Texas Intercity Rivalries

MaybeACoordinator

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Native Houstonian-- and by that I mean the city of Houston. Not fucking Katy, cypress, Woodlands. Houston. This gets confused by some people who want to talk shit. This also goes for the people who say they're from Houston, but are actually from Pearland or some other cookie cutter suburb next to us with over bearing police. It's not that you don't like Houston. You don't like (insert aggy neighborhood.) Oh yeah, and since we're on the subject, very few aggy actually reside in Houston. That stupid narrative is completely false and we should know this because aggy doesn't live in populations with "ethnicity."

This is an important point. Houston has the largest population of Texas Exes in the state. They all live inside the loop. All the aggies live in the burbs. They are very, very different places.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yea it was slightly exaggerated.    But I do think for the longest time, Houston had an inferiority complex to Dallas because it was kind of true all the dirty work for the Oil/Gas industry was done in the Houston area while many of the same companies had most if not all their white collar workforce in the glass office towers in Dallas along with the banks who fed off that oil money.    Hence that is one reason Houston loved the Enron era  and  having Compaq computers headquarted there, etc.    It did what NASA and being a major medical center (MD Anderson) couldn't do and give Houston something it  could  brag about although we all  know the Enron thing didn't end well.    But now all of that is kind irrelevant and any disgust with each other is silly.   Especially since both NFL franchises pretty much suck... LOL.

I think this is historically true, if not so much anymore.  Dallas has always been the banking and finance capital of the state.  The early oil industry was very blue collar and employed a lot of former seamen.  The two have more or less converged, with more oil tech in Houston, and more other-tech in Dallas, and about equal amounts of law, finance, real estate and general bidness in both.  Dallas real estate is still prone to overexuberance rarely seen outside Miami and SoCal, though.

The post about suburbs is so true.  For decades, singles and young marrieds could live in center city Austin and ignore generica in the 'burbs.  In Dallas and Houston, center city is not affordable for most and hasn't been in decades, so 'burbs it is; just like Austin has finally become. Center city Houston and Dallas have neighborhoods that are just as attractive and charming as Austin, if a bit less geographically interesting, .  Now ain't nobody can afford to live there in any of the three.

13 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Going to UT, everyone told me how much I'd love Austin. The nightlife, the food, the music, etc. They were right to an extent (unpopular opinion incoming) but to be perfectly honest, Austin is too trendy, "let's distort the meaning of 'Keep Austin Weird' to mean whatever the fuck you want it to be," fake Hollywood of the south, and the traffic makes absolutely no fucking sense. Austin has its charm but I guess it's too "weird" for me to live there. Plus it's expensive as shit. 

Very accurate.  By the time I had completed my seven year stint in Austin, I was so very tired of the contrived trendiness and the "accomodation" of ne'erdowells from dragworms up to the keep austin weird types featured so prominently in Slacker.  I just could not see myself getting on with life in Austin.

And my last year in law school, I lived in Tarrytown, away from campus and its weirdness, and spent the summer studying for the bar, so it more resembled attempting actual life than just being a student dipshit.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Most of us valley folk don’t like Laredo, mostly because it’s a shithole and geography-challenged northern people always think it’s part of the valley. It’s almost 2 hours away. 

Not gonna lie, I'm guilty of that (or used to be), same thing with Del Rio.  My best friend used to live in Harlingen and a couple of years back, his kid's HS played Laredo United in a playoff game in SA.  I couldn't understand why they were playing in San Antonio until I looked at a map.  

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This is an important point. Houston has the largest population of Texas Exes in the state. They all live inside the loop. All the aggies live in the burbs. They are very, very different places.

Most of my students want to get jobs in Austin when they graduate.  That's hard to do, so I usually tell them to look for jobs in Houston.  The ones who aren't from Houston don't want to do that, and I tell them, "Get a job in Houston, pay more than you want to for an apartment inside the loop, and I guarantee you will love it."  I have yet to have someone tell me I was wrong. 

I don't think I could say that about Dallas.

Edited by Beau Vine

I’ve lived in all major cities of Texas except San Antonio, and there are great things about all of them including SA. I could live anywhere, and never understood the rivalry thing. I live in a neighborhood in Dallas that I would try and stay in, always, for the foreseeable future. Nobody I know ever concerns themselves with Austin, Houston or FW, except to bitch about Austin traffic. Rivalries seem to be manufactured by losers in those cities or on message board threads. 

This right here. My friends and I never think about Dallas. We certainly never talk about it. I like to visit Dallas though.

