The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

20 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. There was a Bill Clinton quote about how Dems fall in love with candidates while Goppers fall in line.

Then, there was a clear statement that this axiom doesn't hold true anymore. In fact, it's the opposite today. Trumpers are enthralled with Trump to the point that they'd almost be happy to have him as a dictator as a key point of evidence that they've "fallen in love".

Is your comment a criticism? I really don't know what point you're making.

Both? Is this a "both sides" statement? We have one side comparing Trump to someone chosen by God, and the other saying, "That'll do, pig. You're holding the line." Believe me, there is no "lust" for Biden from the progressives.

I think what he's trying to say is that white Nordic immigration to the US is okay while brown Latin immigration is not. Admittedly, it's a garbled message that doesn't make sense unless you're a racist fuck.

No, the trumpers are exhibiting symptoms of both capitulating to an authoritarian (getting in line) and some twisted form of lust or infatuation.

When Clinton referred to love he meant like a teenage girl (He's so handsome and charming, e.g. JFK, Clinton himself, Obama), not just any kind of obeisant affection.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What a dumb ass. Women make up 50.5% of the population. In November 2020, more women voted than men in every state, but North Dakota, with Alaska even. The two states with the highest male to female ratios (AK 1.1:1; ND 1.03:1; U.S. .98:1). In 2024, probably even more women will be voting due to Roe. Another winning strategy from the geniuses in the GQP.

Edited by Jhawkmvp
added a link
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Fuentes has been a white supremacist since high school. Most of them flame out like Richard Spencer did because American society was hell to the naw on fascism and overt racism. But now with a platform and a mic, Nick is gloating at his good fortune to be a bellwether for authoritarianism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

You ever wonder if Gaetz wakes up and after showering, looks in the bathroom mirror and has a moment of self-awareness? Like just a teeny inkling of his own utterances and thoughts? Yeah, it passes pretty quickly doesn't it; I don't wonder much about it any more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, royiv said:

Oklahoma legislators going hard in the paint. Must be getting tired of living in the shadow of the Texas GQP.

5 hours ago, Stilicho said:

Party of small government.

They are angry about all of the pot being legally smoked in Oklahoma and are just throwing shit on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/18/2024 at 8:44 PM, cactusflinthead said:

It did not go unnoticed.

Screenshot_20240118-194353.png

For those of you younger posters, in 1977 a film called "Kentucky Fried Movie" was released.  It contained the scene (entitled "Danger Seekers," i.e., people who put themselves in dangerous situations for the film camera) in the spoiler.   Every time I see something like what Mr. Gaetz is saying, I always think of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

image.png.dc693cffd8c33ced645fc3fccc8a2b5a.png

I’m unsure why this is on this thread but out of curiosity I googled this. The pastor has been asked to have his facility meet safety codes to house the homeless people, and he hasn’t done this yet. He says he needs more time, the city says he has had plenty of time. I don’t have the info or experience to say who’s right.

But what I do know is that just because people are homeless, it doesn’t mean that we should ignore safety rules to protect citizens. I also don’t know whether there are other adequate shelters nearby. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m unsure why this is on this thread

GQP = Death

Death from freezing

The pastor has been asked to have his facility meet safety codes to house the homeless people, and he hasn’t done this yet. He says he needs more time, the city says he has had plenty of time.

Let me engage in a little whataboutism: did Mattress Mack have safety code to house people flooded out of their houses during that hurricane a few years ago?  Maybe Joel Osteen -- who didn't open his church -- is really just a Code stickler and not a dickhead.

I wonder what Code is in question.  Occupancy?  A church sanctuary should have enough of that:

image.thumb.png.6fd86f5a9e65bda1ad8ad5bdd31244ef.png

But what I do know is that just because people are homeless, it doesn’t mean that we should ignore safety rules to protect citizens. I also don’t know whether there are other adequate shelters nearby. 

Good point: is there not enough capacity from the jurisdiction?  The article below would lead one to believe there isn't.  What it really looks like his neighbors had a beef with him housing homeless people -- which I get -- but until the city wants to solve problems there will be problems.

Spoiler

An Ohio pastor is facing criminal charges for opening his church to unhoused people.

The city of Bryan, Ohio, charged Pastor Chris Avell with multiple zoning code violations Dec. 8.

According to the city's complaint, Avell allowed people to reside at his church in Bryan, called Dad's Place, for extended periods of time, defying the city's zoning rules. Dad's Place is zoned within the city's central business district, so people cannot eat, wash clothes or sleep at the property, the complaint reads. The church is located near several service agencies, a homeless shelter, comic book store and Mexican restaurant.

Dad's Place opened its doors as a 24-hour warming shelter last March, 13 Action News (WTVG-TV) reports. The church often takes in people the neighboring homeless shelter cannot help, according to the outlet.

“A reasonable amount of time was given for both the tenant and property owner to fix the issues," Bryan police chief Gregory Ruskey told 13 Action News in a statement. "Due to the safety of all involved, the city moved forward with filing charges.”

According to a city press release, Avell was notified about his zoning code violations in November. During a Nov. 21 inspection of the church, fire chief Douglas Pool also found 18 "serious" violations of the Ohio Fire Code, the release said. Five more violations were discovered during January inspections.

