Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Something else on the histrionics around the “alpha” and “beta” stuff, it was framed that way by the relative of a recruit. Should have said that earlier, that elguapo can send various recruit families some strongly worded letters about their word choices as well.

i'm guessing whomever bids the highest is the Alpha?

2 hours ago, Askew said:

The consternation about Sark being a "guy's guy" and brilliant mind but not a closer does have a silver lining: profiles for better long-term results, despite possible negative effects for this current cycle. 

Judging by the Noah Cain (?) story, Herman was a pushy closer. So extrapolating to his 2018 'pre-results' class, he probably pushed and closed a good amount of guys, especially the 2018 Houston crew that was gangbusters at the time. But, you get 2-3 years in and Herman's true character starts to show. The guys on the team hate him, results start to sour on the field, and recruits start to shy away as early as 2019 despite getting the hard sell; by 2021 his closing ability is essentially dead. 

Also re the support staff: the fish stinks from the head down. Once Herman was revealed, the support staff was useless. I trust Sark to figure out the staff once things settle in. 

So, I think i'd prefer Sark's true character/culture to start translating to exponentially better recruiting results in 2-3 years rather than peaking early. And in that time work to develop a recruiting infrastructure that fits his culture. The Dabo model. 

E68B207E-A0DB-4DCC-910B-3813F8FDDE01.gif

• Haha 2

Its obvious now that the 22 class will wind up being good not great; at least rankings wise, development will tell the tale eventually. Recruiting as they say is all about relationships and this staff hasn't been recruiting the 22 class very long to Texas. That said if the 23 class isn't in the top 5 then we can all begin to worry. 

And yet I feel we've heard a version of this a few times now.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Its obvious now that the 22 class will wind up being good not great; at least rankings wise, development will tell the tale eventually. Recruiting as they say is all about relationships and this staff hasn't been recruiting the 22 class very long to Texas. That said if the 23 class isn't in the top 5 then we can all begin to worry. 

And yet I feel we've heard a version of this a few times now.

The one thing Sark has working for him is the current perception of the program.  When you look at Vegas win totals, preseason media predictions, and even recruit quotes, it is obvious that most people do not expect us to be any good this year.  If we played our full schedule last year, we would have been a ten win team.  If Sark does that this year, he will be viewed as a program savior.

Trying to think of examples elite recruiting HCs who are personable and well-liked and come across as laid back in 1-1 settings. I guess Pete Carroll is the obvious one and would make a lot of sense of the model for Sark.

I think that approach can work but it probably works better once you have some real success to back up that easy confidence. When you are as vulnerable to negative recruiting as we currently are (and the only counter is Sark’s vision of the program) it’s probably a better time for the hard sell.  

8-4 isn't going to buy us a lot of momentum. 9-3 would be ok but not enough to land us multiple 5 stars. Until we can recruit like Georgia (I think our most comparable situation) we will just be pissing in the wind. Gonna have to completely sell out like Georgia did with Smart. That means dropping crazy bags and pushing the NIL stuff to the limits. We arent doing either, which means we are barely even in the game. 

Here's my patented CFB Tier system. Tier 1 is when you consistently make the 4 team playoff. Tier 2 is when you sometimes make the final 4 but are generally within shooting range. Tier 3 is a program that will make the 12 team playoff consistently. Tier 4 is when you sometimes make the 12 team playoff but are generally within shooting distance. Tier 5 is a consistently top 25 team. 

Right now I have us at Tier 4. If Sark and his staff coach us up we should jump to Tier 3 quickly. I dont think that does much for us recruiting wise compared to what we have been doing. That tier 2 zone is our sweet spot, but we cant get there without a massive effort in the bagman and NIL area. I just dont see it as of today. We just arent as motivated as the current Tier 1 and 2 programs. The fact that we are letting "compliance be our guide for now" with the NIL tells me all I need to know. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Trying to think of examples elite recruiting HCs who are personable and well-liked and come across as laid back in 1-1 settings. I guess Pete Carroll is the obvious one and would make a lot of sense of the model for Sark.

I think that approach can work but it probably works better once you have some real success to back up that easy confidence. When you are as vulnerable to negative recruiting as we currently are (and the only counter is Sark’s vision of the program) it’s probably a better time for the hard sell.  

Mack and depending on the source Dabo.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

If Sark destroys everyone going into December and the Longhorns are top 6 ranked going into bowl season, yes I think it will work itself out. I do think that Sark needs to destroy in all the winnable games and win all the toss up games to recruit above the level that Tom Herman was recruiting at. 

