Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Y'all are the ones who live with the world leaning on your shoulders all the time.

Life be so hard, yo.  Vote Democrat.  We won't do a fucking thing about it for 100 years, but life will get better calling them honkies names.

my life is pretty fucking easy these days.  none of the blame for when it was bad or the credit when it is good has a fucking thing to do with politics or politicians (although I recognize that being a straight white dude makes it easy for that to be the case).  I just wish that the future of Texas was here, now.

Edited by Celery Man

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can Beto carry Texas against Trump in a Presidential election?  If the answer is yes, that’s ball game.

IIRC, Trump beat a massively unlikable Hilary by 9 points in Texas.  That's a shitload to make up.  Beto's charisma alone probably gets him a few of those points.

How many Texans are between 16 and 19 right now?  They couldn't vote last time...

Edited by TexArcher

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can Beto carry Texas against Trump in a Presidential election?  If the answer is yes, that’s ball game.

No.

Unless Feinstein has a hot move from a girl he dated in high school too.

Just now, gmr548 said:

This. And it isn't aggy to say so, this ain't football. There is very real strategic value in what happened in Texas this cycle. Took money and time off the national playing field and into defending the crown jewel of red states. It will only get easier for Allred and Fletcher to win their seats from here. Other somewhat competitive house races will be legit flip opportunities in 2020 and 2022. Statewide, the GOP position of power will only continue to erode. No one looking at the trends rationally can deny that. It stings, as it should, but I hope we will look back on it as a harbinger of things to come as opposed to just sulking and forfeiting another decade or two.

This.  Texas is in play now.  And maybe, people will finally give a shit and campaign here.  Fuck shitty states like Ohio, Iowa, PA, and FL getting all the attention and the time of the candidates.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

IIRC, Trump beat a massively unlikable Hilary by 9 points in Texas.  That's a shitload to make up.  His charisma alone probably gets him a few of those points.

How many Texans are between 16 and 19 right now?  They couldn't vote last time...

This right here.  Trump vs. Hillary was like picking between STDs.  Not really a choice.  Get a charismatic Dem, and I do not know if they would win, but it would be awfully fucking close.

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well no, Beto lost his race and didn't run specifically on helping other dem candidates win. He did however campaign on making a difference and establishing a check on Trump's power. Which aiding significantly in flipping Texas congressional seats counts towards. So to Beto, sure it's a moral victory. To the people who supported him and his cause of putting a check on trump and making the country more progressive... We got a good bite of what we wanted and donated for. 

The fact that we heard about Beto in Maryland, Virginia and in other states as it became a closely contested race that occupied national attention. Texas is a huge Republican stronghold and Beto almost pulled it off.  It inspired a lot of hope.  That was money well spent.  

Edited by Mdhorn

Beto is a once in a generation Candidate. Nearly pulled off the perfect race.

I hold no illusions that the Democrats will come remotely close to taking Cornyn's seat in 2020.

The Governor's race is more indicative as to where Texas is. Abbott won by 14 points. (and that was with Beto's coattails)

Image result for Debbie Downer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

And them going full retard like they did with Kavanaugh will mean Trump wins in 2020

Well actually, another kavanaugh won't happen because house dems can subpoena records for sitting judges if they suspect foul play, as in the case of kavanaugh. GOP can't sneak shit through anymore

• Like 1

Just now, yoladu said:

Beto is a once in a generation Candidate. Nearly pulled off the perfect race.

I hold no illusions that the Democrats will come remotely close to taking Cornyn's seat in 2020.

The Governor's race is more indicative as to where Texas is. Abbott won by 14 points. (and that was with Beto's coattails)

Image result for Debbie Downer

Abbott was also running against Lupe Valdez, who was in no way qualified to be Gov.  

Why wouldn’t Cornyn be easier to beat?  Cruz is hated by libs but the base likes him for just that reason. No one likes or gives a shit about Cornyn. He’s a non-entity. He’s also a hell of a lot dumber than Cruz. 

Edited by Fozzz

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

Beto raised a shit load of money that cranked out massive turnout which helped down ballot candidates. What an idiot wasting all that money!

I dont know if it's stupid but think about all the children...the sad thing is Cruz isnt even likeable.  Abbott won by 10 points.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CNN map is odd for Texas.  They show several larger counties at 100% reporting, but there still only show the early vote for the county.  Maybe the 100% of today's votes are in the state total but not county.  

I'm really curious to see how some of the suburban heavy counties end up.  

Yeah, I noticed that too. I expect it too tighten some. Cruz will probably win by 2% when the big urban counties come in. Beto got damn close. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Texas has not elected a Democrat to statewide office in 24 years. Cruz winning by a few points is nothing to gloat about.

Just shows you how formidable an opponent he was and how much fear he conjured. He was a heck of a political candidate and as we all know, it won't be the last we see or hear of him on his rise to political wunderkind JFK-cum-Obama fame.

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

Beto is a once in a generation Candidate.

This right here is bullshit.

Beto is a tall, good-looking guy. Other than that... what?

He didn't start with big name recognition. He didn't have some kind of record of leadership. He didn't have a history as a policy genius. He didn't even have specific and firm policy initiatives. He almost won a Senate seat in Texas with a charming smile, nice personality, and some progressive platitudes.

He was a really good candidate, but nothing irreplaceable.

Dems looking at this and thinking, "OH GOD THAT WAS OUR ONE CHANCE!" are pants-wetting morons. Take the ball and run forward with it to 2020 and beyond.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

CNN map is odd for Texas.  They show several larger counties at 100% reporting, but there still only show the early vote for the county.  Maybe the 100% of today's votes are in the state total but not county.  

I'm really curious to see how some of the suburban heavy counties end up.  

saying-theres-a-chance.jpg