Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

It does seem to be following his career MO. Few will argue that he had shown that he was fully capable of assembling a quality team. It also has shown those nagging WTF loses that would crop up during a campaign. 

And here is what will rip your heart out. Let’s suppose Texas beats the shit out of every remaining team on he schedule by 20 points? That Maryland loss would in effect lay waste to what would otherwise be an indisputable playoff invite.

For all of that great football to be played, only to be left out of the festivities by a committee that will use that opening day loss against Texas. ESPN is essentially painting that exact scenario with its OP on the playoff selection process in their post game page. 

I disagree, a 1 loss big 12 Champion will get in. Not saying it’ll be Texas just yet but if there’s a 1 loss Big 12 winner theyll make it. Texas and OU are both huge draws

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I won't apologize for being critical after the Maryland game and his 7-7 start.

But I'll tip my cap for the amazing improvement over the last two weeks.  These kids are growing up fast.  The defense is salty.  We look a lot better.

Now we need to avoid a letdown in Manhattan and go into the RRS 4-1 and ranked.  Fuck ou.

No apology is in order. They have addressed most areas of criticism - leaving our best running backs on the sideline, our slow tempo offense, not utilizing Collin Johnson ect. - and now they are sustaining drives. 

It does seem to be following his career MO. Few will argue that he had shown that he was fully capable of assembling a quality team. It also has shown those nagging WTF loses that would crop up during a campaign. 
And here is what will rip your heart out. Let’s suppose Texas beats the shit out of every remaining team on he schedule by 20 points? That Maryland loss would in effect lay waste to what would otherwise be an indisputable playoff invite.
For all of that great football to be played, only to be left out of the festivities by a committee that will use that opening day loss against Texas. ESPN is essentially painting that exact scenario with its OP on the playoff selection process in their post game page. 

Eh I’m as pleased as anyone but maybe let’s just not shit the bed against Kansas State for the moment.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

You ever think maybe the fire tom heat actually got him to pull his head out and work double time to clean the maryland shit stain from his britches?

I wouldn’t put it that way. 

I do think he had to be shocked at the rage from the fans after losing to Maryland again and especially after looking ugly beating Tulsa. Fans were ready to burn the place down, and I don’t think he expected that.

Herman realized quickly that this isn’t somewhere that people are just happy to have a team like at the U of H and that Longhorn fans aren’t satisfied with being perennial losers like the aggies. We aren’t handing out $75MM contracts with no expectations or requirements. Only beating FCS teams will get a championship painted on the wall in college station, but it will get you fired in Austin. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I wouldn’t put it that way. 

I do think he had to be shocked at the rage from the fans after losing to Maryland again and especially after looking ugly beating Tulsa. Fans were ready to burn the place down, and I don’t think he expected that.

Herman realized quickly that this isn’t somewhere that people are just happy to have a team like at the U of H and that Longhorn fans aren’t satisfied with being perennial losers like the aggies. We aren’t handing out $75MM contracts with no expectations or requirements. Only beating FCS teams will get a championship painted on the wall in college station, but it will get you fired in Austin. 

he was also taking 9 years of vitriol that he was only responsible for 1 year and 1 game of

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think herman just might be the guy.  he's definitely had some mis-steps, but things are trending in the most positive direction they have for texas in a really long time.  

Let's get through the Kay State & Oklahoma games.  Not sure how any Longhorn fan doesn't have battered spouse syndrome by now but yes life is much better on 9/23 than it was 9 days ago

6 hours ago, Hamttx said:

It wouldn't. We'd be in. Early season losses have historically been overlooked, and Texas running off 12 straight wins against USC, TCU , OU, WVU, OkSt, then OU again would be more than enough. 

I'd estimate there is a > 99% chance this won't happen; but if it somehow did, Texas would certainly be in. 

14 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I won't apologize for being critical after the Maryland game and his 7-7 start.

