Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

On 12/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, Underdog said:

Bill Miller's been selling ST since the early 80s to my knowledge, want to say Sonic has also. 

Don’t doubt it at all. We left Austin for good in ‘78, and my only “dining experience” at Miller’s was disappointing.  Also, I abhor sweet tea.

Good fruitcake is awesome. I will slay a fruitcake from the Corsicana Collin Street bakery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing up, my grandparents and great-grandparents would always have fruitcake from Assumption Abbey in Missouri, made by Trappist monks. Been a while since I've had one. Since we're suck at home this year I ordered one from Assumption and one from Collin Street to compare.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Tailgate said:

When eating chicken fried steak....go cream gravy on the steak and brown gravy on the mashed taters.

This is fine, the potatoes should already have been cooked with dairy (butter, milk, cream, or combination).  You don't need the extra from the white gravy, the meat flavor and added moisture from brown gravy is fine. 

When eating chicken fried steak....go cream gravy on the steak and brown gravy on the mashed taters.

Same here for the potatoes. And because I like both cream and brown gravy, I get my CFS with cream gravy on half it and brown gravy on the other half. Then I dip individual bites of the steak in ketchup.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, CooterBrown said:

The Company Man YouTube channel has an episode on why Boston Market never really took off. It’s worth a watch but beware, his videos on why various companies failed are oddly addictive.

Thanks for the recommendation. It seems like the Company Man was successful in bringing back the cinnamon apples. I agree with his thesis, expanding the menu beyond chicken and the rise of supermarket rotisserie chicken did them in. 

Oh well. At least the Westheimer location is still open. 28 day aged prime rib for $20 is a beautiful thing. 

On 12/11/2020 at 5:26 PM, HouTex said:

The first time I experienced sweet tea was in the deep South in the late 90’s. It’s big in Mobile, AL. They always ask if you want sweetened or unsweetened. It was not a thing in Texas until fairly recently.

I'm 36 and as long as I can remember going to restaurants sweet tea has always been a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/11/2020 at 5:26 PM, HouTex said:

The first time I experienced sweet tea was in the deep South in the late 90’s. It’s big in Mobile, AL. They always ask if you want sweetened or unsweetened. It was not a thing in Texas until fairly recently.

I'm 36 and as long as I can remember going to restaurants sweet tea has always been a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i like oatmeal.  steel cut.  crack an egg in there when it's done, add some salt, mix, eat.  

This is unpopular? Oatmeal is food of the gods, and kicks ass on cholesterol as well. Throw a swirl of Sriracha on it or a big spoonful of salsa, to change it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m 22 years older. As I said, fairly recently. My family frequented restaurants of all types all around SE, south and central Texas and my memory goes back to the early 70’s. First time I was ever offered pre-sweetened tea was in a restaurant in Alabama in 2000. I recall it because I had to try it and it was way too sweet.

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

This is unpopular? Oatmeal is food of the gods, and kicks ass on cholesterol as well. Throw a swirl of Sriracha on it or a big spoonful of salsa, to change it up.

9 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

My mouth is literally agape, but since both sauces are in my essential food groups, I may give it a try.............

My pet peeve is the label “unsweet tea”. There is no such thing. There is, however, “tea” or “iced tea”. The default needs no marker. 

Also—whenever it may have originated in Texas—sweet tea is undrinkable for me. The people who really crack me up are the ones who say, “Oh, I quit drinking soda years ago”...and then order sweet tea. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/20/2020 at 9:58 PM, Jimbaround said:

I don’t think fried turkey is any better than a well
Cooked oven turkey. I don’t understand how people go all orgasmic over a fried turkey.

A quality chicken (roasted, fried, bbq) is superior in every way to turkey as a table bird. If you have a big crew it’s understandable to want one big bird to feed everyone.  Four people or fewer, a chicken and all the traditional sides is better, less hassle, less clean up. 

Or cook a pork or beef roast if you really want something to eat on for days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:
You tossing a raw egg in there?  Not judging,  genuinely curious.

Yeah raw egg mixed quickly so it doesn't cook. It's ok if you judge, I know how gross it sounds.

Very common in Asia with a bowl of porridge or boiled rice as well. Also in Korean sundubu.

21 hours ago, HouTex said:

I’m 22 years older. As I said, fairly recently. My family frequented restaurants of all types all around SE, south and central Texas and my memory goes back to the early 70’s. First time I was ever offered pre-sweetened tea was in a restaurant in Alabama in 2000. I recall it because I had to try it and it was way too sweet.

In the RGV, they were doing it in the mid-70s. My first experience with it was the Round-Up in Pharr. They called it Lime Tea. It definitely has a lime kick and was most definitely sweet. An excellent counter-point to their glorious Botana Platters. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, After irth said:

In the RGV, they were doing it in the mid-70s. My first experience with it was the Round-Up in Pharr. They called it Lime Tea. It definitely has a lime kick and was most definitely sweet. An excellent counter-point to their glorious Botana Platters. 

The Botana platter is indeed phenomenal, or was when I grew up in the area. No idea if they're still open. 

Probably not unpopular here but it is controversial with Yankees and other morons.

A flour tortilla is the better choice for some dishes. It’s also authentic as all hell.  The Spaniards brought wheat to the New World 500 years ago and people have been making flour tortillas in Northern Mexico and South Texas ever since.

If you’re gonna tell me a flour tortilla is inauthentic, then you better not serve me a marinara sauce either. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:
You tossing a raw egg in there?  Not judging,  genuinely curious.

Yeah raw egg mixed quickly so it doesn't cook. It's ok if you judge, I know how gross it sounds.

Raw egg in oatmeal is blowing my mind up. Is this commonplace in another part of the world or did you get a wild hair one morning and decide, "You know what this bowl of Quaker Oats needs? Some fucking deutoplasm."

• Haha 1

Raw egg in oatmeal is blowing my mind up. Is this commonplace in another part of the world or did you get a wild hair one morning and decide, "You know what this bowl of Quaker Oats needs? Some fucking deutoplasm."
Was trying to protein load and came up with it a decade ago. Was surprised to find it's delicious.