Congrats Garrett Gilbert - Signed as backup QB for Cleveland Browns

immamac

17 hours ago, WBT said:

Meh, it was dink and dunk bullshit with barely any throws downfield to get teams out of 10 yard deep umbrella coverage and it required the most accurate qb in the country to make it work.  It was pretty good when we had quan and ship and then regressed badly with only ship.  Like most of the offenses under mack and gdgd, it should have been better with the talent on hand.

Um what? We contended for two national championships. 2009 was a god damn miracle with our personnel on the o line and RB stable. 

10 hours ago, hookem17 said:

The new Pardon my Take has an interview with Baker Mayfield that Gilbert jumped in on. Gilbert and Mayfield seem to have bonded over being bitter towards UT. 

I love pardon my take, but god damn, they shit on UT hard pretty frequently. 

Which is funny considering PFT Commenter lived in Austin for a number of years

Edited by Blanton

I was at the game that day. It is the only thing I appreciate about Garrett Gilbert. 

The Nebraska fans weren’t that nice and gracious after that one. We absolutely ripped their heads off and shit down their necks that day. They had no inkling that they could actually lose that game.

It was delicious.

The Nebraska fans weren’t that nice and gracious after that one. We absolutely ripped their heads off and shit down their necks that day. They had no inkling that they could actually lose that game.

It was delicious.

My name is Jkwellborn, and I thought the offense and team had turned it around after that.
  • Like 1

Not that I gave a shit about him anymore anyway, but that PMT interview definitely soured whatever goodwill I had left for ol squints. Basically said “yeah, I’m pretty sure we’re both in that horns down train”, referring to he and baker. Also, I don’t think it’s so much that they shit on Texas, just keep up with the Texas is back joke and running it into the ground. PFT pretty frequently displays knowledge of UT football and loves mentioning colt McCoy whenever he can. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lat22 said:

It was delicious.

I agree. They talked lots of shit before the game and some of them were still talking. Had a couple want to fight me and the two guys with me after the game. We just mocked them and not laughed. 

Just now, Tailgate said:

Ya, I thought it was cool when I saw the replays yesterday and then found out he said something to the extent of “got my degree from UT but I’m Horns down all the way” during an interview...then he lost me.

I'd like to see what he said, but I can understand why he would feel that way. Mack put him in a shitty situation. And many fans are unable to identify Mack's worthlessness, so they went after Garrett. Which was monumentally unfair, but shit happens and he's still a Longhorn.

I never blamed him for being anything other than not a good QB, but I still can't associate his name with anything other than football tragedy.

18 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I'd like to see what he said, but I can understand why he would feel that way. Mack put him in a shitty situation. And many fans are unable to identify Mack's worthlessness, so they went after Garrett. Which was monumentally unfair, but shit happens and he's still a Longhorn.

I never blamed him for being anything other than not a good QB, but I still can't associate his name with anything other than football tragedy.

I guess....but seems like taking the low road to me. Leave it unsaid and options open.

• Like 1

Mack was the essential problem, there can be little doubt of it. GG came in as a freshman with no preceding freshman QB on the squad. I still think he hadn't recovered from his HS shoulder injury and absolutely should have red-shirted and rehabbed instead of replacing Sherrod Harris as backup. 

FMB

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Ya, I thought it was cool when I saw the replays yesterday and then found out he said something to the extent of “got my degree from UT but I’m Horns down all the way” during an interview...then he lost me.

That’s a garbage take. It’s not like the university raped him. Dude had a HFC on the down slide but was given the chance to play for the NC. Any alumnus who is in the horns down club can go sit in the corner til he gets his head out of his ass.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 3:42 PM, TornACL said:

In the Super Bowl. When Baker gets hurt. Gilbert throws 3 second half TDs and wins MVP. 

Texas fans are washed away by a tsunami of conflicting emotions. 

In a perfect world it would be Marcell  Dareus who knocked him out of the game, but he plays in the AFC...

I love PMT, but there was/is no way I was going to listen to that interview, cause fuck Baker, but Squints really has the gall to be in the "Horns down club"? Dude, weather Mack fucked up changing the offense on you or not, that doesn't change the fact that you would stare down receivers and throw INTs like they were going out of style. If he had played better, he wouldn't have lost his job to Case fucking McCoy. Fuck Garrett Gilbert. And don't worry, no one here ever wants to claim you. 

• Like 4

I just got done listening to the episode. Sounds like one of those "they can claim me but I don't claim them" kind of situations. 

Don’t worry GG. Most Texas fans don’t claim you.
Whatever you were as a HS player, whatever you did post Texas, you were god awful at Texas. Own that. It’s on no one but Gilbert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, hookem17 said:

The new Pardon my Take has an interview with Baker Mayfield that Gilbert jumped in on. Gilbert and Mayfield seem to have bonded over being bitter towards UT. 

If Gilbert is “bitter” towards Texas then I have to re-evaluate the ambivalence I have towards him. What the hell is he bitter about? We didn’t recruit another QB that year and the starting job was just assumed to be his.  He was terrible during the one year he was a starter and he had every chance to become the man and didn’t do it. He even started the first game of the next season and threw at least one more pick before it officially became Ash’s team for good. 

Bitter my ass. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Garret Gilbert shit the bed and is now blaming the bed?

Well, neither are completely without blame at that point in time. It was kind of a shitty bed as well, but yeah, he had a chance to be the guy to bring a change to that and didn’t get it done.

20 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Don’t worry GG. Most Texas fans don’t claim you.
Whatever you were as a HS player, whatever you did post Texas, you were god awful at Texas. Own that. It’s on no one but Gilbert.

I dunno. The fact that Gilbert has hung around in the NFL for thing long is evidence it wasn't all on him.  Maybe it was partly on Mack's idiotic panic move to change the offense, and all the other Mack-related dysfunction that's been discussed ad nauseam for almost a decade.

Part of me wants to be all "fuck Garrett Gilbert" but another part remains sympathetic because he was forced to endure the absolute nadir of MBTF.com.

35 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I dunno. The fact that Gilbert has hung around in the NFL for thing long is evidence it wasn't all on him.  Maybe it was partly on Mack's idiotic panic move to change the offense, and all the other Mack-related dysfunction that's been discussed ad nauseam for almost a decade.

Part of me wants to be all "fuck Garrett Gilbert" but another part remains sympathetic because he was forced to endure the absolute nadir of MBTF.com.

A little of this, a little of that. He was overrated coming out of high school and needed a few years to acclimate to the college game. We certainly did him no favors putting him into a pro style offense. Once he got to SMU and was in a more comfortable system, he ended up being a serviceable QB.

Backup QB in the NFL is really for guys who are self motivated and don't need coaches to spoon feed them everything. That is why guys like Gilbert, Colt McCoy, Josh McCown, etc hang around in the league for so long. They just learned to manage themselves better than most. 

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

A little of this, a little of that. He was overrated coming out of high school and needed a few years to acclimate to the college game. We certainly did him no favors putting him into a pro style offense. Once he got to SMU and was in a more comfortable system, he ended up being a serviceable QB.

Backup QB in the NFL is really for guys who are self motivated and don't need coaches to spoon feed them everything. That is why guys like Gilbert, Colt McCoy, Josh McCown, etc hang around in the league for so long. They just learned to manage themselves better than most. 

Chase Daniel has gotten paid an assload to hold a clipboard for his entire career. Playing behind a legendary qb might be the best job in football lol.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:58 PM, crimsonlonghorn said:

If Gilbert is “bitter” towards Texas then I have to re-evaluate the ambivalence I have towards him. What the hell is he bitter about?

I'd never encourage lingering butt-hurtedness but I do think it's understandable if you can imagine being a 19 year-old amateur athlete and you experience basically one hundred thousand fans booing you personally. I know my 19 yr old snowflake ass wouldn't have responded well to that.

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying but GG held a clipboard while Case McCoy played a lot in 2011