Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm almost positive any other president would be addressing the nation today.  At the very least trying to comfort the nation.  Addressing the problem head on.  This piece of shit will do nothing of the sort.

He would make it worse if he tried to create the perception of doing the right thing. 

I’m glad he’s tucked away on the golf course and not trying to exploit these tragedies for more TV camera time attempting to look “presidential”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well played, but you know what I meant.  Consequences for those who support that shit.

I hope you're right about things not being normalized yet, but I'm doubtful. As others have stated before, the rule of law depends on all (or most) members of a society agreeing upon a set of norms and standards. Once that's broken, how do you go back in time?

We don't seem to currently have such an agreement as members of the USA. There are numerous examples of the rule of law being thwarted. Even if Trump and McConnell were to leave tomorrow, there will be people to replace them and carry on their examples of lawlessness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retread said:

I hope you're right about things not being normalized yet, but I'm doubtful. As others have stated before, the rule of law depends on all (or most) members of a society agreeing upon a set of norms and standards. Once that's broken, how do you go back in time?

We don't seem to currently have such an agreement as members of the USA. There are numerous examples of the rule of law being thwarted. Even if Trump and McConnell were to leave tomorrow, there will be people to replace them and carry on their examples of lawlessness.

I agree with that.  That's why 2020 is our only chance to stand up and say, "fuck that, this is not ok.  this is not what we stand for or what this nation is supposed to be about".  I think we are splitting hairs about what "normalizing" is, but the end result is the same.  2020 or bust.  Literally.

• Like 2

^

Make no mistake about it, words matter. And, Mr. Trump’s words are dangerous.

These words are more than a “dog-whistle.” When such violent dehumanizing words come from the President of the United States, they are a clarion call, and give cover, to white supremacists who consider people of color a sub-human “infestation” in America. They serve as a call to action from those people to keep America great by ridding it of such infestation. Violent words lead to violent actions.

1 hour ago, retread said:

Just think of all the things that have now been normalized. Russian interference in elections, obstruction, firing FBI directors to obstruct, AG as president's personal henchman, attacking sitting Reps from the bully pulpit, calling black reps racist, laughing at black reps getting burglarized, calling African countries shitholes, refusing to call out domestic terrorism, stoking white nationalism by dissembling and lying about immigrants, stoking fear about MS-13 gangs and Mexicans raping women in the backs of cars, etc.

And every last bit of it with the full and unconditional support of the Republican Party.  

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

And every last bit of it with the full and unconditional support of the Republican Party.  

This is why I think that Rs in Congress (esp. Senate) are irretrievable compromised. Every president has at least some opposition from his own party in Congress.

No one dares mutter a word against this WH. Flake and Corker made some brave speeches on the Senate floor before tucking tail and running.

Edited by retread

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Every time I see pictures of Trump stopping by a wedding I think about the scene in Caligula where he fucks the bride before the husband can and verifies she was a virgin. No doubt this is Trump's fantasy when he does. 

No doubt its the fantasy of these grooms too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Every time I see pictures of Trump stopping by a wedding I think about the scene in Caligula where he fucks the bride before the husband can and verifies she was a virgin. No doubt this is Trump's fantasy when he does. 

Literally the post before yours.  Great minds think alike . . .

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

There was a great segment on Daily Show years ago with Colbert.  He was standing outside the GOP convention and, when they cut to footage from inside the convention, it was just a violent orgy scene from Caligula with a sound clip of John Ashcroft singing “Where Eagles Soar.”  

They won't talk about it because they know they caused it and they don't care enough to feign sympathy.  If you are still are on the fence about whether Trump is actively courting modern day nazis, you've got your head in the sand.  This shit is a plank of the Republican party and if they aren't removed from power it's going to become official policy sooner or later.

Edited by kevwun

49 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Has DOTARD said "radical white terrorism" yet?

Well, he did say that hate did not belong in this country, so baby steps here.  Can't be expected to take some kind of moral stand, not at this juncture.  Gotta keep politics out of it.

That would be a bold leap for the President to openly speak out against his base.   Then again, the QAnon folks would state he wasn't really speaking out; that it was code for them to decipher.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

38 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, he did say that hate did not belong in this country, so baby steps here.  Can't be expected to take some kind of moral stand, not at this juncture.  Gotta keep politics out of it.

He also said that hate has been around for a very long time.

Translation: It was happening way before I got here.

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

You fucking know he played golf bitch.

You should be asking him why was he playing golf immediately after a national tragedy at the hands of white nationalists. 

You ask him pointed, direct leading questions.  Stop being soft.

Fucking bitch

• Like 2

Should be asked to him over and over and over by every reporter that comes in contact with him.  "If you don't feel your rhetoric against hispanics was a direct contributing factor in empowering the mass shooter in El Paso, why did you immediately start deleting the word Invasion from all your tweets"??

Ask him over and over and over 

• Like 3

What a fucking shitbag.  In light of the past 24 hours, it's old news, and largely forgotten.  But here were are:

It isn't clear if there was a plan for last week. Some consequential things went down: The U.S. sanctioned Iran's top diplomat, revved up the trade war with China, and signed off on a spending bill that will spike the national debt. But all that got largely lost by the wayside as the president went to war with a Baltimore icon.

Nobody knew it was coming, nobody knew how to handle it, and a week later, senior White House officials have their fingers crossed that the president won't turn their week upside-down once again with another tweet about a "Fox and Friends" segment. As the week has unfurled, people inside and outside the White House described to me how a few pokes of a keyboard by the leader of the free world sent some of Washington's most powerful political players scrambling for cover.

Inside the White House, the conversation about Baltimore last week moved into a brief discussion of policy solutions. 

In at least one conversation with senior aides and another discussion with an outside ally, Trump entertained the idea of declaring a state of emergency in Baltimore — an extraordinary action that would potentially open up new federal powers and funding, according to four sources familiar with the conversations.

Spoiler

The idea, one of these sources said, would be to say that the living conditions in Baltimore were unacceptable and that people were suffering because their Democratic representatives let them down. So Trump would take action to fix things.

Trump also discussed declaring a state of emergency in other cities controlled by Democrats, including San Francisco and Detroit, a White House official told me.

Between the lines: The emergency idea appears to have been a brief conversation and no more than that. And by Thursday, White House officials had concluded it was too difficult, logistically, for the president to visit Baltimore next week — another idea they had tossed around. So we're back where we started, a week and a day after Trump's inflammatory tweets.

How it all began: Last Saturday morning, the president of the United States was watching "Fox and Friends." The show aired a segment that claimed Rep. Elijah Cummings was ignoring his district in West Baltimore and that it was full of trash.

The segment opened with footage of Cummings upbraiding the Department of Homeland Security's acting Secretary Kevin McAleenan for the awful conditions migrant children face in detention camps at the border.

"You know to have Congressman Cummings talk about the situation at the border, it's laughable," the Republican strategist guest said, "because the conditions in his own district, and a lot of people said he hasn’t even been there in a while, are atrocious."

Trump parroted the segment, describing Cummings' district as "a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess." The president went on to imply that Cummings was corrupt.

Behind the scenes: After Trump's tweet, many elected officials rushed to Cummings' defense. CNN anchor Victor Blackwell choked up. "When he tweets about infestation," Blackwell said, "it's about black and brown people."

A few inside the White House were disturbed by the remarks, especially coming so soon after Trump told four female congresswomen of color to "go back" to where they came from, according to sources with direct knowledge.

But many more White House officials and Trump allies supported the attack on Cummings, whose committee is investigating the president and his administration. They saw a political advantage in Trump highlighting urban plight in districts that have long been under Democratic control.

From Monday, White House officials began brainstorming how they could amplify the president's attacks on Cummings. They talked about whether Trump should visit Baltimore. (He didn't.) They discussed whether the only African American in Trump's Cabinet, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, should visit Baltimore. (Carson, a former Baltimore resident, held a press conference there on Wednesday after touring a housing development.)

On Tuesday, Ivanka Trump reminded people that in 2017 she donated proceeds from her book to support an initiative, "incubated in Baltimore," to help female entrepreneurs.

Trump's allies outside the White House sprung into action. Also on Tuesday, former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, who remains close to Ivanka Trump, tweeted: "Instead of all of this back and forth about who everyone thinks is racist and [who's] not, the President just offered to help the people of Baltimore. They should take him up on it." 

Benny Johnson from Turning Point USA, a pro-Trump group that mobilizes young conservatives, toured Cummings' district and reinforced Trump's message in a short video.

Back in the White House, Trump wondered aloud about what he could do to show he could fix the problems in Baltimore and other cities under Democratic control. That’s when he discussed declaring states of emergency in these cities. The idea hasn't gone anywhere yet, according to White House officials. 

Officials said that once they thought it through, the idea didn't make much sense. It wouldn't make much sense to funnel more federal money into a district after Trump had described the same district as corrupt, one said. Another official compared Baltimore to Puerto Rico. And a third questioned where it would end. How many emergencies would Trump declare? 

These officials told me that as far as they were aware, White House lawyers never got involved in these conversations. Former senior White House lawyers who worked for previous presidents told me they'd never heard of a president declaring an emergency in a city, absent a natural disaster and local leaders' requests for help. 

What's next: The Baltimore conversation seems to be waning inside the White House. Certainly, nobody senior who I spoke to thought that any new policy would come out of it.

Then on Friday morning, Trump tweeted: "Really bad news! The Baltimore house of Elijah Cummings was robbed. Too bad!"

This went too far even for some allies, including Nikki Haley.

The bottom line: Baltimore Week illuminates how things often work inside the Trump White House: The president watches TV, he tweets, and the machinery of government scrambles into action to deal with an emergency of the president's own creation. Then everyone moves on.

13 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Should be asked to him over and over and over by every reporter that comes in contact with him.  "If you don't feel your rhetoric against hispanics was a direct contributing factor in empowering the mass shooter in El Paso, why did you immediately start deleting the word Invasion from all your tweets"??

'That's a very racist question! You're fake news!'

And then you don't get access anymore. And he'll tweet negative things about you and then maybe you'll start getting death threats from Internet nutjobs. And you have to wonder if it's really worth it. What if some wacko does something to your children? Maybe it's better to just bide your time and hope things return to normal after he's gone. 

The problem is he has no intention of ever leaving office. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SameSame said:

"Sir, do you think Eric Clapton is a great guitar player or a shitty babysitter or both?"