If prospects see young players developing and a great culture in interviews it will drastically move the needle for them. 

Interestingly enough, it's nearly impossible to recruit above the level Herman did in the three-year stretch of '18, '19, and '20. 

Development aside, all we really need is to recruit comparably to that level and make better evaluations. Best example, I don't care about the DB ratings of the guys we got in '18, you don't take a class with 5/6 DBs that lack elite NFL measurables. Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook all had high technical floors at the high school level, totally exposed in college. DMO was a LB playing safety. If we had replaced june 1 guy in that class based purely on elite measurables, we probably are looking at a much different secondary outlook right now. 

I especially trust PK to turn that evaluation trend around.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

8-4 isn't going to buy us a lot of momentum. 9-3 would be ok but not enough to land us multiple 5 stars.

Think we need 10-2 regular season and Bowl game win to move the needle. 

Gotta sweep non-conference.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I am not sure why this is so difficult, but the NFT route was and is the easiest route for recruiting in a Wild West scenario.  Example: Each 'official' signing day graphic is turned into a NFT - you sell 100K shares of the NFT for $20 each = $2MM a recruit day 1.  Big boosters can buy huge amounts of shares augmented with the general public buying smaller pieces.  Think of it like trading cards for adults.  For every Bijan Robinson or Keondre Coburn, just put out another 'official NFT'.  

I am patiently waiting to purchase my 1 share of Lance St Louis.

Caveat: I have no idea how this shit works, and did not sleep at a Holiday Inn.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fitzpatrick to tOSU. 

Wonder if they'd still take Dewberry with 2 OTs already committed. If Kam wants playing time, we're the obvious choice lol

But yeah, looks like we're going the late-bloomer route once again

41 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Wonder if they'd still take Dewberry with 2 OTs already committed. If Kam wants playing time, we're the obvious choice lol

But yeah, looks like we're going the late-bloomer route once again

Hey our last 2 OTs drafted were 3* and nobody wanted the more talented one.

Edited by Bevo14

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Fair enough. Certainly not getting our top guys is bad for prestige and perceived momentum, which is why Mack Brown worked so hard to make sure it never looked like we ever lost a recruiting battle for anybody. So yeah, ok. 

1. Still lots of time.

2. It is Offensive Line, a notoriously difficult position to project out of High School right? 

for us yes

27 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Two kinds of people use alpha/beta - aggys and losers.

I thought the terms were popularized by the incel community. I guess that doesn’t contradict you tho

Edited by UtBlaw
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Askew said:

Interestingly enough, it's nearly impossible to recruit above the level Herman did in the three-year stretch of '18, '19, and '20. 

Development aside, all we really need is to recruit comparably to that level and make better evaluations. Best example, I don't care about the DB ratings of the guys we got in '18, you don't take a class with 5/6 DBs that lack elite NFL measurables. Sterns, Foster, Green, Cook all had high technical floors at the high school level, totally exposed in college. DMO was a LB playing safety. If we had replaced june 1 guy in that class based purely on elite measurables, we probably are looking at a much different secondary outlook right now. 

Yea the lack of athleticism for that DB class was pretty shocking. 

7 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm glad about Campbell and Anderson. Do you feel the same about Harris? Previously you were adamant about both Harris and Anderson.

Still adamant about both.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Green is an athletic dude who played QB in high school. He was just terribly coached.

He ran a 4.8 at a camp. I don't think he's incredibly athletic myself. I could take him in a 40.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Humidor

Hide contents

Name, Image, Likeness

There is a lot to account for when it comes to NIL and that’s even before you consider each state has its own laws that may advantage or disadvantage schools on the recruiting trail. That’s the other side of the coin. Yes, it’s good these players can make money, but Texas needs to ensure success — even if the rules state the school must remain hands off — in order to help recruiting. This law is an absolute gift to Texas

No surprise here, but from the Texas side of things they intend to err on the side of caution and work at the pace of compliance. Compliance is said to be slowing things down but I’m not sure the football side of things is overly concerned, at least not yet. The priority from football’s perspective is player eligibility, especially for the types who might benefit most from NIL.

From our contacts, boosters seem eager to take advantage of the new laws and “help” for lack of a better term.

Fair market value vs paying players to help recruiting

Nobody knows what fair market value is. Players and those in their inner circle are selling UT basically being a pro team in a large market. There’s some merit to that, but these players on a consistently under-performing team aren’t really worth NFL money, outside of maybe Bijan Robinson.

