Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Isn’t the west still paying Russia $650M per day for oil and gas? I had a hella work day so I’m a thousand posts behind on this thread and haven’t caught up on the news, but as of yesterday the sanctions carved out energy.

It'll be impossible to cut off all buyers as some countries won't give a fuck. By reducing the number of willing buyers it puts Russia in a bad bargaining position on price. And they won't sell as much as they would be otherwise. 

Crippling their economy and seizing all western assets is the play that's really going to drive unrest amongst the people with the ability to take him out. 

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Modern satellite technology removed all that guesswork, though, and now Russia could theoretically pick and choose their targets just before launch.

Maybe they’ll feel sorry for the Longhorn football fans and think the folks in Austin have suffered enough.

54 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

We don't even know if Dead Hand is truly offline. Dead Hand is the guaranteed "final strike" mechanism the Soviets had. If the system detected a nuclear conflict and did not periodically receive a signal telling it that Russian command was still operational, it automatically launched a retaliatory strike. There are various views on the Intel behind it and some think that such a system doesn't exist, but it was still a potential issue with a successful decapitation strike.

the fools. the mad fools. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

My old man and I did IAH-SYD nonstop (17.5 hours) in November 19 for a long weekend to say that we did and to pub crawl with some coworkers from Melbourne and Sydney. 

Well timed because then Covid happened. 

For some reason I even decided to watch garbage football down there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dc49a206f677515ea8c8ce110b766640.jpeg

You mean Big 12 Champion and Sugar Bowl Champion football!

12 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

My old man and I did IAH-SYD nonstop (17.5 hours) in November 19 for a long weekend to say that we did and to pub crawl with some coworkers from Melbourne and Sydney. 

Well timed because then Covid happened. 

For some reason I even decided to watch garbage football down there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dc49a206f677515ea8c8ce110b766640.jpeg

The rocks!

* right behind the bridge is that amusement park with the really large clown face overlooking the harbor you can see for miles. 

i dont know why but that fucking thing still shows up in my nightmares. Weird. 

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

This is the most fucked up war. Hey Ukraine, no one is going to come fight with you but here’s some guns and oh by the way we’re gonna keep giving your enemy, the most evil global leader since Hitler, $4B a week to keep financing the war against you.

This is going to get way way worse before it’s all over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Their conventional force has been an underfunded paper tiger for years. They were no more capable of driving on Paris prior to Ukraine than they were of swearing off Vodka for the year. 

I do fear their cyber abilities, and I’m sure they could get more than a few ICBM’s pickled off if need be. 

Take out our power grid for a month and the majority of the country dies of exposure, sickness and starvation. 

Yeah. I've been involved in power production since I was 21.  When I got to the commercial side I was like holy fuck.  We are ripe for disaster.  Most nukes who get out of the navy go get their engineering degrees or end up on commercial power or data centers. Our skill set translates.  We are scared shitless of a hack.  Any facility with SCADA which is all is open to a hack.  IT is a loss center so no one wants to throw money in it.  ERCOT gets this huge blame in Texas but no one actually knows what ERCOT is.  They are just the scapegoat.  

Look at Texas during Harvey.  We had power.  That's why we didn't riot.  We couldn't go anywhere.  Ice storm same thing.  We lose the grid and have open roads it would be chaos beyond anything.

• Hook 'Em 4

59 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:
The amount of people that don’t realize you fly over the North Pole to get to Asia, not across the Pacific is both an indictment of our Geography teaching AND the Mercator projection. 

Not all flights. I've flown to east Asia a bunch and never flown over the north pole.

I think the only flight I took over the north pole was Chicago to Hong Kong.

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

The rocks!

* right behind the bridge is that amusement park with the really large clown face overlooking the harbor you can see for miles. 

i dont know why but that fucking thing still shows up in my nightmares. Weird. 

Oh shit. I’m glad I never ventured that far. I did do the bridge tour and climb the first time I visited Sydney but thankfully I missed that damn clown. 

There is a great pub in the rocks called The Glenmore that I’ve spent a decent amount of time at. The rooftop was always great for lunch after flying all night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BamaATL said:

remember where did a lot of testing?  Yeah

Area 51 is targeted, but not sure they'd destroy much because it must be hardened somehow like Cheyenne Mountain is.

But yeah, all the test nuke craters, nor Austin, NV, or Ely, NV, nor the Fallon Range Training Complex in central Nevada aren't targeted, nor the Trinity Site nor old Walker AFB (Roswell) in New Mexico.

I'm amazed that Holloman AFB, New Mexico, an active base, isn't targeted. Laughlin AFB in Texas is targeted, but Holloman isn't. Weird.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The problem with compromising our power grid is not knowing how long it would take to restore.  If you told Texans up front, "It's gonna be down for four weeks, be safe, we'll have distribution centers, don't get crazy"...we'd come together and work it out.  If you only know it was a month in hindsight after 10,000 people got shot for no reason, well...that'd be a problem.  

I don't believe that.  If our grid went out.  Massive looting would start.  

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I don't believe that.  If our grid went out.  Massive looting would start.  

It already went out recently, for a long while.  And massive looting didn't start.  

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Keep this on Russia and Ukraine. This isn't a what if we get nuked thread. Good thread to start though. 

Sorry this is usually when there ain't shit happening until 10 PM when it is day break in Ukraine where we get actual news so it's a bunch of conjecture.

8 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If you’ve ever been to Ely or Elko, you’d take the apocalypse. 

I've had fun in both. Does that make me Surly 1%?  Don't even get me started on Winnemucca. 

Edited by pops
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

If you’ve ever been to Ely or Elko, you’d take the apocalypse. 

I have been to Ely, Austin, and Fallon, Nevada! I had a great chicken fried steak dinner in Hotel Nevada's restaurant the last time I was through Ely, traversing "The Loneliest Road In America," US Highway 50.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, FartingMonk said:

Sorry this is usually when there ain't shit happening until 10 PM when it is day break in Ukraine where we get actual news so it's a bunch of conjecture.

Yeah just keep it on Russia Ukraine not on domestic nuke talk lol. 

Just now, FartingMonk said:

Most stuff seems to happen around 9:00pm CT. Tonight, though, with the State of the Union, there won't be anything about the conflict on TV.

1 minute ago, pops said:

I've had fun in both. Does that make me Surly 1%?

Depends on how much you won at the Prospector!

I did long rotations at both towns for work and didn’t really like either of them despite being from a desert city. The Basques in Elko were good folks at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Weren't they saying Putin had a strict order to take Kyiv by Monday? And now it's 445 am Wednesday and they still don't even have Kharkiv? Putin should take his ball and go home

And that's why I'm so optimist.  Just about every dire prediction made, by the experts and especially on this board, has not come true.  Or not yet.  When an entire NATION can stare down the most evil man in the World, and still be optimistic, I bet Surly can too.

• Hook 'Em 1