Can I see the actual stats that show that all the Longhorns in Houston live inside the loop and all aggy live in the burbs?  I do not deny that there is a ton of aggy here, and likely most with families live in the burbs, but I am guessing most of the Longhorns with families also live in the burbs.  I do, my two brothers do, my dad does, Huckleberry above does.  I did spend several years in the Heights and Oak Forest.  There were plenty of aggy in both those hoods.

I usually talk shit about Dallas as a joke.  I haven't spent enough real time there to know whether it sucks or not.  I have gone there for football and soccer games and had fun.  If we are all being honest, every major city in Texas are very similar.  More expensive to live in the urban center and there is where most of the "culture" is.  Typically the younger adults are there as they don't have the burden of the cost of children.  The burbs in every major city here are the exact same.  The only thing that is different is what they are close to.  In Austin, you are close to UT, the Hill Country.  In Houston, you are close to arts and diverse food scene.  In Dallas, you are close to transgendered women being murdered and Rex Kramer.  In San Antonio you have all the missions, blending of Latino and Texan cultures into what most people call Texan as well as the nearby Hill Country.

So like several have said, all the cities here have good and bad and really don't differ so drastically.

19 minutes ago, The University said:

bandera is full of a buncha uppity bitches. that's all i got.

The guys in Bandera try to talk like the cowboy in Big Lebowski. The women all sound like Marge Simpson's sisters. I don't think it's a put-on with the women, I think that's how they really talk.

Most of us valley folk don’t like Laredo, mostly because it’s a shithole and geography-challenged northern people always think it’s part of the valley. It’s almost 2 hours away. 

As a former valleyite., I agree. We also hate Laredo being called part of the RGV. Shit we get pissed when Zapata is called the valley too.

17 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Most of my students want to get jobs in Austin when they graduate.  That's hard to do, so I usually tell them to look for jobs in Houston.  The ones who aren't from Houston don't want to do that, and I tell them, "Get a job in Houston, pay more than you want to for an apartment inside the loop, and I guarantee you will love it."  I have yet to have someone tell me I was wrong. 

I don't think I could say that about Dallas.

When I moved to Houston it was for my first job out of UT. Even being somewhat familiar with the city, I wasn't excited. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I ended up enjoying it far more than I thought  - even if I paid what I wanted for an apartment outside the loop. I still find Austin to have a higher quality of life, but it is quite possible that I'll be moving back to Houston within the next 12-18 months and I certainly have a different outlook on that prospect now.

I will say the same is true for Dallas. Everyone I know that has moved up there as a young adult settled in nicely and enjoyed their time. Several still live there by choice. Dallas sterotypes exist for a reason - looking at you, Uptown/Park Cities - but there is far more to the city than that. Same goes for Houston. 

Not sure what you are talking about here.  Dallas is home to several major oil and gas companies, but Houston has far more white collar oil and gas industry jobs than Dallas and it has been that way for decades.   Houston also has more oil and gas company headquarters (though the Houston area and the Dallas Metroplex have about the same number of fortune 500 company headquarters overall).  And even if not a headquarters, virtually every major oil and gas company has an office in Houston with a large contingent of engineers and other professionals, while the same is not true for Dallas.  The reason Houston is often referred to as the energy capital of the world is not because of its blue collar workforce.  Also, I don't think there was a single person in all of Houston who felt more pride in having the Enron and Compaq headquarters reside here than in being the home of NASA.        

More so back in the day like in the 70s and 80s. I know it’s a totally different now.

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Can I see the actual stats that show that all the Longhorns in Houston live inside the loop and all aggy live in the burbs?  I do not deny that there is a ton of aggy here, and likely most with families live in the burbs, but I am guessing most of the Longhorns with families also live in the burbs.  I do, my two brothers do, my dad does, Huckleberry above does.  I did spend several years in the Heights and Oak Forest.  There were plenty of aggy in both those hoods.

I usually talk shit about Dallas as a joke.  I haven't spent enough real time there to know whether it sucks or not.  I have gone there for football and soccer games and had fun.  If we are all being honest, every major city in Texas are very similar.  More expensive to live in the urban center and there is where most of the "culture" is.  Typically the younger adults are there as they don't have the burden of the cost of children.  The burbs in every major city here are the exact same.  The only thing that is different is what they are close to.  In Austin, you are close to UT, the Hill Country.  In Houston, you are close to arts and diverse food scene.  In Dallas, you are close to transgendered women being murdered and Rex Kramer.  In San Antonio you have all the missions, blending of Latino and Texan cultures into what most people call Texan as well as the nearby Hill Country.

