Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

11 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Ever see the Longest Day? Cool scene about this. 

For sure.  Many times.  Read it as well, but it's been a long while. 

Certainly there are many stories about just this scenario across many wars.  But to see it playing out on a video in front of me, while sitting at my desk in Texas?  That shit is fucking crazy.*

*Crazier for them, for sure.   But still, crazy to watch.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again whoosh. I’m not “spinning” anything.

Wtf is wrong with you people? Someone brought up that Afghanistan is littered with these things and I was pointing out a sad irony of something factually correct about Afghan culture. I wasn’t looking for a laugh. I think it should’ve been obvious and if you took it the wrong way then that’s on you. Atom got it. 

This is a bit out of order but... here you say it is not a joke.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think he was making a joke about the Taliban taking child brides.

Here he thinks you were making a joke.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ding ding ding! Give that man a cheroot.

Although that’s not limited to the Taliban. That’s ubiquitous. Sort of like how we looked the other way when our allies against the Taliban kept little boys as sex slaves. It’s just that some aspects of Afghan culture are still stuck in the first century. 

Here you agreed with him that it was a joke.     

Another thing you got wrong was that the Taliban banned the practice of baca bazi, which became revitalized when the US took over. 

Here is an excerpt from Wiki:

During times under Taliban currently and previously, bacha bazi carries the death penalty under Taliban law.[10] Under the post-Taliban government, the practice of dancing boys was illegal under Afghan law, but the laws were seldom enforced against powerful offenders, and police had reportedly been complicit in related crimes.[11][12] Despite international concern and its illegality, the practice continued under the post-Taliban government.[13][14]

A controversy arose after allegations surfaced that U.S. government forces in Afghanistan after the invasion of the country deliberately ignored bacha bazi.[15] The U.S. military responded by claiming the abuse was largely the responsibility of the "local Afghan government".[16]

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

When our GI's suspected a German spy had made their way in to the squad,  , they would ask the perp who played centerfield for the Yankees or who Dizzy Dean played for.  Very Shibboleth

I saw a WWII documentary once where a group of POWs thought they had been infiltrated by a German spy, so Col. Hogan startled the guy awake by yelling—in German—that there was a fire. When he reacted without skipping a beat, they knew they had him.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I saw a WWII documentary once where a group of POWs thought they had been infiltrated by a German spy, so Col. Hogan startled the guy awake by yelling—in German—that there was a fire. When he reacted without skipping a beat, they knew they had him.

So, I used to watch Hogan's Heroes reruns after thus bus dropped me home from school in the 90s. Loved the show, but as a kid I also felt it was very so old. It occurs to me that there would be roughly the same year gap for a kid watching Friends reruns on TBS today. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

[lowers book, turns halfway around in armchair]

I'd like to point out that the Germans in WW2 had far more independent NCOs than most, and that society was still a tad authoritarian. Probably the scaled-down post-Versailles army had something to do with that, being meant to expand into a bigger force, but even in WW1 with the storm units they were teaching NCOs to think on their feet.

In fact, the US Army stole some of the German's leadership training ideas, minus the heel-clicking and such. If you ever took a leadership course where a small team had to figure out how to accomplish a mission using whatever tools were on-site, you were taking part in a knock-off of Natsie training.

Sort of like one of those Escape Room games minus most of the annoying shit.

[/ahem]

The German and American model of senior NCOs as the backbone and operational brains of the organization is premised on “soldier” being an attractive and desirable career path. That doesn’t exist in Russia, where officers is basically the only decent career path and is so only for the bribery and corruption opportunities it presents. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Yep it's called a Shibboleth. In the Pacific we'd use a lot if L's, in the European Campaign we'd use Th sounds like "Thunder" because German's pronounce TH's like D's. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d1d3feab9bd5b8092c8ce25f98f3b99f.jpeg

There is also a long and involved joke about an SVR NOC failing his British indoctrination school twice, first because he left his spoon in the cup while drinking tea. Second time because he squinted his eye to keep the spoon from poking it even though he had taken it out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So, I used to watch Hogan's Heroes reruns after thus bus dropped me home from school in the 90s. Loved the show, but as a kid I also felt it was very so old. It occurs to me that there would be roughly the same year gap for a kid watching Friends reruns on TBS today. 

Oof.

For me it was Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, and Green Acres.  

Those were the babysitters in the 80s.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Russia fucking around, while probably missing the real reconnaissance work being done.

