aggy Passes UT as #1 Most Valuable CFB Program

phdhorn

6 hours ago, TtomTerrific said:

their accountants, much like the construction contractors, had ONE mission...."make it biggern' the sips"

no way their reporting is legit, they admit as such and don't fucking care.

as long as some publication somewhere puts aggy on a list ahead of Texas, their work is done.   It's all "good bull."

They got caught a few years back similarly cooking the academic reporting records, a scandal that would have embarrassed any other institution of higher learning to no end and resulted in people losing their careers, but not these assholes...

So, their numbers are just trumped up exaggerations....is that what you're saying?  

51 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Posting again for you, gemba, so you can cry about it some more.  Lulz.  You're just mad because you know I'm right, that aggys are a bunch of lying bags of shit.

Aggy should follow the model of West Point and have some kind of honor code, like this one perhaps:

Cadet_Honor_Code.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have noticed I get more and more links to forbes.com for sort of "freakonomics" type things.  Quantifications or monetizations of things you don't normally associate with financial markets, for example.  And I have found that those articles aren't usually as rigorous as I (used to anyway) expect from Forbes.

This would be an example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Haha, yep. Not that it matters much, and my memory is pretty foggy when it comes to the finances surrounding their program when they moved, when they fired Sumlin, but aren't they in all kinds of crazy debt? I guess that doesn't figure into this calculation.

Y'all forgetting all that Hurricane Harvey money John Sharp is bringing in. 

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And how does somebody writing for Forbes get away with using a questionable set of numbers for "Revenue" and "Profit" and equate them with a valuation?  Since when did Forbes start serving up pablum for the financially illiterate?

ALL journalist have become lazy, they literally just reword other articles and re-post their shit on all the different news sites. They don't get paid for good research and originality, they get paid for clicks.

25 minutes ago, Frank Gallagher said:

Who gives a shit?  Win football agmes

I get a lot more pissed when we lose out on a recruit to Stanford than to aggy or OU. Any kid that chooses aggy over UT is either a serious redneck, or has shit for brains. The ones who pick OU go there because the school cares far more about football than academics. The ones that pick Stanford over UT are always ones we wish we had landed.

I don't to just win football or baseball games. I want to both elevate athletics and academics. And by "elevate" I mean dominate.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I get a lot more pissed when we lose out on a recruit to Stanford than to aggy or OU. Any kid that chooses aggy over UT is either a serious redneck, or has shit for brains. The ones who pick OU go there because the school cares far more about football than academics. The ones that pick Stanford over UT are always ones we wish we had landed.

I don't to just win football or baseball games. I want to both elevate athletics and academics. And by "elevate" I mean dominate.

On the other hand, I'm happy for a kid that goes to Stanford.  It's a great school.  I'm just sad for the poor suckers who choose a&m or ou when they could have done better.

32 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And how does somebody writing for Forbes get away with using a questionable set of numbers for "Revenue" and "Profit" and equate them with a valuation?  Since when did Forbes start serving up pablum for the financially illiterate?

You... haven't read Forbes in a while, have you?

As an aside, I don't think I've ever seen a thread owned as hard as @Randolph Duke is owning this one.

5 hours ago, Yama Yak Yachtzi said:

Joel Klatt just busted this myth up on the Colin Cowherd show. Said what we all know. The donations have inflated their value. 1:30 mark for whoever wants to post later.

Which one of you is klatt?  Not me, but I know you're on here.  Sorry we ruined your career, you seem like a level headed dude, and I like your broadcasts.  

4 hours ago, wood said:

This right here tells you all you need to know about how the U.S. Armed Forces view aggy's military component. The U.S. Army has always been the branch aggy most closely tries to identify with, and even they chose Austin over aggy. Lulz.

I always thought they were trying to be psuedo-Marines with their swords and scabbards and all that shit

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

This x 1000.

Everybody needs to chill out (not just this thread but game threads, recruiting threads, etc.).  They had a single close game with a good team.  They built a facility that is new, sure, but widely derided as a piece of shit.  They paid a ton of money for a questionable coach.  They won a handful of recruiting battles based on the last two factors.

They are going 7-5 this year at best.  Their recruits aren't going to like that.  IMO, Jimbo is going to continue to be an average coach who can make it when he gets stud players and the stars align.  They aren't going to magically re-upgrade facilities.

Like OKST and T Pickens they have a few diamonds-in-the-rough donors who can write huge checks.  What they don't have is an army of upper income well educated donors they can draw from.  Once those handful of donors driving this process get tired of not getting better, die, or go broke all this fundraising and flashy shit is over.

Meanwhile all we need to do is just have a fucking decent season and we are back on track. 

I don’t care about the revenue number or our position on a list that isn’t the end-of-season national rankings much less how they compare to A&M.

What does piss me off is the strategic mismanagement of the program that has us looking at an indefinite stretch of shitty football.

