Overrated Austin restaurants?

Chet Steadman

Original "George's" was in, and memory fades, an old Dairy Queen. About where 1st (Chavez) and 5th intersect. Across the street from, again memory fails, Arkie's. By far the best enchiladas I ever ate. A lawyer, Bruce Sternberg, helped Jorge financially and he opened a new place. I can't remember where the second place was, but I can see the interior in my mind's eye. Before Lavaca, before Hancock. I just can't remember. Stayed pretty darn good for several years, then things started to go down hill.   

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Joes Bakery has the silkiest refried beans I’ve ever tasted. 

La Mancha is good, but their queso is not good. Which kind of is a deal killer 

Lupe is definitely better than Matt’s 

Maudie’s cheese enchiladas are decadently good. But yeah, the rest of their menu is sub par. 

Ninfas  has the best refried beans and it’s not close. Shame on you

Man. I miss Jorge’s. Can’t say the food was the best but spent many eating out nights with my mom as kid eating those enchiladas or the fajita plate when the grandparents would come into town. And years later getting shitty in the bar with my dad. Many memories. 

On 5/15/2019 at 10:53 AM, South Austin said:

The green chili chicken stew at Chuy's is outstanding.  I think they may put some of the deluxe tomatillo sauce in it.  I don't think I've ordered anything else there over the past 5 years or so.  And the jalapeno ranch dip is indeed like crack.

I'm one of the white folk that frequents La Mancha, and I agree that it's good, not great.  It's right down the street for us, so it's a quick and easy place that we know the kids will like on nights where I just don't feel like cooking.  The chicken chili relleno is pretty solid, and I've been known to slam some carnitas hash for brunch to help get over a hangover.  As I recall, Brisket, you're a lawyer, so you'll appreciate that we see Professor Stanley Johansson there quite a bit.  If fact, we celebrated the win over TCU last fall with him in the bar area, and I got a celebratory picture with my kids and him.

We like La Mancha better than it's predecessor Jorge's, which had really great salsa and margaritas, but the food was overpriced for the quality. 

How do you people get drunk at La Mancha?  They have among the weakest drinks of any TexMex place in town.  

8 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Maudie's has consistently horrible service.  I won't go back, there are too many places that are better.

The service was unbelievably bad.  Our waiter went AWOL for probably 45 minutes, and then tried to make up for it by interrupting our conversation on several occasions.

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can pound some chips and that creamy jalapeño dip.

Also pro tip get a side of the boom boom sauce.  I don’t get any of the hate I’ve never had a bad meal there. I thinks it like other things something is popular so some people have to hate on it or cause it’s not “Tex mex”.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

I won't refuse to go to Chuy's, but I always feel completely awful after I eat there.  I think there probably is a larger salt addition to the food there than any other Tex-Mex place to which I've ever been.  We live down the street from one and I'm loath to go there for fear of not being able to move a muscle for the rest of the day.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bigpoppapump said:

but the top sushi place in NY, all the fish is properly aged frozen for weeks before being served.  I

no, this is very incorrect. I know first hand that many places source their fish directly from boats and from the Market, which in turn is getting fish that is "hours" old. Yes, there are fine restaurants that buy frozen, and I don't know what you consider to be "the top" but you comment is not accurate. 

5 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Half the time I have Chuy's chicken fajitas they are complete ass. Texture is rubbery, almost like they weren't thawed or something. Could drink the queso though and the flautas are solid

i dont know but that sure sounds like pre cooked, pre cut ha 

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Enchiladas are really good, it is not a regular spot but if I end up there this is the only thing I order. But I agree feeling like shit afterwards. Probably has something to do with the salt and the creamy jalapeño sauce being like 500 calories for a small bowl. That meal has to be 3000 calories.

13 hours ago, next2naus said:

no, this is very incorrect. I know first hand that many places source their fish directly from boats and from the Market, which in turn is getting fish that is "hours" old. Yes, there are fine restaurants that buy frozen, and I don't know what you consider to be "the top" but you comment is not accurate. 

Wow necrobump, I was speaking to Masa Takayama, I can't remember what show it was from, but he went over how all his fish is aged for like 2 weeks or something.  It might've been a netflix show, again necrobump.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Might've been mentioned but back in my day El Patio was consistently the drunk Mexican food place. Was and likely is still awful. 

Never went there as a student.  Ate there for lunch with a work crowd sometime in the 2008-ish time frame, and concluded that it must be a money-laundering front.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Never went there as a student.  Ate there for lunch with a work crowd sometime in the 2008-ish time frame, and concluded that it must be a money-laundering front.

Yeah, I don't get it. I've made food better than this at home, at 3:00 a.m., while shitfaced drunk. 

elpatio.jpg

Jovita’s lasted awhile with mediocre TexMex and Black Heroin. Incidentally, wasn’t Black Heroine your mom’s nickname?
  • Hook 'Em 1