The Supremes

tx 3 putt

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It's toast.

Maybe the GOP doesn't even need to bother taking over Congress and Presidency if they can just get everything in front of the Supreme Court.

That has been the plan all along imo and not just at the SC level.  

Analysis: 'Aggressively conservative' Supreme Court plunges into U.S. culture wars

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government/aggressively-conservative-supreme-court-plunges-into-us-culture-wars-2022-01-25/

Just wait until they get ahold of workers….

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It's toast.

Maybe the GOP doesn't even need to bother taking over Congress and Presidency if they can just get everything in front of the Supreme Court.

Yes, but just think what they will do when they have all 3, which sadly will happen in the next 3 years most likely.  

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yes, but just think what they will do when they have all 3, which sadly will happen in the next 3 years most likely.  

It's absolutely happening. 

I used to know a GOP lobbyist when our kids went to preschool together. The one thing he casually said 15 years ago that has always stuck with me was that each state legislature should have the authority to approve political parties before they could be listed on ballots in their states to prevent fringe movements.  I don't know if that was his own personal right wing fantasy or if that was something there'll eventually be movement for.  Regardless, it's pretty goddamn disturbing someone would even have that idea because we all know what the GQP would call a fringe movement.

6 hours ago, alincoln said:

Harvard's "incomplete" internal study stated that Asian's would comprise 43% of accepted students if the admission standard was "academics only".  

Well that doesn't leave much room for legacies, athletes, and children of faculty and staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanna make any bets on whether the GQP (including Manchin and Sinema) even let Biden’s nominee come up for a vote?

The GQP simply won’t allow any Biden nominee to be seated.

Manchin blocking the nomination of a black woman sounds about like how things will go down.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanna make any bets on whether the GQP (including Manchin and Sinema) even let Biden’s nominee come up for a vote?

The GQP simply won’t allow any Biden nominee to be seated.

This is nonsense. Biden will get his one and probably only justice this time around. It’s a democrat replacing a democrat so I don’t expect fierce Republican opposition. Especially after trump and the republicans confirmed 3 and literally just stole one of those 3.

2 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

This is nonsense. Biden will get his one and probably only justice this time around. It’s a democrat replacing a democrat so I don’t expect fierce Republican opposition. Especially after trump and the republicans confirmed 3 and literally just stole one of those 3.

I fully expect the GOP to do everything they can to prevent a replacement from being confirmed, but they don't have the power to do so without help. They still want revenge for Kavanaugh though and will delight in the ability to fire up their base by trying to attack the intelligence of a blank woman, so they're not going to make it easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Yours is an interesting (read: extraordinarily naive) perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

giphy.gif

It's called spite, and it's in their DNA.

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Republicans pretty much won on this issue already, there’s really no reason for them to try and block this appointment. 

condescending-oh-really.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I fully expect the GOP to do everything they can to prevent a replacement from being confirmed, but they don't have the power to do so without help. They still want revenge for Kavanaugh though and will delight in the ability to fire up their base by trying to attack the intelligence of a blank woman, so they're not going to make it easy.

What incentive does the GOP have to fight this and possibly look bad and hurt their chances in the midterms?

the current court make up is 6-3 right? We’re replacing a dem with a dem?  The obvious Republican move is to play it safe and don’t piss anyone off. Just preserve the status quo.

• Hook 'Em 1

Those of you who think this will all move along without Republicans throwing an absolute, obstructionist shit-fit... I wish I shared your optimism. But partisan politics over the last 6 years has me absolutely politically exhausted. This process will take 4 times as long than it needs to and we'll be hearing bad takes from all sides for months.

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

What incentive does the GOP have to fight this and possibly look bad and hurt their chances in the midterms?

the current court make up is 6-3 right? We’re replacing a dem with a dem?  The obvious Republican move is to play it safe and don’t piss anyone off. Just preserve the status quo.

Outside of the fact that their base celebrates and supports every time they "fight" the evil libs and it improves support at midterms for their voters? Seriously, it's like a litmus test at this point as for who is going to "be a good patriot and fight" the liberals. You've got it backwards here, bud. 

Who are they pissing off exactly? Biden's approval ratings are in the toilet and they're not turning around any time soon. They smell blood, and they're going to take it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What incentive does the GOP have to fight this .... and hurt their chances in the midterms?

Fighting the Democrats on everything is exactly what their base wants. Not fighting Democrats gets you hurt in midterms as a Republican incumbent.

11 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

News flash: they stole all 3

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

What incentive does the GOP have to fight this and possibly look bad and hurt their chances in the midterms?

You really think they care if they look bad? To their supporters, not doing everything possible to stall and prevent an appointment is what looks bad.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Outside of the fact that their base celebrates and supports every time they "fight" the evil libs and it improves support at midterms for their voters? Seriously, it's like a litmus test at this point as for who is going to "be a good patriot and fight" the liberals. You've got it backwards here, bud. 

Who are they pissing off exactly? Biden's approval ratings are in the toilet and they're not turning around any time soon. They smell blood, and they're going to take it. 

Independents and moderate democrats / republicans could be turned off by the GOP’s behavior and cost them votes.

• Haha 4

I know that retiring jurists usually wait until the successor is confirmed before stepping down. Is there any reason not to nominate/confirm someone now, and hold off on the swearing-in until after the court session ends in June?

I don't see Manchin and Sinema being too much of a barrier unless Biden goes far far left in his choice. I'm probably naive especially as I read what I just typed.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

It's called spite, and it's in their DNA.

condescending-oh-really.gif

You’ll see the normal theatrics associated with these hearings, of course. But as evidenced by Breyer’s retirement in January, the Republicans are sitting pretty for the midterms. Upsetting the Apple cart just to move the court from a 6-3 majority to a 7-2 majority would be unnecessarily risky.

Independents and moderate democrats / republicans could be turned off by the GOP’s behavior and cost them votes.

Wut? If trump didn't turn them, nothing will. They are hopeless. We are a failed democracy. This pick might be yet another landmine towards the collapse.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Brent Kavanaugh's stomach-turning confirmation hearing didn't turn anyone off to the GOP. If anything, it won them Senate seats.