21 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Oh, and in the last article that talks about the 2006 initial loan of $16 million coming from "investment earnings" (which is bullshit, it was money that otherwise would have been spent on educating the stupid little rednecks,), here is the snapshot from their 2016 NCAA financials that shows the actual amount of TAMU College Station's endowment:

https://imgur.com/xJEpKh3

Notice carefully and you will see their actual athletics endowments are barely $1 mil. Not nearly enough to generate $16 million in loan proceeds. Their actual endowment for the entire university is just over $400 mil. At a 5% payout, the $16 mil loan was 80% of the entire university's endowment income if the loan had been made in 2016.

But wait, there's more....

Look just below line 55 where they disclose the institutional endowment for 2015 - $259 million. Yep, aggy has added to their school's endowment lately. When UT was raising $3.3B, aggy raised $150 mil for academic endowments. Yay aggy!

Take a 5% payout from the $259 mil figure, which would be the entirety of TAMU"s 2015 "institutional investment earnings," and tell me if you arrive at a figure more, or less, than $16 mil.

Yep. They lied about where the money came from. It wasn't from "investment earnings." It was from money intended for academics.

Liars can figure, but figures don't lie. Code of Honor. Whoop!

For sake of clarity, is the UTIMCO AUF payment what they are calling "investment earnings"?

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

For sake of clarity, is the UTIMCO AUF payment what they are calling "investment earnings"?

I’m not sure what they are calling “investment earnings,” but it wasn’t earnings on the privately funded university endowment. Not unless they had a damned good year and used the entirety of the income generated by their endowment, instead of taking the amount set for maintenance of the long term protection of the endowment, which is generally around 5% (I think the BOR is currently using 5.25% for the PUF distribution to the AUF).

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Hmm, aggy busted for lying.  Yet again.

Battered aggy syndrome runs so deep in their culture they lie to themselves on a constant basis. They need to convince themselves they are "just like Texas'" so they do stupid shit like lie about the school's endowment.

TAMU main campus has a reported privately endowment of just over $400 million, up from $259 million in 2015. UT Austin's privately funded endowments total $4 billion. UTD, UTSA, UTMB, etc, all have separate privately funded endowments. The PUF constitutes the publicly funded endowment of the UT system. Under Regents Rule 80303, UT Austin receives about 1/3 of all AUF distributions. The non-Austin components of the UT system get 1/3, and the TAMU system gets 1/3. None of the AUF distributions are dedicated directly to TAMU main campus, even though TAMU main campus claims all the TAMU system's AUF distribution are exclusively theirs.

When you have an alumni base that has only given $400 million over almost 145 years, you have an alumni base that doesn't believe in education enough to support the university's academics. It is that plain and simple. TCU's privately funded endowment was about four times that of TAMU main campus so please, spare me the "small military college" crap.

The aggy education has long been more about vocational training and training of middle level professionals In addition to $10k privately funded tuition at each school, public funds (fed and state appropriations, and institutional money) dedicated to each full-time student at UT are about $43k. At A&M, that figure is less than $20k/yr. That UT students are supported by more than double the public funds as students at A&M is indicative of the fact UT students are educated to a different standard. If the standards at UT and A&M were indistinguishable, the public funding per student would be nearly identical. Remember, A&M pays its professors, on average, less than U of H pays theirs. That is for both full professors and associate professors.

Most aggys do not understand the facts regarding the quality of education at A&M vs that at UT. Those responsible for appropriating public funds to the two institutions knew the facts very well. Which is why they fund UT at more than twice the level of A&M.

The ags can claim whatever they want, but until they start supporting the academic mission of their school with billions in additional privately funded endowment funds, their school will continue to provide an educational experience far inferior to that offered at UT Austin.

• Like 2

Here are the hard numbers on the UT and A&M at a system level (cross post from the &M thread):

Someone hit me with a PM and was asking about UT system finances. I pulled the latest financials filed in connection with the outstanding debt of each system, not just the flagship campuses.

TAMU has total assets (buildings, real estate, etc) of $14.0B and total liabilities of $7.8B. The net worth of all assets of the TAMU system is $6.13B

The UT System has $72.3B in total assets, $17.3B in total liabilities. The net worth of the assets of the UT System is $44.8B.

Now do you see why I keep saying the two organizations are not comparable?

UT system financial statements:

https://emma.msrb.org/ES1106926-ES865256-ES1266364.pdf

TAMU system financial statements:

https://emma.msrb.org/ES1108045-ES866255-ES1267427.pdf

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

George Kozmetzky was a former GI who used his GI Bill benefits after WWII to go to Harvard Business School. Afterward, he worked for Howard Hughes at Hughes Aircraft as a computer geek and then founded Teledyne. In the 1970s, he was dean of UT's business school and pushed the university into the computer age. Kozmetzky worked with Bobby Inman to build UT's computer science program. Inman was a guy who served as Director of Naval Intelligence, the #2 at the Defense Intelligence Agency, Director of NSA, and #2 at CIA. In the early 1980s, Inman used his connections to bring MCC to Austin. MCC lead to Sematech. And from that sprung the technology industry that is currently driving the Austin economy.

