Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

12 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

The DoD transitioned to Risk Management Framework for Cyber 4 or 5 years ago, sounds like it’s based on the same NIST/CNNSI guidance. My program was in the first block of systems to switch over from DIACAP.  They gave us a 12 month timeline and it took almost 2 years to get our ATO. It was and is a nightmare on the DoD side to implement because of the diversity of systems and the gov’ts need to apply templates and standards which doesn’t fit everybody. One of the key parts of the NIST framework is tailoring controls, which of course the DoD wouldn’t allow.

RMF is pretty straight forward on the enterprise side, standard users on standard networks. On the tactical side things get squirrely fast. Our system was a command and control suite that flew around in the back of a Blackhawk, but got on the colored networks through comsat links.  Big army decreed anyone touching SIPR was immediately a high, high, med system. That meant we had untailored HHM controls applied to an ad hoc system, in a helicopter, in a tactical environment. Super fun. 

Controls are how you fix or mitigate a vulnerability, and they cover everything. Policy, physical security, logistics, auditing, budget, personnel, technical, etc.  IIRC our system had 1200ish controls, and within a control there can be up to 15 tasks.  Tailoring controls removes any that obviously don’t fit that system. You can’t remove it because it’s hard or you want to speed things up, but if a control says “the building will have a fire suppression system that activates within x seconds” and your system isn’t in a building, obviously you can tailor that out. That’s how it’s supposed to work, but again, DoD didn’t want systems purging controls that were hard and the volume of systems didn’t allow any real visibility from the top to approve/deny tailoring, so they just threw out the tailoring step entirely.  So back to the Blackhawk example, yep, I had to mitigate why my system didn’t have a fire suppression in the building that is a Blackhawk in my Plan of Actions & Milestones (POAM), which gets reviewed and updated quarterly.

One of the biggest strengths of RMF is closing all the “someone else is responsible for that control” loopholes that plagued DIACAP, and cybersecurity as a whole. On tactical systems we would say that a higher NOC did a bunch of stuff, and that the owning tactical unit was responsible for all the user level stuff, and wipe our hands of it even though we knew units rarely enforced passwords properly, or patched AV on schedule, etc. Now you have to show your work. If someone inherits a control, it flows up or down to their system and gets rolled into their evaluation as well. So if the unit gets evaluated and isn’t doing X controls, they fail, and that failure flows into your system and can trigger a failure for you as well. That’s the academic version of how it’s supposed to be. In reality the Army has realized it’s just too big and hard on the tactical side so there is a lot of leeway being given to systems and vulnerabilities are being left open because of budget (fix this new vuln now, but your budget was already set for the next 5 years and can’t be changed, good luck), or lack of oversight on the hundreds of potential systems, and thousands of implantations at the unit level. The elephant in the room is also on the logistics side.  Supply chain protection is a massive part of RMF, and practically impossible to achieve with foreign manufacturing, JIT logistics, and now Covid impacts to the supply chain.

I took the long way around to get to this question (for the NERC guys, shady just provided a convenient roll up). Is the NERC implementation pretty tight top to bottom, or do you have similar issues? I would think it’s much more standard wrt the network side (all one color network, pretty standard enterprise guidance, etc), but all the local control/access still leaves some big holes (giggity) to be exploited. Sloppy admin rights or password policies leads to elevated rights, which leads to attack vector, which leads to yada yada.  

raw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The only thing that slowed him down was that he was paying for each 50 cent beer with individual hand-written checks. You could tell he was having trouble with the Roman alphabet, too. So he'd get a beer, down the hatch, and spend the next five minutes trying to write checks for 50 cents. I finally took pity on him and gave him about $3 and told him to party on.