From CNN:

Russian Defense Ministry says it intercepted US drones near Crimea

From CNN’s Josh Pennington and Oren Liebermann

The Russian Ministry of Defense says it deployed two fighter jets to intercept a United States Air Force MQ-9 "Reaper" and RQ-4 "Global Hawk" unmanned aerial vehicles near the Crimean peninsula.

The drones were detected by Russian forces that were monitoring equipment flying over the southwestern part of the Black Sea, the Russian defense ministry said on Telegram. 

Two Russian fighter jets were deployed to avert a “possible violation of the state border” and to “counter any radio-technical reconnaissance,” the defense ministry said.

“As a result of the actions of on-duty air defense forces, the United States Air Force reconnaissance UAVs changed their flight path and left the areas where air reconnaissance was being conducted,” the defense ministry said.

Pentagon spokesperson Lt. Col. Garron Garn told CNN the US "will continue to fly routine missions over the Black Sea as permitted by international law to ensure freedom of navigation and maneuver in the region."

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

For sure.  Many times.  Read it as well, but it's been a long while. 

Certainly there are many stories about just this scenario across many wars.  But to see it playing out on a video in front of me, while sitting at my desk in Texas?  That shit is fucking crazy.*

*Crazier for them, for sure.   But still, crazy to watch.

This right here.

I'm on my fucking phone, in a parking lot in Texas, watching a war in Ukraine... Against Russia. 'm old. This shit is... Crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

Gotta love the “elite” airborne VDV trying to hold the trenches. 

Russian Commander #1: "We just got in 300 mobilized conscripts with 2 weeks of training that consisted of walking around and shooting 6 bullets"

Russian Commander #2: "Let's put them in trenches, they can handle that"

Russian Commander #1: "We also got 300 of these these elite airborne VDV who have a little more training and that we use for assaulting heavily defended positions and spearheading invading other countries."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Russian Commander #1: "We just got in 300 mobilized conscripts with 2 weeks of training that consisted of walking around and shooting 6 bullets"

Russian Commander #1: "We also got 300 of these these elite airborne VDV who have a little more training and that we use for assaulting heavily defended positions and spearheading invading other countries."

Russian choose your own adventure books have to be fairly dark.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Anybody seen one of those lists of how much shit Russia has lost lately, or did they just give up on those?

There are people still working on the Oryx stuff, even if the main guy is retiring from it.  He links to them.

The dead officers thing is still going strong.

https://twitter.com/KilledInUkraine

F4SrAPzWMAE8fNh?format=webp&name=medium

The Captain/Senior Lieutenant/Lieutenant thing is stunning - based on what we know of Russian infantry companies (and the associated artillery/engineering/logistics/etc.) and how many are staffed by junior officers (and not fully staffed at that), that's potentially the equivalent of well over a thousand company-level units that have lost their leadership.  Or if Russia had managed to stick to proper staffing, that's the equivalent of well over 400 company-level units that lost their commanders, and probably close to or at 1,000 platoon-level units that lost their commanders.

In this kind of war, where so much is being done at the platoon and company level due to HIMARS/artillery making life hell for battalion-sized gatherings, and given the loss of already piss-poor institutional knowledge every time a Russian officer with even just a few months or year or two of experience is killed...I will not be surprised if we see a massive collapse on one of the fronts at some point, and the Ukrainians fully punch through to the rear.  I can't imagine how thin the Russians are when it comes to officers who are even mildly competent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I've seen 'em daily. Not today's, yet, but daily.

One thing that would be very interesting to know - how many of the systems being lost (tanks, helicopters, etc.) can actually be replaced by Russia through new manufacturing, or repaired enough to be usable.  For a while, they were down to making 20 new tanks a month, which was quite a bit less than what the Ukrainians were destroying.

I know people talk about their reserves/storage, but given that we saw them pulling out late 1950s and early 1960s stuff, it's safe to say they've emptied their long-term storage of anything usable, as well as draining Belarus dry, so replacements have to come out of manufacturing.

• Hook 'Em 1

So some stuff from today's The Guardian live blog on Ukraine:

- They talked to some Ukrainian soldiers that had been rotated out and were resting/rehabbing before going back to the front lines. A few of them said they had been trained in Germany on Bradleys and once they were back in Ukraine and went to the front, they were given M113s.

- Reuters reported on Germany cracking down on individuals and companies helping Russia evade sanctions.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2023-08-29/man-suspected-of-sending-drone-parts-to-russia-german-prosecutor

• Hook 'Em 4