So like several have said, all the cities here have good and bad and really don't differ so drastically.

The first part about Houston having the most Texas Exes of any city in the state was something I came about when I first started looking seriously at moving there ~5 years ago. I don't know how that compares to the number of A&M grads - sounds like it's similar based on your second post.

The inner loop vs burbs was definitely hyperbole on my part. Obviously there are some suburban older longhorn families and some aggy frat daddies in Midtown. In my experience that divide does exist, but obviously my experience is a sample size of one and not worth much. I'd be interested to see the actual distribution too. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i grew up in Houston. i have not been a fan, left for college in Austin and never even entertained returning. my mother was the only reason i ever kept returning. it always just felt...gross. too many memories. ugly and sticky. i was raised there but i'm from Austin, if you know what i mean...

mom passed in January and i had to return Memorial Day weekend for probate hearing. 

given the solemness of the occasion, we decided to try something different...we visited as tourists. 

spent 2 nights at the Magnolia downtown. parked the car and rode the metrorail everywhere. saw Van Gough exhibit. the MFAH is HUGE. drinks on hotel rooftop. room service for breakfast. italian at Osso and Kristalla, tacos at Bodega, lamb chops and braised shortribs at Hearsay, etouffe at Treebeards (i checked surly for recommendations!). walked a few miles. explored downtown like i'd never been there. in fact, i can't remember the last time i was (mom lived out past Hwy 6).

what i discovered...once you get away from the strip malls, chain restaurants and ugliness of the suburbs...it was really nice. hotel was great and perfect location. we didn't have a bad meal (and they all seemed way cheaper than Austin!) downtown and museum district are historic and beautiful. public transportation was easy and fast. 

i was so glad we did that. i needed a...palate cleanser for Houston, and this did the trick. i have some really nice memories of the city now ❤
i'll still never live here, but i may visit again!

it was a good experience and i'd actually do it again. in the fall/winter! 😁

So many Houston haters turned Austinites never really lived in Houston at all. It's usually those people, and their counterparts from the DFW burbs, who are the nastiest critics of Houston and Dallas, when they really mean Cypress or McKinney. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No stats, just my experience. And those aggy you talk of are either 2%er or it's their second home and they can't wait to leave but have to stay from time to time. It's rare for red ass to show itself in urban settings. Normal people usually don't tolerate such buffoonery and the culture of Houston couldn't be more different than that of aggy. 

Yes, there are plenty of horns in the burbs too. The reasons for which differ vastly from their aggy neighbors. Most horns look at priorities like school district, property value, crime, etc. aggy look to live with "like minded" individuals and avoid all the "rift raft." I'll let y'all interpret that how you wish. 

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

So many Houston haters turned Austinites never really lived in Houston at all. It's usually those people, and their counterparts from the DFW burbs, who are the nastiest critics of Houston and Dallas, when they really mean Cypress or McKinney. 

This is why anytime it's brought up, you specifically ask what part. I couldn't count on both hands how many conversations I've had end awkwardly with "yeah, but that ain't Houston tho..."

One other thing I hear all the time is "I don't like Houston because it's full of crime and thugs." First, it's bs and usually carries a racial undertone. Second, it's the 4th largest city (or 3rd, don't know if Chicago's population has kept pace.) If this stereotype were 100% true, then these same people (usually fashionistas and hipster fucks) shouldn't be infatuated with new York, LA or Chicago. It's not like those cities have a reputation for being safe from vice. 

38 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

i imagine that's true..but i did actually grow up more 'in' Houston. still probably the burbs back then, Inwood area. mom moved west near Katy after i graduated. 

as an aside... the area i grew up in was super nice back then, but i think it's one of the worst areas now. seems i read a few years ago that Antoine area had one of the highest crime rates in the city. that's so weird to imagine, some of my friends homes in Inwood Forest and Candlelight Forest and Inwood Oaks seemed like mansions! 

I don’t care about Dallas or Houston or Sam Antonio.  I think their positives outweighs their negatives.   But I suppose I think of them as often as they think of me 

having said that and spending a great deal of time there, Fort Worth and El Paso are very underrated cities and are in most ways better than those other three 

57 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i imagine that's true..but i did actually grow up more 'in' Houston. still probably the burbs back then, Inwood area. mom moved west near Katy after i graduated. 

as an aside... the area i grew up in was super nice back then, but i think it's one of the worst areas now. seems i read a few years ago that Antoine area had one of the highest crime rates in the city. that's so weird to imagine, some of my friends homes in Inwood Forest and Candlelight Forest and Inwood Oaks seemed like mansions! 