But I'll tip my cap for the amazing improvement over the last two weeks.  These kids are growing up fast.  The defense is salty.  We look a lot better.

Now we need to avoid a letdown in Manhattan and go into the RRS 4-1 and ranked.  Fuck ou.

I'm legitimately curious if we did not game plan Maryland or Tulsa at all and spent those weeks planning and practicing for usc, tcu, etc.  Maybe naive, but it's hard to explain how much more prepared we've looked in these last two games vs the first two.

7 hours ago, okiehorn said:

I disagree, a 1 loss big 12 Champion will get in. Not saying it’ll be Texas just yet but if there’s a 1 loss Big 12 winner theyll make it. Texas and OU are both huge draws

If USC wins the South which is likely and Ut runs the table 1 loss UT gets in with no problem. 

See Ohio St the year they loss to VT. 

39 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm legitimately curious if we did not game plan Maryland or Tulsa at all and spent those weeks planning and practicing for usc, tcu, etc.  Maybe naive, but it's hard to explain how much more prepared we've looked in these last two games vs the first two.

If true, it is a hard earned lesson. 

Or should it be "hard learned". F it.

Edited by EastTexan

11 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Sometimes you have to call it what it is. We aren't the team to hang with the top 4 teams in the country. Not this year.
If we get any hardware or major bowl invites (and a win) then this is a phenomenally successful year. 

I predicted 8 wins, and I see that as the baseline.

6 hours ago, SomnambulantBrobdingnagian said:

he was also taking 9 years of vitriol that he was only responsible for 1 year and 1 game of

This is why the Fire Tom crowd ruffles my feathers a bit.

Mack had a loyal crowd to the bitter end long after it was clear he was phoning it in.
Charlie got a longer honeymoon than he deserved despite his foibles, follies, and miscues.
Tom has made his share of mistakes but its been an uphill run, too.

Maybe congeniality is a bigger factor for a lot of Texas fans than it is for me. 
Anyhow, we're 17 games into his tenure here and the improvement is there so I don't mind teasing the naysayers.

Edited by Disco Missile
I need more coffee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, 2.5 YPC against TCU, that’s pretty ineffective. What’s a benchmark for a decent rushing offense, 4 YPC?

Watson had 4.5 and Ingram had 4.8 ypc on 23 carries

younf had 1.1 and Ehlinger had 1.0 on 19 total carries

running with a serviceable to good RB and the running game is not that bad.  Would be nice for a few more really good RB recruits to take a look and realize how good this team could be if we had a stable of good running backs. 

4 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

This is why the Fire Tom crowd ruffles my feathers a bit.

Mack had a loyal crowd to the bitter end long after it was clear he was phoning it in.
Charlie got a longer honeymoon than he deserved despite his foibles, follies, and miscues.
Tom has made his share of mistakes but its been an uphill run, too.

Maybe congeniality is a bigger factor for a lot of Texas fans than it is for me. 
Anyhow, we're 17 games into his tenure here and the improvement is there so I don't mind teasing the naysayers.

This is trolling nonsense. Mack had detractors from day 1 ("I'm stunned, I'm pissed") and especially the Garrett Gilbert years. 

Charlie was swimming upstream from day one with big time boosters questioning the hire in public. He was fired after 3 years without any scandal, which is a much shorter honeymoon than major college coaches typically get.

Tom has been a condescending asshole who has failed to deliver on his bravado. The TCU win was quality, but USC is not good and Herman found himself in a dogfight against dogshit in the Tulsa game. And of course the inexcusable Maryland loss. Let's tap the brakes on anointing the  guy just yet.

16 hours ago, Hamttx said:

SinfulReasonableHyracotherium.gif

I liked the play calling for the most part.  The 4th and 1 toss sweep was a head scratcher.  And I thought we got too pass happy at late in 2nd / early 3rd.   But we took what they gave us.  They left their corner on an island with CJ most of the game and we made them pay for it with 8-100-1 or whatever he had.  They were bracketing LJH.  TCU is a damn good defense except at CB and that’s where we attacked them.  