The city said it will take "appropriate action" if the fire code violations are not corrected by Jan. 23.

Jeremy Dys, one of Avell's attorneys and senior counsel at First Liberty Institute, said he believes the pastor wasn't given enough time to complete the fixes.

Avell pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges Jan. 11. He is due back in Bryan Municipal Court for a pre-trial hearing Jan. 30.

The pastor previously told 13 Action News the church will remain open for those who need it throughout the winter.

In a Facebook post, Dad's Place said it would be open 24 hours a day Jan. 13-16 to provide hot chocolate, coffee and soup for visitors. "Anyone who could use a warm place" was welcome to stay in the heated building for as long as they needed, the post read.

Many Facebook users offered their support in the post's comments. A GoFundMe campaign launched this week has raised over $6,000 for the church.

"I just know that criminal charges should not be filed against a pastor for having his church open 24 hours a day," Dys said.

The Bryan city attorney did not return The Enquirer's request for comment.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

GQP = Death

Death from freezing

Let me engage in a little whataboutism: did Mattress Mack have safety code to house people flooded out of their houses during that hurricane a few years ago?  Maybe Joel Osteen -- who didn't open his church -- is really just a Code stickler.

I wonder what Code is in question.  Occupancy?  A church sanctuary should have enough of that:

image.thumb.png.6fd86f5a9e65bda1ad8ad5bdd31244ef.png

Good point: is there not enough capacity from the jurisdiction?  The article below would lead one to believe there isn't.  What it really looks like his neighbors had a beef with him housing homeless people -- which I get -- but until the city wants to solve problems there will be problems.

Reveal hidden contents

An Ohio pastor is facing criminal charges for opening his church to unhoused people.

The city of Bryan, Ohio, charged Pastor Chris Avell with multiple zoning code violations Dec. 8.

According to the city's complaint, Avell allowed people to reside at his church in Bryan, called Dad's Place, for extended periods of time, defying the city's zoning rules. Dad's Place is zoned within the city's central business district, so people cannot eat, wash clothes or sleep at the property, the complaint reads. The church is located near several service agencies, a homeless shelter, comic book store and Mexican restaurant.

Dad's Place opened its doors as a 24-hour warming shelter last March, 13 Action News (WTVG-TV) reports. The church often takes in people the neighboring homeless shelter cannot help, according to the outlet.

“A reasonable amount of time was given for both the tenant and property owner to fix the issues," Bryan police chief Gregory Ruskey told 13 Action News in a statement. "Due to the safety of all involved, the city moved forward with filing charges.”

According to a city press release, Avell was notified about his zoning code violations in November. During a Nov. 21 inspection of the church, fire chief Douglas Pool also found 18 "serious" violations of the Ohio Fire Code, the release said. Five more violations were discovered during January inspections.

The city said it will take "appropriate action" if the fire code violations are not corrected by Jan. 23.

Jeremy Dys, one of Avell's attorneys and senior counsel at First Liberty Institute, said he believes the pastor wasn't given enough time to complete the fixes.

Avell pleaded not guilty to the criminal charges Jan. 11. He is due back in Bryan Municipal Court for a pre-trial hearing Jan. 30.

The pastor previously told 13 Action News the church will remain open for those who need it throughout the winter.

In a Facebook post, Dad's Place said it would be open 24 hours a day Jan. 13-16 to provide hot chocolate, coffee and soup for visitors. "Anyone who could use a warm place" was welcome to stay in the heated building for as long as they needed, the post read.

Many Facebook users offered their support in the post's comments. A GoFundMe campaign launched this week has raised over $6,000 for the church.

"I just know that criminal charges should not be filed against a pastor for having his church open 24 hours a day," Dys said.

The Bryan city attorney did not return The Enquirer's request for comment.

Last word from me on a situation that I admit that I only spent 2  Minutes reading about. I don’t see that the city stopped him from saving people. They just asked him to get the proper permits and meet safety codes. He didn’t. Does that mean his neighbors don’t want him housing homeless? Probably. If I opened my house to dozens of homeless people on an ongoing basis, I’m going to assume my neighbors wouldn’t like it either. That doesn’t make them evil people.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Last word from me on a situation that I admit that I only spent 2  Minutes reading about. I don’t see that the city stopped him from saving people. They just asked him to get the proper permits and meet safety codes. He didn’t. Does that mean his neighbors don’t want him housing homeless? Probably. If I opened my house to dozens of homeless people on an ongoing basis, I’m going to assume my neighbors wouldn’t like it either. That doesn’t make them evil people.

It's a fucking church, not a house on 1/8 of an acre.  Having some homeless people INSIDE the church keeps them more out of sight (out of mind) than if they were on the street, dying.

The church is literally doing what few churches do these days -- supporting the downtrodden.  You know, like Jesus commanded.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

What about when your “woke zoning” laws interfere with my freedom to practice my religion?
That’s the pinch point here.
Wanna bet the folks who scream the loudest about “religious liberty, I don’t have to follow laws that disagree with my beliefs!” are nowhere to be found on this one?