The Supremes

tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If I see anything Jingoistic at this point I assume GQP. 

That’s a problem. The fight for democracy and constitutional order needs a flag to rally around. I propose to you that the best and most appropriate symbol for the union is the American flag.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s a problem. The fight for democracy and constitutional order needs a flag to rally around. I propose to you that the best and most appropriate symbol for the union is the American flag.

But in the shape of the punisher mask right? right?!

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Now what happens, after Leonard Leo had paid Thomas to write this tripe, is that another of Leo's associated entities will run to a trial court to lose, will run to an appellate court to lose, and will run to the supreme Court where Alito will write the majority opinion claiming quite loudly that this isn't something invented out of whole cloth, see Thomas, J., in dissent (see, e.g., Thomas, J., concurring, opinion of Thomas, J.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

During the deepest depths of 2020 I was being recruited for a very big job with a very big company that would have been a giant pain in the ass but also a huge increase in income. 
Around that same time I was deep diving on the time between the world wars and rereading contemporaneous histories of the period, ie Churchill, Shirer etc.

The recruiting process was secret, so things went out of order. I had a very promising discussion on zoom with the external recruiter, then an NDA, followed by a nearly two hour love fest with the hiring C-suite officer, followed the next day with a discussion of process and management styles with a global HR exec. All on Zoom. 
During the HR discussion there was a strange moment where her face and tone changed sharply and went very much from a conversation between future colleagues to an awkward and uncomfortable encounter- from that moment she could not end the call soon enough.

Even more odd given the need for secrecy- the process ended immediately with them going dark, which is not usually the case with executive hiring discussions. I found out they made a hire when the press release dropped. I wasn’t offended, I was almost certainly the least senior person they were talking to, and honestly they made a great hire. 

That said, I moved this book off my middle shelf to avoid any possible future confusion.

image.thumb.png.c18043e479b53771b975c471e0bcb651.png

Funny.  Way back in the early 90s I was on staff at a Boy Scout summer camp and we had free time here and there and I would often haul a book around with me to make use of said free time.  When I got to hauling around this one, the Program Director, my boss - who also happened to be Jewish - was like, "Hey Chad, I'm all for you reading whatever you want, but maybe you don't want to be hauling that around outside your daypack.  You may even want to put a more discreet book cover on it."  Message received.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Funny.  Way back in the early 90s I was on staff at a Boy Scout summer camp and we had free time here and there and I would often haul a book around with me to make use of said free time.  When I got to hauling around this one, the Program Director, my boss - who also happened to be Jewish - was like, "Hey Chad, I'm all for you reading whatever you want, but maybe you don't want to be hauling that around outside your daypack.  You may even want to put a more discreet book cover on it."  Message received.  

Then you broke all the windows in his cabin and wrote Juden Swine on his door?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

"Hey Chad, I'm all for you reading whatever you want, but maybe you don't want to be hauling that around outside your daypack.  You may even want to put a more discreet book cover on it."

"We're also going to call you Chad F."

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'd say 57, one for each state

Fuck all that. One for every properly-drawn Congressional district.

Plus DC and each territory.

Edited by chainsaw

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

During the deepest depths of 2020 I was being recruited for a very big job with a very big company that would have been a giant pain in the ass but also a huge increase in income. 
Around that same time I was deep diving on the time between the world wars and rereading contemporaneous histories of the period, ie Churchill, Shirer etc.

The recruiting process was secret, so things went out of order. I had a very promising discussion on zoom with the external recruiter, then an NDA, followed by a nearly two hour love fest with the hiring C-suite officer, followed the next day with a discussion of process and management styles with a global HR exec. All on Zoom. 
During the HR discussion there was a strange moment where her face and tone changed sharply and went very much from a conversation between future colleagues to an awkward and uncomfortable encounter- from that moment she could not end the call soon enough.

Even more odd given the need for secrecy- the process ended immediately with them going dark, which is not usually the case with executive hiring discussions. I found out they made a hire when the press release dropped. I wasn’t offended, I was almost certainly the least senior person they were talking to, and honestly they made a great hire. 

That said, I moved this book off my middle shelf to avoid any possible future confusion.

image.thumb.png.c18043e479b53771b975c471e0bcb651.png

I narrowly avoided a similar incident while working from my parent's house a few years ago. I noticed that book behind me just as the Zoom meeting was starting. Had to turn off my camera and remove it from the bookshelf lol.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

99 justices. Any fewer is cowardice. 

Make the supreme Court into the Senate, the senate into the house, and the house into something needing a mid-sized arena to hold. 

Edited by elfenix
(size wise. Letting each state name two justices because Madison slept on the right side of the bed 250 years ago is a bad idea)
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tx ind said:

What's the actual procedure to expand the court? 

Article III, Section 1 of the Constitution gives Congress the authority to change the size of the Supreme Court. Congress has used that authority seven times before. To restore balance and integrity to a broken institution, Congress must expand the Supreme Court by four or more seats

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

OK, fuck all this freedom and liberty bullshit.  I'm having a Skinny Bitch* (or several, I've lost count) right now and would like to weigh in on an important topic.

I would like to speak for a moment about Sam "Tract House" Alito.  Got damn, if I was a Supreme Court judge and lived in a fucking dump like this I might be pissed as well.  No "faithfully restored 1920s cottage from a locally active architect" house for you!  No, Alito, while all ya boys with the big fucking dollar who have been screwing the working poor out of their meager wages and fly them private jets everywhere while you live under asphalt shingles and production trusses and "brick in the front to impress all the people and siding on the side, cuz, you gotta stretch that $200.000 salary."  

I was a casual employee at the post office in Lubbock in 1992 when I was a graduate student.  Before I started (mainly sorting junk mail in bundle by zip code) I had to watch a movie entitled "Was It Worth It."  It was narrated by James Olmos Williams, the guy with the bad skin from Miami Vice. It was meant to keep dirtbag casual employees (i.e., Tech architecture graduate students) from stealing the money out of birthday cards.  

So, Sam, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself.  Was it worth it?

(You have no idea how long it took to type this.  Damn them skinny bitches).

image.thumb.jpeg.f3e7de7bf07211d47cf9cb0c93b3cae6.jpeg

*By this I don't mean to imply that I'm having sex with a thin woman with resting bitch face, like, for instance Paris Hilton.  A Skinny Bitch for all you fat beer drinking slobs (not "snobs" since it's impossible in my cultured opinion to be a snob about beer) is a Diet Coke and Vodka.  So Paris Hilton and I have that in common.  

Edited by Bullneck

Supreme Court upholds S.C. election maps gerrymandering Black voters out of competitive district

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/05/23/south-carolina-election-map-supreme-court-decision-gerrymandering/

South Carolina election maps that moved Black voters out of a competitive congressional district are legal, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

In a 6-3 decision, the nation’s highest court overturned a federal court decision that ruled the maps were unconstitutional and violated the 14th Amendment. The court split along ideological lines, with the six conservatives comprising the majority while the three liberals dissented.

The challengers provided no direct evidence of a racial gerrymander, and their circumstantial evidence is very weak,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion. “Instead the challengers relied on deeply flawed expert reports.”

South Carolina’s 1st District, currently represented by Republican Rep. Nancy Mace, was hotly contested during the 2020 election, and Mace won it by 1%. But in 2022, after the district was redrawn, she cruised to reelection by 14%.

Alito is on a mission. The Court must be expanded

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I mean, say what you will about the Nazis, but they didn't appropriate the tricolor of the Weimar Republic or steal the flag of the German Empire.  Fuck no--they went out and created their own flag with its own design.  Which, admittedly, they lifted the Hindus.  But still . . . .

I wish our Nazis would make up their own fucking symbol and leave the good Revolutionary flags for those of us who actually support the country the Revolution founded.

I obviously feel seen.

IMG_1235.gif

You’d think that John Roberts would have a problem with the fact that his court is the least respected U.S. Supreme Court in modern American history and rein in these fuckwads. But I guess he’s fine with his legacy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I'm no conlaw scholar, so I don't pretend to understand the underlying 14A arguments, but on its face, Brown V BOE seems pretty self-explanatory and justified.  The 9-0 SCOTUS ruling would seem to support this viewpoint.

Is this guy just afflicted with a bad case of self-loathing?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no conlaw scholar, so I don't pretend to understand the underlying 14A arguments, but on its face, Brown V BOE seems pretty self-explanatory and justified.  The 9-0 SCOTUS ruling would seem to support this viewpoint.

uh, yeah, you new here? that's his entire persona

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You’d think that John Roberts would have a problem with the fact that his court is the least respected U.S. Supreme Court in modern American history and rein in these fuckwads. But I guess he’s fine with his legacy.

he’s not done shitting all over voter’s rights or he’d give a shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

My first year Con Law professor Lino Graglia made the same arguments as Thomas, that while the result of Brown is undeniably right, the process was flawed because the Court engaged in social science and “judicial legislation,” where the elected U.S. Congress accountable to the people should have decided de-segregation. 

I’m not saying I agree with that analysis in the fucking slightest. But that’s the Federalist Society dickwad logic.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My first year Con Law professor Lino Graglia made the same arguments as Thomas, that while the result of Brown is undeniably right, the process was flawed because the Court engaged in social science and “judicial legislation,” where the elected U.S. Congress accountable to the people should have decided de-segregation. 

Kinda feels like one of those "checks and balances" things.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I’m not saying I agree with that analysis in the fucking slightest. But that’s the Federalist Society dickwad logic.

I'm going to say that as a purely conceptual discussion of constitutional law, political philosophy, and the separation-of-powers doctrine, I understand this argument.  I maybe don't agree with it, but I understand the theoretical bases for it.

But in practice, it has no merit.  Injustice cannot go unremedied on the basis of vague constructs of political philosophy.  And to the extent your political philosophy permits such an outcome, then your philosophy is flawed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Satchel said:

The grifting butter biscuit wrote a concurring opinion to show black people just how much contempt he has for us.

Justice Samuel Alito, who wrote the majority opinion, said that courts should generally presume that lawmakers are telling the truth when they say their goal in redistricting is partisan, which is permissible, rather than based on race, which is not. 

I can't stop laughing (crying).

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

But in practice, it has no merit.  Injustice cannot go unremedied on the basis of vague constructs of political philosophy.  And to the extent your political philosophy permits such an outcome, then your philosophy is flawed.

Unless their honest intent is to let injustice go unremedied using the thin cover of vague constructs of political philosophy. It's called "using a shield as a sword" and fascist fucking love it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

He's the Dave Chapelle black white supremacist skit come to life.

I suspect him and Ginny have engaged in some bizarre "curb Palestinian chicken" type sex talk.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think maintaining control over the Senate and getting Biden re-elected should give them the green light to expand and balance the court.  It would be hard to rescind, and once expanded, it's unlikely the MAGA morons could justify another expansion in the near future.  It's really one of the only ways to get all this back on track.  And since this SC revisited Roe V Wade, it's only fair that a freshly balanced court revisits Citizens United.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 3