Sarcastic Uh Huh GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Making random people from Russia the “enemy” is stupid. 
Making random people from Ukraine suffer because Russia has a shitty leader is stupid. It's a shame that what might be otherwise decent, random citizens from Russia have to endure the economic pain brought on by their leader's actions, but we have no other avenue of retribution against Putin. We have to take away his money, national identity, and prestige. Then, hopefully, the people will take his power.
  • Hook 'Em 5

51 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Did you do too much breakdancing as a young man or something?  Seems really young. Apologies if the real reason was a traumatic event, like clown rape or falling out of a tree. 

Football, initially misdiagnosed, killed blood supply to socket, killed all the cartilage in my hip.  It’s a long story.

sorry for the derailment.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Football, initially misdiagnosed, killed blood supply to socket, killed all the cartilage in my hip.  It’s a long story.

sorry for the derailment.

So you basically had a usage injury that led to a Legg-Perthes situation.   I had Legg-Perthes as a kid (resulting from a major growth spurt).  I'll have to have a hip replacement sometime in the next 4-8 years more than likely.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Checking in this morning: are there other significant developments besides:

-Nicole is still holding on but running out of booze

-The 40km column has been halted by drones

-Kherson has fallen

No you pretty much nailed it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yes, and the latter is what makes me think that.

The other thing is the real Russian analysts speak of this "Russian grievance" about being disregarded by the West and having their territory chopped up.  And that this justifies imperialism with atrocity (as if there's some other kind).  Putin may believe that, but I actually kind of doubt it.  I think Putin is all about Putin and the fact that he starts a wag the dog war every couple of years before he stands election lately means that he uses that "Russian grievance" to galvanize the Russian people behind him.

It's a completely retrograde and illiberal notion that started going out of favor in the 17th-18th centuries.  Even their burst of "modern" thinking with Communism was shot through with imperial ambitions.

I think SLX is right, and xenophobia (kind of at the root of all of this) is fundamental to human nature and something that humanity will struggle to overcome for the remainder of its existence.  But it can be done, to a greater or lesser degree and "western civilization" has done so, to a greater degree than the east.

Their population is susceptible to propaganda and have repressive views on life but again the vast majority of Americans had repressive views on life throughout the entirety of the 20th century during which time America prospered due to a plethora of resources, top of the world university system that brought in the brightest from around the world, and an absence of dangerously tribal politics and authoritarian leaders. 

They aren't completely blameless just as ordinary Americans today aren't completely blameless in our current state of degradation, but the vast majority of blame in both countries goes to horrible leadership leveraging propaganda and lies to feed their own greed at the expense of the good of the whole. 

• Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Checking in this morning: are there other significant developments besides:

-Kahrkiv is still holding on but running out of food

-The 40km column has been halted by drones

-Kherson has fallen

CNN is saying the Ukrainians are disputing that Kherson has fallen. For what it's worth

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

TLDR; dude I know ran over a bird

CSB

So a couple of weeks ago a guy I know and his friend in were exiting McCullough off 281 to go back home in Alamo Heights. If you’re not from the area, this is the exit to ICU that cuts behind the zoo and sunken gardens. 

It was around 2am and although they are professionals pushing their mid 40s they were stoned to hell. All of the sudden a turkey buzzard takes off from the side of the road and Guys reaction time was so slowed, well, he hit that bird bullseye center of his windshield- splat. The wing span practically covered the entire view and they pulled over and got out to see if they could get it off. 

They are using their phone flashlights to inspect the damage while still smoking a j. There is a very Bill and Ted flavor to their problem acquisition then, Guys friend says “hey man… that’s not a buzzard… that looks like a hawk or something.”

Sure enough, when they look at the talons it’s definitely a really large raptor. Then Guy sees a copper tag on the birds leg that reads “ ‘Henry’, Highly Endangered Species, Property of SA Zoo”.