One donor and wise businessman who is working to figure out if he can strike fair market deals with a couple of priority targets says, “If they can strike ten $10,000 deals, that’s real money.”

Players profiting in that manner would certainly help recruiting, but to really help recruiting Bijan Robinson will need to become one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new rules. The Texas staff needs somebody they can point to on the recruiting trail, somebody who demonstrates Texas’ commitment to being at the forefront of wherever this goes.

Last fall, IT wrote that we’d find out if Texas wanted to be a football school. The triumvirate of Kevin Eltife, Jay Hartzell, and Chris Del Conte certainly responded in the affirmative.

Just seven months later, we’ll soon find out if that’s where the limit of their resolve, and if boosters who are in a position to strike deals are committed to being a football school, all at the speed of compliance, of course.

RECRUITING

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) - 2022: After really enjoying his unofficials to Austin, TX and Eugene, OR, Thompson is set to begin his senior year with those two schools on his mind. Thompson brought a good chunk of his family to Austin in late June for his unofficial, and is looking at using one of his two remaining official trips back to the Forty Acres. Alabama and Clemson could also receive the final two OV’s, which would mean two unofficial weekends for Texas. It's still looking like a fall decision for one of the fastest four-stars in the nation, and Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks are all in on this recruitment.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: If there's one recruit who has been to Austin more than Devon, we want to meet him. OU is a threat, but the five-star offensive lineman maintains UT is a top school and will take his official visit to Austin this fall.

DL/EDGE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL): The Longhorns made the final three for the 6-foot-2, 255-pound physical and high energy defensive end along with Alabama and Colorado. Two sources have told IT that Nick Saban would accept a commitment from Finkley, but one source doesn’t believe he’s considered one of the in-state prospects Saban feels like he has to win out for. Texas’ chances may be dependent on what Alabama ultimately decides to do.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Last week, the four-star edge-backer was set to announce his decision on July 20th. We believe that Baylor had the slight edge if he maintained that schedule. But he changed his announcement date on Thursday. Now, he's ready to declare on July 31st. The important thing here is that UT can now get him back on campus, notably July 30th when the Horns staff will host a handful of priority targets for a BBQ, and potentially close the deal. Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate are working hard to ensure the 6-foot-4, 210-pounder picks the Horns. Right now, it's looking better.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: The three-star inside 'backer tells IT he's still on track to make his announcement in September, but we get the sense that date will get moved up. Texas has positioned itself well with Patton, and even though he's not a package deal with fellow East Texan Derrick Brown, they talk frequently and IT knows both like the idea of playing together in college. Brown to UT on July 31st would be a nice boost towards General Patton.

CB Denver Harris, Galena Park North Shore (Houston, TX) - 2022: While IT believes UT is currently in a great position for Harris, IT also believes he’s watching to see how the value of being a Texas football player shakes out when it comes to NIL. He’s most likely to announce in September so Texas has time for NIL to work in its favor, but so do other schools…

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) - 2022: The uber-versatile four-star has turned his recruitment into a Lone Star showdown. As soon as the dead period is lifted in late July, he'll be back on the road to Austin and College Station on July 30 and 31st with a decision expected prior to the first game of the season. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian is a laid back coach and person by nature, but he is beginning to get more aggressive with Anderson so there is no doubt that Anderson knows he’s badly wanted and badly needed in the program. Texas sees him as a leader in the program similar to a role Roschon Johnson has taken on.

So TLDR, compliance is slowing us down on NIL but boosters are ready to "help" (bag style?), we have another Oregon battle (furk), Denver wants to see NIL proof ($$), and someone's been reading CTJ??

59 minutes ago, tokamak said:

So we hired a good guy who was an idiot, then a smart guy who was a raging asshole, and now a smart and nice guy with no killer instinct?

We are absolutely going to crush our next hire. 

The first two are 100% correct.  The 3rd remains to be seen.  

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

So we hired a good guy who was an idiot, then a smart guy who was a raging asshole, and now a smart and nice guy with no killer instinct?

We are absolutely going to crush our next hire. 

Counterpoint, we were apparently interested in James Franklin who is an idiot, a raging asshole, and has no killer instinct. He also lacks all of the stated redeeming qualities.

It could get much worse. 

2 hours ago, Askew said:

Sterns got drafted based almost entirely on his athletic profile. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting