Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

On another note, I found it extremely interesting that while listening to local KLBJ this morning, the syncophants seemed to be tempering expectations, talking about how polling can be wrong because they use land lines that don't capture young voters and so they may not be accurate.

I haven't listened to KLBJ in a long time, and I just went to the website to see what they're airing these days. I can't believe Todd and Don host the entire morning block. Vomit. I guess Sgt. Sam finally retired? (He was worse, obv, but he was kind of like a racist, irascible uncle)

• Like 1

A major legacy of a Beto loss is still a Dem takeover of the House.  Cruz and the gop pacs should have spent $10,000 to get Ted re-elected.  Instead he had to find major donors to pony up tens of millions.   Beto also had to find the money but he had a million people donate $50 or so.   No major Dem group paid a dime into Betos campaign.   
Not to mention that Cruz will be the reason of culberson or sessions loss. and Dems in Texas are more energized than in 30 years.
Even if he wins, Cruzs legacy will be a failure in the big picture.  The gop picked a loser and I don’t understand why they didn’t kick Cruz to the curb this year,  Dan Patrick would be winning by 5 more points against Beto.  And no one likes him either. 
A bad gop candidate wouldn’t even have a warranted a thread.

Very aggy of you.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Adults throwing political temper tantrums are sad. Hopefully these individuals are identified and shamed.  Is there a civil penalty for violating someone’s 1st amendment rights?  I think placing a political sign on your property is free speech. 

The first amendment only protects against government actions limiting speech. I guess there could be civil liability for the damages, but what’s the cost of replacement? 

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I guess there could be civil liability for the damages, but what’s the cost of replacement? 

You could probably be had on a theft and disorderly conduct. I'm not sure either charge would really stick, unless the person is proven to be a repeat offender, but it would cause some temporary 'fun' in their life to at least have to deal with the fuzz.

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/30/cruz-abbott-pull-ahead-in-latest-poll/

Don’t know whether this pollster has a decent history or not, but I saw it on the Real Clear Politics list of polls.  Has Cruz’s lead up to 10.

My takeaway from that is that Cruz's number is pretty much in line with what he's been receiving in all of the other polls regardless of source, and he's consistently polling 51-52% and has been for almost a month. That's bad news for Beto even if Cruz is only barely above 50%. We may still see a surprise on election day but it's interesting that Cruz's numbers are so consistent in every poll and Beto's are varying so much more. No idea what that means.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Was it ever established that he did?

the police accident report said he did (linked). The person that called the police (ambulance driver) had his partner there. So I guess you could say that two people confirmed it.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Police-reports-detail-Beto-O-Rourke-s-1998-13195088.php

Edited by MAROON

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

You could probably be had on a theft and disorderly conduct. I'm not sure either charge would really stick, unless the person is proven to be a repeat offender, but it would cause some temporary 'fun' in their life to at least have to deal with the fuzz.

I think the risk of getting shot by a Texas homeowner is non-zero.  Maybe not a Beto-supporting homeowner . . .

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

For those that are interested..... Here is the right's perspective on the race.  Maybe folks will agree or disagree, but it's not an article which is heavily critical of Dems or Pubs with tons of silliness. 

Bold move, Cotton. Maybe wait until after the election for a post mortum? I mean why risk a Dewey Defeats Truman moment?

15 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m well aware of my vulnerability to wishful thinking (cough Flake, chokes on crow). 

About the foreign influence though, the difference this go around is we know a lot more about what they do and how to counter it.  

Who is "we," and what exactly do we know? I don't think most people really are aware of it. For those who are -- well, I know it's going on , and yet I have no idea how to identify it when it's there.

That kind of statement has the faint odor of the kind of wishful thinking I'd like to avoid.

13 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
13 hours ago, RayDog said:
He is in the center.

Right? Our left left is still right of most other democracies

Eh, it depends on the issue. We've historically been super-liberal on immigration, for example (with good fucking reasons, economic, social and religious behind them).

I also think there is a pretty wide gulf between our government's actions and our population's beliefs on many things. The federal government is lagging the population on drug policy, for one thing.

Just now, Rimbo said:

I also think there is a pretty wide gulf between our government's actions and our population's beliefs on many things. The federal government is lagging the population on drug policy, for one thing.

Government always lags the population, on just about everything. Just the way of the beast.

30 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

For those that are interested..... Here is the right's perspective on the race.  Maybe folks will agree or disagree, but it's not an article which is heavily critical of Dems or Pubs with tons of silliness. 

Naw. I'm obsessed with Texas not because I believe it shows the future (I mean, it kinda does, but not for any reason other than this: one generation is dying out and another one is replacing them in greater numbers and has different interests than their parents), but because The Texas Senate Race is the Most Interesting Race of 2018. And also because, though I don't live there any more, I am still a Texan who is very much saddened that the state seems to have fallen in love with a fucking carpetbagging adulterous scumbag who stands against all the Conservative religious and political values I was brought up to believe.

And because, as others have pointed out, the money the national GOP is spending trying to save Cruz is money not spent in other battlegrounds.

• Like 2

the police accident report said he did (linked). The person that called the police (ambulance driver) had his partner there. So I guess you could say that two people confirmed it.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Police-reports-detail-Beto-O-Rourke-s-1998-13195088.php

Police report said that someone said he did, which is different than the police report saying that he did. Nobody has gotten comment from anyone

6 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

One of the Nates (Cohn, not Silver), basically said their turnout models *look* to be pretty much in line with early voting thus far, BUT, Texas is kinda the one place it could be way off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Who is "we," and what exactly do we know? I don't think most people really are aware of it. For those who are -- well, I know it's going on , and yet I have no idea how to identify it when it's there.

That kind of statement has the faint odor of the kind of wishful thinking I'd like to avoid.

This is going to take some counterintelligence theory to explain but the watchdogs in this country know what has recently been done and what to look for, it’s been well documented.  

The bad actors now know the watchdogs know so they will either have to act more overtly or dramatically change their tactics. 

The heightened awareness almost acts as a deterrent in itself.  We haven’t seen any massive stolen email dumps in the news or many truly foreign manufactured narratives like in 2016.

So far, it appears the propaganda is mostly domestically created with the foreign agents of influence exploiting the usual divisions.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The first amendment only protects against government actions limiting speech. I guess there could be civil liability for the damages, but what’s the cost of replacement? 

The appropriate action for sign-stealing caught on video, is to put it up on twitter, YouTube, etc.   Put their shit on blast so that they understand that this is not acceptable behavior. 

How the hell is it that my six year-old has a stronger moral code than a lot of adults?