2018 Rain Thread

Hollywood

Shit This Weekend Forecast:

Sergio is here - not just the PGA pro who's tapping that Austin ass and put a ring on it, but the remnants of a Pacific tropical storm.  Sergio's filtering all these clouds and rain up our way - not rare but not all that common either, though of course it happens.  Have to have the right conditions (including a strong subtropical jet, which is what you want for rainy falls/winters).

So, for the next 2 days, we'll be in/out of tropical showers - that is, usually brief with small localized areas of heavy downpours.  Lightning/thunder could put a halt to some stuff for awhile, so be ready for delays.  Not a washout today/tomorrow but certainly soupy, humid, cloudy and in and out of small showers all weekend.  Maybe it'll hold off but already there's rain everywhere.

Sunday is the kicker... a strong Canadian cold front is coming, and bringing with it a pretty intense system.  Rain will pick up a lot and Mon-Tues will be especially rainy, and of course those temps... will be COLD or at least pretty damn cool.  Will Sunday night ACL be affected?  Hard to say, but I think so.  Timing of these fronts is always tricky, the bigger ones tend to speed up, so maybe.  I don't know yet, though, will have to track it tomorrow afternoon to know.  But if/when it comes through, it's going to be windy and pretty rainy.  Absolutely shitty weather to watch anything outside.  We'll see.

tl:dr:  in/out of rainshowers all day Saturday and Sunday, could be brief instances of lightning/thunder.  This is a tropical type event, so rain can come/go quickly.  Almost 100% chance of getting at least a brief shower.  But washout?  Probably not.  Wet as shit?  Yeah.  Sunday evening could be the apocalypse wind/rain.  I'll update tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

Tornado on the ground near Brady 

Yes, that system has been producing a few tornadoes or at least temporary touchdowns for most of the last 12 hours.most of the worst weather will skirt by us to the north, but we could always get a strong storm down here.

The weather could get a little bumpy down here maybe Sunday night, or Monday, strong cold front passes through.I'll keep an eye on it.

13 hours ago, wood said:

Hey PHD, how do you see next weekend shaping up in terms of rain? The forecasts have been changing seemingly every ten minutes.Is it too early to tell? I know you like a challenge ...

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Seconded.  Asking for a race track...

First, hold onto yer asses.  What we know as summer is fucking gone starting late tonight.  There is going to be an almost 50° swing in "comfort index" (what it "feels like" out there).  Temps are going to linger in the 50s-70-s all week.  

It's completely, utterly unlike any weather we've had since about March.  It's here.

Next week there's another little shot of reinforcing cool air. so temps will be brisk.  How much rain accompanies that is always up for grabs, this far out especially.  But for now these types of cool fronts don't generate tons of long-lasting rain  I'm thinking right now Saturday > Sunday.  Saturday will be cloudy and damp, with periods of light rain.  But not a washout.  Sunday will be partly cloudy with rain out of the picture more or less.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, troph said:

Wow 670 now.

Double digit rain west of Travis in 48 hours. Llano looks dangerous.

Holy sheit!

They're predicting 680 by the end of this rainfall event.  That's pretty crazy given where we were a little over  3 weeks ago.

Major flooding events out west, prayers for all.

14 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

Water within a foot or two of the road on the bridge in llano. That’s not good 

That's incredible, as in, that's hard to believe. To be clear, I do believe you though. I've crossed that bridge maybe 100 times and have never imagined the water could get that high. If you can, please post some pics.

P.S. Username checks out.