They look at each other and finally Guy says “Shiiiit… shouldn’t we call 311 or something?” to which his friend replies “Nah, better not. I didn’t tell you but I’ve got a lot of drugs with me right now”

So, they decided not to touch Henry and drive back slowly to Guys house 5min away. He had to drive really slowly and peer through the tiny spaces around the dead bird. As he driving his view of the road also has Henrys talon with the tag in direct view. The tag blows and flips over to inform them of all of the Federal penalties they are subject to and coincidentally identifies the penalties for exactly what they were doing which boiled down to something like 10yrs in Federal Prison. 

They get home and park in the garage. Next day Guy calls the zoo to inform them what happened (sort of) and everything turned out Ok. Henry had escaped his enclosure a couple days before and was staying close to the access road feeding on carrion. The zoo had tried to get him but because there was other food available they were having trouble and had some Ace Ventura bird whisperer on the way from the West Coast to help get him. The bubbly girl on the phone’s voice cracked as she mentioned that she guessed they didn’t need his services anymore. 

Guy went out to the garage and drank a glass of Bourbon with Henry then peeled him off his car and arranged him in an Amazon box with tissue paper “real nice” (after keeping some feathers because, “shit man, where else you gonna find those?”)

spacer.png

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

I certainly don’t want to keep discussing Nicole getting her box pounded while the fried chicken is burning, only have so much rage in me.  

RIP, Fried Chicken. 

Aw, c'mon now. Don't burn the chicken!

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Did you do too much breakdancing as a young man or something?  Seems really young. Apologies if the real reason was a traumatic event, like clown rape or falling out of a tree. 

He was definitely not expecting that Clown to fight back like he did. 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I took the long way around to get to this question (for the NERC guys, shady just provided a convenient roll up). Is the NERC implementation pretty tight top to bottom, or do you have similar issues? I would think it’s much more standard wrt the network side (all one color network, pretty standard enterprise guidance, etc), but all the local control/access still leaves some big holes (giggity) to be exploited. Sloppy admin rights or password policies leads to elevated rights, which leads to attack vector, which leads to yada yada.  

I've done more DoD work than NERC and I can probably map out controls for NERC while drinking. Dealing with the DoD makes me want to go drinking. Utilities are terrible with their money and pretty lost when it comes to these things so the consulting money for NERC CIP can get absurd.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Serious smack talk here.  I'm not a war expert, but are both sides usually on the same channel like that?  Seems weird.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">alleged Ukrainian and Russian radio exchanges during combat <a href="https://t.co/47sSCx5L9z">pic.twitter.com/47sSCx5L9z</a></p>&mdash; Mithaldu 🌻🐾🥥🏝️ (@mithaldu) <a href="https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1498972663548682244?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Are you on windows 95?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Serious smack talk here.  I'm not a war expert, but are both sides usually on the same channel like that?  Seems weird.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">alleged Ukrainian and Russian radio exchanges during combat <a href="https://t.co/47sSCx5L9z">pic.twitter.com/47sSCx5L9z</a></p>&mdash; Mithaldu 🌻🐾🥥🏝️ (@mithaldu) <a href="https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1498972663548682244?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think they stole that audio from Madden of CoD online. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

That is beyond awesome hahaha

6 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Huge:

j9gv9owz7zk81.png

All kidding aside, Zelensky better tell all civilians to destroy that abandoned Russian equipment.  The Russkies may be counting on just recapturing it all back once they start their occupation.  I really think the Ukes should just firebomb it all right now and post their videos.

Better safe than sorry unless they repurpose and use against the invaders (which most farmers will not)

• Hook 'Em 1

All I can do is donate to established causes I know will provide aid and pray…being Ash Wednesday and all. Lots of blue and yellow at the church. Fuck ya. 

At least my hero tweeted a few minutes ago…

I hope like hell the aid they have asked for and that has been promised is on its way or already there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Reports this morning that Putins approval rating in Russia has gone up. Russians hate the war but they don't like the west attacking their economy. Going to be a long slog. 

Let's check on those approval ratings in a month when Putin's war has really hit their pocketbooks and kitchen pantries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1