Cuomo

Incredulity

Cuomo must be impeached and removed. Criminal investigation should continue. Despicable what happened to his citizens in nursing homes. Absolutely despicable if he played a role in it. 

As for the sexual assault allegations, believe the women.  Fucker strutted around like a fat nipple-barred pig. (or was that his brother).

I admired Mario. His kids, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/nyregion/cuomo-charlotte-bennett-sexual-harassment.html

Staggering 180 in political fortunes in the last few weeks.  Seems like someone decided he needed to get got.  Amazing.
I'm not a Cuomo fan. I've said for ages that he had fucked up on COVID, and did some of what he did to NYC out of spite for his political fund with BdB (whom I loathe). However, it does appear that a lot of bad Cuomo news is all coming out at one time. Could it be people smell blood in the water and are just piling on (previously, he seemed untouchable as he was "America's" Governor due to absence of Federal leadership).

I'm willing to see what the investigation comes out with, but he's done. I've said for ages he had lots of skeletons, and I was referring more to his time as his dad's enforcer.
  • Like 1

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

However, it does appear that a lot of bad Cuomo news is all coming out at one time. Could it be people smell blood in the water and are just piling on (previously, he seemed untouchable as he was "America's" Governor due to absence of Federal leadership).

The bad news is getting worse and it is a national story now. 

CPAC is having a field with Cuomo and Newsome. 

Cuomo is in trouble. Blood is in the water. 

• Like 1

As i know @Incredulity is irritated and flummoxed by paywalls:

Spoiler

ALBANY, N.Y. — A second former aide to Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo is accusing him of sexual harassment, saying that he asked her questions about her sex life, whether she was monogamous in her relationships and if she had ever had sex with older men.

The aide, Charlotte Bennett, who was an executive assistant and health policy adviser in the Cuomo administration until she left in November, told The New York Times that the governor had harassed her late last spring, during the height of the state’s fight against the coronavirus.

Ms. Bennett, 25, said the most unsettling episode occurred on June 5, when she was alone with Mr. Cuomo in his State Capitol office. In a series of interviews this week, she said the governor had asked her numerous questions about her personal life, including whether she thought age made a difference in romantic relationships, and had said that he was open to relationships with women in their 20s — comments she interpreted as clear overtures to a sexual relationship.

Mr. Cuomo said in a statement to The Times on Saturday that he believed he had been acting as a mentor and had “never made advances toward Ms. Bennett, nor did I ever intend to act in any way that was inappropriate.” He said he had requested an independent review of the matter and asked that New Yorkers await the findings “before making any judgments.”

Ms. Bennett said she had tried to dodge the question by responding that she missed hugging her parents. “And he was, like, ‘No, I mean like really hugged somebody?’” she said.

Mr. Cuomo never tried to touch her, Ms. Bennett said, but the message of the entire episode was unmistakable to her.

“I understood that the governor wanted to sleep with me, and felt horribly uncomfortable and scared,” Ms. Bennett said. “And was wondering how I was going to get out of it and assumed it was the end of my job.”

Ms. Bennett said she had disclosed the interaction with Mr. Cuomo to his chief of staff, Jill DesRosiers, less than a week later and was transferred to another job, as a health policy adviser, with an office on the opposite side of the Capitol, soon after that. Ms. Bennett said she had also given a lengthy statement to a special counsel to the governor, Judith Mogul, toward the end of June.

Ms. Bennett said she ultimately decided not to insist on an investigation because she was happy in her new job and “wanted to move on.” No action was taken against the governor.

In his statement, Mr. Cuomo called Ms. Bennett a “hard-working and valued member” of his staff with “every right to speak out.” He said that Ms. Bennett had opened up to him about being a sexual assault survivor, and he had tried to be supportive and helpful. “The last thing I would ever have wanted was to make her feel any of the things that are being reported,” the governor said.

The governor did not deny that he asked Ms. Bennett personal questions; he said in the statement that he would have no further comment until the review concluded.

Ms. Bennett’s account follows another detailed accusation published on Wednesday by Lindsey Boylan, a former state economic development official who said that Mr. Cuomo had harassed her on several occasions from 2016 to 2018, at one point giving her an unsolicited kiss on the lips at his Manhattan office.

Mr. Cuomo’s office has called Ms. Boylan’s accusations untrue, but they have nonetheless prompted calls for investigations into her claims. In addition to the two women’s harassment allegations, the governor, a third-term Democrat, is confronting significant political fallout over his handling of the state’s nursing homes during the pandemic.

After seeing Ms. Boylan detail her accusations against Mr. Cuomo, Ms. Bennett shared Ms. Boylan’s account on Twitter, suggesting that people read it if they wanted a true picture of “what it’s like to work for the Cuomo” administration.

The Times contacted Ms. Bennett, and she agreed to relate her own account of harassment. She said she felt an obligation to other victims of sexual harassment and wanted to counter the way Mr. Cuomo “wields his power.”

Ms. Bennett said she had told her parents and friends about the exchange with the governor around the time that it happened, as well as about her growing discomfort with having to work closely with him, and had kept text messages from that period.

The Times reviewed the messages and confirmed their contents with those who received them. Ms. Bennett also retained text messages from Ms. DesRosiers and Ms. Mogul that alluded to their meetings in June, but did not mention the subject matter.

“I have no problem with what they did,” Ms. Bennett said of Ms. DesRosiers and Ms. Mogul, describing both women as sympathetic to her concerns. “I have a problem with what the governor did.”

Ms. Bennett was hired by the administration in early 2019, working out of the governor’s Manhattan office as a briefer, an entry-level position. She had graduated from Hamilton College in 2017, where she was active in women’s issuesand founded a sexual misconduct task force. She said her own experience in surviving a sexual attack had prompted her to “help sexual assault survivors be heard and enforce victims’ rights,” according to a bulletin on the college’s website.

By mid-2019, Ms. Bennett had been promoted to senior briefer and executive assistant after an interview with Mr. Cuomo. The two became friendly, she said, and they bonded over shared connections with Westchester County: At the time, he was living with Sandra Lee, a celebrity chef, in Mount Kisco; Ms. Bennett was living with her parents in a neighboring hamlet. She mentioned to Mr. Cuomo that she had played middle-school soccer against one of his daughters, who are also in their mid-20s.

“We got along really well,” she said of the governor. Mr. Cuomo, she said, would sometimes ask questions about her dating life that she said seemed inappropriate but not necessarily unmanageable.

“I saw him more as a father figure,” she said. “I wasn’t thinking about it as anything sexual.”

In January 2020, Ms. Bennett sent her mother a text. “Had a really long convo with Gov today,” she wrote, outlining a two-hour conversation about numerous topics, including her career goals.

“He had a lot to say and was very emotional and serious but also asked a lot of questions,” she wrote, adding, “He got emotional. Not me.”

Ms. Bennett’s mother, Jessica, confirmed the text, and her feeling, at the time, that it was reassuring that the governor seemed to be taking on the role of a mentor.

Ms. Bennett said she was asked in late March to begin working in Albany as part of the state’s Covid-19 response effort. Two months later, in mid-May, the governor’s perception of their relationship seemingly began to change, she said.

On May 15, she said she arrived at the Capitol around 7 a.m. to find Mr. Cuomo already at work. Ms. Bennett was there to drop off some briefing papers, but Mr. Cuomo was chatty, asking about her love life and, in a gossipy way, whether she was involved with other members of the governor’s staff. She memorialized the exchange in several texts to another Cuomo staff member that The Times reviewed.

Ms. Bennett said she had mentioned a speech she was scheduled to give to Hamilton students about her experience as a survivor of sexual assault. She said she had been taken aback by Mr. Cuomo’s seeming fixation on that element of her life experience.

“The way he was repeating, ‘You were raped and abused and attacked and assaulted and betrayed,’ over and over again while looking me directly in the eyes was something out of a horror movie,” she wrote in a second text to her friend. “It was like he was testing me.”

In retrospect, Ms. Bennett said, she viewed the May 15 meeting “as the turning point in our relationship.”

“Anything before it I now see differently,” she said. “I now understand that as grooming.”

Three weeks later, Ms. Bennett said, she was summoned to Mr. Cuomo’s second-floor office and was asked to take dictation with another aide.

After the second aide left, Mr. Cuomo and Ms. Bennett continued their work. When they finished, she said, he asked her to turn off her recorder, and he began a winding conversation that touched on the Black Lives Matter protests and his daily news conferences.

But, Ms. Bennett said, the governor also started to ask questions about her personal life, including whether she was romantically involved, whether she was monogamous in her relationships and whether she had ever had sex with older men.

A series of text exchanges with a female friend from that afternoon, June 5, comported with Ms. Bennett’s recounting of the story this week. In the texts, she told her friend that she was shaken and upset by the episode and worried about even writing it down.

“Something just happened and I can’t even type it out or put it in a video,” Ms. Bennett wrote.

Ms. Bennett went on to say to her friend, who confirmed the texts’ content and validity but asked not to be identified for fear of retribution, that she and the governor had just spoken “about age differences in relationships.”

When her friend asked whether Mr. Cuomo had done anything physical to Ms. Bennett, she responded: “No but it was like the most explicit it could be.”

The next day, the women continued to discuss the episode via text. Ms. Bennett wrote that the governor had asked her whether she was having sex with other people “while in my recent relationships.”

In the interview, Ms. Bennett said Mr. Cuomo told her he was lonely, particularly since the end of his relationship with Ms. Lee in 2019. He said Ms. Lee was “out of the picture,” according to Ms. Bennett, adding that he referred to “wanting a girlfriend, preferably in the Albany area.”

Ms. Bennett, who had just turned 25 at the time, said Mr. Cuomo had also asked about her feelings about age differences in relationships, saying “age doesn’t matter,” according to a text she sent to her friend.

“He asked me if I believed if age made a difference in relationships and he also asked me in the same conversation if I had ever been with an older man,” Ms. Bennett reiterated in an interview with The Times.

At one juncture, Ms. Bennett said, the governor also noted that he felt “he’s fine with anyone above the age of 22,” a point that came up after they discussed her speech at Hamilton on what was her 25th birthday.

Asked if she felt Mr. Cuomo’s questions and comments were an entreaty to a sexual relationship, Ms. Bennett said: “That’s absolutely how it felt.”

Ms. Bennett said that she had felt deeply uncomfortable with Mr. Cuomo’s comments and had tried to shift the conversation into more neutral territory — something “not about my sex life,” she recalled — like intellectual theories about monogamy and power dynamics, and even a tattoo she was considering getting.

She said Mr. Cuomo had suggested that perhaps she should put the tattoo on her buttocks, so people would not see it when she wore a dress.

A friend of Ms. Bennett’s, a former Cuomo administration official, said he had spoken to her shortly after the June 5 episode. He confirmed the contours of her account, saying that she had made it clear to him that she believed the governor wanted to have sex with her.

Ms. Bennett told her parents about the encounter within days, her mother recalled, saying her daughter had made a special visit home to do so. “She was obviously upset,” Ms. Bennett’s mother said.

Ms. Bennett said she spoke to Mr. Cuomo’s chief of staff, Ms. DesRosiers, on June 10, five days after the episode.

She said the meeting, in Ms. DesRosiers’s office, had lasted about 10 minutes. Ms. Bennett said she had recounted her interaction with Mr. Cuomo and she recalled that Ms. DesRosiers had asked a few questions, been apologetic and asked to speak to her again in two days.

In a text message sent to a friend after the meeting, Ms. Bennett said Ms. DesRosiers had said: “How can we do this?,” asking whether she wanted to stay in the executive branch or move to another part of the state government.

When Ms. Bennett’s friend asked what that meant, Ms. Bennett explained that an outside job would still be with the administration, but “just not interacting with him.”

She also told her friend, in the same series of texts, that she trusted Ms. DesRosiers but was worried about Mr. Cuomo’s reaction: “I just said I didn’t want him to find out and get mad.”

Two days later, on June 12, Ms. DesRosiers told Ms. Bennett she would be transferred to a new position as a health policy adviser, still working in the executive branch, but in a different part of the Capitol. Her new job was announced in a June 17 email to Department of Health officials. “Welcome Charlotte!” it concluded.

Later that month, Ms. Bennett met with Ms. Mogul, a special counsel to the governor, and repeated her claims. She said, however, that she soon decided to “let this go and move on.”

In a statement on Saturday, Beth Garvey, another special counsel to the governor, said that “Ms. Bennett’s concerns were treated with sensitivity and respect and in accordance with applicable law and policy.” She characterized the transfer to a health policy position as fulfilling “a longstanding interest” of Ms. Bennett’s.

Of Ms. Bennett, Ms. Garvey said, “she was consulted regarding the resolution, and expressed satisfaction and appreciation for the way in which it was handled.” Barbara S. Jones, a former federal judge in Manhattan, will lead the outside review into the matter, Ms. Garvey said.

Ms. Bennett left state government last fall and she now lives and works in a neighboring state. She said that her anger about what had happened had continued to percolate and had led to her departure.

“His presence was suffocating,” she said. “I was thinking that I could recover and have distance but that is so naïve.”

She added that she had been committed to her job in the administration, even after her interactions with Mr. Cuomo, and had tried to “not have him ruin this for me.”

But, she said, “I learned that’s not how that works.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Is that Royko?
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is impossible. Listening to Chirs Cuomo with my parents over the years, I’ve been assured by Chris himself that he is the ultimate moral compass. He’s never done a bad thing in his life and can’t fathom how someone can. What a fucking douche bag. Such a holier than thou cocksucker. Burn that fucking family to the ground 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is impossible. Listening to Chirs Cuomo with my parents over the years, I’ve been assured by Chris himself that he is the ultimate moral compass. He’s never done a bad thing in his life and can’t fathom how someone can. What a fucking douche bag. Such a holier than thou cocksucker. Burn that fucking family to the ground 
Chris Cuomo is such a smarmy douchenozzle.
  • Hook 'Em 1

He should resign or be made to resign immediately but be investigated regardless.  If you commit crimes and coverups while in office, you should be investigated, and this needs to be understood by people running for office.  The nursing home coverups should come to light. 

It also opens up a can of worms in Republican states where Covid infections and fatalities were suppressed and mismanaged.  All of this should come out.  

And if there's evidence of Cuomo abusing his power with sexual harassment, then he should be investigated there too.  Investigate Cuomo now and get him out.  What the republicans want though is an ongoing investigation they can continuously dangle and flail publicly for the next four years.  Fuck Cuomo.  Let them CPAC him however they want--don't care and neither does NY.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I read that NY Times article. I believe her. I also think the investigation needs to take place. I absolutely believe Cuomo did what she said.

Yep. Investigate and then he’s gone 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Has Chris been accused of sexual misconduct? 

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/27/nyregion/cuomo-charlotte-bennett-sexual-harassment.html

Staggering 180 in political fortunes in the last few weeks.  Seems like someone decided he needed to get got.  Amazing.

He should have been removed the moment the information surfaced about hiding the true death total of the nursing home residents. What happened there was a travesty and so many families lost loved ones that may have lived had better decisions been made by Cuomo. That it was covered up makes me feel so sad for the family and friends left behind to mourn a loss that perhaps should never have occurred. 

He has to go. He shouldn't have still been the governor yesterday, much less this coming week. When you treat the lives of those you are entrusted to protect like they do not matter at the exact moment they need you most that is cause for immediate removal. Whatever charges can be brought against him, even if it is just civil ones, need to happen ASAP. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Another one solved on the first page. Well done.  

A fine display of neuroplasticity - a bunch of big brains round here.

Hook 'em.

You are going to get me sidetracked here on the Cuomo has to go thread, but neuroplasticity is one of the most fascinating things I have ever been able to study and learn about. We know so little about how our mind works, but if I were in a position to do so I would order several government studies on this in relation to mental illness. I think gaining knowledge about neuroplasticity will likely be the most important part of the fight to combat mental illness.

Okay sidetrack is back off. Back to making sure Cuomo is soon out of a job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

He should have been removed the moment the information surfaced about hiding the true death total of the nursing home residents. What happened there was a travesty and so many families lost loved ones that may have lived had better decisions been made by Cuomo. That it was covered up makes me feel so sad for the family and friends left behind to mourn a loss that perhaps should never have occurred. 
He has to go. He shouldn't have still been the governor yesterday, much less this coming week. When you treat the lives of those you are entrusted to protect like they do not matter at the exact moment they need you most that is cause for immediate removal. Whatever charges can be brought against him, even if it is just civil ones, need to happen ASAP. 

It was well known that they were miscounting the nursing home deaths back in late spring early summer, and that it was being used to keep the emergency powers in place. We’re you pissed off then? I was, because NYC was being fucking locked in while the rest of the state was opening up. It’s still a thing, FYI.

Somebody get lost on the way to the Daily Texan board?

Absolutely No Politics

Cuomo's acts are despicable, and he should pay.

Snowflakes too cowardly to address the same in their own back yard are less despicable but still despicable. The next move is to make it about sexual harrassment in general, both sides it, and feel safe again. They won't answer questions or even appear on threads about their own guys other than to continually regurgitate the strategy just described.

They think this will work because they assume everyone is as shamelessly devoted to their team as they are.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

It was well known that they were miscounting the nursing home deaths back in late spring early summer, and that it was being used to keep the emergency powers in place. We’re you pissed off then? I was, because NYC was being fucking locked in while the rest of the state was opening up. It’s still a thing, FYI.

I did not trust at that time that everything Cuomo was saying was truthful. It was impossible to think something wasn’t right when you could look to Jersey and see the nursing home issues they had with COVID in the early days. I spent the entire summer protesting in DC and all across the city here so any outrage I had was put on the back burner to be completely honest. I do believe that if you do enough wrong things that it catches up with you and this is just horrific on the part of Cuomo. 

Personally I am not against the measures enacted that were put in place. They cost me the ability to do the job I had in mid-town where I made good money as a server. It cost many of my friends as well who I worked with. I have mostly kept to myself during COVID and took good advantage of this time to finish a degree and get started on a master’s in the not too distant future. I realize though that not everyone is happy about the pace with which the city has re-opened. I err on the side of caution in this instance, but do look forward to a new sense of normalcy once the pandemic ends like everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, in addition to Cuomo, guess Incred and the party of law and order can also investigate Cawthorn now too.  Shouldn't be difficult, right? 

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-rep-madison-cawthorn-accused-202419107.html

GOP rising star Madison Cawthorn is facing another wave of harassment accusations.

Hours after Cawthorn made his debut at the Conservative Political Action Conference, BuzzFeed News published an exposé that shed more light on the misconduct allegations leveled against the North Carolina representative. The outlet interviewed more than three dozen people who either described or corroborated instances of sexual, verbal, and physical harassment by the now-25-year-old. The majority of the sources were former students of Virginia’s Patrick Henry College, a private Christian school Cawthorn attended in 2016.

A handful of women claimed Cawthorn “was aggressive, misogynistic, or predatory toward them,” while he was a student. They described instances in which he allegedly called them derogatory names in public, asked inappropriate sexual questions, as well as touching, grabbing, and kissing them without their consent. Some also claimed he would entrap women classmates by taking them on “fun” car rides, during which he would dive recklessly while asking the women about their sexual experiences.

Edited by Mdhorn

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I read that NY Times article. I believe her. I also think the investigation needs to take place. I absolutely believe Cuomo did what she said.

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
16 hours ago, Fletch said:

Chris Cuomo is such a smarmy douchenozzle.

63029687.jpg

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Welp, in addition to Cuomo, guess Incred and the party of law and order can also investigate Cawthorn now too.  Shouldn't be difficult, right? 

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-rep-madison-cawthorn-accused-202419107.html

GOP rising star Madison Cawthorn is facing another wave of harassment accusations.

Hours after Cawthorn made his debut at the Conservative Political Action Conference, BuzzFeed News published an exposé that shed more light on the misconduct allegations leveled against the North Carolina representative. The outlet interviewed more than three dozen people who either described or corroborated instances of sexual, verbal, and physical harassment by the now-25-year-old. The majority of the sources were former students of Virginia’s Patrick Henry College, a private Christian school Cawthorn attended in 2016.

Let's not do the whataboutism thing here.  

21 hours ago, dcar00 said:

hilarious.  check the main webpage for cnn, abc, msnbc, cbs, nbc.  not one link to an Andrew Cuomo story.  Racist Virginia governor never faced repercussions is just one example.  dem pols get a pass.  Cuomo isn't going anywhere because the media doesn't care.

i guess the new york times isn't a  big enough media outlet for dcar00 here. 

let's check those others to see what they're saying:

2021-02-28_13-31-23.thumb.jpg.91cd173805a8e00e50208921931aff0c.jpg

2021-02-28_13-31-05.thumb.jpg.133500664380fb1b5017aef1bba15938.jpg

2021-02-28_13-30-38.thumb.jpg.44a6b4699bff41517f326dfbd915f266.jpg

2021-02-28_13-30-21.thumb.jpg.0d223ad7e92117ecce490131a5e439bc.jpg

2021-02-28_13-27-22.thumb.jpg.3892cc1d505a2c53002a8848e4d56f8e.jpg

nope, nothing about cuomo on any of those. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 5

Christ, I didn’t call for his resignation or post any other inflammatory shit about him.  

I am more interested in how now becomes the time for the reckoning of issues that seem to have been pretty common knowledge for quite some time.  

I think for the most part it’s better to hold elected officials accountable through elections.