The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Looks like it's already been deleted, but posts like these should be reported immediately.  Fuck them.

Posts like that should get the poster banned. Not sure what you have to do to get banned when inciting mass violence isn't enough. That is yelling fire in a theater type shit. Maybe we should repeal 230, fuck you twitter. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/08/trump-gop-blow-up-443461

Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the presidential election have met with defeat in every swing state and in nearly every court where his cases have been heard. But Trump’s campaign to pressure GOP elected officials to support his baseless claims of a rigged election — and his success in convincing a majority of the party that widespread voter fraud occurred — is already showing signs of having far-reaching effects that will reshape the Republican Party for years to come.

State party chairs are tearing into their governors. Elected officials are knifing one another in the back. Failed candidates are seizing on Trump’s rhetoric to claim they were also victims of voter fraud in at least a half dozen states.

As his presidency comes to a close, Trump has not only imprinted his smash-mouth style on the GOP, he has wrenched open the schism between the activist class and the elected class, according to interviews with more than a dozen Republican Party officials and strategists in the states.

“This is Hatfield and McCoy stuff, but it’s McCoy on McCoy, or Hatfield on Hatfield,” said Michael Brodkorb, a former deputy chair of the Minnesota Republican Party. “To see activists across the country really just with pitchforks and torches at the capitols … it’s just bonkers.”

In the short term, the forces unleashed by Trump threaten the party’s prospects in the Jan. 5 Georgia Senate runoff. But the infighting also stands to reshape the party for the long haul, with implications for the midterm elections and the presidential nominating contest in 2024.

Spoiler

In recent weeks, the chair of the Arizona Republican Party, Kelli Ward, told the state’s Republican governor to shut up on Twitter in a feud over the integrity of Arizona’s election, which Biden won — choosing Trump over the state’s highest ranking Republican Party official. Ward’s counterpart in Georgia, David Shafer, joined the state’s two Republican senators in attacking the state’s Republican secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, while leaving Trump to tear into Republican Gov. Brian Kemp.

In Michigan, the state Republican Party chair, Laura Cox, stood by Trump’s campaign as it pressed Republican lawmakers to override the popular vote in her state — something Republican legislative leaders have said repeatedly they won’t do.

Enmity between the Republican Party’s populist and establishment wings has existed in some form for years, long predating Trump. But Trump’s domination of the party has exacerbated the gulf between them, and his persistent demand that Republicans choose sides has left little room for compromise.

He is leaving the party at an unfamiliar crossroads: The outgoing president is a defeated candidate, but unlike recent one-term presidents, he is adored by the base and is the source of a significant expansion of the GOP’s ranks. Millions of Republican voters remain convinced, without evidence, that the election was unfairly taken from him. And Trump will leave behind a party apparatus controlled by loyalists unbeholden to less populist, less Trumpian holdovers.

The result is that many of the party’s field officers in the states are preparing to dig in to ensure that Trump — and his style of politics — remains the party’s guiding light. That is putting them at cross-purposes with more traditionalist Republicans, such as Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) and Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, who are positioning themselves as alternatives to Trump.

Trump has suggested that he will run again, but many Republicans aren’t convinced. Saul Anuzis, a former chairman of the Michigan Republican Party, said, “I suspect we’ll see 15 people running for president again next time around.”

The signs already point to a protracted intraparty war. In Arizona, where Trump was the first GOP nominee to lose since 1996, Daniel Barker, a former Arizona Court of Appeals judge who started a PAC of Republicans supporting Biden, said “there clearly is a major problem” in the Republican Party, even with Trump’s loss.

“If people for the next two or three years view Trump as having 60 or 70 million votes, it’s going to be hard to say no to him,” Barker said, fearful that Trump or Trumpian candidates will maintain a hold on the party. In response, members of Barker’s group are weighing whether to begin recruiting Republican-minded independents to run in Arizona if Trump-oriented candidates clog the Republican Party field.

Stan Barnes, a former ArIzona state lawmaker and longtime Republican consultant, predicted the name-calling between Republicans is “a fever that will come and go.” Still, he said, “it’s acute.”

After Ward’s back and forth with Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey last week, Barnes said, “You just don’t often get the leader of the party willing to say out loud, ‘Hey, governor, shut the hell up,‘ and then the governor responds in kind.”

He called it a “special occurrence I’ve never seen before.”

And it isn’t just in Arizona. Fearful of alienating Trump’s base in Georgia, Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.) over the weekend declined to answer multiple questions during a debate with the Rev. Raphael Warnock, her Democratic opponent, about whether it was wrong for Trump to attack Kemp — the governor who appointed her to her seat in 2019.

