Zach Smith is a stupid, disgusting piece of shit.

Beau Vine

The Columbus Dispatch decided to start questioning the why's.

Spoiler

By Theodore Decker 

Columbus Dispatch 

Posted Dec 13, 2018 at 5:33 AMUpdated Dec 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM

Forget about the football for a moment.

Forget about Urban Meyer and what he did or didn’t know about the tumultuous home life of Courtney and Zach Smith, Meyer’s former wide receivers coach.

Forget that Zach Smith is the grandson of the late Earle Bruce.

Forget all of that for now. Set all of it aside.

Look at this instead as a routine report of domestic violence involving regular people. Courtney Smith went to the Powell Police Department on Oct. 26, 2015, to report that on the previous night, her husband had berated her, cornered her in a bedroom so she couldn’t leave, shoved her and left with their son. She went on to report a pattern of abuse and threats dating back years, including several instances in which, she said, he had strangled her.

Complete coverage: Urban Meyer/Zach Smith investigation

Without all the Ohio State trappings, this case would not have made headlines. Cases like it have resulted in misdemeanor charges of domestic violence, assault or menacing, maybe unlawful restraint.

What happened instead was a game of legal hot potato that persisted until police marked the cases closed in 2017. The court-ordered release of hundreds of pages of police records this week after a challenge by The Dispatch leaves plenty of questions unanswered.

Officer Ben Boruchowitz took Courtney Smith’s first statement when she showed up on Oct. 26, 2015.

“She’s petrified, and I really believe her,” Boruchowitz told a prosecutor by phone. ”... Based on the degree of violence that he’s done against her, you and I both know when there’s strangling and choking and those kinds of violence, (they) are pretty good indicators that there’s a high chance he may actually follow through with it.”

Nancy Neylon, executive director of the Ohio Domestic Violence Network, is struck by that remark.

“That is exactly precise,” Neylon said. Domestic-violence victims with a history of non-fatal strangulation are seven times more likely to be killed, she said.

Records indicate that the officer contacted victim advocates, followed up with prosecutors and helped arrange for Courtney Smith to seek a civil protection order.

But after the discussion with a prosecutor, Boruchowitz told Courtney Smith that he could charge her husband with disorderly conduct, a minor misdemeanor that carries no possible jail time. The records indicate that she declined, although the decision to charge a crime always rests with police and prosecutors, not with victims.

Within a few weeks, Powell police had passed the investigation’s results on to Delaware County Prosecutor Carol O’Brien for possible indictment on felony domestic violence and felonious assault charges. O’Brien said there wasn’t enough evidence to present the case to a grand jury.

What about misdemeanors? A Delaware city spokesman said police didn’t ask the city prosecutor to file misdemeanor charges, and a police spokeswoman said the department wouldn’t talk about such strategic decisions made back then.

This is fact: Police file charges without consulting prosecutors all the time. All day, every day.

The longer you look at the sheer volume of the records, it becomes harder to reconcile how not a single misdemeanor charge was filed against Zach Smith in 2015.

Neylon described it as legal “tiptoeing” that suggests that who Zach Smith was might have superseded what he was accused of doing.

“I don’t know why there wasn’t at least a misdemeanor domestic violence (charge) in this case,” she said.

In October, Zach Smith pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct to resolve a 2018 trespassing case. It was this case, in which he was accused of violating a protection order involving his now-ex-wife, that had led the media to sniff out the couple’s history.

In November, O’Brien addressed state legislators in the Statehouse, calling for a law that would make domestic violence involving strangulation rise to the level of a felony.

“Given that there is no genuine dispute as to the dangers of strangulation, the proposed legislation would be a welcome boon to prosecutors across the state,” she said.

In the Powell police report to O’Brien from 2015, Courtney Smith described at least five instances in which Zach Smith had strangled her.

Courtney Smith was dismissed by a share of Buckeye Nation this summer as vindictive, manipulative, stupid and crazy.

“She’s not crazy,” Neylon said. “It’s the system that’s crazy.”

tdecker@dispatch.com

@Theodore_Decker

https://www.dispatch.com/news/20181213/theodore-decker-why-didnt-zach-smith-face-domestic-violence-charges

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

And another video

I'm thinking zach will have numerous job offers very soon.

You know, despite the bad taste it's left in this country's mouth, there are certain situations where I feel like a good ol' fashioned public hanging is appropriate. 

Not suggesting or condoning anything, just laying that thought out there. 

I’m sorry, did he declare his desire to parlay this wonderful family dynamic into a podcast?   

Zach—-you are the reason your wife, your children, and Urban Meyer all have heart palpitations at night.  You are the worst person in Columbus Ohio and you have no real appreciation for what an awful title that is considering the shitstain that town is.  

You know how you sorta check yourself when you start judging people who you think may be a danger to themselves?  You take a step back and remind yourself you're not a qualified professional, you don't really know what you're doing, and sure that person seems unstable and sad and angry at themselves...but then again lots of people are like that and suicide isn't always the inevitable next step.  

Zach Smith is going to be dead in less than five years.  And very likely by his own hand.  

56 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You know how you sorta check yourself when you start judging people who you think may be a danger to themselves?  You take a step back and remind yourself you're not a qualified professional, you don't really know what you're doing, and sure that person seems unstable and sad and angry at themselves...but then again lots of people are like that and suicide isn't always the inevitable next step.  

Zach Smith is going to be dead in less than five years.  And very likely by his own hand.  

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

I feel bad for his kid.. Those are hard videos to listen to.. 

That's why I wouldn't listen.

As funny as Zach Smith continuously showing his ass on Twitter is, I have to distance myself from the reality that the man is a family abuser and his kids probably live in perpetual fear of him.  I want no part of actual video/audio of their interactions. 

21 hours ago, Machinator said:

"Last year Zach asked me to set up a blog. Wanting to protect the world from being exposed to Zach's brain, I opened a word document on his computer and put an address on top. www.zachthoughts.gov.www\zachthoughts."

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Based on posts from OSU boards that have been shared here, and tweets I see from time to time, there is definitely a tiny-yet-frighteningly-loyal audience of OSU fans who would lap up a Zach Smith podcast.

Probably true, assuming that by "podcast" you mean "puddle of jizz".

1 hour ago, Deej said:

"Last year Zach asked me to set up a blog. Wanting to protect the world from being exposed to Zach's brain, I opened a word document on his computer and put an address on top. www.zachthoughts.gov.www\zachthoughts."

The frightening thing is how much time he spends arguing with "those jerks who post bizarre comments on my site".

• 3 months later...