Inwood is kinda coming back, but yeah, Antoine etc is a mess. Apartment complex hell. 

The biggest difference between Dallas and Houston is the weather. I like it when there is something resembling a winter. When I saw a grasshopper on a mildly frost burnt blade of johnsongrass in mid January I decided that I would prefer to live north of Waco. I watched cool fronts get to Jerusalem on the Brazos and die. There they were up in DFW enjoying a high temperature of 75 while I had another day of butt sweat. The shrimp at the HEB were not worth it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This right here is what makes the area between from San Antonio to Austin attractive for  many who want to relocate from other parts of the state to either retire or start over some place else.   I grew up in the RGV and have lived in the Corpus area for some 27 years now and when the nest is empty in few years, we are making the move to somewhere in that area so we can have easy access to Austin and San Antonio like Blanco, Bulverde, Wimberley, etc .   I have the Hill Country in my soul, but one must keep their roots watered with the culture you grew up in.   So moving to that area would still give us relatively good access to  my business interests, friends and family in the Coastal Bend and the RGV.   Ideally I'd like to keep condo at South Padre or Port A,  but that is way down the road when I join the Surly 1% crowd.  LOL. 

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's put it this way: My hate for Oklahoma is well known. So is my love for Texas. If I had to choose between living in Oklahoma and living in College Station, well, let's be honest. I would kill myself.

Related image

Don't have an opinion one way or another on Houston. It's usually a piss break stop on the way to Galveston for me. The weather sucks but the food is good. Had some good times at Treasures back in the day. There was also a decent restaurant in the gayborhood that served a great brie and green apple appetizer on Sunday Fundays. Their Dallas obsession is weird as no one outside of Houston gave a shit about the Oilers.

I'm biased on DFW. It's a great place to raise a family. There is enough to do if you know the lay of the land. The downtown area is a wasteland though Uptown is cool. Deep Ellum is seeing a bit of a resurgence, which is nice. Ft. Worth is a nice change of pace and my go-to spot for bringing out of town visitors that want the stereotypes. Dallas has the hottest women IMO. 

There is nothing redeeming about SA outside of the Tex-Mex. Not my cup of tea.

Austin, on the other hand, is somewhat comical. Everyone there thumps their chest about how they used to be the hot chick while refusing to accept the fact that they have aged poorly. They are Dallas/Houston Lite now with better scenery and expensive housing. Austin pre-9/11 was the shit. I wouldn't want to live there now though. It's a cool place to go if you've never been out of Texas these days.

I don't think about El Paso or the RGV unless they're in the news for a Cartel killing. 

23 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Every city  in the RGV hates each other, especially on Friday night's in fall. 

But if you dare say anything negative of one of cities down there and you live north of the check points,  oh shit  they will let you have it.   It will unite the cholos from Rio Grande City to Brownsville.  

Brownsville secretly wishes it was McAllen.

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

I don't think about El Paso or the RGV unless they're in the news for a Cartel killing. 

Fun fact: Dallas is statistically a lot more dangerous than either of those places. But why let facts get in the way of a nice stereotype. 

23 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Killeen is gonna be so angry when they hear about being left off your list.

Nah, fuck Temple and Belton.  Harker Heights looks down on Killeen though even though they're basically the same damn thing.

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Even Copperas Cove is laughing at Killeen.

Nah, Cove is the laughing stock of the whole middle region of the state.  Once they built the 190 bypass that goes around Cove, that city can pretty much cease to exist.

23 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Killeen will kill you, though. Won't even flinch.

That's true.  Killen gives no fucks.

Not to laugh at anyone's misfortune but a multi-million $$ mansion in The Woodlands burned to the ground yesterday.  While I don't live in THAT neighborhood you could see the smoke plume and the ABC 13 chopper in the sky.

Reportette at the scene is jabbering away while a steady stream of cars containing on lookers cruises by....Jags, Cayennes, multiple BMWs, and Land Rovers.  Yeah, The Woodlands can still bring it.

What's the point?  F**k the haters......Woodlands baby, yay....

• Like 1

I'm contemplating a move to Austin or Dallas. I'm from Corpus, lived in Dallas for a while, and Tulsa/Stillwater the rest of the time. I'm not really considering Houston because I see it as mostly an oil and gas town and I have no desire to work in that industry. I know there is a lot more, but I'm more familiar with Dallas having lived there, and I think Austin is a place I would enjoy. However, I would need to make enough to avoid the suburbs and find place that is walkable. Those are in short supply in Dallas and Austin, but that's true of pretty much anywhere outside the east coast.

From my time living in Dallas, I never felt a rivalry other than Texans fans being jersey wearing obnoxious losers.  From my roots in Corpus, I actually like the Astros better than the Rangers, and the Rangers' dumbass move to build the new stadium in Arlington and not Dallas seals that it is a shitty suburban franchise I just don't care about. The Cowboys should also be in Dallas, but at least its only 8 games a year and I prefer to watch football on TV anyway as opposed to baseball, which in my opinion is better in person. Baseball has so many games it should be easy to walk to the stadium  from work on a weeknight for a game every now and then. I'm not packing up the fucking family on a Tuesday for a two hour round trip to see a ballgame. I also lived in Corpus during the Hakeem Olajuwon championships, so I still have a soft spot for that franchise, but I lived in Dallas during the Dirk Days so I'm a MFFL now. And fuck James Harden, hated him in OKC, hate him now.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I'm contemplating a move to Austin or Dallas. I'm from Corpus, lived in Dallas for a while, and Tulsa/Stillwater the rest of the time. I'm not really considering Houston because I see it as mostly an oil and gas town and I have no desire to work in that industry. I know there is a lot more, but I'm more familiar with Dallas having lived there, and I think Austin is a place I would enjoy. However, I would need to make enough to avoid the suburbs and find place that is walkable. Those are in short supply in Dallas and Austin, but that's true of pretty much anywhere outside the east coast.

From my time living in Dallas, I never felt a rivalry other than Texans fans being jersey wearing obnoxious losers.  From my roots in Corpus, I actually like the Astros better than the Rangers, and the Rangers' dumbass move to build the new stadium in Arlington and not Dallas seals that it is a shitty suburban franchise I just don't care about. The Cowboys should also be in Dallas, but at least its only 8 games a year and I prefer to watch football on TV anyway as opposed to baseball, which in my opinion is better in person. Baseball has so many games it should be easy to walk to the stadium  from work on a weeknight for a game every now and then. I'm not packing up the fucking family on a Tuesday for a two hour round trip to see a ballgame. I also lived in Corpus during the Hakeem Olajuwon championships, so I still have a soft spot for that franchise, but I lived in Dallas during the Dirk Days so I'm a MFFL now. And fuck James Harden, hated him in OKC, hate him now.

I'm here in Corpus too.  Five years from now as my last born graduates from high school,  it's our hope we are making the move to central Texas with the Bulverde, Canyon Lake, Wimberley and Blanco areas being on our target list.   This area would give us easy access to both San Antonio and Austin.    And unfortunately the San Marcos Factory outlets for my wife.  LOL. 

Astros fan here, but I wish I could actually watch them on a regular basis.  Dang TV agreement the Astros have keeps them off Spectrum Cable.

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Not to laugh at anyone's misfortune but a multi-million $$ mansion in The Woodlands burned to the ground yesterday.  While I don't live in THAT neighborhood you could see the smoke plume and the ABC 13 chopper in the sky.

Reportette at the scene is jabbering away while a steady stream of cars containing on lookers cruises by....Jags, Cayennes, multiple BMWs, and Land Rovers.  Yeah, The Woodlands can still bring it.

What's the point?  F**k the haters......Woodlands baby, yay....

Too much aggy and fuck sitting on 45 an hour and a half just to get back in city limits. 

If you want to be surrounded by nice cars (I guess that's your thing?) There are plenty of neighborhoods not named river oaks you could live in for the same money and not have to spend half your life on a freeway. 

I like to amend my last statement on loving all of Texas. Should've thrown a bcs disclaimer and kerrville is coming close to being included. 

Edited by BigHorn'13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Too much aggy and fuck sitting on 45 an hour and a half just to get back in city limits. 

If you want to be surrounded by nice cars (I guess that's your thing?) There are plenty of neighborhoods not named river oaks you could live in for the same money and not have to spend half your life on a freeway. 

I like to amend my last statement on loving all of Texas. Should've thrown a bcs disclaimer and kerrville is coming close to being included. 

The key is to work in the woodlands and live there. No sitting on 45 then and it’s a 20 minute hop to Hooks or IAH to leave for nicer weather when the summer heat gets old.