In New Hampshire, a small group of Republicans are openly discussing impeachment of Gov. Chris Sununu, a popular Republican who just won reelection in a landslide. The crime was his imposition of a coronavirus-related mask order, though the state party chair, Stephen Stepanek, defended the governor.

And in Massachusetts, Gov. Charlie Baker — who is highly popular in his state — has been hammering the president for his "wildly inappropriate" challenge of the election, while the GOP chair, Jim Lyons, advances the “Trump movement” in his heavily Democratic state.

Rob Gray, a veteran Republican strategist who advised Baker and three former Massachusetts governors — Mitt Romney, Paul Cellucci and Bill Weld — said the relationship between Baker and Lyons isn’t caustic, but “uncomfortable.”

“I would say the Trump element of the party here is a faction,” Gray said. “The push and pull on the party are Trump supporters versus [more moderate] Weld Republicans and practical institutionalist members of the Republican state committee.”

In red swaths of the country, that push and pull is heavily lopsided in Trump’s favor — and for good reason. Despite Trump’s loss last month, the GOP’s success in congressional and legislative races across the country was widely viewed as a testament to Trump’s appeal to voters previous Republicans have been unable to turn out — something state party chairs will be loath to let go.

Jeff Kaufmann, chair of the Iowa Republican Party, had planned to retire after the election, but said he intends to stay on in part because he sees the party expanding — with a coalition that will depend on maintaining “an element of our party that is populist, that is blue-collar. And that’s something that Trump gave to us.”

Kaufmann, a former Iowa state lawmaker who has been the state party chairman since 2014, said that “as the party chair, we have to ensure that Donald Trump’s attitude toward establishment-era politics” is maintained, describing part of that appeal as giving “the middle finger to the establishment.”

“The Mitt Romney-lites of the world, the Ben Sasse-lites of the world, they’re hanging on, they’re waiting, and they’re going to appear again, and they’re going to be well-funded,” Kaufmann said. “Whether it be 2024 or 2028, one way or another, we’re going to all have that ‘come to Jesus’ moment when we decide who do we want as our candidate again, and God help us if it’s a Mitt Romney-type again.”

Publicly, the national party is taking all comers for 2024. Last week, Ronna McDaniel, the chair of the Republican National Committee, invited about a dozen potential 2024 presidential candidates to the RNC’s meeting in Amelia Island, Fla., in what was widely viewed as a show of neutrality ahead of the next nominating process. Even if the party isn’t neutral, the rise of outside fundraising in recent years has diminished the significance of party organizations. And Trump’s romp through the 2016 primary field demonstrated the ability of a candidate to overcome the GOP’s existing infrastructure in the states.

“One of the best-kept secrets in politics today is that the party structure is not as relevant as it used to be, because each candidate is a free agent,” said Pat McCrory, the former Republican governor of North Carolina. “After the candidates are selected is when [the party] becomes more important to help get a ground game going.”

But in the run-up to the campaign, the deck will be stacked in favor of Trump — or candidates who are in his good graces. Many state party chairs who were viewed as disloyal to the president have been ousted since his 2016 election, and many chairs who were initially skeptical of Trump have been won over by his popularity with the party’s base.

“All of these people, ironically or brilliantly, Trump was able to unite, to a large extent,” Anuzis said. “The hawks got a defense build-up, the Rand Pauls got a pull-out from the Middle East, … conservatives got their judges. … You can go through there and see how he was very adept at dealing with the various constituencies and making people feel good.”

That goes from top to bottom — from the RNC down to state and county parties, as well as local clubs that remain instrumental in off-year voter registration efforts and in fielding down-ballot candidates.

In a measure of how deeply Trump’s influence penetrates in the states, Michael Burke, chair of the Republican Party in Pinal County, Arizona, sent Ducey a letter last month on behalf of 13 of the 15 Republican county chairs across Arizona that called for the governor to reconvene the legislature to address GOP concerns about the vote in that state.

Burke said the “chances are getting slimmer every day” that Trump will prevail in his challenges to the election. But regardless, Burke said, “it’s still Donald Trump’s party. He’s probably, I believe, going to be the most consequential former president in our lifetime.”

Of tension in the party, he said, “I think it will be long-lasting.”

State party chairs are tearing into their governors. Elected officials are knifing one another in the back. Failed candidates are seizing on Trump’s rhetoric to claim they were also victims of voter fraud in at least a half dozen states.

As his presidency comes to a close, Trump has not only imprinted his smash-mouth style on the GOP, he has wrenched open the schism between the activist class and the elected class, according to interviews with more than a dozen Republican Party officials and strategists in the states.

