Amazon prime recommendations

Washpark

007: Road to a Million. From the producers of James Bond. It’s like Amazing Race but instead of herding goats or stomping grapes there are nine pairs around the world to complete Bond-worthy stunts. Each team is independent and competing with themselves. Each can win a million pounds if they complete their tasks and answer questions. Great photography and exotic locations. 1 ep in but we’ll binge thru tomorrow and Saturday.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Any good ?

As said, not great, but isn't bad and is fun to watch, and honestly, the season 2 trailer makes it look like it will become great - think of how Foundation season 2 was better than season 1.  Some of the choices the show runners made in S1 will probably become very clear/be justified in S2.

The cast is solid, the FX are decent.

And no, you don't have to be familiar with the games or the books (and if you play the games and haven't read the books you're missing out).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 7:58 PM, ajax said:

Northern Exposure just hit Prime.

I noticed it last night when looking for something to watch.  I've been waiting for someone to pick it up for years.  I'm glad it's on something I already have.  I wonder if Prime is going to be adding other popular series to make the most of their new ads policy?  Greedy bastards. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got the ads popup for the first time yesterday.  It seems to be ~40 seconds of unskipable ads at the start of your program.  Not terrible but it feels like a kick in the balls out of nowhere.  $36 a year to go ad free...not a lot but for some reason I don't want to give it to them.  I will probably add Prime to my list of streaming services I pirate.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Are the ads only at the beginning? I can live with that. The blocks of ads during the shows are intolerable. 

Yeah I can easily live with 40 seconds of ads at the beginning only. Good time to settle my snacks, go pee, etc. 

I actually think it’s brilliant.  Netflix is already trying to push subscribers into an advertising tier and I bet the analytics are showing everyone else that they HAVE to do so to keep up and CAN do so under the cover of Netflix resetting the marketplace expectation. 

Plus, I’m convinced that Amazon programs for Gen X and older males almost primarily and we never got “unused” to broadcast commercials because we’re the prime sports audience consumers.  

On 1/30/2024 at 7:46 PM, Red Five said:

Are the ads only at the beginning? I can live with that. The blocks of ads during the shows are intolerable. 

Cross posting.  I think it's Peacock that not only has ads in the middle of the show, but places them in the middle of a sentence at times.  I watched Lonesome Dove last month.  The show had ads smack-dab in the middle of Gus waxing philosophical.  Really ruined some scenes.  I run into the same problem with listening to something on YouTube.  Yes, I get it.  They make money off of ads, and I'm not paying for the music.  I just wish there was a way to watch a really long ad up front, then enjoy the show or succession of songs.

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cross posting.  I think it's Peacock that not only has ads in the middle of the show, but places them in the middle of a sentence at times.  I watched Lonesome Dove last month.  The show had ads smack-dab in the middle of Gus waxing philosophical.  Really ruined some scenes.  I run into the same problem with listening to something on YouTube.  Yes, I get it.  They make money off of ads, and I'm not paying for the music.  I just wish there was a way to watch a really long ad up front, then enjoy the show or succession of songs.

if you watch a movie on peacock (and some of the other ad-supported platforms) they will give you like 3-4 min of continuous ads at the beginning and then an uninterrupted movie experience, which isn't bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

if you watch a movie on peacock (and some of the other ad-supported platforms) they will give you like 3-4 min of continuous ads at the beginning and then an uninterrupted movie experience, which isn't bad.

Thanks.  I'll have to check it out.  

6 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My tier of Hulu does this too. I preferentially look for stuff on other services because it’s such a nuisance 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

My tier of Hulu does this too. I preferentially look for stuff on other services because it’s such a nuisance 

Hulu base tier doesn't put any thought into ad placement in natural stopping points.  Even on shows like Abbott Elementary that are originally edited for commercial breaks they will go to ads mid sentence.  

Prime video have revealed The Grand Tour: Sand Job featuring dream team Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May will launch on February 16.

On Thursday, Prime unveiled its first look of the special episode as the cheeky trio travel to the wild and remote country of Mauritania in West Africa, for their biggest challenge yet.

Their challenge is to follow in the footsteps of the world's most dangerous race, the iconic Paris-Dakar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I started Mr. & Mrs. Smith last night. A bit slow at times maybe but I’m enjoying it. 

Just finished the first episode. Thought they did a good job with introducing the characters and setting up the season.

• Like 1

bump for mr and mrs smith.  4 eps in and enjoying it.  for those unaware, they dropped the whole first season at once.

not really a spoiler, but in the movie they were hitmen/contract killers/assassins, yes?  and the movie was more of a shoot 'em up, almost comic-book-style action movie.  in the trailer i just posted, this looks similar.  but halfway through, and it isn't.  in fact one of the reasons i like it is because they're more like spies than assassins, at least from where i am.

also they've done a great job with guest stars.

50 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bump for mr and mrs smith.  4 eps in and enjoying it.  for those unaware, they dropped the whole first season at once.

not really a spoiler, but in the movie they were hitmen/contract killers/assassins, yes?  and the movie was more of a shoot 'em up, almost comic-book-style action movie.  in the trailer i just posted, this looks similar.  but halfway through, and it isn't.  in fact one of the reasons i like it is because they're more like spies than assassins, at least from where i am.

I finished it earlier this week and enjoyed it a lot. I'm glad they spent so much time focused on their relationship and thought the chemistry between the two leads seemed authentic. Pretty good shot at there being a second season.

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

The original was a 1941 Hitchcock screwball comedy.

19 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Yikes. Gonna have to disagree there.

• the 1/2 Japanese girl is not really attractive and is a strange pairing for Glover
  • the sheer amount of relationship/feelings talk was exhausting
  • an international spy living in NYC doesn't know what Sotheby's is?
Spoiler

1. agreed, i don't think she's cute at all, and her personality kinda sucked.  though they paid that off pretty well (she's a sociopath).  they're an odd pairing to be sure and i think that's what they were going for.  would've been nice to be paired up with eiza.

2. i wrote what i wrote after ep4.  ep6 was the therapist episode and was like an anchor that accidentally fell through the boat.  i understand narratively why it needed to be done, as they had to make them "hate" each other by ep8.  but yeah, the back half hit differently than the front and that episode was a beating.

3. he was obviously from baltimore and was kinda "dumb", or however they played it.  i can see in the heat of the moment (after seeing the pics) when you think he's working for someone in your industry, being emotional and not getting it right away and i thought dano's obsession with the property was pretty funny.  all my friends in real estate slip into mode like that in social situations whenever they hear/see something that crosses over into their world.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:08 PM, LCHorn said:

I actually think it’s brilliant.  Netflix is already trying to push subscribers into an advertising tier and I bet the analytics are showing everyone else that they HAVE to do so to keep up and CAN do so under the cover of Netflix resetting the marketplace expectation.

Plus, I’m convinced that Amazon programs for Gen X and older males almost primarily and we never got “unused” to broadcast commercials because we’re the prime sports audience consumers.  

Netflix has many more viewers than Amazon. Amazon will claim they have almost as many viewers because of the number of prime members but their shows -- outside of the NFL -- get a fraction of the streaming. For example, Reacher s1 had ~one-eighth the viewership of Night Agent measured by streaming hours. And that was before Netflix's password sharing cut off https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/amazons-most-viewed-series-behind-the-numbers-for-prime-video-originals-1235165556

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/netflix-statistics-facts-figures/

Amazon thinks the ads are free money but the presence of ads will only raise the floor on the quality of show I'm willing to watch on their service. Given the paucity of what they offer they're going to need to step it up. It feels very bare-bones since they off-loaded so much to mgm and freevee. The problem amazon has is that because netflix has so many more viewers, it's where the other studios and distributors want to stream their product; prime tv is fighting what appears to be a losing battle

My experience with their ads thus far was when I tried to watch an obscure film. They inserted the ads at transitions but it felt like each of the 3 ad sessions cut off a portion of the film. Eight of the 9 total ads they showed me were for amazon itself which seems like adding insult to injury. The only one that wasn't was for sports betting. They don't appear to have many non-NFL advertisers yet so the timing and frequency of ads could change (become more aggressive, more frequent and more annoying like broadcast tv) if there's an advertiser influx.

Edited by Chopper

On 2/12/2024 at 8:38 PM, henrygandorf said:

i cruised through mr and mrs smith over the weekend and got an ad for an amazon show before each episode.  is that what they meant by ads?  i never got an ad mid-show.  maybe only movies are like that?

They make a point to specify you're watching Mr & Mrs Smith "With Limited Advertising." IOW it's not as bad as it will be after they finish easing their way into it. I don't know about other tv series but it definitely impacts some movies negatively.

We're on like ep 4 of M/Mrs Smith. Donald Glover's character is so fucking idiotic the show doesn't keep my attention. I can see why Phoebe Waller-Bridge walked off the set after 6 months.

Edited by Chopper

Finishing up Mr. And Mrs. Smith.  

This has been an interesting watch for me.  I think the writing and acting is really good.  They two leads have a good chemistry but after watching the final few episodes, they've become insufferable and I hope they die in the finale. 

On 2/19/2024 at 6:04 PM, shakahorn said:

Expats is pretty watchable.  Set in Hong Kong about a bunch of...American expats.  Nicole Kidman stars along with Jack Huston.

It moves slow. Downloaded the finale for the plane tomorrow 

Been spending more time looking for movies to watch and I have found Prime to be more worthy than Netflix, for my taste. The past 3 weeks

Buffalo 66

The Burial

Lonesome Dove

Doc

Tres Lounge

Gold

Peanut Butter Falcon

The Good Heart

Before the Devil Knows you're Dead

The Lost City of Z

The Westerner

Maybe for my gen x ass, Prime is just better, I don't know. I get more hits on Prime than I do elsewhere. 

On 2/1/2024 at 12:48 AM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Yeah, I ended up upgrading my Hulu account because it was driving me insane.  And they up the frequency of ads the further into the show you are.

• 2 weeks later...