The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

We're probably 2-3 years away from mass book burning on this present course. Holyfuck. Just remember this shit and do not ever take this party seriously again. They should be wiped from the place of the planet for what they've done.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

We're probably 2-3 years away from mass book burning on this present course. Holyfuck. Just remember this shit and do not ever take this party seriously again. They should be wiped from the place of the planet for what they've done.

Ah, so you're an optimist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I say this all the time: I’m a liberal, not a progressive. I believe in Free trade, free markets and free minds, with a safety net for those at the bottom and good guardrails in place to protect capital and mutual trust. I like low taxes, balanced or surplus budgets in harvest season and savings accounts in banks, and I think that equal representation of groups should be the result of a level playing field for individuals persons, not a policy goal that deprives individuals of opportunity and dignity. If there was still a place in the GOP for people like me I’d be a Republican.

But there isn’t. So I vote Democrat, because at least those views get a hearing among a diversity of others, and often carries the argument.

There is nothing stopping anyone like you, brave and angry soul, from infiltrating the Republican party and trying, incrementally, to change it.

I never have to worry about that because I'm not white.

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

It's not just republicans,  it's the nature of our entire species all over the world and over our entire history.  As a species is driven almost purely by fear, anxiety and greed.  We are highly  illogical, can not be swayed by facts, and are programmed to turn our backs on truth if it threatens our identity and pre-existing beliefs.  We are willing to kill millions over superstition and fairy tales. We had a good run.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Sounds like admissions are going to  start getting easier. 

i think it's because there are fewer republicans, on my good days.

on my bad days, i think sometimes its because america has always been dumb, and what i used to think as "folksy" has turned into gleeful, hateful ignorance. thinking about east texas.

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

It's not just republicans,  it's the nature of our entire species all over the world and over our entire history.  As a species is driven almost purely by fear, anxiety and greed.  We are highly  illogical, can not be swayed by facts, and are programmed to turn our backs on truth if it threatens our identity and pre-existing beliefs.  We are willing to kill millions over superstition and fairy tales. We had a good run.

Preach brotha.....a great book, but starting to look like a good possibility at some point in the not too distant future... 

"picture yourself planting radishes and seed potatoes on the fifteenth green of a forgotten golf course.  You'll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle.  We'll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night."

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Preach brotha.....a great book, but starting to look like a good possibility at some point in the not too distant future... 

"picture yourself planting radishes and seed potatoes on the fifteenth green of a forgotten golf course.  You'll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle.  We'll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against the bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night."

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is our future. We are so confident that we can control our world around us but we really do sit on a razors edge. We now depend so much on the technology we created and surrounded ourselves with, but it can all go away in a snap (or a malicious code in our electric grid systems). Once that happens, society will quickly devolve into chaos. 

7 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is our future. We are so confident that we can control our world around us but we really do sit on a razors edge. We now depend so much on the technology we created and surrounded ourselves with, but it can all go away in a snap (or a malicious code in our electric grid systems). Once that happens, society will quickly devolve into chaos. 

Dude.  This is WHY YOU MUST BE PREPARED.

PleasantColossalItalianbrownbear-size_re

UntidyFrequentDarklingbeetle-size_restri

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />

LwDsHK.gif

image-asset.gif

I'll be staying alive, with my bunker full of DELICIOUS creamy potato soup buckets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

As equally important, the earth cannot fucking sustain what we are doing to it, and we don't give a shit because "not my problem I'll be dead by then" 

• Like 1

This is my favorite excerpt from Pale Blue Dot:

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Say what you want about Carl Sagan, but that excerpt right there, that gets me every time.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Nah, this is some conservative American bullshit.

15 hours ago, tantric superman said:

There is nothing stopping anyone like you, brave and angry soul, from infiltrating the Republican party and trying, incrementally, to change it.

I never have to worry about that because I'm not white.

Don't sell yourself short.   "Black Friend" has a long and honored tradition in the GOP.

source.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As pointed out in the comments, the oddest thing is this seems to be some manual cut and paste of the Facebook warning of the same.  Boomer^1000.  Someone took a different warning and physically dragged the word “Instagram” onto the warning covering up “Facebook” instead of taking 2 minutes to just retype it.  