Yes, BUT, what we really need is 16 articles from Politico and the NYT on the inability for the Democrats to unify post-Trump - is the left going to torpedo Joe Biden's presidency and hand control to the Republicans in 2024?  STAY TUNED FOR OUR SHOCKING 6 PART SERIES.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

History will look back at this period of Republicanism and make direct comparisons to the Brownshirts and the rise of Hitler. 

OR Trump will return in 2024 and the comparison will be one we live, rather than read about.  In that scenario history will wipe away this silliness of debate in the making of laws (we are already here in the Senate) and electing leaders with democratic elections...

OR Trump will return in 2024

He will form his own party taking the lunatic 40% of voters with him. The centrist republicans that voted for Biden or held their nose and voted for for Trump will fall back in with the now moderate GOP. Centrist dems turned off by overly progressive policies sit out or fall in the new GOP camp. Dems are left with about 35% of the overall vote and lose to Trump in 2024.

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

He will form his own party taking the lunatic 40% of voters with him. The centrist republicans that voted for Biden or held their nose and voted for for Trump will fall back in with the now moderate GOP. Centrist dems turned off by overly progressive policies sit out or fall in the new GOP camp. Dems are left with about 35% of the overall vote and lose to Trump in 2024.

Yes, that sounds EXACTLY like what Joe Biden and a 50/50 or GOP senate will do.  Totally. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I think it's more likely the centrist Republicans go away and form their own party.  Trump owns the GOP now and has everything laid out in terms of funding, infrastructure, name, advertising, etc.  

Too much work to form a political party from scratch, and Trump is the laziest of the lazy.

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I think it's more likely the centrist Republicans go away and form their own party.  Trump owns the GOP now and has everything laid out in terms of funding, infrastructure, name, advertising, etc.  

Too much work to form a political party from scratch, and Trump is the laziest of the lazy.

There isn't going to be a party "split."  Stop indulging in such fantasy.  A split party wins little, and they all know that -- most of all, the establishment GOP knows that.  They know that if they want to win -- and that indeed is the ONLY thing that matters to them -- then they will experience a complete and total spiritual conversion, and become apostles in the Church of Trump the Exalted One.  There will be a GOP after this.  It will be whatever Trump wants it to be, and the simpering, pathetic historical GOP will bow their heads, bend their knee, and swear complete obedience.  They may even don a leather thong and a ball gag, to make their subservience clear.  There is no GOP anymore, just the party of Trump.  And it will survive, and even thrive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There isn't going to be a party "split."  Stop indulging in such fantasy.  A split party wins little, and they all know that -- most of all, the establishment GOP knows that.  They know that if they want to win -- and that indeed is the ONLY thing that matters to them -- then they will experience a complete and total spiritual conversion, and become apostles in the Church of Trump the Exalted One.  There will be a GOP after this.  It will be whatever Trump wants it to be, and the simpering, pathetic historical GOP will bow their heads, bend their knee, and swear complete obedience.  They may even don a leather thong and a ball gag, to make their subservience clear.  There is no GOP anymore, just the party of Trump.  And it will survive, and even thrive.

I don't know how probable this is, but let's go with it.  I think if they try and run him or his ilk again in 2024, especially after seeing Biden for 4 years actually being an adult, I have to imagine the Dems will win again.  More and more sane people will gravitate to the Dems as the right grows even more insane.

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't know how probable this is, but let's go with it.  I think if they try and run him or his ilk again in 2024, especially after seeing Biden for 4 years actually being an adult, I have to imagine the Dems will win again.  More and more sane people will gravitate to the Dems as the right grows even more insane.

You continue to assume that "unhinged and insane" isn't an attractive product for a group of voters who, if motivated (high turnout), can win national elections.  That assumption is wrong.  They have proven it wrong, twice.  This election was decided by a gnat's ass.  They can win the next one.

Edited by Brisketexan

I'm going with Brisket on this one. People get complacent and rage and especially impotent rage is a motivator for that group; the GOP just has to figure out which theme they want to roll out with their demographics. The lack of ethics makes it easy for the leaders to coalesce.

I mean, the Arizona GOP barely got an inclined head for their tweet; completely normalized that violence is just fine. I'm sure poisoning would not raise an eyebrow either.

Trump found like 10 million more voters this time around. Sure he lost, but it was pretty close in the swing states. The last lesson the GOP is going to take from this election is that the insanity is what cost them.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The centrist republicans that voted for Biden or held their nose and voted for for Trump will fall back in with the now moderate GOP. Centrist dems turned off by overly progressive policies sit out or fall in the new GOP camp.

