Official Surly - Texas at Kansas Game Thread

Vertigo

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I missed the early part of the game, but looking at the video from ESPN, did the refs review that 11 yd run by Pooka Williams where his knee looks like it hit the ground?

No, but they did review and overturn Sam getting sacked when there was no clear view his knee actually hit.

What he said...everyone would be happy as  can be with 9-3 and a shot at the conference title in the second year with what looks like two great recruiting years in a row.    Sucks to know how close we came to 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0...easily freaked by how close we were to 6-6

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It has been a rollercoaster of a year, and I’ll admit it got to me, but dammit everyone should be ecstatic about where we sit right now as a program, in recruiting, and this year overall.

I'm ecstatic.. I was fearing a tight game going into things, but the seemingly silly fouls, lack of calls on fouls, play calling, general weirdness of the game was playing with my emotions. Damn happy now to put that shit behind us.

Let's go.. ride or die... I think we can beat both OU and WV but would rather see us wipe the smile off Grier's face and get some revenge. We have unfinished business with WV.. fuck OU, we already beat that dog. HookEm!

Final Score:

W 24-17

First Downs:
Texas – 19
KU – 14

Third Down Conversions
Texas – 6-15
KU – 9-18

Total Yards:
Texas - 297
KU - 296

Passing:
Texas – 16-28, 154 yds, 2TD, 2 int
KU - 18-35, 159 yards, 1TD, int

Rushing:
Texas - 41-143, 3.5 ypc, TD
KU - 33-137, 4.2 ypc, TD

Texas – 34:49
KU – 25:11

Turnovers:
Texas - 2
KU - 1

Penalties:
Texas – 4-35
KU – 9-98

Obviously Sam wasn't 100%, but we did enough to win.
Limited Kansas' explosive plays especially in the passing game, and played disciplined possession ball.

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It has been a rollercoaster of a year, and I’ll admit it got to me, but dammit everyone should be ecstatic about where we sit right now as a program, in recruiting, and this year overall.

Win next week and the word ecstatic will apply. 

The performance of Texas thus far qualifies as expected. Win 11 and the term, mind blown, will apply.

We should have blown Kansas out today.  We didn’t but we still hung in to win against what is obviously an improved Kansas team playing for their lame duck coach on Senior day.  I’ll take the win and the berth in the big 12 cg in a season that obviously shows we are better physically and mentally(4th quarters excepted). We come out with a 10 win season then It’s Been a roaring success!

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Is Herman perfect? No. But no coach or player is. I just wanted a win today. On the road in the conference for a chance to go to the first Big 12 title game in almost a decade. Wasn't pretty but I never thought the game was in doubt. Enjoy the win and kick back and watch WVU/OU tonight to see whom we play. People were so fickle today. Talking about losing any time any play went against us.

Pos rep for using “whom”.

What he said...everyone would be happy as  can be with 9-3 and a shot at the conference title in the second year with what looks like two great recruiting years in a row.    Sucks to know how close we came to 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0...easily freaked by how close we were to 6-6
100% this. It's the natural progression. Last year was marred by a bunch of single digit losses. This year we are winning those same types of games.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It's possible the big 12 is a league with a lot of good teams this year, so much so that even Kansas is improved. We should all be happy that we have broken out of the doldrums and are playing for a conference championship. Things are looking up for Texas.

Everyone with the mentality of "we suck if we don't dominate shitty Kansas" or "we should be elite bc our uniform has the word Texas on it" are missing the fucking point. It's hard to do well, it doesn't happen bc of the name on the Jersey or because you should, you have to make it happen. And we should be enjoying it.

Getting to the ccg is very positive. A lot of teams that are kind of equal? Probably. League full of good teams? Nope.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ckhorn said:

We will take it, but Herman needs to bring a veteran coach on his staff that can help his teams be more consistent. He and his coaches obviously have not figured it out and I'm going back to his time at Houston. There is always game or two a year teams have let downs, but damn. We can't do it consistently quarter to quarter.

I think Herb is the man on offense. 

Maybe need a new badass on defense?

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

In general I think the refs have been fine this season. The replay officials on the other hand have absolutely had a negative Texas bias. 

Well, they only called holding on our defensive line once, and they didn't "bump into" Herman, so i guess that's great success.

In all seriousness I do think they were better about calling holding, both for and against. Better = they called it once in a while.

Edited by Thetexashammer

48 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I think Herb is the man on offense. 

Maybe need a new badass on defense?

It's just not a defensive issue, but yes. If there is an opening. Its on defense. Overall, I think its program issue.

Whats the guy that came San Jose State during Mack's time. We where a soft as Charmin and in no time, we were spitting nails. Herman is still young. If he isn't too Mensa he will figure it out, although being Mensa seems to get in the way.

3 hours ago, Specktrout said:

lol on the 1st part.

Why? Sure Texas has some issues. And Alabama has a great team. But, what team have they played that could really put pressure on their defense? Texas does have receivers that can control space, they go zone, Texas wins that match up. We can also RPO far more efficiently then any team they have played this year. As good as LSU defense may be. Bama could load up knowing there was little to no threat of a vertical passing game. Which is pretty much what they did. There were plays were all 11 defenders were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Flip it over and ask what does Alabama do that Texas hasn’t seen? Run power? I think that plays into Texas’ strength. And Tua biggest play is pretty much a simplified version of what most big 12 teams run. 

In fact the intangible is Sam. Healthy he presents Alabama their biggest problem. Because they must respect the Texas passing game, and have to play man. They go zone and Texas would move up and down the field on them. In a man to man scheme shifts the point of attack numbers to Texas on called QB run plays.

All that said. If they played next week and you asked me to bet on who do I take? I would take Texas. And I very well may lose. But I think it would be a good game. And I wouldn’t be shocked if Texas won.

12 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Why? Sure Texas has some issues. And Alabama has a great team. But, what team have they played that could really put pressure on their defense? Texas does have receivers that can control space, they go zone, Texas wins that match up. We can also RPO far more efficiently then any team they have played this year. As good as LSU defense may be. Bama could load up knowing there was little to no threat of a vertical passing game. Which is pretty much what they did. There were plays were all 11 defenders were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Flip it over and ask what does Alabama do that Texas hasn’t seen? Run power? I think that plays into Texas’ strength. And Tua biggest play is pretty much a simplified version of what most big 12 teams run. 

In fact the intangible is Sam. Healthy he presents Alabama their biggest problem. Because they must respect the Texas passing game, and have to play man. They go zone and Texas would move up and down the field on them. In a man to man scheme shifts the point of attack numbers to Texas on called QB run plays.

All that said. If they played next week and you asked me to bet on who do I take? I would take Texas. And I very well may lose. But I think it would be a good game. And I wouldn’t be shocked if Texas won.

wuuuuuut...Hey man, I love your optimism, but wow. Alabama would ass rap us and they would make us pay for every mistake we make(and we make multiple mistakes every game)  We won 9 games . Fucking awesome but lets not start sucking each other's dicks . 

Beat ALabama smh....for fucks sake. I like it and im going ot continue to drink until I agree with your thinking because im enjoying life right now. 

Edited by nineliveslost
They would ass rape us also
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

Bama's dline would absolutely destroy our oline

CkHorn

"Whats the guy that came San Jose State during Mack's time. We where a soft as Charmin and in no time, we were spitting nails. Herman is still young. If he isn't too Mensa he will figure it out, although being Mensa seems to get in the way."

You are referring to Dick Tomey, former head coach at Hawaii and Arizona (pre-Texas) and San Jose (post Texas) who Mack Brown brought to UT in to analyze the program and to act as assistant head coach and DE coach.  Essentially, Tomey told Brown that the team's strength and conditioning was lousy, especially among linemen, and that practices were not properly organized and were "soft". Tomey assumed a significant role in team conditioning and practice routine, leading to a record of 11-1 with Rose Bowl win over Michigan).  

Brown also brought in Greg Robinson as co-DC.

Robinson and Tomey were no nonsense ass kickers who improved matters dramatically.  Doubtful Vince and crew win the NC without their influence.

Unfortunately, Tomey and Robinson stuck around a single year, and after winning the NC, Brown and the staff reverted to prior form and Texas lost the hard edge that Tomey and Robinson honed. The offensive line in particular declined dramatically after 2005. Soft as Charmin is an apt description.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Simkins Rat said:

CkHorn

"Whats the guy that came San Jose State during Mack's time. We where a soft as Charmin and in no time, we were spitting nails. Herman is still young. If he isn't too Mensa he will figure it out, although being Mensa seems to get in the way."

You are referring to Dick Tomey, former head coach at Hawaii and Arizona (pre-Texas) and San Jose (post Texas) who Mack Brown brought to UT in to analyze the program and to act as assistant head coach and DE coach.  Essentially, Tomey told Brown that the team's strength and conditioning was lousy, especially among linemen, and that practices were not properly organized and were "soft". Tomey assumed a significant role in team conditioning and practice routine, leading to a record of 11-1 with Rose Bowl win over Michigan).  

Brown also brought in Greg Robinson as co-DC.

Robinson and Tomey were no nonsense ass kickers who improved matters dramatically.  Doubtful Vince and crew win the NC without their influence.

Unfortunately, Tomey and Robinson stuck around a single year, and after winning the NC, Brown and the staff reverted to prior form and Texas lost the hard edge that Tomey and Robinson honed. The offensive line in particular declined dramatically after 2005. Soft as Charmin is an apt description.

great points.  Just looked him up, he is retired, age 80.  Need to repeat the process with a younger version of Tomey to do the consulting.  Mensa might talk to Mack about the idea during off-season. 

9-3, in the Big 12 title game, having already beaten the gooners?  Who would have expressed the slightest displeasure at this outcome in August, or especially after Maryland ?

The problem I have is how we look in the 4th.  We probably have the most in-game experience at fielding onside kicks in the conference, maybe the country.   

Nice problem to have.  Now correct it!