As as we’ve been saying: dumb instead of corrupt and dumb.  Which is a MASSIVE improvement. 

HAHAHAHAHA gotta keep the con going 

Arsonists toss gallons of gas on the fire, then yell “fire! I need to bulldoze all the surrounding properties to keep it from spreading!”
Just repeal the last tax bill, and we’ll make TREMENDOUS progress. How about that idea, Mitt? No? Then fuck you straight to Mormon hell.

38 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

HAHAHAHAHA gotta keep the con going 

Listened to a guy from the CBO on NPR this morning. He stressed that it's not yet a "crisis" but that it is a long-term challenge that must be addressed within the next few years. He basically said, "We at the CBO only analyze the figures and don't give recommendations, but we're about 10 percent short of what we need. We should raise revenue by that amount, decrease spending by that amount, or a combination of both. It's not something that needs to be solved right away, given the current state of the economy." (paraphrasing)

Honestly, that gave me *some* comfort. But then I start thinking about the potential for a looming recession with the inevitable loss of revenue from taxes that would result from a slowdown in economic activity, along with the need to "prime the pump" by increasing expenses to provide stimulus, and I'm left frustrated and, quite frankly pissed, by how gotdam short-sighted it was to pass that giant corporate tax giveaway a couple years ago when it wasn't needed.

When (not if) a recession happens, people are going to need more assistance to get through it and these fucking charlatans keep trying to pull the rug out from under them. And from what I'm hearing and reading about the pending economic slowdown, it's not coming from the consumer side of the equation. It's the business end: tariffs dampening trade and corporate debt and lack of new investment. The first can be blamed directly on Trump and the latter leaves me reacting: WHAT DID Y'ALL DO WITH ALL THAT CASH FROM THE TAX CUT!!!

It's all a fucking shell game with these clowns, and voters who proclaim to be "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" fall for it every damn time.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

And from what I'm hearing and reading about the pending economic slowdown, it's not coming from the consumer side of the equation. It's the business end: tariffs dampening trade and corporate debt and lack of new investment. The first can be blamed directly on Trump and the latter leaves me reacting: WHAT DID Y'ALL DO WITH ALL THAT CASH FROM THE TAX CUT!!!

It's all a fucking shell game with these clowns, and voters who proclaim to be "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" fall for it every damn time.

Stock buybacks this year are strong but just below 2018′s record, according to a new report from J.P. Morgan.

As buybacks hit records last year (about $800 billion), a predictable political backlash developed: Corporations were spending too much of their free cash flow buying back stock and should spend more investing in their businesses, critics claimed.

Maybe, but J.P. Morgan concludes that buybacks do accomplish their main goal. They improve stock prices.

“Stocks of companies that buy back their shares tend to outperform both short and long term, and we estimate over 4% outperformance for high-buyback companies in the U.S. and Europe over the past 20 and 25 years,” the report concludes.

That’s because overall buybacks have been reducing the amount of shares outstanding. Net buybacks — the actual amount bought back minus the value of new options that are passed on to employees — is about $400 billion, half the gross buyback figure of $800 billion, but still a big chunk of cash.

Are buybacks rising too fast and consuming too much of corporate free cash? The report concludes that the level of buybacks is about in line with the 15-year average (they are about 2% of the market capitalization of the S&P 500 each year), and only appear higher because profits are higher and the markets are at a record.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/18/companies-have-been-buying-back-massive-amounts-of-stock-this-year.html

that's what they've been doing with the cash from the tax cut.

they aren't increasing worker salaries or reinvesting in human resource.

you are right, it's a fucking shell game. those stock buybacks help with stock prices as well.

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/18/companies-have-been-buying-back-massive-amounts-of-stock-this-year.html

that's what they've been doing with the cash from the tax cut.

they aren't increasing worker salaries or reinvesting in human resource.

you are right, it's a fucking shell game. those stock buybacks help with stock prices as well.

The only thing the tax cut did was give a short-term spike to the stock market right after Xmas 2017 and it's been erratic as fuck since then.