I'm in the center. I don't agree with much of the "progressive policies" but I don't care. I'm mad as fuck and I will probably stay that way for at least a decade. There will be long-term consequences of Trump being President, and I don't foresee any of them as being good for the Republican Party. If they think this has a happy ending they haven't been paying attention.

I will never understand the Republican strategy of nominating and electing a corrupt, immoral, piece-of-shit failed businessman to become President of the United States. What the fuck were they thinking?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I'm in the center. I don't agree with much of the "progressive policies" but I don't care. I'm mad as fuck and I will probably stay that way for at least a decade. There will be long-term consequences of Trump being President, and I don't foresee any of them as being good for the Republican Party. If they think this has a happy ending they haven't been paying attention.

I will never understand the Republican strategy of nominating and electing a corrupt, immoral, piece-of-shit failed businessman to become President of the United States. What the fuck were they thinking?

They were thinking they liked how racist and horrible he was.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Bookman said:

They were thinking that it would work.  And they were right.  They were almost right twice.

39 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They were thinking they liked how racist and horrible he was.

They were also thinking this.  As noted by many others, naked racism, contempt for other human beings, and pathological lying may not be the values of ALL GOP voters.....but we know for sure that those things aren't dealbreakers for ANYONE who still votes GOP.

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

Pretty similar to Tech hiring Briles. Same mentality.

Humans are very complex with an unlimited capacity for compartmentalization.

Edited by Yuk

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I like the idea the they will be screaming at each other on social media that this or that candidate is not extreme right-wing enough. like this a lot.

Purity tests always work out well.

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And I have a feeling the Dems aren't going to slow down on GOTV and voter registration efforts, and the thought of Trump coming back in 2024 is going to motivate them even more.  Shitload of young people who aren't voting, who are going to be motivated or prodded.  Four years is a lot of time to study what Abrams did in Georgia and replicate that on some scale across the US.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And I have a feeling the Dems aren't going to slow down on GOTV and voter registration efforts, and the thought of Trump coming back in 2024 is going to motivate them even more.  Shitload of young people who aren't voting, who are going to be motivated or prodded.  Four years is a lot of time to study what Abrams did in Georgia and replicate that on some scale across the US.

The GOP is studying, too. Hence their diverse candidate slate this year. They like to have diversity up front while going with the vanilla creamsicles in the boardroom. If they get ahold of the WH and Congress again, that will stop. Don't ever forget that Miller is young and he's not going to go away. Plenty of the GOP stood round the bar singing drinking songs with him and raised their mugs in solidarity.

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

not sure if serious gif

The stuff I saw just keeps saying “suddenly” and “unexpectedly”. Those aren’t really COVID descriptors.  But if it’s COVID it’s COVID.  Further googling shows one paper saying “possibly COVID” and reports of him claiming a cold before his death. 

10 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The stuff I saw just keeps saying “suddenly” and “unexpectedly”. Those aren’t really COVID descriptors.  But if it’s COVID it’s COVID.  Further googling shows one paper saying “possibly COVID” and reports of him claiming a cold before his death. 

It is often very unexpected when a COVID patient who is only requiring nasal cannula O2 must be emergently intubated for respiratory support within the span of a few days. Unexpected, but not uncommon. After intubation, depending on comorbidities, labs, and disease progression, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Nevermind the fact that COVID can give you a stroke, pulmonary embolism, heart attack, pneumothorax (your lung pops, though this is usually because of the insane amount of pressure support that person is requiring on the vent), and a whole host of other problems. 

You know, just like the flu.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No it wasn't.  This election was an ass-whipping.

Not in the states that mattered.  I don't care that we win California by eleventy billion votes.  Battleground states are what matter.  They were close in 2016, they were close this time.  It's all too close.  There is NO broad repudiation of Trumpism.

9 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Seriously, this is on the level of when the guy yells out, "I've got a solution. You're a dick!" to President Camacho during his address to the House of Representin'.  

At least we know ahead of time who heckles Biden during the SOTU. 

36 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just wait until the State of the Union.

I fully expect some rep to stand up and tell Biden to fuck off during the speech.

Then Biden, (or Pelosi?) will tell the Sergeant at Arms to remove him from the chamber.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At least we know ahead of time who heckles Biden during the SOTU. 

And he won't be allowed to attend the SOTU, or any time Biden addresses Congress.

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not in the states that mattered.  I don't care that we win California by eleventy billion votes.  Battleground states are what matter.  They were close in 2016, they were close this time.  It's all too close.  There is NO broad repudiation of Trumpism.

All those swing states went more D this year than 2016. 

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult