with losing records. Did he forget how to coach or was he handed a bunch of entitled cry babies? He needs to get his own guys in there and eliminate the internal rot. The culture needs to be changed. If you can't see that then you are not looking very hard.

hump love GIF by Cheezburger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

You guys, Urban quit coaching, and it wasn’t because he couldn’t win at tOSU. If he didn’t have it in him to keep going there where the machine was already humming, why would he want to come try and fix a broken one? Would we really want him to? At least Herman wants to be a football coach. I’m not saying that’s a reason to keep Herman, but it is a requirement.

Holy fucking shit. I know you were one of the last ones to realize Strong needed to go, but you have somehow come up with an even worse defense of a football coach than anything you came up with back then.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I was originally on the train that Herman would get a mulligan year due to Covid regardless of his W/L. It's pretty evident that he has no clue how to have a winning program here and entertaining another year is just a recipe for wasting even more time and resources. Again, all depends on donors being fine with parting with a massive amount of money to get rid of him. There is no more upside to Herman. He's losing recruits. He's not developing players. He's not winning incredibly winnable games. The downside of a bye is we have 2 weeks to stew on this loss. I'd much prefer another game next weekend, just to have something else to focus on. 

Another thing to stew is that Texas still has to play the 3 best teams in the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Using your logic tOSU should have never hired Urban, and won a national championship, as he "quit" UF.  

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Holy fucking shit. I know you were one of the last ones to realize Strong needed to go, but you have somehow come up with an even worse defense of a football coach than anything you came up with back then.

I’m not defending Herman, I’m saying I don’t think there’s any reason to think Urban is a realistic option and I would have to question whether his heart was in it (no pun intended) even if he took the job.

7 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Mister_X said:

Herman’s in Year 4. He has his own players in here. This is the culture and program he’s built, you dumbass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

Specialneeds.jpg

Actually I’m glad you posted that. I remember so many people defending Herman for these antics, saying he’s doing this for the players and buy in. Well here we are in 2020 and this guy with his immaturity, undisciplined nature and excuse culture has Texas no better and probably worse off. He fucking sucks. Maybe he’ll start screaming at Gundy for no reason again

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I was originally on the train that Herman would get a mulligan year due to Covid regardless of his W/L. It's pretty evident that he has no clue how to have a winning program here and entertaining another year is just a recipe for wasting even more time and resources. Again, all depends on donors being fine with parting with a massive amount of money to get rid of him. There is no more upside to Herman. He's losing recruits. He's not developing players. He's not winning incredibly winnable games. The downside of a bye is we have 2 weeks to stew on this loss. I'd much prefer another game next weekend, just to have something else to focus on. 

This is how I come at it. Mentally the players are shot. The pandemic, race relations, etc. have probably been managed by the players as best as they could. They have nothing to play for now, there's a failure stink around Herman being a lame duck. The players have all the more reason to throw in the towel and as a result Herman has officially lost the team. Question for the administration and boosters is how much can they raise and when does Herman's buyout drop enough to formally fire him and launch a "coaching search."

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Another thing to stew is that Texas still has to play the 3 best teams in the Big 12.

No telling how the math will shake out, but we probably need to win out to make the CCG. I don't think we are going to be able to do that. 

Splitting the rest of our games would put us at 4-5 in conference, and I'm not sure we can do that either. 

I’m not defending Herman, I’m saying I don’t think there’s any reason to think Urban is a realistic option and I would have to question whether his heart was in it (no pun intended) even if he took the job.

You realize he didn’t really leave OSU on his own, right? He left because of the Zach Smith fallout.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

How the fuck does Chris Brown continually celebrate giving up first downs while down 1-2 TDs and no coaches pull him aside and tear him a new one?  Our coaches are the softest pussies ever.  Herman is the same coach in year 4 that he was in year 1, 2 and 3...win close games, lose close games.  Undisciplined, stupid mental errors every game.  Horrible special teams.  Weakest OU sucks team in a long time and we can't even beat them with a senior QB.  Time to move on.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

You realize he didn’t really leave OSU on his own, right? He left because of the Zach Smith fallout.

And he really did not leave Florida cause he was ill...So are we putting winning over everything to get a coach who has basically left two schools because of off the field shit and the shit in Florida was not too far off from Briles level trash. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

More like Jesus Titty Fucking  Christ. 

