Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Was dragged to a rock concert last night in Austin (Rise Against). The crowd was mostly young weirdos. The singer didn't mention Beto by name, but he did stop to make a plea to get Ted Cruz out. Some cheered but most people had no idea what he was talking about. SMH. I did see a couple Beto shirts though.

Edited by thepop

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I've seen Ted Cruz give reasons why you should vote against Beto.  I've seen Ted Cruz give reasons why you should vote Republican/against Democrats.  But has Ted Cruz given a single reason why you should vote FOR Ted Cruz?

All we need is a #ImWithTed slogan to complete the trifecta. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I've seen Ted Cruz give reasons why you should vote against Beto.  I've seen Ted Cruz give reasons why you should vote Republican/against Democrats.  But has Ted Cruz given a single reason why you should vote FOR Ted Cruz?

Team Cruz has to know that voting FOR Cruz is his weak point.   He has done very little for Texas given that he has alienated the entire GOP leadership.    Even Texas Dems have to admit that Cornyn has the ability to help Texas as part of the Senate leadership whereas Cruz can't do much.  Cruz can make headlines but not initiate a new law.

8 minutes ago, thepop said:

Was dragged to a rock concert last night in Austin (Rise Against). The crowd was mostly young weirdos. The singer didn't mention Beto by name, but he did stop to make a plea to get Ted Cruz out. Some cheered but most people had no idea what he was talking about. SMH. I did see a couple Beto shirts though.

Lol, yeah, Rise Against is pretty political, but very positive about it all.  I like em.  Guess that makes me a young weirdo.

24 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Team Cruz has to know that voting FOR Cruz is his weak point.   He has done very little for Texas given that he has alienated the entire GOP leadership.    Even Texas Dems have to admit that Cornyn has the ability to help Texas as part of the Senate leadership whereas Cruz can't do much.  Cruz can make headlines but not initiate a new law.

To me it comes down to what are the fighting for and the messaging couldn't be more distinct.

Beto's message comes off as fighting for all Texans. Vote for me, so i can help you.

Cruz's message comes off as fighting for his job and his political clout. Vote for me, so I can continue to help myself.

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:
True or false:
1. A significant amount of voters for Beto will think he’s Hispanic?
2. His campaign is aware of that and taking advantage?

No. A significant amount of voters won't think he's Hispanic. His last name is O'Rourke. People associate surnames with ethnicity more than first names or nicknames. I know this because I'm Hispanic with a white last name.

One of the great South American liberators was named Bernardo O'Higgins. 

Where did you see that Crosswind is affiliated with Rasmussen?

I saw it classified as a Rasmussen/pulse opinion research poll on the list of polls for the race on 538 (just the one I check to view all polls since it's typically updated pretty fast).

Looking into it, I think they may have it misclsssified - Crosswind doesn't lost any rasmussen affiliation of their site or anything but they call their poll the Texas pulse.

Maybe there's something there behind the scenes, but sorry if that ends up being wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thepop said:

538 is also supposedly releasing their senate forecast today. Here is their house forecast FYI:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/

let's say this election ends up on the right side of that graph.  what would we do about polls then?  like if the Ds only pick up 5 seats or something.  fall 2020 would be bonkers with everyone claiming they were secretly in the lead in whatever race.

6 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Uh oh, the neighborhood Facebook page is starting to get pretty nasty. Both sides are pushing their respective signs. 

Neighborhoods have Facebook pages now?  I can't decide if this is a great idea I should implement or a horrible idea I should avoid like the plague.   Leaning horrible. 

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Neighborhoods have Facebook pages now?  I can't decide if this is a great idea I should implement or a horrible idea I should avoid like the plague.   Leaning horrible. 

Avoid at all costs.  Nothing has made my lose more faith in humanity than my neighborhood Facebook page.   Even worse is the "community" I joined by installing a Ring doorbell.  A dozen videos every day of solicitors coming to people's door with the caption "DOES ANY1 KNOW THIS MAN?!  SEEMS SUSPISHUS!"

Edited by Chuckie Finster

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly.  From all evidence Beto has gone by Beto since day 1. Whereas we know Ted went by Felito.   Felito Cruz ain’t winning the GOP primary so I don’t blame him for changing his name.   But I guess Cruz supporters like typing out Robert Francis ORourke.

Those stupid cunts pulled the same childish shit witb Barak Hussein Obama.

I'd hate to meet the mouth breathing droolers who parrot that shit 

https://www.tribtalk.org/2018/09/12/beto-orourke-can-save-the-gop/

Interesting article from the Trib.  Paragraph 1-

You work for who pays you. It’s a fact of life. Every member of Congress pledges to look out for your interests, but when they clock in on Capitol Hill, they work for who pays them — and that’s not you and me. Texas values will only be represented in Congress when Congress actually represents Texans, and Beto O’Rourke is showing Texas how that’s done as he runs for the U.S. Senate. That’s why electing a progressive Democrat is Republicans’ best long-term hope for a conservative Congress.