Which was why it was the "Kozmetsky school of biz" until Red flopped his nuts onto the table to the tune of a $50M (I think?  I may be off here) check to change the name.  

Cool story brah time:  Went to HS @ McCallum with Daniel K (grandson).  We used to party at grand-pappies place in T-town at their mansion.  Hunt their unbelievable managed ranch (which Daniel works at now, I believe after he was into coaching).  Daniel was a little wild back then.  Run through multiple vehicles.  Dodged all kids of legal issues (mainly driving related).  But he got in, passed, has his degree, always posting on FB with his little ones @ the games.  

On 9/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, Randolph Duke said:

Unless you have a definition of "earning" other than operating revenue, aggy didn' "out earn" UT during Charlie's tenure. The entire boost in aggy finances has been driven by their capital campaign that people are claiming to be revenue. If you have ever invested in a company, you should be able to understand the difference between operating revenue and capital contributions. A lot of sportswriters don't understand the difference. Which is why articles such as the Forbes article get published.

In 2011, A&M had no outdoor track facility because theirs had been condemned in 2004 as a safety hazard. Their football stadium, built the same year as The Big House, was in such a dilapidated state that the fire marshal had declared the electrical a safety hazard, the plumbing was barely functional and they couldn't light the sign on the exterior that said "Kyle Field."

They borrowed $350 million, and had alumni donate $285 million to finally, at long last, do something about their infrastructure. Programs such as Michigan and Texas have consistent revenue to maintain facilities. Second tier programs, such as Texas A&M, have to let their facilities degrade to the point of being condemned, and then cash in on their once-in-20-year "resurgence" to generate money to catch up. The ability to maintain facilities at a high level, and the inability to keep facilities from being condemned differentiates top tier and second tier programs. Think back to when any UT athletics facility has ever been condemned as a safety hazard. Imagine have multiple facilities on campus condemned as safety hazards. In that thought, you will understand the difference between UT and A&M.

As an aside, their new outdoor track facility has a maximum capacity of 3,500. The state high school track meet regularly draws 20,000. It is held at UT because UT is the only school in the state with the finances to afford facilities sufficient to host the meet.

Yes, aggy has finally done something about their dilapidated facilities. They have borrowed a lot of money to do it. From their alumni they raised less than Oregon or Oklahoma State did for their facilities projects. aggy spent so much on their football project, they were left without funds to build a proper track facility. They still can't afford to repay the loans they have owed their academic side since 2006. They didn't generate enough operating revenue to cover expenses in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 or 2017. Ask aggy about considering sending an 8-figure check from athletics to academics even once, let alone every year, and they will cough up a badly squeezed testicle.

And they call that "redneck riches."

Congratulations, aggy. You have reached the pinnacle.

Maybe now they will start trying to find the money to get their indoor plumbing fully functional. Because, you know, indoor plumbing isn't something everyone is used to, but must of us who aren't aggy are kind of used to it.

So if I am understanding correctly, this would that also make 2016 inaccurate as well, as it too was based on donations and not actual earned revenues...

Stadium donations push Texas A&M past Texas to top of NCAA ...

Apr 18, 2016 - The Texas A&M Aggies led the Texas Longhorns and everyone else in ... Revenue sources include tickets, donations, licensing agreements, ...

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Here are the hard numbers on the UT and A&M at a system level (cross post from the &M thread):

Someone hit me with a PM and was asking about UT system finances. I pulled the latest financials filed in connection with the outstanding debt of each system, not just the flagship campuses.

TAMU has total assets (buildings, real estate, etc) of $14.0B and total liabilities of $7.8B. The net worth of all assets of the TAMU system is $6.13B

The UT System has $72.3B in total assets, $17.3B in total liabilities. The net worth of the assets of the UT System is $44.8B.

Now do you see why I keep saying the two organizations are not comparable?

UT system financial statements:

https://emma.msrb.org/ES1106926-ES865256-ES1266364.pdf

TAMU system financial statements:

https://emma.msrb.org/ES1108045-ES866255-ES1267427.pdf

When aggy gets puffed up about a financial report and RD shows up with actual financials showing UT @ >700% the value of aggy:

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

When aggy gets puffed up about a financial report and RD shows up with actual financials showing UT @ >700% the value of aggy

When I get back from vacation I will have to do some research on the other major systems around the nation to figure out just what aggy is the flagship of relative to the other major systems around the country. Not many pirogues used as flagships outside of little kids playing fake military.