Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve already said it, but Baylor has had all of 3 days to practice for this game. Texas has had 2 weeks. Add on top of that fact that Baylor sucks this year. 

Herman is a shitty coach. But he’s not shitty enough to lose to a terrible team with 3 days of practice. Anyone hoping for a loss will be sad on Saturday. You’ll get a 52 yard Dicker FG to win it as time expires, Herman and the Texas team erupting into jubilation like they accomplished something, and a @Michael Knight thread after calling the win & Herman’s coaching ability amazing, and like it. 

Herman has already lost to a Maryland team with no head coach.  That Maryland team had been through so much adversity losing a teammate, having a head coach fired, and having to learn a new system under Matt Canada all in one summer.  They came out and whooped our ass.  I believe that was the same game Herman decided to carb load our team with pizza during the mid game weather delay.

It would be no surprise if Herman lost to a barely functional Baylor team that had 3 days to practice and half the team out due to covid.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Lol. I know you are probably being facetious but Texas is an easier job than ND. I don't see Urban wanting the ND job.

Wasn't kidding...although I don't think it would happen with us trying to pull Kelly (not going to happen).. Urban's on record multiple times saying Notre Dame is a dream job. He also coached there for 4 years, lots of family in the area... son about to graduate and wants to also be a football coach.  It's certainly a possibility IF Kelly leaves for some reason. 

Herman is fired at halftime, Urban coaches from the Fox Studios and we win by 14.

The mullet takes the Texans job in fear of ever having to face Urban.

Lincoln Riley resigns and is found weeks later under a bridge.

Stoops is rehired setting us up for years of payback.

We get Wheaton and the Brocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Herman is fired at halftime, Urban coaches from the Fox Studios and we win by 14.

The mullet takes the Texans job in fear of ever having to face Urban.

Lincoln Riley resigns and is found weeks later under a bridge.

Stoops is rehired setting us up for years of payback.

We get Wheaton and the Brocks.

morgan freeman quote GIF

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

According to a podcast I listened to with a former UH player it appears once Herman knows he’s gone he completely quits on the team and disengages. 

I'm not assuming anything, but I really wonder where his head is at. Do you even want to keep the job if it feels like your boss doesn't want you? Conversations with CDC have probably been pretty awkward. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'm not assuming anything, but I really wonder where his head is at. Do you even want to keep the job if it feels like your boss doesn't want you? Conversations with CDC have probably been pretty awkward. 

Some people think it's all about them. See: Brown, William Mack

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Has to be a little like a GM in pro sports that inherits the previous GM's Head Coach - no matter how well he does you still would like to bring your own guy in.  Herman has to know he has no margin.   Winning out isn't feasible - so he knows hes gone.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I can never see myself rooting for the Longhorns to lose.

I can absolutely see myself being happy that they did. 

I remember watching the KU game in Chuckles' final season. At first, I was simply rolling my eyes that we weren't blowing them out and thinking "get the fuck on with it, let's go." Then, when it became clear that it was actually going to be a game, I was somewhat hysterical, like the laughing guy with the painted face on the Dr. Pepper commercials. Finally, with the loss, I just remember feeling total relief. I never cheered for the loss, but it wasn't a total nightmare even as a national embarrassment because it cemented Strong heading elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I'd take Kelly.   I saw him when he was the HC at Grand Valley State when they were winning their DII National Champs.   They played their semi final game down in Kingsville when TAMUK had their program still going as D2 power.  Kelly was coaching ( IE directing the players) almost on every play.   He whooped the Javs by 30 points that afternoon.

Checked around. It turns out on the Kelly thing that it wasn't "misdirection", but "miscommunication" instead.

I'm stunned. I'm pissed. It's Chip Kelly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Great question.

Things that we are apparently good with:

1. Hiring rape apologists as QC coaches.

2. Dealing with street agents trainers in recruiting

3. Pursuing a head coach who harbored/enabled a physically abusive, mentally unstable husband 

Things that we are apparently not good with:

1. The Eyes of Texas

2. Brain dead football teams

3. Arrogant, stubborn, narcissistic, incompetent coaches 

We should just say fuck it and hire Huge Freeze.

We're good with our mascot goring reporters who get in his way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember watching the KU game in Chuckles' final season. At first, I was simply rolling my eyes that we weren't blowing them out and thinking "get the fuck on with it, let's go." Then, when it became clear that it was actually going to be a game, I was somewhat hysterical, like the laughing guy with the painted face on the Dr. Pepper commercials. Finally, with the loss, I just remember feeling total relief. I never cheered for the loss, but it wasn't a total nightmare even as a national embarrassment because it cemented Strong heading elsewhere. 

Checked around. It turns out on the Kelly thing that it wasn't "misdirection", but "miscommunication" instead.

Chip Kelly????? not gonna happen no way GIF by THE NEXT STEP

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is it possible that it's a case of both? That Chip is misdirection, but we got Brian out of miscommunication?

I don't wanna believe...

Brian Kelly's been at ND for a decade.

- In the 2 instances when he was on a big national stage (granted, he at least got them there), his team was hammered. (National championship game and CFP semi.)

- Against top 25 teams, he is 20 - 20.

- Against top 10 teams, he is 3 - 11.

- And he stands on the sidelines and screams like a demented man.

(FYI - at a place like Houston, in 2 years, Tom FF Herman had as many wins against top 10 teams (3) as Kelly did in a decade at ND.  (Herman went 6 - 0 against top 25 teams, and 3 - 0 against top 10 teams.) Not saying I want Herman to stay.  But don't want Brian Kelly as a replacement.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not saying that couldn’t be true, but I am friends with one of the QC coaches and saw him yesterday. He said nothing about horrible practices. He said everyone is mad in a motivating sense and just wants to do whatever it takes to win.

I'm going to trust the equipment manager here more than someone on Herman's staff - no offense to your buddy. One has an agenda and one doesn't.

Longtime listener, first time caller.....love the show.

Question - if it gets bad enough that Herman is fired mid-season is hiring Urban to “oversee not coach” the rest of the season even a possibility? Would help with recruiting even if Ash or whoever is the interm HC for the rest of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Buck6920 said:

Longtime listener, first time caller.....love the show.

Question - if it gets bad enough that Herman is fired mid-season is hiring Urban to “oversee not coach” the rest of the season even a possibility? Would help with recruiting even if Ash or whoever is the interm HC for the rest of the season.

My guess is Ash or maybe Drayton would take over as interim, Urban gets announced at some point during the season that he will take over for 21, maybe even for the bowl game. But he would 100% be working behind the scenes, maybe not in an official capacity but still assembling a staff, making evaluations of the current staff, recruiting evals, player evals etc. At least thats what I have told myself.

Doubt he has any interest in taking over in a full capacity of any sort during this shit show, doesnt want to get off on the wrong foot in a dead season

But who's monitoring the message boards to keep tabs on Baylor injuries?
Michelle can multi task but she does have 3 kids....

Herb Hand hasn’t been doing much coaching OR recruiting. Maybe that’s what he’s up to? He’ll probably find a way to fuck that up too.

“Hey, according to the Baylor boards, we didn’t offer Charlie Brewer. Is that true? Don’t think i’ve heard that anywhere. No one seems to bring it up.”

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas