So I'm in Santa Monica, sitting on a bench on Ocean Ave...

crash_davis

Well you can't have a fire on the beach anymore. It's amazing how the city has changed since John Ritter lived there. Peoples republic and all. Smoke a joint in the street is fine. Beer on the beach? absolutely not. Football on the beach? Nope. Your dog? Nope. Any kind of fun? Nope.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

everclear did put out some good jams in their day...

"Sparkle & Fade" is one of the most underrated 90's rock albums.  Damn near every song is great.

They sure went on to get embarrassingly bad a couple of albums later though.

• Like 3

Nice dressed Asian guy with the nope, not sitting there. He moved down to take a pic of the Pacific.
https://i.ibb.co/25pZhCW/IMG-20190814-180903.jpg
Family is done shopping and I gotta piss. Leaving the bag. Hope some kids don't find it.
I'm tripping balls at the Asian guy taking pics leaning over. But truthfully I'd do the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I moved to the next bench. People are walking over to sit down, see the white bag and keep moving. 

Two old white French dudes, one wearing a fucking beret, sit down takes a drag on a pipe with weed, look at the bag and say something in French, get up and leave.

“old” ?

triggered

• Like 4

I moved to the next bench. People are walking over to sit down, see the white bag and keep moving. 

Two old white French dudes, one wearing a fucking beret, sit down takes a drag on a pipe with weed, look at the bag and say something in French, get up and leave.

“old” ?

triggered

“old” ?

triggered

15 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Btw it's been almost 10 years since I've been back here. Much nicer than I remembered, and by that I mean much less homeless people. They used to be all over the Promenade. Not so much anymore. They are still here but I think Austin has Santa Monica beat.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Back at hotel. I told the family that we're not going to the Getty tomorrow. We're going to sit and watch people all day. Shit was fascinating.

But you can do that at the Getty while being at... the Getty. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:40 PM, crash_davis said:

and a black homeless guy leaves this bag of white powder on the bench. I moved to this bench after he leaves because it's in the shade. Hmmmmm...what is it?

https://i.ibb.co/WyRPZ8X/IMG-20190814-173511.jpg

How do you know that he didn't just walk away because of the bag, just like the other non-black people?  Why assume it was his?  Are you racist?

On 8/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, DCA_HORN said:

Well you can't have a fire on the beach anymore.  Nope. Any kind of fun? Nope.

it's cuz you're in the wrong county...head south young man, head south. Orange County, where people who are serious about the beach go...Bolsa chica - fire pits.

Huntington state - fire pits.  Take your cruiser and ride the boardwalk.  Blackies at the first pier, Balboa saloon by the ferry. Ride all the way to the jetty, AKA "The Wedge", and check out Dick Dales old house. LA beachs suk dik...

I'll buy tomorrow @ Blackie's... red board shorts. red hawaiian shirt, short wife.

Edited by otisdog
specifics

spent thu and fri at hermos beach and manhattan beach watching the AVP Manhattan Beach.  my gawd the fucking scenery!  it's been years since we had visited that area.  we're putting it back on the vacation destinations rotation.  love the area.

i found my new girlfriend, zana muno.  she's from hermosa beach so it was cool watching her play and hearing the hometown crowd cheer her on.  

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, crash_davis said:

Btw it's been almost 10 years since I've been back here. Much nicer than I remembered, and by that I mean much less homeless people. They used to be all over the Promenade. Not so much anymore. They are still here but I think Austin has Santa Monica beat.

I was there last month.  Santa Monica had almost no homeless people on the beach.  But walk a mile south to Venice and as soon as the city limits changes they are everywhere.  Those two cities must have different policies on panhandling and camping.  Because the difference was drastic.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was there last month.  Santa Monica had almost no homeless people on the beach.  But walk a mile south to Venice and as soon as the city limits changes they are everywhere.  Those two cities must have different policies on panhandling and camping.  Because the difference was drastic.

Go further south into Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.  You'll hardly see any homeless people.  In the 3 days that I was there, I only saw a handful, and they were moving on the boardwalk.  Do not ever recall seeing any loitering anywhere, certainly not anywhere near the beach.  Whatever Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are doing, Austin should be emulating them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Go further south into Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.  You'll hardly see any homeless people.  In the 3 days that I was there, I only saw a handful, and they were moving on the boardwalk.  Do not ever recall seeing any loitering anywhere, certainly not anywhere near the beach.  Whatever Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are doing, Austin should be emulating them.

Did you walk through Venice? Because I did when we went surfing.  Homeless everywhere as soon as you hit the city limits.  This is what the Google says:

The main differences are the culture, physicality, types of restaurants and stores, laws, and types of people.

They are physically the same beach. In fact, you can see the demarcation line as you pass from one beach to the other. You can really see a different between the facilities, i.e. parks, bathrooms, and restaurants. On the Santa Monica side, they are clean, well painted, manicured lawns, and on the Venice Beach/Strand side, it looks very dingy, dirty, unkept. There are weeds growing, and there are trees that are not pruned, etc. The bathrooms seem to be cleaner in Santa Monica than Venice Beach. Venice Beach has the Strand, which is part of the bike and walk path, and has lots of shops and restaurants right off the beach. Santa Monica does not have this.

The laws are much different in Venice that Santa Monica. Venice is run by the City of Los Angeles, and Santa Monica is its own city. This leaves a lot of play for people to stretch the laws. For example, pot smoking is rampant, homeless, and panhandling is also rampant but the cops really just sit there and watch it in Venice. In Santa Monica, the cops are checking to see if you have open alcohol bottles, and if you are smoking pot, they likely will question you. Also, in Santa Monica, they don’t tolerate homeless loitering, camping, and generally sleeping. The SM Police actually ask the homeless people to pick up their things and move on. In Venice, the homeless have camps on the Strand, and on the beach.

Venice has more Tattoo and Piercing stores than restaurants. Santa Monica has a lot of restaurants and I don’t think I have seen a Tattoo Parlor on that beach side.

The people, Santa Monica beach has more tourists, and locals than Venice. Venice seems to have a lot of surfer, skateboarder, rastifarian, drummers, dude-type-people, grunge, pot-head, homeless, carefree, etc… Santa Monica has more of the upscale tourist, bikinis, yoga-type, joggers, swimmers, etc…

I live in Santa Monica, and I prefer the Santa Monica side. I don’t worry about stepping on drug paraphernalia, or broken beer bottles, or being hit up by a local homeless person for money. It’s more of a safety thing in my opinion.

That said, the Strand and Venice Beach seem to have more interesting people and activities, i.e. American Ninja Warrior, and on Wednesday they have some kind of a Jamaican drummer festival. There seems to be a better break off the Venice Beach jetty for surfing, than Santa Monica Beach has. I have walked both of them on a regular basis, but I prefer Santa Monica for personal reasons.

Edited by Johnny Sack

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did you walk through Venice? Because I did when we went surfing.  Homeless everywhere as soon as you hit the city limits.  This is what the Google says:

The main differences are the culture, physicality, types of restaurants and stores, laws, and types of people.

They are physically the same beach. In fact, you can see the demarcation line as you pass from one beach to the other. You can really see a different between the facilities, i.e. parks, bathrooms, and restaurants. On the Santa Monica side, they are clean, well painted, manicured lawns, and on the Venice Beach/Strand side, it looks very dingy, dirty, unkept. There are weeds growing, and there are trees that are not pruned, etc. The bathrooms seem to be cleaner in Santa Monica than Venice Beach. Venice Beach has the Strand, which is part of the bike and walk path, and has lots of shops and restaurants right off the beach. Santa Monica does not have this.

The laws are much different in Venice that Santa Monica. Venice is run by the City of Los Angeles, and Santa Monica is its own city. This leaves a lot of play for people to stretch the laws. For example, pot smoking is rampant, homeless, and panhandling is also rampant but the cops really just sit there and watch it in Venice. In Santa Monica, the cops are checking to see if you have open alcohol bottles, and if you are smoking pot, they likely will question you. Also, in Santa Monica, they don’t tolerate homeless loitering, camping, and generally sleeping. The SM Police actually ask the homeless people to pick up their things and move on. In Venice, the homeless have camps on the Strand, and on the beach.

Venice has more Tattoo and Piercing stores than restaurants. Santa Monica has a lot of restaurants and I don’t think I have seen a Tattoo Parlor on that beach side.

The people, Santa Monica beach has more tourists, and locals than Venice. Venice seems to have a lot of surfer, skateboarder, rastifarian, drummers, dude-type-people, grunge, pot-head, homeless, carefree, etc… Santa Monica has more of the upscale tourist, bikinis, yoga-type, joggers, swimmers, etc…

I live in Santa Monica, and I prefer the Santa Monica side. I don’t worry about stepping on drug paraphernalia, or broken beer bottles, or being hit up by a local homeless person for money. It’s more of a safety thing in my opinion.

That said, the Strand and Venice Beach seem to have more interesting people and activities, i.e. American Ninja Warrior, and on Wednesday they have some kind of a Jamaican drummer festival. There seems to be a better break off the Venice Beach jetty for surfing, than Santa Monica Beach has. I have walked both of them on a regular basis, but I prefer Santa Monica for personal reasons.

no arguments at all.  venice beach has austin level homelessness. 

i did see many homeless in SM.  they were along the "park" on ocean avenue.  but when i went 12+ years ago, the homeless were EVERYWHERE in SM, especially the 3rd st promenade.  remember, southpark had a show about busing the homeless from colorado to santa monica.  it seems like SM has made a concerted effort to address the homeless, although i don't know if that means finding homes for them or driving them south to venice or to dowtown LA.  i think it's the latter.  i think hermosa and manhattan beaches have the same not in my neighborhood hospitality.