Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

On 6/15/2020 at 1:49 PM, Captainant said:

EahumZJWsAEX3e9?format=jpg&name=medium

That's a big 'ol oof. Haircuts and bars are essential, yall

NY, NJ, MA, PA, IL all look at lot like those European graphs. At the other end of the spectrum, TX, CA, AZ, FL look bad even compared to the US chart. 

Update 6/16/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/8: 97 deaths

6/10: 99 deaths

6/11: 99 deaths

6/12: 101 deaths

6/13: 104 deaths

6/14: 104 deaths

6/15: 104 deaths

6/16: 106 deaths

Last 10 Days: +9

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/8: Hp - 87, ICU - 40, Vent - 25

6/10: Hp - 91, ICU - 36, Vent - 26

6/11: HP - 104, ICU - 44, Vent - 27

6/12: Hp - 112, ICU - 46, Vent - 26

6/13: Hp - 111, ICU - -48, Vent - 24

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

Last 10 Days: Hp: +70 (fuck), ICU: +19,Vent: +3

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 111             (6/7,6/9 used 88 so not 100% accurate)

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/12/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 57,657 (54.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           47,913

Total:                                                         105,570

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,442

NJ: 12,489

Mass: 7,538

Pennsylvania: 6,162

Illinois: 5,795

Total: 56,426 (53.4% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yes, it's been an incredibly painful event, both for businesses and for families. sometimes we all have to make painful sacrifices to try help our society. unfortunately, and predictably, those in the most pain continue to take the brunt of the sacrifice.

Yeah all of the businesses closed in black neighborhoods are such a tragedy caused by the rich people. 

1 minute ago, Texas Jeff said:

4098 new cases in Texas today!  Finally made it to the top of the list of states for cases per day.  Texas is COVID country....

You still have the daily record at NY’s 11,661 from April 15th to shoot for. 

49 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Update 6/16/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Kung Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

6/8: 97 deaths

6/10: 99 deaths

6/11: 99 deaths

6/12: 101 deaths

6/13: 104 deaths

6/14: 104 deaths

6/15: 104 deaths

6/16: 106 deaths

Last 10 Days: +9

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

6/8: Hp - 87, ICU - 40, Vent - 25

6/10: Hp - 91, ICU - 36, Vent - 26

6/11: HP - 104, ICU - 44, Vent - 27

6/12: Hp - 112, ICU - 46, Vent - 26

6/13: Hp - 111, ICU - -48, Vent - 24

6/14: Hp - 129, ICU - 52, Vent - 29

6/15: Hp - 142, ICU - 52, Vent - 31

6/16: HP - 158, ICU - 59, Vent - 28

Last 10 Days: Hp: +70 (fuck), ICU: +19,Vent: +3

Ten Day Average HP (rolling): 111             (6/7,6/9 used 88 so not 100% accurate)

10 Day Avg on 6/11 - 91.5

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 6/12/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 57,657 (54.6%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           47,913

Total:                                                         105,570

Top 5: Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 24,442

NJ: 12,489

Mass: 7,538

Pennsylvania: 6,162

Illinois: 5,795

Total: 56,426 (53.4% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=43566737

At least we're keeping vast majority of the new hospitlizations off the vent so far?

Edited by B00M
Typo
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

4098 new cases in Texas today!  Finally made it to the top of the list of states for cases per day.  Texas is COVID country....

Actually...

Updates

• 25,450 new cases and 849 new deaths in the United States

Texas: "The reported cases for June 16 include 2,622 new cases and 1,476 cases that were previously diagnosed among Texas Department of Criminal Justice inmates but that had not been reported by local health departments (887 from Anderson County and 589 from Brazoria County)." [source]

1 hour ago, heso said:

NY, NJ, MA, PA, IL all look at lot like those European graphs. At the other end of the spectrum, TX, CA, AZ, FL look bad even compared to the US chart. 

The problem with the NYT charts is that they don't use the same y axis.  All they are are exaggerated representations of the shape of the curve, which yields totally erroneous conclusions when you make these kind of comparisons.  I mean it is impossible to argue that NY, NJ, PA, etc. look better than Texas, CA, AZ, or FL. Although I would agree that in the grand scheme of things they resemble Italy and Spain moreso than TX. 

EanL31nUEAACPY-?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EanLZ97U8AAqMXd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EaNmfpWVcAAbltD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 3

I just post this to make a few of your heads explode Local place had a concert this weekend and posted pics to their FB. Masks, what masks?
104121373_2710889845824075_1149114942865327875_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=EXNI4hqifHAAX_q_Rjb&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=3d5ac47d1f913ebf739085e781d27a83&oe=5F0F27BE
104025987_2710889859157407_3781103938099334287_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=OgmX6EV5opcAX__7itt&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=720407789c9dd81bd03438b689235104&oe=5F10CA7D

40% of the population is going to kill 5-10% of the total population before we are done with all this.
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 9:16 PM, dcar00 said:

would it not be important to know if the positive person attended a protest?  we are talking all of 5 seconds to ask and answer.

NO NO NO NO. You cannot ask questions that might cast a bad light on those warriors.....  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Actually...

Updates

Texas: "The reported cases for June 16 include 2,622 new cases and 1,476 cases that were previously diagnosed among Texas Department of Criminal Justice inmates but that had not been reported by local health departments (887 from Anderson County and 589 from Brazoria County)." [source]

Fair enough, but that's a bold strategy .... don't count them when they occur so your numbers are lower then and then dump the data later but say it doesn't count because they should have been counted earlier but were not.  Even removing the prisoner cases, 2,622 cases is a single day record for Texas.

Hospitalizations statewide also hit a new record and went above 2,500 for the first time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Looks like Beijing getting frisky.  They are claiming that it is a new strain to China, blaming it on european imports to their fish markets. 

i find this shit fascinating. 

These looters are from out of state, so there is nothing to worry about

There is no community transmission - just from travelers

The problem on the beaches are the tourists! they are ruining it for everyone

I realize, through sheer strong willed cynicism, that humans are dumb. I wonder if we are entering a new world of rationalising with stupidity on a grander scale because of the pandemic. 

I need some good news so imma just make some the fuck up!

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TxTower said:

What goes around, comes around. Boomerang effect at work..., if true.

narrator : It's not..its China.  their cold war/disinformation is from the 50's. a 3rd grader can figure it out.  

• Like 1

Per capita relative to what? There are many per capitas. 

Italy has ~60m people and 34k covid deaths in like 3 months.

Texas has roughly half the pop. ~30m people and 2k deaths in 3 months. I guess if Italy records 0 deaths for the next 24 months, Texas will catch them in per capita deaths?

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

Actually...

Updates

these freakin numbers almost caused me a panic earlier today...my dad lives in Anderson Co. and the number had been consistently low...i checked today on a whim...989 cases 😮

call dad to update him bc he hasnt been paying much attention... and he informs me he's on his way to choir practice at church 😳

anyway, we figured they were mostly from the TDCJ facility, but the guards that work there likely came from Palestine.

i did also explain to him about CHOIR PRACTICE being specifically identified as superspreader events. at least he plays in the band and isnt in the mix of people and he says he wears a mask. 

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Austin MSA hospitalizations are blowing up.

Over the past few days when I've been jogging in the evening, I've seen full-on basketball games at our park.  And some of those dudes probably have underlying symptoms.   I saw one mask, but if you've got 8-9 guys playing hard and sweating their asses off, I don't see how it helps much, especially if it's soaked through.

If it's like this now, I can only imagine that there's going to be some hard conversations about July 4.   Feels like the state is going to have to take a few steps back if this keeps up.

3 hours ago, staboner said:

I wonder if we are entering a new world of rationalising with stupidity on a grander scale because of the pandemic. 

There are a lot of garbage news silos people get stuck in. And those silos create dollars for Carlos Slim and Jeff Bezos. Those two monopolists should not be controlling the NYT and WP. They like news silos. It's good for business. Effect - polarized nation with less ability to understand fact from fiction. That's dangerous.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Over the past few days when I've been jogging in the evening, I've seen full-on basketball games at our park.  And some of those dudes probably have underlying symptoms.   I saw one mask, but if you've got 8-9 guys playing hard and sweating their asses off, I don't see how it helps much, especially if it's soaked through.

If it's like this now, I can only imagine that there's going to be some hard conversations about July 4.   Feels like the state is going to have to take a few steps back if this keeps up.

I hope the heat slows the virus.  

Heat will slow it.  Problem is all us Texans will be inside the A/C hurtling droplets at each other because masks don't kill the Covid, they do kill muh freedoms!  

Edited by Lobo

Abbott doesn’t need to give power to the mayor’s. What he needs to do is just make masks mandatory at stores and places of worship.

Bars are definitely an issue. Went down to get Garaj Mahal the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and the bars just operating pretty close to normal. Main measures I saw were to protect staff. The bars have patios so no capacity limits. Most restaurants are doing everything very responsible. 

11 hours ago, XYZ said:

Austin MSA hospitalizations are blowing up.

Is there any "Field of Dreams" effect going on here? I mean the "if you build it they will come" aspect. Hospitals have sent a lot of staff home and need patients of some variety so why not hospitalize cases that they would have considered marginal 2 months ago? A shit ton of symptomatic folks were sent home to ride it out when this all started.

Hate to be cynical but I do wonder about these things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Is there any "Field of Dreams" effect going on here? I mean the "if you build it they will come" aspect. Hospitals have sent a lot of staff home and need patients of some variety so why not hospitalize cases that they would have considered marginal 2 months ago? A shit ton of symptomatic folks were sent home to ride it out when this all started.

Hate to be cynical but I do wonder about these things.

Another data point that I am curious about is the average length of stay. I don’t default to abuse of the system, but interested in the trends. As we have effective therapeutics coming on line might expect to see longer lengths of stay among some individuals which would increase the daily census but not daily new admits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Another data point that I am curious about is the average length of stay. I don’t default to abuse of the system, but interested in the trends. As we have effective therapeutics coming on line might expect to see longer lengths of stay among some individuals which would increase the daily census but not daily new admits. 

The less cynical side of me tends to think that it's possible that at the beginning we were only admitting the worst of cases. Probably a lot of folks early on were sent home who should have had a hospital stay. Not so much abuse as a shift in standards for admission. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You saw a pickup basketball game? Here they have started the youth baseball season. 6 diamonds completely full of kids and their relatives, also schools have started summer strength and conditioning sessions for 7-12.

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

Abbott doesn’t need to give power to the mayor’s. What he needs to do is just make masks mandatory at stores and places of worship.

Bars are definitely an issue. Went down to get Garaj Mahal the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and the bars just operating pretty close to normal. Main measures I saw were to protect staff. The bars have patios so no capacity limits. Most restaurants are doing everything very responsible. 

Welcome to 3 months ago on the masks

why this country hasnt enacted a mandatory mask law is fucking hilariously idiotic

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away