Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

16 hours ago, ruitxn said:
16 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don’t really understand this. If he’s pain-free enough to come in in relief then he’ll be starting the game.

Agree.  Only issue pain free or pain tolerent 

This isn't exactly right.  The real question will be whether he has the potential to further injure/worsen his shoulder in the game. 

The AC joint sprain is the same injury Sam Bradford had back in 2009.  Bradford sat out for five weeks (came back for limited time against Baylor the week before playing UT).  In the game against UT, he was sacked, fell on his previously-injured shoulder and was lost for the rest of the year.

Gotta think the staff will be cognizant and careful not to rush him back, so that Sam won't reinjure his.

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This isn't exactly right.  The real question will be whether he has the potential to further injure/worsen his shoulder in the game. 

The AC joint sprain is the same injury Sam Bradford had back in 2009.  Bradford sat out for five weeks (came back for limited time against Baylor the week before playing UT).  In the game against UT, he was sacked, fell on his previously-injured shoulder and was lost for the rest of the year.

Gotta think the staff will be cognizant and careful not to rush him back, so that Sam won't reinjure his.

Was Bradford’s a level 1 sprain as well? 

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Bradford had a full tear if I recall correctly.

6 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Was Bradford’s a level 1 sprain as well?  

I can't find anything specific from back then about the level.  But it was just a sprain, and Stoops (after the BYU game) said he expected Bradford back in "2-4 weeks".

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2009/9/6/1017877/sprained-ac-joint-has-bradford

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Bradford had a full tear if I recall correctly.

Read my original post.  Bradford suffered an AC joint sprain against BYU.  He sat out four weeks, before getting reinjured against Texas.  His full tear occurred when Aaron Williams smoked him.

4 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I don’t really remember Aaron Williams “smoking” him. I thought Williams just tackled him low and Bradford fell on to his right shoulder. I might be wrong though.

Pretty nice little hit.  Not dirty or ugly or anything.  But Williams brings him down hard on the shoulder, for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I don’t think you recover from a shoulder sprain in two weeks, no matter the “grade”. I hope I’m wrong, but I think Shane starts in Stilly. 

But he's not been wearing a sling so I don't know if it's even really a grade I. 

Bob Stoops believed  star power would overcome medical fact. He sent Adrian Peterson out against Texas when Peterson was struggling to jog in a straight line. He only had a "sore ankle". Sam could have had full on damage to his shoulder and Stoops would have delighted in telling everyone it was just "sore".

Now, there's no such thing as a "typical" injury when it involves a complex joint like the shoulder or ankle. The physics and unpredictability of college football mean that any tackle, run, or jostle could cause weight to land on the affected bone or joint. However, Sam didn't pull himself out of the game. He was still throwing when the officials made him exit due to blood.

I'm sure the starting QB at the University of Texas got every CT, MRI, ADB (I made that last one up) available. They won't risk long term damage. If Sam is pain tolerant, even with injections, he's your man. We play every game to win, at all times, with the best option we have.

I already said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again.  I just got over this exact same injury (grade 1 sprain), and it is stupidly easy to reinjure and requires more than 2 weeks to fully recover/heal.  Herman would be rolling the dice on the entire season to rush him back too soon.  Sit Sam, start Shane, have Rising ready, and pray really fucking hard.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I already said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again.  I just got over this exact same injury (grade 1 sprain), and it is stupidly easy to reinjure and requires more than 2 weeks to fully recover/heal.  Herman would be rolling the dice on the entire season to rush him back too soon.  Sit Sam, start Shane, have Rising ready, and pray really fucking hard.  

You’re a fat, middle-aged dude, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I don't know fuck about shoulder sprains, but I do know it's in Mensa's interest to force Gundy to plan for both QB's.  Unless one yall is blowing the trainer, we don't know shit and won't until game time.

Pretty sure if they can prepare for Ehlinger they'll be prepared for Shane, Sun Tzu. 

What does Shane even make you "plan" for? Having good field position the entire game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In theory, shane's the better passer.  You don't need a spy to deal with the threat of a qb run, plus the Texas running game is much more potent with Sam in.  If you know it's gonna be Shane, you spend your whole week working on your pass defense.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1