Edit: And looking at the Dow Jones chart, it was doing just fine before that and the announcement of the tariffs. Corporate America didn't fucking need it in the first place and then their support ended up giving them Trump's trade wars right after.

Edited by bolverk

the main drivers of our long term deficit are the 3 tax cuts we've had since 2000 and a war we got into because we didn't have anything better to do.  all 4 of which were brought to you by the republican party.  the whole strategy for the last 40 years has been to balloon the debt so that they could force the democrats to reduce social services.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don’t know which thread to put this in, so

I want to say this is just a total fucking moron talking here, but this goes a step beyond that. Also if Kudlow is a great friend of yours I know you are a grifting rube.

Can we just give Florida to Cuba and let them deal with this shitstorm of stupidity?

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

the main drivers of our long term deficit are the 3 tax cuts we've had since 2000 and a war we got into because we didn't have anything better to do.  all 4 of which were brought to you by the republican party.  the whole strategy for the last 40 years has been to balloon the debt so that they could force the democrats to reduce social services.

Yep. But really glad the corporations and super rich got all that money the last go around to stimulate the economy. Just think how bad it would be if we didn't have those revenue increasing/selffunding tax cuts.

I'm ready to repeal the 22nd amendment and let Liz have a nice FDR run. Fuck this shit. Soak em all to pay for this mess.

• Like 1

Pretty rich that Mitch McConnell penned an op-ed warning Democrats not to get rid of the filibuster:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/opinion/mitch-mcconnell-senate-filibuster.html

“You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think.”

That was my warning to Senate Democrats in November 2013. Their leader, Harry Reid, had just persuaded them to trample longstanding Senate rules and precedents. Now that some Democrats are proposing further radical changes to the Senate’s functioning, it is instructive to recall what happened next.

Garland says hi.

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Pretty rich that Mitch McConnell penned an op-ed warning Democrats not to get rid of the filibuster:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/opinion/mitch-mcconnell-senate-filibuster.html

Garland says hi.

If Moscow Mitch warns you not to do something you should definitely do it. In order to save your soul.

If Moscow Mitch asks you to do something you should definitely not do it. In order to save your soul.

• Like 1

So, R's in both DC and Kansas are calling for the resignation of a representative who's been in office for 8 months.  But no one knows why.

https://www.cjonline.com/news/20190822/us-rep-steve-watkins-ducks-reporters-amid-speculation-he-could-resign

FORT SCOTT — Kansas Republican U.S. Rep. Steve Watkins declined to answer news reporters’ questions at a campaign event Thursday amid a flurry of bipartisan speculation his career in Congress could come to an abrupt end after eight months in office.

Instead, he bolted into a waiting vehicle and sped away.

Republicans in Kansas and Washington, D.C., were pressuring Watkins to step down, but the reason for the possible resignation wasn’t certain. Jim Joice, the spokesman for Watkins, said there would be no resignation. Joice acknowledged widespread conversation on the topic but disputed whether GOP leaders were actually applying pressure.

The congressman addressed business owners, military veterans and politically engaged voters during a meet and greet sponsored by the Fort Scott Area Chamber of Commerce, reflecting on his accomplishments in office and the “fleeting” nature of being a public servant. Watkins was talking to a constituent when he placed his cellphone to his ear and abruptly left the Boiler Room Brewhaus through a side door.

Two news reporters chased and shouted after Watkins as he stepped into the passenger side of a waiting SUV and smirked as the vehicle pulled away. Watkins aides inside the restaurant declined to answer questions but said they would forward a request for comment to superiors.

Watkins narrowly defeated Democrat Paul Davis during a turbulent 2018 campaign in which questions were raised about Watkins’ military service and his treatment of women in Kansas, Alaska and elsewhere.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reported he was dating women in Topeka during the campaign while engaged to be married and after he was wed, and identified a Wasilla, Alaska, resident who accused Watkins of unwanted sexual advances. Watkins called the allegations “preposterous.”

The 42-year-old was elected in November to the 2nd District seat vacated by retiring U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, also a Republican. He emerged from a crowded GOP primary on the strength of television advertising underwritten by Watkins’ father, a Topeka physician, who set up a political action committee. The super PAC spent more than $700,000 on his campaign.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult