2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Someone is desperate. if I was Gideon, I would announce that Maine has heard enough from Collins for 24 years and they want a change so debates are pointless.

Put slightly differently, Collins is absolutely full of shit, so nobody cares what she has to say anymore.

58 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Donate to Ernst’s opponent. Need her out of the Senate ASAP.

this is fucking maddening, but oh so consistent.  they don't care about right or wrong or optics or history or anything.  if it benefits them, and it's possible to do, they will do it.

it's just like when trump replaces an ig or someone looking into him or his cronies.  the answer comes back every time the same - "the president can fire whomever he wants!"  again, if they can do it, they will do it.  there is zero honor on that side of the aisle.

32 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this is fucking maddening, but oh so consistent.  they don't care about right or wrong or optics or history or anything.  if it benefits them, and it's possible to do, they will do it.

it's just like when trump replaces an ig or someone looking into him or his cronies.  the answer comes back every time the same - "the president can fire whomever he wants!"  again, if they can do it, they will do it.  there is zero honor on that side of the aisle.

It's pure evil.  Zero honor.  Zero integrity.  This is why we have to play dirty.  They will never stop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Donate to Ernst’s opponent. Need her out of the Senate ASAP.

She’s a fucking moron. She’s such an awful senator. The people of Iowa should be ashamed. She needs to be voted out so  badly. 

she criticized Obama’s response to Ebola in 2014 when several people died, but thinks Trump is doing a great job with the death toll approaching 150K.

this woman is garbage and a disgrace to human decency. 

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

She’s a fucking moron. She’s such an awful senator. The people of Iowa should be ashamed. She needs to be voted out so  badly. 

she criticized Obama’s response to Ebola in 2014 when several people died, but thinks Trump is doing a great job with the death toll approaching 150K.

this woman is garbage and a disgrace to human decency. 

She seems genuinely vapid.  I understand Donny puts her in a lot of bad positions to be answerable, but she always sounds like she's searching for not only words but purpose behind them.  Has she actually done anything in Congress other than vote party line and try and build out pork for Iowa?  Quick gander makes her look like a lightweight but maybe she's behind something more impactful in nature.

• Like 1

With things getting this grim this quick, you might have a lot of senators not willing to wait until Labor Day to cut trump loose. 

https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/senate/senate-overview/almost-100-days-out-democrats-are-favored-take-back-senate

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1286422923914416129?s=20

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

With things getting this grim this quick, you might have a lot of senators not willing to wait until Labor Day to cut trump loose. 

https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/senate/senate-overview/almost-100-days-out-democrats-are-favored-take-back-senate

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1286422923914416129?s=20

The Georgia rating is shocking.

So is their plan to be like, see I’m against him now!  So you can clearly vote for me because I definitely didn’t support him for the past 4 years despite him being a traitorous piece of shit!  That was some other guy with the same name!

i don’t get it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

So is their plan to be like, see I’m against him now!  So you can clearly vote for me because I definitely didn’t support him for the past 4 years despite him being a traitorous piece of shit!  That was some other guy with the same name!

i don’t get it

They’re trying to walk a fine line between distancing themselves from trump, but saying they won’t be a vote for Biden’s “radical” agenda. Their words, not mine. 

it’s a desperate ploy that voters shouldn’t fall for. These trump enablers deserve to go down with the ship.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:00 PM, Gil Bang said:

The best part of that game was Saban icing the Auburn kicker to prevent a meaningless FG at the end. Someone's beloved child, innocently trying to do his part, and Nick fucked with his brain for life.

It was beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

538 has a confidence interval up on "D's Can Get To 60 Senators."  Honestly, this stupid website is good for literally nothing other than as a poll aggregator.

I hate wasting the time to listen -- what's the punchline?

20 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

They’re trying to walk a fine line between distancing themselves from trump, but saying they won’t be a vote for Biden’s “radical” agenda. Their words, not mine. 

it’s a desperate ploy that voters shouldn’t fall for. These trump enablers deserve to go down with the ship.

It’s a desperate ploy, sure, but it’s not illogical. I’m sure there are a lot of conservative voters or former republicans that want nothing to do with a Dem agenda that this would make sense for. dump Trump, get a non mouth breather in charge of the White House, do nothing substantively policy wise. I don’t think it works but there is a logic to it. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s a desperate ploy, sure, but it’s not illogical. I’m sure there are a lot of conservative voters or former republicans that want nothing to do with a Dem agenda that this would make sense for. dump Trump, get a non mouth breather in charge of the White House, do nothing substantively policy wise. I don’t think it works but there is a logic to it. 

Not sound or good logic for sure tho.

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Not sound or good logic for sure tho.

If you don’t like a lot of government divided government is a sound strategy. 
I’m very glad that the Dems didn’t control everything with the Covid bill. Pelosi’s bill was shameful and disgusting. That said- I’m not sure that if McConnell wasn’t in charge that they might not have just tossed out a couple crumbs to the poorest amongst us (or the richest) and called it a day. Instead- we got a really good bill. And nothing short of a catastrophe is getting anything done. And I like nothing getting done if I can’t do whatever it is I want to do. 

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you don’t like a lot of government divided government is a sound strategy. 
I’m very glad that the Dems didn’t control everything with the Covid bill. Pelosi’s bill was shameful and disgusting. That said- I’m not sure that if McConnell wasn’t in charge that they might not have just tossed out a couple crumbs to the poorest amongst us (or the richest) and called it a day. Instead- we got a really good bill. And nothing short of a catastrophe is getting anything done. And I like nothing getting done if I can’t do whatever it is I want to do. 

That’s a strategy of the social decay we’ve been seeing for decades now. Attacks on public Education and schools, dollars to militarize police instead of improving tactics and strategies. As a former born and rear’d republican, this is a strategy of stagnation and decay. Not a mentality that innovates and leads the world. It’s just running out the clock. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s a strategy of the social decay we’ve been seeing for decades now. Attacks on public Education and schools, dollars to militarize police instead of improving tactics and strategies. As a former born and rear’d republican, this is a strategy of stagnation and decay. Not a mentality that innovates and leads the world. It’s just running out the clock. 

Nothing should get attacked with divided government that’s the entire point. 
If a situation reaches a crisis point it should be able to be resolved in a way that’s good for the most people/broad appeal. 

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nothing should get attacked with divided government that’s the entire point. 
If a situation reaches a crisis point it should be able to be resolved in a way that’s good for the most people/broad appeal. 

I understand the strategy. But that’s not practically what happens. It’s decay by inches. A little erosion here. A little erosion there. And over time you have a big shift that everyone shrugged off in pieces until they realized the foundation of their house is completely fucked. For example, we have problems now and a country so divided that there’s nothing with “broad appeal” to everyone. People want to take up arms for basic slights. 

I understand the concept, I really do. I want to maintain my status quo and not be bothered. It’s a great mentality for an easy life but it’s not realistic, and it hasn’t been that realistic for any most major countries or empires in History. You stand still you get passed up. And while that last illustration isn’t necessarily an analog for politics, and I’m not trying to advocate big government as a solution to our problems. But that being said, a mentality of “I don’t want change” and “let’s not try to do better” is a mentality that doesn’t prompt innovation, period. And I fervently believe that kind of mentality will bleed out into everything.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

538 has a confidence interval up on "D's Can Get To 60 Senators."  Honestly, this stupid website is good for literally nothing other than as a poll aggregator.

Isn’t that the whole mission and founding philosophy of 538? To Aggregate polls and all of the biases cancel each other out? They might editorialize on the data as a side product (agreed that metric isn’t the most useful), but the aggregated data and its direct derivatives are still the foundational product and they’re pretty good at it, better than anyone else anyway.

Maybe I’m missing something, but this is kind of like going to a barbecue restaurant and giving it 1 star because you didn’t like the banana pudding.
  • Like 1

What a shame.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/as-pandemic-limits-scrutiny-gop-fears-lesser-known-democratic-candidates-will-steamroll-to-senate-majority/2020/07/24/e7087534-cde3-11ea-b0e3-d55bda07d66a_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_pkcapitol-535pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

In Iowa, Sen. Joni Ernst (R) has challenged her Democratic competitor to six debates, starting in August. In North Carolina, Sen. Thom Tillis (R) pressed his Democratic opponent to accept five debates, which he wanted to start in the spring.

And in Maine, Sen. Susan Collins (R) declared that she wants to debate her opponent 16 times, once in each of the state’s counties, starting immediately.

Republicans acknowledge that this upends the usual debate about debates, in which an incumbent rarely wants to give the challenger the same platform. Incumbent senators are pleading with their lesser-known rivals to join them on debate stages, or Zoom, trying to elevate the profile of these Democrats.

But they view this as a matter of necessity in a campaign in which Republicans are running into the head winds of President Trump’s sagging poll numbers amid his stumbling response to the coronavirus pandemic.

And the pandemic has limited campaign activities that are normal for a big Senate race, activities such as state fairs, beach walks and large church services — and without those staples, there are fewer chances for candidates to make mistakes.

Instead, Republicans are growing fearful that Democratic candidates are receiving such little scrutiny that they could steamroll to victory, and to the Senate majority, mostly by raising huge amounts of money that fund smart media campaigns on TV and social media.

Spoiler

“The more voters see their candidates, the worse off they are. This is a very weak crop of recruits,” said Jesse Hunt, spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Democrats contend that their candidates are doing as much as anyone could expect with the novel coronavirus still raging in many states, suggesting that the Republican senatorial nominee in Alabama, Tommy Tuberville, is the most shut-in candidate in the nation. Tuberville refused to debate former attorney general Jeff Sessions in the primary and has yet to agree to debate Sen. Doug Jones (D) in the general election campaign in a state that Trump won by nearly 30 percentage points.

Instead, Democrats say their candidates are focused on the right issue at the right moment — protecting and enhancing health care during a pandemic — as GOP incumbents adopt the tactics traditionally deployed by losing candidates.

“Democrats continue to meet with and hear from voters across their states, and they didn’t need a manufactured debate over debates from desperate incumbents to do it,” said Lauren Passalacqua, spokeswoman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

This Democratic crop largely comes from two sets of traditional candidates favored by Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.): older former governors or ex-senators who already have high name recognition and fundraising history and lesser-known state officials who will execute their campaigns along the lines of DSCC mandates.

That recipe backfired in 2016, when former senators Russell Feingold (D-Wis.) and Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), along with former governor Ted Strickland (D-Ohio), lost races after being hailed as strong candidates.

Three former state officials — Patty Judge (Iowa), Katie McGinty (Pa.) and Deborah Ross (N.C.) — also lost that year.

Those Democratic candidates ran races closely aligned with the themes of Hillary Clinton’s campaign, believing she would thump Trump, and their results closely tracked Clinton’s. Feingold and McGinty were less than three-tenths of a percentage point from matching Clinton’s razor-thin losing margin in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Now, Republicans think Democrats are taking a similar approach. Gov. Steve Bullock (D-Mont.) and former governor John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.) are the familiar faces. Republicans allege that state House Speaker Sara Gideon (D-Maine), former state senator Cal Cunningham (D-N.C.), along with former congressional candidate Theresa Greenfield (D-Iowa), are running races closely in line with DSCC marching orders.

Except, with Biden holding a larger lead than Clinton ever did, these Democratic candidates could have more success than their 2016 counterparts. On Thursday, the Cook Political Report, an independent analysis site, declared that Democrats were favored to get a net gain of four seats to claim the Senate majority in November (three seats if Biden wins).

Cunningham and Gideon are raising eye-popping amounts of money for their campaigns. Cunningham, a Bronze Star recipient from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, has raised more than $15 million in his challenge to Tillis, while Gideon has raised more than $24 million.

Neither has even run a statewide race before.

Republicans think that if they can get on a debate stage with these nominees, they can make them look foolish.

“We’ve invited him — how many times does an incumbent invite a challenger to debates? He’s deferred on all,” Tillis complained in a recent interview with the conservative outlet Newsmax.

Tillis’s campaign has created a logo accusing Cunningham of campaigning from the “DSCC windowless basement.”

Cunningham and Tillis agreed Friday to two debates and are trying to schedule a third, not quite the five the incumbent wanted.

Democrats say Cunningham has held 11 events, either in person or over videoconferences, including eight town halls, in the past week. Gideon conducted six events, including talking with lobstermen and holding a roundtable on opioid abuse, since winning the Democratic nomination July 14.

And Greenfield has held four news conferences with Iowa media outlets in the past month, with goals including defending the Affordable Care Act and criticizing business-friendly rulings by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Part of the GOP frustration comes from the steadily shrinking ranks of local media outlets covering congressional elections — a trend that has only worsened with the collapse of ad revenue in the pandemic, leading to further newsroom layoffs.

That phenomenon gets combined with a national news corps that is heavily focused on covering coronavirus stories, limiting the number of stories from key Senate battlegrounds. GOP strategists feel that their incumbents still have to face the Capitol press corps every day that the Senate is in session, while the Democratic challengers carefully choose their public appearances.

This election season has not yet had a single big “tracker” controversy — involving those usually young staffers who follow opposing candidates from event to event, hoping to capture them on camera doing or saying something controversial.

With their ammunition limited, Republicans keep fighting over debates, nowhere as fiercely as in Maine.

Within hours of winning her nomination, Gideon made the first offer: five debates. Collins demanded 16 and accused her Democratic rival of hiding from voters. “I look forward to an open and accessible discussion with you about the future of our state and nation,” Collins wrote to Gideon.

Gideon told reporters that Collins was the one in hiding.

“We have traveled around Maine for the past 13 months. We have heard over and over again from people who have said they have not seen Senator Collins in a forum where they are able to ask her questions,” Gideon said.

Bob Hamilton is running in the GOP primary for Senate here in Kansas. In almost every ad he emphasizes how much he hates Hillary. It somehow still amazes me that we are at the point where a candidate for the U.S. Senate openly proclaims their hatered for another person as part of their political strategy. Much less, someone that has nothing to do with them or their election, and someone who served as a previous Senator and Secretary of State. This is what we have become. We are a failed nation. 

• Haha 1