The Maryland and Tulsa games were crap, and in retrospect, that's common with a lot of younger players.

Two weeks later, players are developing, showing talent, speed, and playing impressive 2nd halves to win.

We're seeing some star potential in C. Johnson, G. Johnson, Sterns, Humphrey. We haven't seen this talent level in years.

Paired with, he is recruiting nicely.

Now, let's not regress and shit the bed against the purple dullards.

24 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Watson had 4.5 and Ingram had 4.8 ypc on 23 carries

younf had 1.1 and Ehlinger had 1.0 on 19 total carries

running with a serviceable to good RB and the running game is not that bad.  Would be nice for a few more really good RB recruits to take a look and realize how good this team could be if we had a stable of good running backs. 

That makes sense. I saw the 2.5 yard stat and thought that the running game seemed  a lot better than that last night. Felt like there were a ton of 4 yard carries that were instrumental in extending drives. 

Weve a distinct lack of long runs this year for whatever reason.  A handful of 20+ yard carries usually bumps the yard per carry stat a bit. We’ve been getting our yards the hard way- 4 yards at a time. Seems like the holes still aren’t very big.

It's less the holes and more not having good backs.  Ingram is good, but he wasn't 100%, only had 8 carries, and got a hip pointer in the first half to boot.  Young and Watson could certainly be situational backs and effective, but we need another premier back to go with Ingram.  We need to start loading that position with real talent every year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Uh? Texas lead for the entire 4Q, and had a 7 minute drive that resulted in a TD that salted the game away. Never mind the 2 missed FGs that would have put the final margin at 21.

TCU failed to capitalize on their chances. They could’ve put it out of reach IMO. Luckily the D forced turnovers.

We lost 11 yards total on 4 consecutive drives in the middle of the game. Ridiculous calls on 3rd and short. We were unnecessarily conservative. 

8 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

TCU failed to capitalize on their chances. They could’ve put it out of reach IMO. Luckily the D forced turnovers.

We lost 11 yards total on 4 consecutive drives in the middle of the game. Ridiculous calls on 3rd and short. We were unnecessarily conservative. 

Texas failed to capitalize as well, it's what happens when you play very good defenses. Texas lead for the majority of the game, and salted the game away with a 6 minute drive that put them up 2 scores in the 4Q.

Texas wasn't unnecessarily conservative. They should protect the offense with the defense, because they have a great one that is full of experienced upperclassmen and a once in a generation true freshmen safety. The OL is starting to gel, but it's still average talent-wise across the board. The QB just started his 10th game. The best RB is hurt, though it appears the WRs have turned a big corner and are becoming more consistent especially their downfield blocking.

You are also including the drive where Texas took a knee before half in your analysis, lulz.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Amazingly, TCU beat the shit out of us several years in a row when we turned the ball over like that. Funny how that makes the difference in games. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

12 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Amazingly, TCU beat the shit out of us several years in a row when we turned the ball over like that. Funny how that makes the difference in games. 

HA, no shit. I love when people  go out of their way to find negative out of a positive. I will never understand those that just can't enjoy the result of their favorite team and instead must find something to complain about. 

Sure as hell not a way that I want to go through life. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Yes, there was still some head-scratching playcalling at times.  But Jesus, we beat TCU 31-16, and you're making it sound like that was some kind of fluke.  We earned that shit.

I was definitely in the Fire Herman in 3 years camp because how unmotivated we looked in games 1 and 2, plus his pompous pressers. Hope he’s starting to turn the corner. Beck will need to be demoted at the end of the season though.

Good wins vs USC and TCU. Now, gotta keep building the confidence with wins. Young team so I expect a tough K-State game next week. We need to keep the momentum going into the Red River Shootout.

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac unfeatured this topic