Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
InkaUtexas

DT: COVID-19 - NO POLITICS ALLOWED

Also, for the “masks are libtard fascist bullshit” crowd:

1 minute ago, immamac said:

So the question is when do I lock this thread because it's over lol. 

Its not over until Palm Beach and Broward Counties report...

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Ballgame months ago.

This morning I went to NAPA to buy a part, and not one employee or customer had a face mask on. Weird because only a couple of days ago I had been to the same NAPA and all the employees had face masks on, and they wanted for you to hold the items in front of the scanner so that they didn’t have to touch them. This morning was like hey, did I fall into a coma without realizing it and six months went by and this coronavirus stuff has been cured and nobody told me?

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

When we can go to a UT football game? 

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's like the tide, It rises and it falls.

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

Weed out the people who seem to have an outsized sense of self-importance because the live in NYC?  

You've never met somebody from New Jersey, have you?

Is it still mandatory in Austin or Travis County to wear face covering while in public?

I'm sick and tired of dealing with groceries for the elderly and senior citizens.  I don't know how Armybrat has survived all these decades of buying this stuff.

Like, if I didn't have kids, I'm cool with society veering towards Logan's Run for 40 or 50 year-olds.

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t know shit about NY politics and therefore don’t engage. Besides, saying a decision is unpopular is much different that blaming a single person for all our country’s failures and even beginning to compare poor decisions with conscious cover-up.

No shit? The problem is, that’s all you bring. I honestly can’t remember you actually discussing anything without acting like a bitch in the process.

It sounds like we both agree it's impossible to have any level of in-depth discussion about this crisis without it becoming overtly political. What we are watching unfold is quite literally why governments exist: to protect the health and well-being of its citizenry. Every aspect of this is political...from the messaging put out by officials, to the data reported, to the public policy responses that are made or not made as a reaction to the public health and economic calamity occurring...it's all political, so this thread is also inherently political. but then that echo chamber gets disrupted and a handful of mouth breathers complain about 'politics'. it's laughable. 

I have no idea what this has to do with me or my post.

oh my bad. a few posts ago you had mentioned your voting bonafides. i assumed that was because you wanted to me a point and in doing so, you labeled me as a partisan. so i responded to let you know a bit about my voting history. but if your original attempt at doing that was pointless, then i apologize for responding in kind. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2020 at 3:29 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I'm sick and tired of dealing with groceries for the elderly and senior citizens.  I don't know how Armybrat has survived all these decades of buying this stuff.

Like, if I didn't have kids, I'm cool with society veering towards Logan's Run for 40 or 50 year-olds.

If 40-50 yr olds are old, You'll be in for a word of hurt before you know it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I went to one of Nebraska’s primitive state parks today and hiked a bit on the banks of the Missouri. It seemed like everyone was pretty well behaved and distant, but the trails are kind of muddy and rattlesnakey this time of year too, and other than kayaking one of the oxbows you’re not doing much in the river with the water up a bit. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Is it still mandatory in Austin or Travis County to wear face covering while in public?

It's never been mandatory.  There's no penalty of fines or imprisonment.  It's this batshit crazy Texas ideology where it's good southern manners to not cough on other people in public.  I know it's insane to some people, but some of us find it a rather gentlemanly thing to do.  some of you easily transfer your rights much more easily over to the state, under penalty of law.  This was just a polite ask.  "Hey, maybe don't breathe your infected bullshit on old people at the liquor store."  That was it, that's all it was.  But we couldn't do that. \

Now if you'll excuse me, my company is hemorrhagging employees right now.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If 40-50 yr olds are old, You'll be in for a work of hurt before you know it.

I'm in my 40s with two kids under the age of 8. I feel old as fuck sometimes.

rt.live now has Texas leading the nation.  According to them, our R number has risen from 0.83 on April 5th to 1.09 now and we are #1!  Texas is one of only five states over 1.0.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ouch. If you feel old now, just wait 'til your in your 50s and they're teenagers.......At least then, they might be able to help you up after a fall, or them knocking you down. 🙂

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wish I was in your shoes. 57, and the kids are 27, and 28, and there's not a day that goes by I don't think about when they were living under our roof, and wishing for those days again.  

Lots of pain in the ass days, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  My game plan was to be 50'ish when they were graduating college.

I wish I was in your shoes. 57, and the kids are 27, and 28, and there's not a day that goes by I don't think about when they were living under our roof, and wishing for those days again.  
Lots of pain in the ass days, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  My game plan was to be 50'ish when they were graduating college.

I get your empathy...but 24/7 parenting the last 2.5 months has been real tough. This last work week has been the most I’ve been out of the house/away from my 2 kids under 5 since March 11.

12 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

rt.live now has Texas leading the nation.  According to them, our R number has risen from 0.83 on April 5th to 1.09 now and we are #1!  Texas is one of only five states over 1.0.

Good news from Justhookit and his walking germ transfer of a wife. they must be quite pleased. What a world 

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

My game plan was to be 50'ish when they were graduating college.

Our game plans align fairly well. I plan to be 50’ish and have girlfriends who are still in college.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I get your empathy...but 24/7 parenting the last 2.5 months has been real tough. This last work week has been the most I’ve been out of the house/away from my 2 kids under 5 since March 11.

Yeah, I imagine the last few months have been a struggle. Trust me, you'll look back on these times one day, and wax nostalgic.

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Our game plans align fairly well. I plan to be 50’ish and have girlfriends who are still in college.

Make sure you post plenty of pics.....

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

in about 9-10 years, you'll become a complete idiot as well.

Then around their mid- 20's, they're gonna realize how fucking smart you are after all.

3 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Then around their mid- 20's, they're gonna realize how fucking smart you are after all.

Until they get on Surly.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.”

That’s both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

“But that's not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It's the CDC's new "best estimate" for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients...

Now here's what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate of the coronavirus:
0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: 0.2%
65+ years old: 1.4%
Overall ages: 0.4%

According to the CDC's current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that's just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.”

38 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Garbage in and garbage out. Noisy data with rapid changes in the middle of a pandemic. Sorry, but a running R tracker is a fool’s errand.

Update 5/23/20

May 1, 2020 - Beginning on May 1, 2020 (Friday), retail stores, restaurants, places of worship, movie theaters and malls will be allowed to operate at 25% capacity. The Travis County Fire Marshal's Office has provided a business reopening guidance.

Travis County Wuhan Flu Deaths - Cumulative total

3/27: 1 death

5/19: 79 deaths

5/20: 81 deaths

5/21: 82 deaths

5/22: 83 death

5/23: 83 deaths 

Last Five Days: +4  (0)

Travis County Health Care Stats: Current numbers

5/19: Hp - 92, ICU - 35, Vent - 21

5/20: Hp - 90, ICU - 39, Vent - 25

5/21: Hp - 89, ICU - 38, Vent - 22

5/22: Hp - 96, ICU - 39, Vent - 24

5/23: Hp - 92, ICU - 38, Vent - 23

Last Five Days: Hp: 0, ICU: +3, Vent: +2

https://austin.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/39e4f8d4acb0433baae6d15a931fa984

US Death Total 5/23/20

Nursing Home/Extended Care Deaths: 45,342 (52.4%)

Remaining Population (all ages):           41,119

Total:                                                           86,460

Highest State Death Totals:

NY: 23,083

NJ: 11,081

Mass: 6,304

Total: 40,468 (46.8% of total deaths)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ETm51GayRjlnoaRVtUOWfkolEeAQZ-zPhXkCbVe4_ik/htmlview#gid=435667374

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.”

That’s both good and bad, depending on how you look at it.

“But that's not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It's the CDC's new "best estimate" for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients...

Now here's what the CDC is saying about the fatality rate of the coronavirus:
0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: 0.2%
65+ years old: 1.4%
Overall ages: 0.4%

According to the CDC's current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that's just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.”

good info.  hmmm who kept saying between .2 and .3?

Yeah, OK, fatality rate is very low, but what about the rate of people who end up with damaged lungs for the rest of their lives? What’s the rate of that?

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, OK, fatality rate is very low, but what about the rate of people who end up with damaged lungs for the rest of their lives? What’s the rate of that?

“Four???” — Thornton Melon

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I apologize this may not turn out as bad as you’d hoped. You may still get lucky, be patient.

29 minutes ago, XYZ said:

the answer is always 42

These numbers are so far outside of the scientific consensus that this strikes me as a devious and cynical effort to manipulate not only federal modeling but the broader scientific discourse.

This disease is severe, has the potential to overwhelm any community on its own. Seeing Texas transmission rate #1 is a dick punch.

If you’re worried about the economy you need to encourage mask-wearing and safe work environments. We also need accurate and real-time mortality data (overall, non-accidents or homicides) to remove any ambiguity.

Jersey’s trying to single out NYC residents to prevent them to going to their beaches. Not sure how they’ll “enforce” that. Racial profile? No cloak.
So is Long Island.

Just wear your masks - please? It's not too much to ask. A second wave will crater the economy even further (and kill a lot of people unnecessarily). Thank you.

spacer.png 

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just wear your masks - please? It's not too much to ask. A second wave will crater the economy even further (and kill a lot of people unnecessarily). Thank you.

spacer.png 

I like to call this one.. "Le Jeu de Balle"

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

and kill a lot of people unnecessarily

I’m suddenly reminded of an old Tool song, Disgustipated.

Edited by Casual Encounter

42 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

This disease is severe, has the potential to overwhelm any community on its own. Seeing Texas transmission rate #1 is a dick punch.

If you’re worried about the economy you need to encourage mask-wearing and safe work environments. We also need accurate and real-time mortality data (overall, non-accidents or homicides) to remove any ambiguity.

likely not.  you realize the transmission rate is all a wild ass guess right? no one knows at all what the transmission rate is.  

agree it would be good to have accurate mortality rate.  old person gets covid 19 turns to pneumonia.  they die of pneumonia what do you mark it as?

It seems to me that clamoring about mask wearing on this thread will not get one more person to wear a mask that isn’t already. So can we stop? 

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

It seems to me that clamoring about mask wearing on this thread will not get one more person to wear a mask that isn’t already. So can we stop? 

agreed.  who on this thread is refusing to wear a mask(in the appropriate situation)?  I keep wondering if clouds look like non masking wearing surly folks to some poeple...

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I apologize this may not turn out as bad as you’d hoped. You may still get lucky, be patient.

Fuck you man.  It’s bad enough.  Stop minimizing it.  

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

likely not.  you realize the transmission rate is all a wild ass guess right? no one knows at all what the transmission rate is.  

Because we aren't testing for transmission rate? Is that an important fact for mitigation? Or can we mitigate efficiently by limiting group size (and accounting for those who refuse to do the neighborly thing by covering their mouths and noses in public)? 

Honestly questions. I have a gut feeling on the answers. Perhaps we are too reliant on limiting group size and should be stressing nationwide testing - daily for those in public?