1 minute ago, txbroadcaster said:

And he really did not leave Florida cause he was ill...So are we putting winning over everything to get a coach who has basically left two schools because of off the field shit and the shit in Florida was not too far off from Briles level trash. 

Yep fucking deal with it. 

• Like 1

This may be the most scathing article I have read so far on Herman
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Tom-Herman-hot-seat-Texas-football-loses-to-Oklahoma-152746952/Amp/

Some might deflect blame from Herman after this performance. He isn’t the one who fumbled on Texas’ opening possession. He isn’t the one who earned an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Oklahoma’s one-yard line. He isn’t the PUNTER who drew an unsportsmanlike penalty in his own territory in a tie game. He isn’t the field goal unit that surrendered a block in overtime.

He is, however, the coach who could have twice ended the game on his own terms by going for two against a tired, reeling Oklahoma defense. He is the coach whose team wasted a heroic six-touchdown effort by senior quarterback Sam Ehlinger. Herman’s team was undisciplined. Herman’s team played to lose. This loss falls at Herman’s feet.

This should’ve been the Longhorns’ year. Texas landed back-to-back-to-back Top 10 recruiting classes entering Herman’s fourth season. The Longhorns had Sam Ehlinger, a fourth-year, record-setting QB and 15 starters returning around him. There were no excuses but for Texas to take the next step.

Instead: Oklahoma 53, Texas 45

Instead: Gary Patterson won his third of four games against Tom Herman

Instead: Texas needed a botched onside kick recovery to escape Lubbock.

This Longhorn team should be 1-3. You could point to a dozen reasons for the subpar start. But on a day like today, it’s difficult to look anywhere but the coaching staff. That’s Herman’s hand-picked staff, by the way. He hit the reset button this offseason with seven new assistant coaches and two new coordinators. Herman played the get-out-of-jail free card highly-paid coaches seem to automatically receive.

Schemes changed. The preseason messaging changed a little. The on-field result? The same.

Texas ranked 112th in penalties Herman’s first season, 125th in his second and 109th in his third. This year? The Longhorns sat 67th out of 75 teams. Texas added 11 more to its ledger Saturday, costing the team at least 10 points.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman’s in Year 4. He has his own players in here. This is the culture and program he’s built, you dumbass. 

I will give you this that Herman underestimated the culture of defeat he was buying into. People like yourself are completely kneejerk and the lack of any worthwhile ideas make you want to see the coach fired.

They could fire Herman tomorrow and the same posters would be on here a year or two from now wanting the next coach fired. Until the culture is eradicated there will continue to be problems. Do you honestly think the problem is these coaches that have a history of success until they come to UT are the problem?

• Fuck You 13

Just now, The_Amazing_Mister_X said:

I will give you this that Herman underestimated the culture of defeat he was buying into. People like yourself are completely kneejerk and the lack of any worthwhile ideas make you want to see the coach fired.

They could fire Herman tomorrow and the same posters would be on here a year or two from now wanting the next coach fired. Until the culture is eradicated there will continue to be problems. Do you honestly think the problem is these coaches that have a history of success until they come to UT are the problem?

excited beach GIF

1 minute ago, txbroadcaster said:

That is s fine..be ready to "fucking deal" with the fallout when he gets "sick" again 

As long as he sets up the next coach like he did Ryan Day at OSU. Urban is being brought in to set up his hand picked successor. I don't think he will coach more than 5 -7 seasons before turning it over.

• Like 1

Amazing how many of us are sober. 

Going back to not seeing the open receivers, sometimes I wonder Herman's plan is make Sam into Superman. well it is not working and that sucks. Where is the running game? OL? Special Teams? 

Sam cannot do it all especially when he is not seeing the entire field. I love his heart, but that alone won't create a winning program. 

Fuck OU.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You guys know that Amazing Mr X troll is almost certainly that Houston/aggy kid that got doxxed a couple years ago, right? 

No I have nothing to do with Houston. I'm just sick of the piling on after a tough loss. It's always the same thing. fire the coach. The constant coaching change is the problem or most likely a symptom of the problem.

Even Ehlinger admits the problem.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30087370/texas-longhorns-tom-herman-sam-ehlinger-lament-mistakes-loss-oklahoma-sooners

Edited by The_Amazing_Mister_X
  • Fuck You 9

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas