Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

This race had no business being this close.
Texas is turning purple and it's great.

I don’t see the purple. The statewide races appear to all still be Republican winners. Hard to imagine 2020 being better for Democrats with it being a Presidential election.

Just now, Skipper said:

I think Beto would have taken it had he pivoted a little more to the center.  Some center right folks like my voted for him from the standpoint of principles over policy but there were A LOT out there he could have turned if he would have been more moderate.   I don't think that was an accident.  He stayed liberal probably because that's who he is AND that's who he knows he needs to be to compete in a democratic primary.

I don't think so. The numbers were never there for him. He got about as close as he possibly could.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think Beto would have taken it had he pivoted a little more to the center.  Some center right folks like me voted for him from the standpoint of principles over policy but there were A LOT out there he could have turned if he would have been more moderate.   I don't think that was an accident.  He stayed liberal probably because that's who he is AND that's who he knows he needs to be to compete in a democratic primary.

his soft border stance scared off a few. Then the Kavanuaugh thing lit a fire under redneck asses. 

Just now, DaysOff said:
4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
This race had no business being this close.
Texas is turning purple and it's great.

Huh. Cruz is Hillary/trump level awful as a candidate and Beto is Obama/Christ like. If that guy can't win no one can.

This is still Texas. It takes time. 

I'm thrilled with how well Beto did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I think Beto would have taken it had he pivoted a little more to the center.  Some center right folks like my voted for him from the standpoint of principles over policy but there were A LOT out there he could have turned if he would have been more moderate.   I don't think that was an accident.  He stayed liberal probably because that's who he is AND that's who he knows he needs to be to compete in a democratic primary.

I agree 100%. I know a lot of 20-30 somethings that votes solely on guns and most lean blue just out of age and Harris county.    I posted this pages ago a week or so ago, but a 100% solid “this is what I propose and where I draw the line” on gun control would have swayed ALOT of Texans.   And any semblance of a tougher stance on immigration would have brought even more.  But if it’s not who he is, can’t blame him for being himself. 

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Congrats Texas, you chose poorly.

by avoiding policies that destroy the places from which the leftists have fled?

Sure, brother.  Finish that bowl.

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I agree 100%. I know a lot of 20-30 somethings that votes solely on guns and most lean blue just out of age and Harris county.    I posted this pages ago a week or so ago, but a 100% solid “this is what I propose and where I draw the line” on gun control would have swayed ALOT of Texans.   And any semblance of a tougher stance on immigration would have brought even more.  But if it’s not who he is, can’t blame him for being himself. 

I think 75% of them are “protect the future for white children” and Christian nationalist types (including the gun nuts), with the remainder being country club Republicans who don’t give a fuck about anything besides their tax bill. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RPM said:

U.S. Senator
Precincts: 1987 / 7987 (25% reporting)
Ted Cruz (R)
3112534(51%)
Beto O'Rourke (D)
2981864(49%)
Neal M. Dikeman (L)
38770(1%)
Last Updated: 11/6/2018 9:18:53 PM
Vote Total: 6133168

25% reporting but 6.1 million votes. Explain that math. 

Well bye Ted. See you again in 6 years after you’ve run for President or taken a cabinet job. I’m sure you’ll represent our state like you did the last 6 years. Rarely. Texas Republicans? You’re idiots. Just know, Cruz winning doesn’t represent all of the state of Texas. So don’t throw that crap out “Well Texas voters didn’t want open borders...” No, you barely won and no one wants open borders. And no one wants to take your guns away. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

He couldn’t really focus on his policies.  Because the vast majority of Texans disagree.  He had to focus on being cool, skateboarding and driving his truck around Texas. 

You must've never heard him speak then.  I've never heard him mention being cool, skateboarding, or driving a truck.  But I know exactly where he stands on major issues, because he was vocal about it.  You're guy is gonna win but you're still gonna be a retard.

• Like 2

U.S. Senator
Precincts: 2351 / 7987 (29% reporting)
Ted Cruz (R)
3176958(51%)
Beto O'Rourke (D)
3030054(49%)
Neal M. Dikeman (L)
40006(1%)
Last Updated: 11/6/2018 9:22:53 PM
Vote Total: 6247018

Looks like all the podunk counties (including mine) went heavy for Cruz.

Just now, NowThis said:

25% reporting but 6.1 million votes. Explain that math. 

As mentioned elsewhere, it's because all the reporting services are treating early voting results as a single precinct in each county. It's absurd. If 6.1 million votes are in then you're looking at 85% or so of the votes counted.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Love all the armchair quarterbacks second guessing Beto’s campaign strategy.  

Yeah, they’re wrong. Beto got this close because he shunned the nonexistent center. He’s just 4-10 years too early. Demographic shifts plus much needed party building will take this state the path Virginia took. 

• Like 1