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

George Herbert Walker Bush. Sounds kinda French to me, amirite, 'Murka?

You know what's interesting?  The quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons is Bobby Hebert. No "r" which I find fascinating. You know it's Herbert h-e-r-b-e-r-t, Hebert h-e-b-e-r-t. "Hebert" it's a fun name to pronounce. Try and say it.  Hebert. Take a shot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

let's say this election ends up on the right side of that graph.  what would we do about polls then?  like if the Ds only pick up 5 seats or something.  fall 2020 would be bonkers with everyone claiming they were secretly in the lead in whatever race.

I don't understand the opinion that says the polls were wrong in 2016 and now in 2018.   Did many polls show that HRC was going to win?  Yes but they had it extremely close and within the range that Trump could win.  I think of the 2016 polls like the weatherman saying it is going to be 96 today but it actually ended up at 98.  Some seem to treat it like the weatherman predicted 96 but the high only got to 40.

538 says that their current analysis (as of Sept 12th) is that the GOP has a 1 in 6 chance of retaining the House.    While not good for the GOP, that isn't in the longshot or impossible range.

Personally I think the polls do under report the GOP voters because some voters are ashamed to say they are voting GOP, and therefore supportive of Trump.  Even to an anonymous pollster on the phone, they don't want to say they support Trump.  The pollsters are accurately reporting their results but I think the people being polled are lying to some extent.

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

You know what's interesting?  The quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons is Bobby Hebert. No "r" which I find fascinating. You know it's Herbert h-e-r-b-e-r-t, Hebert h-e-b-e-r-t. "Hebert" it's a fun name to pronounce. Try and say it.  Hebert. Take a shot.

Abear, coozan. I am about 1/164th coonass. And my grandmother is from Beaumont, which drops me down to about a quarter. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

There are small business owners that provide useful services, if I should ever need it, so that’s great. There are also people that post about scary Amazon delivery guys, it’s a bit of a mixed bag I guess. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

There are small business owners that provide useful services, if I should ever need it, so that’s great. There are also people that post about scary Amazon delivery guys, it’s a bit of a mixed bag I guess. 

my all time favorite was the post about the Mexican riding down the street with two bikes.  and the response that "that's my husband, he has a garage business repairing bicycles

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RayDog said:

If you consider 2020 a long way off.

Beto is 2 years ahead of schedule and may help some other dems win statewide office where they can prevent the worse gerrymandering. Even so the demographic shifts are happening faster than a person who does not bother to look at the real numbers would think.

Whites dropped below 50% in Texas back in 2005.  That was 5-15 years ahead of what was predicted, depending on who you are looking at. 

The fact that a Senate seat is in trouble in 2018 is still amazing.  

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Ted is partly tone-deaf, but I also think he’s aware that his support has a ceiling, and that he isn’t capable of pulling in many new supporters.  The NFL shit, etc. isn't meant to attract new Cruz supporters, it’s meant to get his existing base out. 

39 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Mine has an email listserv, Yahoo group, Facebook page, and website.  

Lots of “I’m getting rid of this, does anybody want it”, “anybody havis a good fence guy”, scarey delivery people, bitching about dog poop.  

The best was when a bunch of people got pissed at our city council member and decided to kick her out in the next election. And they did.  And it wasn’t like she didn’t see it coming - she or her staff somewhat followed the various platforms mentioned above. 

17 hours ago, LTbear said:

I never hear anyone mention Gainesville Texas. My parents were from there, mom still lives there, plus some aunts, uncles, and lone surviving grandparent. I don’t know about most patriotic, but at one point I believe Gainesville had the highest average resident age of any Texas city.

I’m willing to bet my parents know your relatives.

Mine has an email listserv, Yahoo group, Facebook page, and website.  
Lots of “I’m getting rid of this, does anybody want it”, “anybody havis a good fence guy”, scarey delivery people, bitching about dog poop.  
The best was when a bunch of people got pissed at our city council member and decided to kick her out in the next election. And they did.  And it wasn’t like she didn’t see it coming - she or her staff somewhat followed the various platforms mentioned above. 

You in Gallo’s district? That was brutal.

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

She was in a no-win situation.  I liked her, still do.  But our district has a real split personality disorder.

Oh, and Nextdoor is the devil.  Sure, it's useful for getting extra bags of mulch, finding a plumber, etc.  But everything else....dear God, it makes Surly look like a model of decency and measured human behavior.

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yep.  The online fighting was nuts.  

But it was kinda obvious - way too many did not like Gallo’s stances, and Gallo had to know that many were pissed at her.  A lot of this was stuff was being said on public sites and not hidden in emails or private Yahoo or Facebook groups.